Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

So less supply as the population still grows that will really help reduce prices

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

Remember during the heights of the Celtic tiger bubble, intergenerational mortgages were put forward as a mechanism for propping up prices,

Would that have been a better outcome than the complete dysfunction we have currently.

Pathway to homeownership at least for your children. Think of what awaits those children whose parents become lifelong renters at extortionate prices. Who'll pay for healthcare when "fair deal" is milked dry and the debts from decades of dysfunction is placed on those children.

Some achievement from a period of our greatest wealth

The pathway to home ownership for young people will be cleared by the high interest rates on the way and the inevitable and likely very substantial fall in prices. The only thing that will fix things for the generation to come is a severe recession, and that’ll be brought on by the fight against inflation. It’s looking more and more inevitable IMO. It’ll be absolutely sh1t for a good while, and lots of middle aged blood in the water, but it’ll be a better landscape out the other side

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

The thing is, the gravy train of high paid MNC jobs is over. Slightly over 300 rentals of all types in Dublin city means, quite simply, no new jobs will be created in Dublin, at least to anywhere near the same extent we had pre-covid. If you disagree and think, eg Tik Tokand Workday will bring 1,000+ new jobs to the city, then I would like to know how you have managed to solve the housing crisis.

Cheap tech working Indians or SA students cramming 6 into a two bed apartment or Ukranian refugees with extremely low paid labour won't sustain our rental market since the high paid jobs are now lost. It is just a matter of the data catching up with this reality which shows that the economy has turned.

What jobs are like lost and why do they have to live/work in Dublin? As long as they are working in Ireland there should be no issue… what it will result in is higher rents outside Dublin.

• Advertisement

A recession will only make a difference to the housing market if it results in people leaving the country and freeing up property

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

I am a member of an ex-pats FB group for a EU country. In the last day or so two different people have come on saying they have got jobs starting in the short term and where should they look for accommodation...what is striking is that no one has chimed in...usually someone would say take a look at daft...I think most now know it is a pretty forlorn task to find somewhere. Hopefully their employer might take pity on them and let them work from where they are from..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

Do you envisage rents holding up assuming a reduction in tax receipts and increase in debt interest repayments.

The number of people employed in private domestic industry and services far exceeds the number in mnc and public sector combined. This demographic is most at risk in a recession.

I'd be very surprised if mnc in the IT sector were not affected by a downturn and stagflation environment. For instance, would apples margins and subscription services hold up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

That is correct heard of quarrys around galway on 3 day weeks. The sales reps for the company I work for are saying all the same things - building companies finnishing the existing phase which will bring us up to September October then they said they won't be doing anymore till prices come down.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I noticed this a few weeks back and mentioned same. I know of a couple of large developments in north Dublin where the next phases which were expected to launch in early Q4 no longer have any start date. These are developments where previous phases have sold out within an hour on launch day only a couple of months ago.

The demand is there, but the uncertainty over costs is putting developers off. CIF are pushing hard for inflation clauses to be factored into contracts for new builds, pretty clear that the rise in material costs is having a huge impact on the industry. I wouldn't be surprised if supply falls back in 12 - 18 months time. It's a real mess.

• Advertisement

Yes, taking away demand would help, but there is so much demand out there, so many 20s and 30s saving and living at home, plus MNCs bringing people in that there’s need to be a absolutely huge exodus. And supply is not going to solve it either…..if we were able to miraculously increase supply tomorrow. Magic up a years, 2 years, build in a day it would make no difference. Demand is so elastic that it would be gobbled up, in both the rental and buying markets without even denting prices.

Literally the only thing that will cause prices to drop is an inability for people to afford to pay. Substantial interes rate increases (likely IMO) and a recession will do that. And then see what it looks like when the dust has settled

Debt interest payments won’t be an issue for at least 2 years the NTMA took advantage of the low rate environment and restructure most of debt resulting in one of longest maturity profile in the EU.

