Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭combat14

that may happen until the ff/fg government that allows that to continue are literally fkd out of power by voters at that stage!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

There are no rentals anywhere which means there can't be a lot of movement in the market outside of Dublin. Our pre-covid economic growth model is finished, unless you have managed to figure out how our economy will keep ticking over while there is no housing at all?

This is what will happen;

the transaction data will be first to show a fall (as stated before, the lack of supply will be blamed for the lower transaction numbers), then a MNC or few will make job announcements (hiring freeze or less new hires), which won't translate to data showing the housing market costs start to correct until some time after, but the correction in the housing market will happen. Interest rates, inflation and geopolitical struggles will be blamed and in 2/3 years SF will be blamed as well, but the market was never sustainable and this won't be touted as a reason for the correction.

Our economy is now on the downward slope and housing is a massive contributor to this; ie the lack of and cost of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

So if MNC announce hiring freezes or less new hires we are in no different a position than we are today unless it is accompanied by an increase in supply of new properties at the same time. Furthermore if MMC’s reduce hiring because they can’t house staff they will end up having to pay more to keep existing staff as companies will pay more and will try and poach staff.

For your scenario that you outlined above to happen you need building to continue and for the MNC’s to no longer need to operate in Ireland which would mean a change to the international tax laws which is unlikely seeing as they just changed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭JDigweed

I received a Daft alert for a house in Naas this morning with a 6k reduction in price. It's been a long time since one has come down in price. Hopefully there's more of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mr Hindley

Interesting to see more and more mainstream talk of a potential dip in house prices:

There are lots of reasons for prices to keep going up, as discussed here, but a narrative of 'don't buy now, there's a drop coming' can be self-fulfilling. I'm an example myself - three months ago was all gung ho to buy, but now that my mortgage approval has just come through I'm hesitating, and might at least wait a couple of months to see what happens, and am also likely to lower my maximum spend and err on the cautious side. Other people will be thinking the same. I'm viewing a property on Monday that ticks most of the boxes but it's priced v high compared to last year and I'm hesitating. I'm still planning on buying this year - I waited back in 2020 and am now kicking myself - but at least some of the crazy momentum might just come out of the market over the course of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭DataDude

Some big drops referenced here. No doubt the global cool-down is well under way.

https://beta.ctvnews.ca/local/toronto/2022/4/27/1_5879275.amp.html

Irelands official data is very backward looking and so lags reality by about 4 months. Asking price data showing a levelling-off though. Interesting to see how things play out from here.

https://bl.ocks.org/pinsterdev/raw/b52f2a466477d05576bc/?s=commuter

• Registered Users Posts: 20,034 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Have you had a look at sillan data dude ? They look nice to be fair , 1.35 for the detached ones I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

Yeah you can't delay forever... you could offset purchasing at what could be the peak, by fixing a low interest mortgage for as long as possible, and buying in a lower price bracket. If rates are going to rise significantly (likely) you'd hopefully be well shielded from the resulting drop in prices, assuming this is a house you'd happily live in long term, and isn't a step on the "ladder."

I'd imagine this is the worst possible time to ever buy a house though - so I'd be cautious, do everything you can to insulate yourself, low fixed rate, house not apartment, big enough to live in for 10 years plus.

Things usually cool off as the year goes on anyway, statistically the spring is the worst time for a buyer, best for a seller.

Yeah we looked very closely and were in constant contact but they were so slow to to give firm pricing that we were too far along with our own purchase to wait for them.

Last I was quoted was €1.5m and €1.6m for the west facing detached ones which seemed fanciful. Stopped calling once we signed on our place so not sure where they’re at now.

€1.35m was for the east ones which are a good bit smaller too. No interest in those.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mr Hindley

Thanks for the constructive advice - really well put and helpful! Unfortunately, although the general advice is 'you can ride out a drop as long as it's your forever home', that's not necessarily what I'm looking for - I moved back from the UK in 2020 specifically to help care for my elderly father. Being blunt, that's a situation that will last for the next few years, I expect, but maybe not beyond then (assuming he'll end up in a care home, unfortunately - he has Alzheimers.) After that, I might decide I want to stay in Ireland long-term - but will be less constrained geographically to the expensive south county Dublin area - or I might decide to go back to the UK where I lived all my adult life. Lots of uncertainty, and I really don't want to find myself trapped somewhere for a decade waiting to escape negative equity :( Like all of us, I'd give my hind teeth for a crystal ball..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Middleage Fanclub

I see Struan Hill in Delgany is also POA, some of those houses will have phenomenal views. Won't be cheap either. The last crash kaiboshed that development. I'd say they are keen to get deposits down.

Thought they looked relatively good value tbh. Certainly vs Sillan. Starting at €900k for semi D. €1.1m - €1.4m (max) for detached with houses all similar but prices increasing depending on the views.

