Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

Looking back at the match, I counted only 2 thrown balls by Dublin and 1by Kilkenny - Michael Carey who was actually awarded a free as he was being fouled. Limerick. The referee did not award any frees for a thrown ball. Typically Limerick would throw a dozen followed by Cork and Waterford. Not saying we would come within an asses roar of these teams even if they didn't throw the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Amongst a number of things we need to adopt is, throwing the ball.

Totally disagree with this. Throwing the ball and taking too many steps are a blight on the modern game. Favours athletes rather than hurlers

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

In what must have been a difficult time post the galway game (lot of rubbish talked).huge credit to cody and the players for a getting a big performance (not perfect)but I think it showed we are still a force.if we can create a atmosphere like the tipp game in 13 in the park on Saturday. Kilkenny will be rockin Saturday night. And build up to leinster final will be some craic which I fancy us for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭Rosita

Based on yesterday Kilkenny will beat Wexford easily and the Leinster final will inevitably be Galway v Kilkenny. Galway probably have more about them potentially than Kilkenny but don't score goals whereas Kilkenny do. That makes Galway vulnerable in the same way they made heavy weather of beating Kilkenny in 2018 when they were much better, and lost in 2020 when they were a bit better.

Trying to win with a goals disadvantage is a struggle. A few weeks back it took Kilkenny 70+ minutes to score the same number of points as Galway scored in the first half but Galway were still only scraping through in the end. There's no evidence the Galway manager is capable of addressing this issue. Should be plenty of bitterness that day which will make it fun.

• Advertisement

Oh I agree with you but surely it's time to evaluate what the stronger teams are doing. Little point in moaning about what they're getting away with if it's there to be copied and the refs are ignoring it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭MfMan

Radio 1 match analyst John Mullane was speaking to Joanne afterwards last evening and had a proper meltdown when he saw how the Dubs players were on the pitch afterwards, smiling with supporters and taking selfies. "They've been beaten by 17 points and they're doing this", he kept repeating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭Brian017

I kind of see where he's coming from but what are they meant to do? Walk around with sour pusses on their faces and bate any kid with their hurl that came up to them for an autograph?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

No way should we start doing this. As a county with a proud tradition of handball and indeed outstanding hurlers who were and are outstanding handballers this should be abhorrent to us. It is a blight on the game and I strongly suspect that if it was properly clamped down upon by referees then the likes of Limerick, Cork and Wateford would struggle big time.

Not every good hurler can properly handpass the ball. It's a unique skill that requires a lot of practice to perfect. To accurately handpass a long distance is a very rare skill indeed, I think DJ was the greatest exponent I ever seen of this. Unfortunately some of the biggest cheerleaders against clamping down on this scourge such as Daly and Cusack have prominent roles on RTE and have tried to normalise it. Maybe it's high time they brought someone in to balance out this debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Bitterness??...........don’t think Kilkenny people are that narrow minded......

• Advertisement

The refs clamped down on the throw ball during the league. They've pretty much abandoned it in the championship. Coaches wouldn't have their players using it if it wasn't an advantage. We can continue to stick our heads in the sand but if we don't move with the times SOON, we're doomed. It would appear Cody is waiting for the wheel to turn, it's a big wheel!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭Rosita

Of course not. All the bitterness will be from the opposition. It'll be watching Kilkenny once more rising above it and leaving us with yet another lesson in rectitude and stiff upper lipness that will be the popcorn moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Village87

Dublin were awful, non existent in the full forward line. Richie Reid got on a lot of ball as the free man but hit a lot ball long in crowded areas and we lost it. We need to get the ball 10-15 yards further up the pitch before we go long to the full forward line. Way better than Paddy Deegan in that position all the same. If Dublin had a good full forward line we could have been in trouble in the first half. Mullen, Mossy and Kenny excellent, Mikey Carey solid again. TJ was very good in the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭usernamethatsnotinuse

Wexford saturday, have to expect a win the way they're going. Good result for Westmeath.

Still massive problems around midfield and half forward line, Dublin dominated for most of the first half. Lack of forwards killed them. A lot of players not in it in the first half. Kenny took his points well, hadn’t expected him to play in the forwards. Struggled one on one to win ball, himself and blanchfield have a bit of work to do over the winter. Keoghan played well. Still not pushed on Mullen in midfield, got some good points but the workrate isn't there. Wouldn't be getting carried away with the result, a lot of players still off form, looking like they have at least another month now at least to turn things around

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Formosa

Limerick were blown twice yesterday for throws

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Agree fully. Conor Delaney went fairly full back well but Lawlor is badly needed there if we get over wexford. We will slog away at teams and never give in but im hoping that we try to make more use from Eoin Cody and Billy Ryan up front. Mossy certainly a ball winner and his offloading and distribution are very good. Richie Reid good at mopping up ball and covering defenders. TJ came into the game in the 2nd half and hopefully he can kick on.

he didn't blow for much at all in the first half. Every year in the league, something is picked out to clamp down on and forgotten about in championship. Be lucky to see a free for it in another month

think Wexford like Dublin are way off the pace this year, same performance again is enough to get by. Give Delaney more game time, need Lawlor against Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭kentu

I wouldn't be writing off Wexford so easy like a lot of posters here ...we still have to get to a leinster final some here think we're already in it...The last 5 years has shown any time these teams meet there is never a puck of a ball in it, form usually goes out the window.....Wexford will definitely not fear KK next weekend and if they do beat us we'd be in trouble, but I would also say they have it all to do. We can't be getting too over Confident.

