Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2022

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

genres are not important and genre thinking is not the way to think

good songs win and the standard last night was very high

to begin the return to glory we need to cough up and pay our way to the finals like the uk

we need some diversity

we need to be two years ahead in the song selection and get them out to the clubs of Europe

we should be looking at bands that are about to break on their own such as Maneskin

we need to take control from rte , they don’t know anything about winning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Favourite songs I think were Armenia and Belgium from the finalists. Armenia’s vocals probably the strongest of the 25

Austria not being in the final was criminal, Malta too

I’m no expert but I don’t believe you can win a World Cup via public vote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,744 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I suppose the players from countries around the world should just let them score and win.

• Advertisement

That and Marty Whealan give you a good idea of how serious rte take the competition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,015 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Personally I thought the Ukrainian song was muck, let's be Frank here, even if they didn't enter they've had won.

Brooke did an excellent job and I still can't believe she didn't at least make it to the final when up against the Tripe alongside her.

Fair play to the Brits in fairness.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,267 ✭✭✭✭rob316

UK and Sweden had the best songs, Ukraine's was absolutely forgettable. Serbia was my favourite and judging by their public vote plenty did too.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

I wonder what the story is with the voting irregularities? Bad reflection on the countries involved.

Leo would want to be careful or we could end up hosting!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I thought Panti Bliss didn't get the gig this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,168 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Everyone. It's showing Ukrainians they have solidarity from Europe, not just from politicians but from the people. Likewise it's showing that in Europe there's strong support and solidarity for Ukraine.

Every little helps, it's just a song context, but like any international event, it's important for Ukrainians to feel support and that they are on the right side (which they are) because they are enduring the brunt of this. It's also important for Europeans to keep as much solidarity as possible because we are in this for the long haul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,086 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Anybody checked in on Linda Martin today to see how’s she’s doing?

Quick, someone tell Zelensky to tell Varadkar to build enough homes for us.

I'll respond in a similar way to Zelensky in response to your "showing support by voting in eurovision" comment.

"WE DON'T WANT YOUR EUROVISION VOTES, WE WANT WEAPONS"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Be interested to see if ireland actually submitted a great song and performance how we would do in the public vote. The UK can at least considered themselves less hated the Germans in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,168 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Wow.

Zelensky doesn't want politicians visiting Kyiv for "selfies", he wants them to bring weapons/supplies, because the country is fighting for it's life. It's a no-brainer

That's completely and utterly different from Europeans supporting Ukraine in a song contest or similar. Likewise banning Russians from sports. It doesn't have some physical tangible "effect" on the war, but it shows crucial solidarity towards Ukraine, whilst showing the Russian public that their actions are not supported by a large portion of countries.

I can't believe this has to be explained, but here we are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,086 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

The six countries who had their jury votes removed are:

• Azerbaijan
    • Georgia
    • Montenegro
    • Poland
    • Romania
    • San Marino

All 6 were in Semi-Final 2 with Ireland.

Their jury vote was replaced with an estimated vote system that gave nothing to Ireland from any of the 6 juries. We received nothing from the tele vote from those countries either.

Something not right there surely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

People are going on like there were good songs denied some opportunity by Ukraine.. ALL of the songs were poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Am I the only one that doesn’t mind the Ukraine song, especially that whistle bit?

A few good songs I thought got screwed in their running order, Czech Rep and Netherlands and perhaps they’d have placed higher if put in a different slot. However Portugal had an early slot and the song did fairly well with both juries and public.

Ireland’s current suggestions for next year mean we’ll get 0 points & more NQ for finals. Real money would have to be spent to change that, with a credible artist / performer ( which we had this year & in the other finalists of Eurosong ) and professional selling from the start. No corner of the Late Late studio with two backing dancers nonsense with 65+ year olds looking bewildered in the audience. It needs a proper launch pad for the song. These songs go straight to YouTube and to a Europe wide audience. Spain had a big show / announcement in Benidorm, Sweden has their annual competition. Oh & of course the Late Late will have the annual performance or reminisce on how good we used to be & weren’t they the great old days. Time to move on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Good article here on the BBC about how the BBC producer met his Spanish counterpart for a drink after the final last year and they both made a pact to do better this year after performing so dismally, and then how they went about getting their act to represent them.

Good on the UK, I really hope they do run with this new thinking and get a lot of success for themselves and for the unknown artists who need a leg up.

The more serious they take it, the more credible it becomes, and the more this might filter into our decision making here as well.

Post edited by DebDynamite on

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Detritus70

Well, with public voting you will always have a barometer of the general mood of the voting population. The result should be of absolutely no surprise to anyone.

I don't mind whatsoever. I'm sure Ukraine would gladly give up their Eurovision win in exchange of not being invaded by Russia.

Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Detritus70

OK everyone, take a deep breath and repeat after me:

It's just a cheesy song contest, it's just a cheesy song contest, it's just a cheesy song contest....

No point getting your knickers in a bunch over it.

Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,009 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Eurovision Song Contest text poll showing solidarity with Ukraine.

Yes, it's absolutely awful what's happening in Ukraine. But that was a total mockery last night, and everyone knew it was going to happen. I feel a bit sorry for the other contestants, they stood no chance. All smiles from UK, Spain and Sweden at the halfway mark, but they must have known they were going to get railroaded by the upcoming public vote.

The public vote alone would have been enough for Ukraine to finish 4th overall and just 28 points shy of winning. So if Ukraine had got 28 points from the jury voting last night, they would been in 4th last place and still would won. Farcical. Some of the jury voting towards Ukraine was biased as well. The Ukrainian song was rubbish and if there was no war, they'd have finished in the bottom half.

Advertisement