Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Athletics 2022

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,193 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

YouTube is live streaming it. No annoying studio chats or interviews.

Grant Holloway is ridiculous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Phil Healy ran a storming anchor leg. Almost caught the Jamaican on the line. All four women ran very well. Really great to see the Irish girls mixing it with world and Olympic medalists like Jamaica and Poland.

The men were very unlucky too. Brian Gregan ran a good third leg and Chris O’Donnell ran a terrific anchor. Gutted they just missed out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Delighted for Ajee Wilson to finally get a world title, especially after being shut off the pole position for years by intersex athletes. I had kinda wondered if she was past her best already, but this weeks suggests a different story. Looking forward to seeing her battling it out with Mu and Hodgkinson in the coming months. Lovey finish by Hailu to get the silver also.

Bit surprised that Jakob was beaten in the 1500 but nothing wrong with a silver medal. He looked a bit flummoxed when he had no one to chase, and when he hadn't dropped Tefera with 400m to go I knew it was all over.

Entertaining race as always in the men's 3000m, it's one of my favourite distances to watch. Third consecutive silver medal for Girma at a major championship, I'm sure he'll be winning gold some day.

Overall a pretty good weekend of athletics, Sarah Lavin making the final was definitely the highlight from an Irish perspective. Looking forward to the outdoor season now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Bit surprised that Jakob was beaten in the 1500 but nothing wrong with a silver medal. He looked a bit flummoxed when he had no one to chase, and when he hadn't dropped Tefera with 400m to go I knew it was all over.

He reported a positive antigen test after the race. Might help explain why he said he felt shite during the race

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Some decent 10k times from the states, Laajdei breaks greelys u20 record at last.

Barry Keane 28'15 '60 (misses euro Q by .60!)

Brian Fay 28'22'31

ferghal Curtin 28'25'43

David Mcgylnn 29'04'92

https://results.flashresults.com/2022_03-24_RaleighRelays/028-1-01.htm

Very quite around these parts lately.

I believe the DTC gang of Tobin, Robinson, Tonosa and Coscoran are attempting to break the world mile record set in 1985 by Coughlan, Flynn, O Meara and O Sullivan at the Penn Relays this evening.

Michael Power is down to run Payton Jordan 1500m at the weekend as well. Should be a big pb for him there.

In other news I see AI have made a few selections for the walk and Marathon for the European championships. The have extended the deadline as well, selected so far are

Brendan Boyce Finn Valley 35km Walk

Fionnuala McCormack Kilcoole AC Marathon

Aoife Cooke Eagle AC Marathon

Ann Marie McGlynn Letterkenny AC Marathon

Kevin Seaward St Malachy's AC Marathon

Hugh Armstrong Ballina AC Marathon.

I hear Paul Pollock is running Belfast with the aim of getting the QT as well.

Nice pb for Michael Power 3.40.9

Cormac Dalton ran 13.43

The mile record will stand for another while. Great run from Sean 3.55, the others failed to break 4 minutes. Tonosa 4.00 and disappointing runs from the milers Coscoran 4.07 and Robinson 4.06..

Next up for Sean is 10000m in California on May 6th

Edit, Apologies It was actually Coscoran that ran 3.55. Sean ran 4.00

Post edited by Ceepo on

• Advertisement

Pollock 2.16.13 in Belfast.

This puts him behind David Mansfield (2.16.09) time wise for selection on the ranking times.

No going to lie, I'd love to see David getting a slot. AI informed him he need to run the QT before the original deadline which would have gave him approx 6 weeks after Saville to get it. He deicide to hold tough.

I'd hate to think that the deadline was extended to facilitate certain athletes but the skeptic in me says other wise.

Good day for Eilish McColgan, bad for Mo Farah.

Although it's not exactly surprising, the man is 39, but seems some factions of the British media seem to be clinging it hope he can have one last golden farewell?

