Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

If it was just a blind assertion then that could very well be true, but it wasn`t. It was made based on your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

You didn't show why I was wrong you just declared that I was

The lack of understanding of the world realities of the here and now rather than nothing to offer other than fingers crossed on a secure dependable reliable energy source.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

LNG is unviable while the gas price remains high, i have explained this already multiple times.

forget about it, it's not happening.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

That's just waffle. Do you genuinely think Irelands gas supply will be cut off?. If so, when and for how how long, and what would be the consequences of that?

Have you ever done an actual risk analysis on anything in your personal life or professional career

Not that it is any concern of your, but in my professional career I have carried out risk assessment analyses on a daily basis where getting them wrong have the very real risks of serious injury or even death, and my signature leaving me the one hung out to dry.

Do you somehow believe that our own energy regulator said she believes we do not have a secure energy source just for the fun of it, or that the E.U. have a directive on energy security (that we are presently not in compliance with) for no reason ?

How can you not get that having a secure energy source is about ensuring that there are no shut downs to cause consequences.

As a lot of countries have learned, (and other than our Green Party morons), have accepted is that with a shortage of natural gas due to the war in Ukraine there is no viable alternative other than LNG regardless of the price.

Even that former holy grail of Irish greens, Germany, have and are building LNG terminals, leasing floating LNG terminals and have placed 1.5 Billion Euro with their own energy supply brokers Trading Hub Europe to purchase LNG. The E.U. is in negotiations with the U.S. to bulk purchase LNG on the same basis for E.U states as the Covid vaccines which shows just how important they view LNG.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Winter is coming

It's going to be a cold cold winter

• Advertisement

Irelands gas supply comes from the UK and Norway

The energy regulator mentioned the risk of a maritime incident severing the gas pipeline. As a professional risk assesor, this is what's known as a low probability high impact event. Its an event that is highly unlikely to happen in the short term, so we can get address this risk with medium to long term engineering solutions. Ireland's mitigation strategy is to build multiple interconnectors and increase renewable generation capacity and phase out the reliance on Gas.

If we can build interconnectors for the same or lower cost than a LNG terminal and those interconnectors can be constructed more quickly, then we should do that instead

Our interconnector to France will cost us about 250 million euros after EU funding. A 700mw lng terminal would cost at least 4 times that amount to build, and have significantly higher operating costs and lower end to end efficiency

Interconnectors also allow Ireland to sell energy when we have surplus supply. A LNG terminal would be one way only and increase our energy insecurity

It's May. And our Winters have been exceedingly mild in the past few years

lng comes from the same sources as natural gas, so if there is a shortage of natural gas and prices are high then i am afraid that is going to effect lng supplies.

by the way the US are only going to be able to supply some lng, not enough for the amount required, and therefore it is not a viable alternative regardless of price especially as there are much cheaper alternatives available that are a tiny fraction of the cost meaning the expensivity of lng doesn't make sense for ireland and would just be burning money.

not going to happen, it's over, renewables are what we are getting and no amount of whinging about the grenen party and calling them names will change the reality that this would have been happening eventually regardless of whether the greens are in government or not.

Annnnd again, that's yet to be agreed and is already under threat of legal action by a number of countries. Right now it's a proposal, nothing more. Might be agreed, might not.

It's weird how you continue to ignore this fact

Ireland gets it`s gas from Norway, a EEA member via the U.K. which is now neither a E.U. or a EEA member. That is the reason that we are not in E.U. compliance on energy security. It has nothing to do with a ship rupturing a pipeline. If it had would it not mean we would also be in none compliance if a ship did similar to an interconnector from another E.U. or EEA member state ?

You are off again wishfully gazing into the future on renewable energy sources that have proven how unreliable they are to fill our needs, and interconnectors from Europe where Europe is ending it`s dependency of Russian gas that provides 40% of its energy requirements. Has it not occurred to you that there is a very high likelihood of little or nothing flowing through those interconnectors for years to come ? As a professional risk assessor it`s the very least you should be able to recognise.

Meanwhile in the real and present world other than one inhabited by unicorns, the E.U. are in negotiations to purchase LNG, as are Germany, and other E.U countries are building new LNG terminals, increasing the capacity of those they already have, and buying or leasing floating LNG terminals, while our Green Party and their supporters are attempting to ban LNG. Utter lunacy with not a single even vaguely credible alternative other than crossed fingers and hope. Not something I have seen advocated in any professional risk assessment manual.

I find it strange that your problem now with LNG is based on the vague cost efficiency of a terminal, yet you have no problem with the known efficiency of wind turbines where to provide 100% of our energy needs for long periods last winter and this Spring had we X16 times there number they would not have achieved that.

Weirder than you or any other Green Party supporter or the Irish Green Party supporter can not come up with a viable alternative ?

Weird that you think I'm a GP supporter.

Being engaged with environmental issues does not require membership of a particular political party

A lot the usual green vagueness and ill-informed assumptions in your post that could easily have been avoided had you engaged in even very basic research.

The U.S. is not short of natural gas. They have known reserves of 98 years according to their own EAI.