Wexford under Davy I wouldn't write off, think we're seeing the difference he made now

• Advertisement

When I meant to say was that there was no free given for a thrown ball in Kilkenny v Dublin. Very few thrown balls in the match. Limerick got blown twice, could have blown a dozen times.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Corrigible

Totally agree. They should have been penalized for many, many more. One by Tom Morrisey was so obviously blatant that even the RTE commentator Darragh Egan commented on it. One of the two throws called was in front of Lohan and when he roared 'throw' the referee Lyons who was not far away gave it. Having said that limerick were the better team IMO (without Lynch or Gillane!). Hegarty's sending off was a joke.

Cork IMO are the worst culprits at throwing the ball followed closely by Waterford. That game was a throwfest. Owens left blatant throws go at crucial points in the game which in terms of momentum potentially influenced the outcome.

I don't subscribe to the idea that we should join in this throwing spree to gain some kind of parity. It is not a hurling skill. It favours (as Blackcard said) those big athletic teams and reduces the need for hurling skill. Everyone who loves our great game should ask that the rules of the game be observed. When someone throws the ball I will be shouting "throw" and hope that everyone else will do the same. Hopefully this will get the same reaction that Lohan had on Lyons when the ball was thrown in front of him. Finally the RTE pundits and GAA commentators should be highlighting this blight. I at least expect Jackie Tyrell and Liam Sheedy as representatives of counties not following this trend to raise the point more vigorously. But I suppose it's hard to bite the hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

I don't think we'll get carried away with the weekend. Dublin are very poor and made our defenders look better than they are. The second half might cover up the frailties in defence and midfield and our puckouts.You look at nickey quid yesterday and David Fitzgerald daring him to hit Tom morrisey and he putting it in his hand.

it's obvious we reverted to what we're good at and that's route one and winning breaks. In the first half when the game was tight we presisted with being cleaned out on puckouts but it's obvious after all the mistakes against galway we weren't going to mess around with it but any time we did we had Richie Reid as the out ball. If he could give better ball into the forwards we would be much more dangerous. We all knew there'd be a few changes but it was a suprise he put kenny in corner forward but he done well and cody deserves credit for the changes.

Wexford have being dire since the league semi final and on form we should be beating them but they should come with fire in the belly. We definitely won't be complacent and we have good competition for places,donnelly and Billy are probably better subs.There should be a big crowd and a good atmosphere at the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭conor05

I think Wexford will die with their boots on Saturday night, there is always one big kick in a team in a given year and they are facing knockout, the sight of them black and amber alone will make them rise to the occasion.

Yellowbellies always have a huge support.

Expecting an electric atmosphere Saturday night in Nowlan Park!

Positives for me included the good form of Mikey Butler, I keep waiting for him to be cleaned out. Despite what another poster said I thought Adrian Mullen got around the pitch, he was defending on his own 5 m line and attacking on the 45 m line. Eoin Cody kept going even if things didn't go his way. Cian Kenny had good touches and tried hard, needs to get stronger. Mossy will always give you 100%

However, our distribution into the forwards was poor and it is unlikely to improve much this year.

Given all the rumours flying around last week, it was good to see a committed performance

Yeah Mikey Butler has been very good, Carey too. On Mullen, he’s been improving each game but I don’t think he’s the solution to the midfield problems. Need Maher back on form. Maybe deegan could move up if Richie Reid starts. Hopefully next year Kenny will be in there

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Mankbag

We'd be playing Dublin in what? Sorry, what are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭KK36

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭usualstripes

That's correct.

At the moment Galway are on 7 points and Dublin and ourselves are on 6 points so if ourselves and Dublin win at the weekend it will be ourselves and Dublin for the Leinster Final. Cant see it happening though.

We just have to ensure we put in a good performance and get the win v Wexford. This will allow Huw Lawlor a chance to be ready for the Leinster final, more than likely v Galway.

If we got that far id fancy our chances v Galway but we cannot underestimate Wexford Saturday evening. There could be some kind of a sting there. Any news on Huw Lawlor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

The controversial late draw Wexford got against Galway means Galway haven’t yet got their Leinster Final spot. If they had, I suspect Henry would do what Lohan is going to do, and field a 2nd team. Now that would have elicited a head explosion by Cody if we got eliminated on that.

Laois being well beaten by Offaly in Leinster minor final last night only accentuates how bad Kilkenny played. Unlike the shock loss at U21 in 2016 to Westmeath, when we went in cold, we had two matches under our belt and should have got a decent performance at least, but got a shocker.

Feel bad for Laois, massive crowd of 15,000 or more there last night, hope they don’t cop hidings from Galway and Clare in play offs that might undo the good work to date.

Advertisement