Diamond League kicks off in two minutes time! Tune in to BBC 2 from 5pm or watch the YouTube stream here. Startlists/schedules are here.

Think I'm looking forward to the women's 3000m the most, should be a great duel between Niyonsaba and Kipyegon. I wonder if a sub 8:20 could be on the cards?

Just sat down to watch and it's a very windy night in Doha, so looks like we won't be getting a lot of fast times.

Great day for Louise Shanahan, runs a sub 2 to take down Ciara Mageean's 800m Irish record!

Post edited by yerwanthere123 on

Dean Casey broke the national junior 10000m record again! It lasted for 50 years and now it's been broken twice in the space of a few weeks, by two different athletes.

Rhasidat Adeleke goes to equal 4th all-time at 400m tonight, running 51.70 at the Big 12 Championships in Lubbock, Texas.

Wow. What a race and two Irish women sub-2. Amazing.

• Advertisement

Sophie Becker also ran 52.24 in Belfast yesterday and is surely trending towards 51:xx. Phil Healy ran 51:50 last season and will go faster this year given her indoor form. Combine that with Sharlene Mawdsley who ran 51:70 last season and you have a pretty solid 4x400m team.

Roisin Harrison ran 53.12 indoors and can surely run 52:xx outdoors. Cliodhna Manning also has 52:xx potential. That’s a pretty incredible crop of 400m runners in such a small country.

...and she improves by exactly one second in the Final! Yes, that's 50.70, an Irish record!

She can stay in the states for the summer now and head for Oregan

Some delayed comments on the Doha action.

Not exactly thrilled to see Niyonsaba beat Kipyegon. Granted, it was Kipyegon's first race of the season and she was boxed in for a lot of the race. I think had she been able to start her kick around her usual 250m to go she'd have won. Whilst the question of whether Niyonsaba will be allowed to continue long term still looms large, I doubt she'll be banned between now and Eugene, so hopefully Kipyegon can figure out a way to beat her. I know it's a contentious issue, but I don't want Niyonsaba winning any more medals on the World/Olympic stage.

Also curious to see Girmawit Gebrzihair in the women's 3,000. Anyone remember when she raced as a '16 year old' back in 2018😅

Very interesting to see Alison Dos Santos get the win over Rai in the 400m hurdles. He's flown relatively under the radar given the other-worldly brilliance of Warholm and Rai, I wonder is he ready to pose even more of a threat this year?

Bit concerning to see Stewart McSweyn doing so poorly right now, he's really struggled since getting covid at the beginning of the year. He's one of my favourites and always makes a race interesting, so I do hope we see him back at his best soon. Great win for El Bakkali in the steeple too, although I could've sworn Girma got it. On to Birmingham on Saturday!

Shelby Houlihan loses her farcical appeal to the Swiss tribunal, four year ban stands. One less doper in the sport is always good news.

• Advertisement

Birmingham DL getting underway now on BBC! Entry lists here. I'll be keeping an eye on Louise Shanahan in the women's 800m at roughly 3.50pm, would be nice to see if she can get close to sub 2 again!

Only seen a small bit of the action.

Tough race for her. Ran reasonably well. Keely H was fantastic.

I still get a twich watching Katir. Just doesn't sit with me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

One of the athletes I love in the 1,500 is Stewart mcSweyn. He hasn't looked himself this year but I think I heard mention that he's suffering from long COVID in the commentary of one of his races this year.

I went looking and it seems it's actually a side effect of the vaccine booster and not COVID itself. That has to be tough trying to deal with at an elite level as it's not like a regular injury with a predictable enough prognosis. Although I think in the recent Diamond League race he suffered an injury which resulted in him coming last. Hopefully he's back to himself soon.

Yes, it is concerning to see McSweyn in this kind of trouble. Hopefully he'll be able to recover from whatever's affecting him right now, but shaving the 10/15 seconds off his current times to get competitive at Worlds seems a tall order at the moment.