We actually tried to buy one off the plans in February. Initially they were all for it but then ghosted us. Same EA as Sillan where prices were initially quoted as reasonable and then subsequently went up over €400k when launched. Said we wouldn’t be caught waiting again so went ahead with another property when they wouldn’t take a deposit and give us contracts. I heard the first one is due to launch in July so be interesting to see why they actually sell for!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,034 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I thought 1.35 would get one of the two good ones, if that’s not the case they look pricey but the location is good and the aesthetic is pleasing. They will probably sell I guess !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

This is anecdotal, but I recently went sale agreed on a house in Wexford. It’s an old, refurbished town-house in a very settled area, with all amenities within walking distance, a good BR rating and it’s easily big enough for a family. It was on the market for two months with no offers, and I got it for 25k under the asking price. The owners even took my first offer. Now, I know that outside of Dublin was always a different game, but I was rather surprised at this.  Maybe things are settling?

I had been planning to wait, but this house is perfectly adapted for my needs, and well within budget, so I figured that I’d take the risk and go for it; I’m already on the wrong side of my 30s. If I were younger, I’d probably wait, but in my opinion, there is too much demand and too little supply for a major crash in the near future.  

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

ICS mortgages after adding 1% onto their 3 and 5 year fixed rates this morning. 3.55% for 3 year at 90% LTV and 3.69% for five year fixed. Similar increases on other LTVs That effectively takes them out of the new lending market on fixed rates relative to others unless this is a sign of the rate increases to come. Or else it's kite flying to guage the market

• Administrators Posts: 53,754 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Sillan will sell no bother. Beautiful houses.

Wish I could buy one!

Personally I think they represent truly horrendous value for money. The 5 beds in Woodlands are far superior (larger, over two floors instead of 3, more private, nicer looking) and are a good €300k cheaper. I'd be surprised if Sillan sell at the money being asked (although we were told that 5 out of the 9 were sold in advance to friends of the developer). For €1.6m in Greystones I just couldn't accept 220 sqm, tight parking for two cars and a fairly small garden. Only my opinion, but they are the most overpriced houses we looked at, and that's saying something!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,500 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I would imagine that most of the rest will follow. If I was drawing down a mortgage in the. Ext few weeks I would be moving fast at present

Slava Ukrainii

In fairness, my opinion is based mostly on looking at them driving past and the pictures on the website! You obviously did way more homework!

Hard to disagree. The market swap rates have greatly increased (but have come off high levels of a few weeks ago) relative to the start of the year. A twenty year fixed rate with good early terms to facilitate over/early repayments could look a good bet with very limited downside

• Advertisement

You are never going to get a mortgage like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,500 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

As well for first time buyers it's very hard to get anything longer than ten years as a fixed rate. There is 7 year fixed available at 2.2-2.3%.

However the real catch is of you are this far along you are probably committed to 1-2 lenders who you are dealing with. It's a matter of getting what is most advantageous to.you over the line.

I would not be worrying about overpayment details. I be fixing for 5+years if possible. It's not about the perfect it about what available to you

Slava Ukrainii

7 years seems the happy medium. Once you get to 10 year fixed you will see the rates are higher.

I don't see banks offering 20 year fixes, it's far too risky. I wouldn't see there being big interest among buyers either, it's just too long a term.

https://www.financeireland.ie/products/residential-mortgages/long-term-fixed-rates/ - finance Ireland allow a 10% repayment of the outstanding balance each year. Rates for 20 and 30 years don't look extortionate either....each to their own and not a recommendation.

Avant money also state "10% of your balance each year". Neither to be sniffed at

Ha, I was totally wrong. You are correct.

Avant do offer long term fixed, never noticed that on their site before. It's not on their fixed rate page, it's a separate product called "One Mortgage".

I'm not in the habit of making things up to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I think they should do intergeneraI really dont see prices falling, though i wish they would.

Already there is going to be wage inflation, which will increase buying amounts limited by the CB rules.

Then builders seem to be slowing down or stopping building.

Then you have councils and REITs competing against ordinary buyers.

The only thing that going to cause house price reductions now are

• Massive emigration (and that massive emigration of high salaried people along with no immigration of people who will be on low salaries or depending on the state)
    • A massive recession with massive amounts of job losses. If that happens even those who are waiting for a crash will probably also be effected and wont be able to buy.
    • Huge amounts of building. We all know that isnt going to happen. The numbers needed are astronomical.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Bought a 2nd hand house late last year, didn't know what the market would do paid over asking obviously but a drop in house pricing can only help the people starting our in life. Still looking on daft, see what houses are coming up two properties I was interested in July 2021 all were told "sale agreed" still havn't been registered as sold. The amount of crap we viewed in person. Houses been sold as "Turn Key" absolute dirty inside, wooden window frames totally rotten, gas boilers which need to be condemned!. At least now better properties seem to be online but at an inflated price.

Have a family member staying with me for an internship in Dublin earning 18,000 a year. 21 grad student, he is gobsmacked at the price of housing and can't rap his head around what salary/job people have to afford housing in Dublin. As a graduate he should earn 32/35k starting still isn't great but will increase with his experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

You need to sit him down and explain to him that our government, and indeed other governments have made it so that he has to couple up (with another high earner) before he can even think about getting a mortgage. And then he will be expected to work til probably 80 to pay the mortgage. Or he could rent and have to work til 100 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭al87987

I'm still waiting...

Advertisement