Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sweden avoiding lockdown

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

The whole point of the lockdowns and restrictions were to prevent

-collapse of the health services

-mass graves struggling to contain the inflow of dead bodies.

Turns out Sweden had a similar death rate of over 65's as Ireland had, and Ireland collapsed its health service all by itself (cancer screening etc) to stop it collapsing. 🙄

We got it wrong, but those who couldn't understand that back in March 2020, won't understand now either.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,597 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Cancer screenings and referrals were down in Sweden in 2020. Its health service also had interruptions and cancellations. And do your remember this?

https://www.thelocal.se/20210109/hospitals-in-sweden-forced-to-delay-necessary-operations/

And how did Sweden do compared to its peer countries, you know the nearby countries it is most often compared to?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

I would put my house on Sweden doing exactly the same thing again. But they are just granny murderers I suppose….

• Registered Users Posts: 16,710 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Ooh, now compare Sweden with Norway, Finland and Denmark for an actual like for like comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,245 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Surely we should be comparing Ireland with Peru or someone like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,597 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It's the Swedish thread. How did Sweden do compared to Norway? Finland? Denmark?

You know, the countries any intellectually honest person would be comparing them to if asked to compare Sweden's performance.

Come on, answer up, given you have already demonstrated your ignorance of what actually happened in Sweden by trotting our lines about cancer screening.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,151 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

That would be very foolish as you would lose your house. Tegnell and his cowboys lost the fight in Sweden when the local authorities getting their regional health decisions back put a stop to the insanity and forced the government to back them and sideline Tegnell and his cohort. Since then Giesecke is gone, as is Carlson and no government in Sweden will even dream of doing the same again.

You do now that not only are we not a Nordic country, we are not even geographically close to one ?

Do you even know the history and interconnection of Norway, Denmark and Sweden up to and after the 1814 Peace Treaty of Kiel ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,710 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

That's some running away you're doing :)

But to answer the question, Covid effects different humans and different countries differently hence why we usually categorise humans and also categorise countries. The effects of Covid are seen at both the human level where they get sick and at the country level where lockdowns get enforced, health systems come under pressure and has impacts on the economy.

“Stop comparing Sweden to countries that make them look good you can only compare them to countries that make them look bad”.

Based on data it effected some areas of the world more severely than other. Even for Europe where it was more severe travelling from Northern Europe eastwards. What was so notable about the excess deaths in Sweden compared to the other Nordic countries that Sweden historically has so much in common with, as per my last post is, as the Economist report put, it how much "an exception" Sweden was when compared to those countries

No need to. All you have to do is compare them to to their neighbours who they have so much in common with. Did it ever crossed your mind why that group of countries is referred to as the Nordic nations or the historic connections between them ?

People said that without lockdowns we'd have bodies piling up in the streets... They were wrong. And we can thank Sweden for showing us.

It was always going to be tough for countries like Sweden that have an excellent health service and lots of elderly people as a result.

If they had a worse health service, they would have less elderly people and would be flying even higher in the COVID leagues.

But the reality is, they had no strict lockdowns and their death rate is a lot less than many countries.

Where did you get that from?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1105835/share-of-elderly-population-in-europe-by-country/

All Sweden showed was that had any country followed their strategy of chasing herd immunity they would have had more excess deaths than they did.

The percentages for Sweden`s elderly is no different than that of their Nordic neighbours.

The reality is that Sweden had limited restrictions and their Covid deaths are much greater per capita than their Nordic neighhbours that used lockdown.

Nobody cares Charlie. We were told that bodies would pile up without lockdowns. Sweden proved that that was wrong.

Their death rate is fine compared to lots of other countries.

I have nothing but respect and admiration for a country that valued the freedom and well being of its entire population even if meant a slightly higher death rate while remaining well in line with other countries.

"So I am asking people to give meaning to our freedom and liberty by agreeing to these restrictions. Restricting how we live our lives so that so that others may live.

"I am asking us for a time, to forego our personal liberties and freedoms for a greater cause.

Well I guess that fell on deaf ears. Some people just don't give a fig about other people.

Virtue signalling nonsense.

People on this thread back in 2020 thought Sweden was going to be a bloodbath. When it wasn't, they claimed that Sweden was covering things up and the excess deaths would tell the real story.

The excess deaths came and the number wasn't shocking at all.

Now those people are reduced to making arguements that Sweden had some more deaths than other countries...

• Advertisement

2nd post on thread.

And then from the article above.

Those over the age of 70 or with chronic diseases have been told to stay in their homes without exception over the period, which begins at midnight.

Pretty clear who is was/is at higher risk from the start.

What the **** are talking about? We did pretty much everything that was asked of us and had it thrown back in our faces over and over again. They blamed everyone they possibly could accept the HSE and the fcuking charlatans running it. Flatten the fcuking curve indeed.

You obviously care jac, although what you care about I have no idea, nor do I care.

Sweden`s strategy was unethical. Something that even Tegnell finally had to admit. Why he didn`t realise that when he put the strategy in place, and especially when all their own test results were showing it wasn`t achievable and was just adding to the death toll is anybody`s guess.

Mine would be that the deaths didn`t matter to him and he was determined to push on with the madness hoping against hope that by some miracle it would work until the decision making was taken from him and he was sidelined with the rest of his motley crew.

A bit like some here that defended the strategy and were so adamant that natural acquired immunity would work when even now despite all the evidence they can still not bring themselves to admit they got it so so wrong.

Why are you so outraged on behalf of Swedish people? They don’t care Charlie. And they certainly don’t care about your opinion on it.

I have explained this already. I only originally posted on this thread because I believed that what Sweden was doing, chasing herd immunity was unethical and would cause needless deaths, as a counter to the idiots that were advocating we should be doing the same. That Tegnell and his pals, along with said idiots, were so disingenuous that they would not admit it was a strategy of chasing naturally acquired herd immunity until it could now longer be denied, I found even more dangerous.

To summarise, I`m not a believer that people should be allowed to attempt to influence others with their own baseless science and lies without being challenged on it. Especially when doing it in my country.

Hope that clears it up for you.

This narrative that people would be locked up and pile of bodies on the streets. When you can look at the news and posts at that time and the mainstream media isn't saying that at all. You can read back on this thread or old news articles. They are all on line.

You can't blame the HSE for people ignoring the rules and doing what they heck they liked. Then those same muppets wondering why the lockdown was being extended. Not that the HSE and Govt didn't make mistakes. But you're complaining they didn't do enough and did too much at the same time.

Just because someone expresses an opinion other than your own doesn't mean they are outraged.

I think people are so used to not checking things. They just assume no one will else actually bothering to check things either.

I'm just curious when people claim things are they actually true. I got into the habit of checking news papers and media because so much stuff is just isn't fact checked.

I really do not mind, (even though it is nowadays with the internet so easy to check) where someone will post in good faith some hearsay, but when shown it is incorrect they will except that. What I do mind is poster deliberately continuing to post such rubbish when it has been on numerous occasions shown to them with sources provided that they are incorrect. Even to the level where some attempt to rewrite history.

I just find it disingenuous and dangerous. Especially when the only science to back up their claims are their own made up "science"

• Advertisement

You can keep harping on about deaths if you like but the actual figures show that their deaths are not too bad. It just wasn't the blood bath that some of you predicted.

Ireland and most of the world is now following the Swedish approach. Surely if you support lockdown so much you think that locking down now would save lives?

You must still believe that it's unethical to not do everything in our power to prevent death?

Advertisement