Birmingham was a pretty poor meet but Keely Hodgkinson was undoubtedly the highlight. Looked as cool as a breeze easing her way to a 1:58.63 win. Looking forward to seeing what she'll bring this year.

On to this weekend, some good action coming up in Eugene, all startlists here. There's three world record attempts taking place, Francine Niyonsaba in the women's two mile while both Letesenbet Gidey and Joshua Cheptegei will be attacking their own 5,000m world records. The two mile record is the one I'd be most confident of going down, Meseret Defar's mark of 8:58.58 is what Niyonsaba will be aiming for. Sifan Hassan was originally supposed to be in the race too but pulled out unfortunately. The Friday night session will be in the middle of the night our time so not sure where it's being shown, but I'll throw up a link later if I come across one.

Meanwhile, Saturday's action will be shown live on BBC 3 from 9pm. For anyone who doesn't know BBC3 recently returned to Sky Ireland on channel 169. Unfortunately the weather isn't supposed to be great so we may not see many fast times, but some loaded fields in the men's 5,000m, women's 1500m and steeplechase should make for a great meet.

• Advertisement

For anyone who'd like to watch the world record attempts from Eugene tonight, LuckySpikes over at the Athletics Weekly forum has you covered. He'll be uploading footage of the race videos on dropbox, scroll down to Prefontaine Classic Distance Night incl USA 10,000m Championships(Eugene, OR, USA) where they'll be uploaded some time tomorrow. I'll be avoiding the results tomorrow morning in the hope of being able to watch when I get up, so hopefully won't have to wait too long. His thread on the Athletics Weekly forum is a great resource to have for any kind of athletics streaming, so maybe one to bookmark!

Sophie Becker ran a new PB of 51.83 over 400m in Belgium yesterday. She’s clearly an improving athlete and it looks like there’s more to come. Sharlene Mawdsley ran 52:27 at the same meet. Her PB is 51:70, which she can hopefully better this year.

I don’t think Phil Healy has opened her season yet. Given her consistent 51.7 form indoors, I’m hopeful of low 51s or possibly high 50s. All up, I’m really excited about their potential in the relay.

Andrew Coscoran and Luke McCann have both run 3:36 over 1500m at this early stage of the season. There’s ample time for both to run significantly faster.

Great run from Darragh McElhinney in Belgium last night breaking John Tracey Long standing u23 record running 13.17 5000m.

Efrem Gidey ran 28.01 in the European Cup 10000m over the weekend.

Very promising stuff from these guys

Some good stuff last night. Faith Kipyegon looking as amazing as ever, ran her second fastest 1500m of all time in 3:52.59. Really hoping she'll take a crack at the WR this year, she's definitely capable is everything goes right on the night. Muir had a terrible day, finishing 11th in 4:04, hoping it was a just a once off.

Keely Hodgkinson looked as great here as she did in Birmingham to reel off another Diamond League win. Looking forward to seeing her next matchup against Mu, which will likely be at Eugene again for Worlds in 7 weeks time.

I think Emma Coburn's best is unfortunately behind her, was a total non-factor in the steeplechase in 9:18. Olympic silver-medallist Courtney frerich wasn't a whole lot better, finished even further behind in 9:20.

On the men's side of things, Jakob got another great win in the mile, 3:49.76 to fend off a strong field. Also said after the race that he'd be running both the 1500 and 5k at worlds. Meanwhile, this caught my eye on Twitter.

Now I know he wasn't being serious here, but Cathal said in a later tweet in that thread that he's heard "something unique" is in the works for Euros. Wonder what he's got planned.