Last year Europe imported 14 billion cubic meter of natural gas from Russia. March 25th. U.S. President Joe Biden and E.U. Commission President Ursula van der Leyen announced an agreement whereby the U.S. will deliver 15 billion cubic meters of LNG by the end of 2022 and 50 billion cubic meters of LNG until at least 2030. Others in Europe, such as Germany, are individually pursuing their own LNG purchases

The real world reality is that the E.U has identified and moved to provide their member states with a viable secure energy source that they recognise as a transitional energy source. Meanwhile our muppets in the Irish Green Party and their supporters are cheering on a proposal to ban LNG, ignoring we could possibly have our own source of natural gas from Barryroe and do not have a single viable idea between them other than keeping their fingers crossed on a supply that is recognised by our own regulator as unsecure and which is not even in E.U compliance on energy security.

98 years of reserves if they just supply themselves, which given they are going to supply others as well means those reserves reduce hugely.

lng is not viable and secure due to the costs of it and the fact that conditions can change in america as we have saw with trump, another trump would absolutely use gas as a weapon, not to mention the other sources are a mix of despots and others that we would really want to keep on side but would prefer not to deal with ideally.

no the non-muppets in the green party realise the real world reality and are persueing a strategy that actually will deliver a viable and 100% secure energy supply.

barryroe is unviable, all attempts to extract have failed because there is very little there.

those are the facts, no amount of insulting the green party will change the facts as it has nothing to do with them as our strategy was always going to be persued.

quite correct, and as we know, the EU are only doing this to allow countries that have existing nuclear facilities to keep those facilities online until they are completely life expired.

for ireland nuclear as we know has no case what soever and is just not happening, ever.

• Advertisement

Charlie, as a risk assesor, you surely must recognise the Uk not being in the EU is a negligent increase in the risk of them shutting off gas to Ireland.

We're in breach of the EU regulations as a technicality and the energy regulator herself said that the EU don't care and aren't pursuing us to resolve this immediately

We can regain compliance by following irelands renewable energy strategy using the Moffatt pipeline during the transition

Stop with the nonsense. The U.S. in 2020 domestically consumed 823 Billion cubic meters of natural gas. 15 Billion to the E.U in 2022 and at least 50 Billion by 2030 is a drop in the ocean where U.S. reserves are concerned.

Strangely you appear to have some information on LNG cost, viability and security that the E.U. or other countries in Europe do not have as well as how little natural gas there is in the Barryroe field. Do you have anything to back up any of that or is it just ramblings similar to those on the U.S. known reserves of natural gas ?

The fact is that in the present very real world the muppets in the the Irish Green party, as well as their supporters, are ignoring while attempting to ban LNG and ignore the possibilities of Barryroe, is that we do not have a secure source of energy, as identified by our own energy regulator and where we are in none compliance with the E.U directive, and neither the Irish Green party or any of their supporters have come up with anywhere close to a viable alternative.

Where are you getting all this information from, or is it just more wishful green thinking ?

Far as I can see not only is the E.U. recognising Nuclear as a transitional energy source, it has made no conditions on the timeline for nuclear plant closures.

it has made no conditions on the timeline for nuclear plant closures.

Why are you expecting it to?

No, but it appears the poster I was replying to does. But then what he appears to believe and the reality on a number of issues are far removed, so it`s not that easy to tell for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

You. love. to. see. it.

Get stuffed greens!

Sorey, I'm not seeing the connection. His post was a reply to mine and your comment bears no relation to what he posted. Maybe you quoted the wrong post? I don't know

no, you believe that is what i believe, but my post was perfectly clear via the use of the statement "kept online until they are fully life expired" life expired means that the plant is at the end of it's life span.

so it's very clear that i never stated or believed that the EU have conditions on when plants must be closed, and it was obvious as hell that is the case.

no my posts are the reality and the facts on the ground that apply to ireland and it's energy security, of which lng is not secure energy, where as renewables which are what we are getting, are.

Do you mean you believe he is correct on his declarations on the level of the U.S known reserves of natural gas ?

• Advertisement

Good to see you have cleared that up on nuclear energy being one of just two recognised transmission energy sources recognised by the E.U. which they have no problems with.The other being natural gas which includes LNG. Perhaps you would also care to address your assumptions on the U.S. known reserves and their ability to supply the E.U with 15 billion cubic meters this year and at least 50 billion cubic meters by 2030 ?

The reality of the facts on the ground are that our own energy regulator does not believe that our present supply is secure, and we are not in compliance with our commitment under an E.U. directive on energy security either Do you believe we should ignore E.U. directives or do you believe they are just there to pick those that suit ?

The E.U. or indeed all those countries who have LNG plants, those that are building such plants or increasing capacity, and those purchasing or leasing floating LNG plants, have no problem with LNG as a secure energy source. Are you saying they are wrong and our Green party morons and their supporters are correct ?

Before answering you might wish to check just what energy security means in relation to renewables by checking the drop in energy produced by renewables for 2021 compared to the previous year. It is very instructive as to why we need a secure source of gas recognised, not just by our own energy regulator, but also by the E.U. Unless that is you believe we should use coal, same as the major emitters of CO2, or oil. Neither of which are not really practical as we no longer have the power plants for either.

Advertisement