Yes rents will hold up we are in an inflationary environment if anything there will be pressure on them to increase in line with higher tax receipts on a nominal basis. In real terms I.e. inflation adjusted both rent and tax will fall but not in nominal terms which means rents will be sustained.

The only thing that would make a difference is if there was a recession which resulted in a lower population due to less immigration combine with emigration. People renting will still need to live somewhere and due to supply they will have no option but to pay or get assistance from the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Like you I would be more fearful for the MNC in the tech sector, I think the tech bubble could already have been popped as Nasdaq in a bear market. Once apple and amazon and a few other big heavy weight in the index take miss earning due to consumer sentiment being hammered I think this Nasdaq could go very south.

This may cause layoffs in the big tech centre that is dublin city centre. This is just my thinking I could be wrong and quite frankly this whole housing in Ireland is a mess and knowone knows how it will pan out.

I think the 3rd world debt crisis that is unfolding at the minute is a disaster waiting to happen. Sri Lanka just the start, David Mcwilliams had a great podcast with a guy who does debt restructuring for 3rd World countries, very interesting listen he basically reckons most of Africa will default with 2 years due to strength of the dollar as the reserve currency and he also reckons Russia and China are bank rolling them big time now instead of the west, that's why none of them spoke out against the invasion. Wonder what debt forgiveness the Chinese and Russia will do for them countries push the Eastern model much like what nearly happened to Nicaragua in the 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭jj880

Demand is one thing but ability to service rent / mortgage has to come into play eventually. Crazy construction wages fed into it last time. There were plasterers landing back to Donegal every weekend putting cheques for a couple grand behind the bar. That disappeared overnight. Inflation and measures to cool inflation will have the same effect now but at a slower pace. Example: tourists now being charged 3k to rent a basic car for 10 days. A 2k increase on 3 years ago. Its insane. They are turning away from Ireland. Inflation will eat into everything eventually and push down spending power for the government and the public. We're a basket case in the making and running out of road. Theres only so much debt the government can play with to keep things going. It will run out soon and property will come down. It cant go on forever.

Ask yourself why the dollar is so strong at the moment….it’s down to interest rates and one of the main reasons that the fed took so long to raise was not that they were slow of the blocks or because it was transitory it was because they along with G10 knew that once they rose rates it would slow economic growth globally because countries that were not in as healthy state would have to raise rates on the back of the fed raising rates to keep their currencies trading at a level to be able to finance any USD debt issued even if it meant a deep recession. Luckily Ireland is not in that position due to the EUR and exposure to emerging markets is very limited due to investment mandates and lessons learned from similar crises that even at that had limited impact on Ireland anyway.

The MNC tech sector in Ireland has little to do with share price that has been pumped up to crazy levels because there was no where else to invest and a new generation of investors that rely on Twitter and have little understanding of the underlying financials. As they entered the market it became clear that they could be sucked in for one of the biggest pump and dump schemes in history. This is the main reason why Bitcoin correlates to tech stocks. I would be much more concerned about the inability to fill position in Ireland driving wages higher and in turn house prices. At some stage these MNC’s will start looking at basis outside Dublin but still in Ireland for tax reasons which will result in house prices in other cities increasing rapidly as the Dublin wage will still be paid resulting in more housing misery for the normal man on the street.

The ability to service a mortgage will become a big issue if rate keep rising over a long period because people with a fixed rate mortgage would see a massive increase in one go when the fixed period ends. This could result in a fire sale if there was alternative housing options such as renting (currently this is not an option due to supply) but we all know you would be mad to sell if you got into financial difficulty unless there was a change to repossession in Ireland because regardless of what happens you would have a roof over your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

There's 18 rentals in my county of Wicklow right now. There's 800 in the entire country. These jobs and any new jobs announcements won't see the light of day. The population will no longer grow from well paid employees which means our housing costs are now at a level where there is no demand and it is a matter of time before the market reverses.