Elsewhere, Aregawi ran away from the field and solo ran his way to a 12:50 5K PB. Very exciting prospect, particularly given he's just 20. Dos Santos got another great win in the 400m hurdles, looking like the big two could become a big three this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35 phelimcas

With 19 athletes qualified for Munich already how many do people think there will there be on the Irish team including relays. Could it approach 40? If so does it reflect a widening of the potential base of World class athletes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Wottle

4:02:86 for Sarah Healy, big PB

Correction thanks to Elizabeth Egan, 22 athletes now qualified for Munich. Really good time fom Sarah Healy today as well. Getting closer to a sub 4 1500m.

Good run indeed. I reckon sub-4 will come in the near future.

What worries me is that she is very inconsistent. She bombed in Birmingham a couple of weeks ago and then churns out a big performance. The same pattern repeated itself last season and during indoors. I really hope she can find the consistency that will see her doing well in global events.

Post edited by Hamachi on

Rabat Diamond league starting now, YouTube stream here https://youtu.be/uxJ3fVJjGzc

Also being shown on BBC three, sky channel 169

• Advertisement

Consistency from Sophie Becker close to her PB. Will get a lot of World ranking points for the performance.

FBK Games in Hengelo will be one to watch tomorrow as the women's 10,000 is doubling as the Ethiopian world championships trials. An absolutely loaded field with Gidey, Ayana, Tsegay, Yehualaw and Taye all thrown in for good measure. A WR record may even be a possibility, and it'll all be streamed on YouTube from 2.45pm.

Concerning to see Warholm pull up injured after just one hurdle in Rabat, possibly hamstring related. Hopefully nothing serious, but not ideal in his first race of the season with Worlds only a few weeks away.

Cracking race in the men's steeple, great to see El Bakkali dip under 8 minutes, much to the delight of the Moroccan crowd.

Sarah Lavin breaks 13 seconds again with a 12:94 in Samorin today close to her PB with a good competitive run from Ciara Mageean in the Rom DL meeting tonight showing a good turn of speed in the home straight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭deisedude

I'm sure most are aware on here but just in case some people didnt know the Diamond League meets are generally on BBC2 or BBC3

Adeleke gets 2 NCAA medals, gold in the 100 relay and silver in the 400 relay. Incredible standards in the sprints especially from Abby Steiner in the individual 200.

Races available on YouTube.

Abby Steiner has the oddest arm action I have ever seen in a sprinter. Having said that, she’s mega talented and clearly one to watch for the future.

Phil Healy improved her season’s best to 51.82 in Geneva yesterday. I’m hopeful she can run significantly faster this season. Adeleke has run 50.70, Healy 51.82, Becker 51.83, and Sharlene Mawdsley 52.27. A little more improvement could see us quite competitive in Munich.

Off topic, but the German 400m runner Alicia Schmidt has recently come to my attention. She has a PB of 52.21 and an SB of 52.32. Very pretty girl, but I honestly can’t figure out if she’s an instagram influencer or a serious athlete. Also in German athletics, Corinna Schwab ran 22.50 for 200m at the weekend, the fastest time by a German woman since 1999. Gina Lueckenkemper also ran 11.04 for 100m, her fastest time since 2018. She’s very talented, but has been hampered by multiple injuries.

Late to comment on the Rome action, but Athing Mu looked phenomenal. Cool as a breeze on her way to an easy 1:57.01 win, honestly looks like she has a chance to take down the seemingly unbeatable WR.

Lamecha Girma went sub 8 in the steeplechase for the third time this year, all achieved in a ten day span! If he can shave another second or two off his time then I think he can challenge El Bakkali at Worlds.

Laura Muir still struggling to find her best form and so far yet to run sub 4 in the 1500m, although I think she picked up some injury recently? She's got about 5 weeks to get back in shape. Meshesha is looking like she could be a force in the 1500. Encouraging run from Mageean, best we've seen from her in a while.

Great duel in the men's 5k, Kimeli outkicks Krop to run 12:46.33 and move to #7 on the all time list.

On we go to Rome this Thursday!

Rome was like so last week! 🤣

It's Oslo on Thursday.

• Advertisement

Oops 🙈🙈🙈

Advertisement