Future profits have already been booked in Ireland because of the change in the tax regime coming into effect which will be a big driver in spreading employees across the eu in the coming years. We'll have to dust off our hospitality skills and wheel out the politicians across international tourism roadshows as promoting Irish indigenous business and tourism is what we'll need to do to start to claw ourselves out of the hole we look like we've found ourselves in again.

Wicklow is more or less Included in the Dublin housing market as are surrounding counties.

What do you think will happen to the non Dublin housing market as the Dublin wage enters the local housing market. Less properties available to buy as more properties enter the rental market because the can charge higher rents.

There are now 8 properties to rent in Waterford city. 5 in Limerick. I am not sure where you think people will go to outside of Dublin.

New developments will be bought by investors at the expense of FTB’s and rented out at higher rents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭jj880

Fair point. Ive seen plenty of repos in my own estate. No more than a couple years to get sorted and auctioned. Im not an expert in repossession legislation. Maybe in these cases mortgages fell into arrears and weren't paid at all for years before owners / tennants moved out.

I'll add mortgage approval (deposit etc.) to mortgage / rent servicing in my previous post.

Mortgage approvals will make little difference as investors will hover up properties especially if the property wasn’t rented previously because they will be able charge higher rents which people or the government will need to pay or be homeless.

With regards repossession the law more or less makes this impossible if it means that the owners have no where to live.

I think the point I am making is that there is effectively little or no accommodation in the main cities to be able to take an overflow from Dublin (at this point anyway). With those levels the LA's will have no option but to go in and rent them all in order to provide HAP etc. We are probably years away from being able to provide a decent level of supply outside of Dublin.

Also many people who want to come and live here want to be in Dublin. Telling them they have to decamp to some city they will never have heard of won't wash for many. I know from speaking to recruiters that many of the MNC's here even refused to locate to the likes of Sandyford/CityWest because the problems of attracting/retaining staff in those locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Get Real

Agree with you on interest rates having an effect, but less certain on a recession contributing.

Our last one was for many in their late 20s/early 30s the only one of their adult life (including mine) where we saw deflation generally, (less serious examples such as pint specials for 2.50, 9c a kilo carrots and a 1.49 chicken roll)

As we know, this same downturn brought about a dramatic fall in house prices, in some cases being able to buy for 80k inside the M50.

We know the background/causes of that in terms of unsustainable loans given in the years prior, as well as a drought in that same lending, and emigration.

I'm not sure to what extent a recession will impact house prices this time around. Mortgages the past decade have been less reckless. And even if a recession occurs, it still comes down to supply and demand.

Demand was driven by speculation last time, a second or third mortgage etc. Now demand and price rises are driven simply by population and the lack of supply.

We could have a recession where house prices remain fairly constant or increase. All it would do is further impact the income/House price ratio.

In the same recession period as us, remember the trouble Greece was also in, they had inflation then too. And a more extreme example is Venezuela in 2014 with a recession of - 4% and inflation of 69%. Inflation there now is gone ridiculous and no official GDP growth stats available after 2014. Recession doesn't automatically mean deflation.

Edit: I could be completely wrong in my theory, I'm just an idiot who follows these things out of interest 😁

Post edited by Get Real on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

More supply coming on myhome, now 12349. Not matching your gobbling theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭combat14

at some point the state will have to pay for those elderly renters who can't pay (i.e. no house/assets for fair deal) in the form of higher taxes .. the income tax burden on workers being so high at that stage there will be no choice but to heavily tax property and wealth

we have already seen this with intel choosing germany as we have no more houses for workers here

or hundreds of thousands losing jobs and unable to pay mortgages or afford over priced houses thus massively reducing demand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

its hard to be entirely sympathetic to the younger generation , they enthusiastically support loose immigration policies which increases competition for housing etc

Il probably get a warning for the above , An open economic model has been one of the key pillars of our increased wealth but this is how we " are victims of our own success "

cant have it every way , no way can building keep pace with inflow of immigration regardless of what the progressive left claim

Advertisement