Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary Lou MacDonald suing RTE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,849 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Hold on Francie, it is only yourself that is pivoting so quick that I think you are getting dizzy.

Have the allegations against Ms Carey been proven? Would you like to state on here that they have been proven? You are free to do so although the mods will likely have to delete it.

If the allegations have not been proven, then they are "unproven allegations" (your term) which means you think RTE should have been prevented from publishing them.

Am merely showing you the absurdity of your argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,682 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Keep on going dude. The hierarchy of the national and international legal system are slowly being persuaded of the error of their ways.

So once there are sources, then it is proven? Could you confirm then whether the allegations by MC against SF have been proven? I didn't think it had.

Can RTE report same (they have some sources - MC being one)

You are embarrassing yourself here dude. But then again, you may be achieving your aim of distracting from the substantive issue. Are ya on overtime for the Sunday?

Gas man. Trying to claim that burden of proof rests on the defendant. Definitely not in one of your preferred basement kangaroo courts it seems anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 69,156 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You seem to have missed the import of the Fr Reynolds case. Do research on it and it's implications, if you haven't come across it while gathering your legal expertise (a fanciful thought tbh, there are pages and pages available on google about it)

In the Carey programme they were extremely careful to dot every i and cross every t on what they were claiming. Nothing was alleged without back up. The transactions, the secret recordings, the bogus solicitor...etc etc etc all backed up and evidentially sound investigation. They alleged she had previous convictions and backed that up too.

• Advertisement

We are NOT discussing a 'report'. We are discussing a 'claim' made. (If you go with Astro's version of what this is about, it may not even be about this)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,682 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

I don't think those allegations have been proven Francie.

Either state that they have been proven or stop deflecting

You must be dizzy there Francie from all this pivoting. Like the Tasmanian devil at this stage. I was responding to a poster who outlined that their idea of "proof" was to have testimony from a witness. I merely pointed out to them that in the MC case, there is testimony (from here) and I wanted to know if said poster considered that allegation as proven as a result?

Ya know, consistency like?

And stop pretending that I was referencing allegations without back up.

Your argument is an entire mess Donald.

You have been proven to be selective and undemocratic. Rights are only for some people.

• Advertisement

And you a have shown by your dubious ignorance of the Fr Reynolds case and the Carey one that you don't understand the nature of good and bad investigatory reporting. In the Carey programme 'sources' made claims and then they backed those claims up with documentary evidence of the transactions and secret filming But in the Reynolds case they made a statement and DIDN'T have anything to back it up.

A world of difference there.

Now now now Francie. You know full well what you said and what I said.

You said that the press hould not be allowed to publish "unproven allegations". I explained to you that that would eliminate investigative journalism.

I pointed out the example of Ms. Carey where they used investigative journalism and published allegations which are still currently (as far as I am aware) unproven. You appear happy that those allegations were published.

You try to dance on the head of a pin now. So I invite you to state whether you are aware if the allegations against Ms. Carey have been proven (hint: they haven't been)

Or do we just have more inconsistency?

Donald, no more of your rubbish.

In the Carey programme they proved what they alleged - hence they were not taken to court.

In the Reynolds programme they didn't prove what they alleged and got sued.

I know now why you have amnesia about the Reynolds case, it is laughably transparent why. Not a leg to stand on Donald.

We know your position on these thing anyway Francie.

Person X does thing Y.

The consistent Francie rule is that that it is a terrible travesty of justice to report on X if it might look bad on SF. X can resort to the constitution, Bhudda, Moses, Mohammed, whatever. If it turns out that X is not linked to SF, then it is a terrible travesty of justice not to report on X.

Again, I'll invite you to state whether allegations against Ms Carey have been proven as fact. And sure, while you are at it, please tell us which ones? Thanks

Either do that or stop waffling on dancing on the head of a pin

Rubbish and something you cannot back up either. A pattern of lies developing here when you are called out.

There is no travesty of justice here in my opinion, MLMD has excercised her right to redress and that will now proceed as it should.

It's you guys that are shouting about justice and why it isn't your brand that is being enforced. Own it.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,552 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

"Leo the leak" is as pathetic as "Mary Sue" - hopefully some of you can rise above all that nonsense. If you don't I'll just threadban you

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,552 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 16,724 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I of course should have included this yesterday:

Next time one of the SF cult members accuse me of running away and not provide evidence, bring your A game rather than looking like a fool like francie.

Victim blaming after all that, what absolutely foul behaviour.

• Advertisement

Astro, you didn't provide evidence of anything. I looked back at the case there and MLMD didn't use the word 'liar'.

"Specific assertions have been made by Mairia in respect of Sinn Fein, she has accused us of covering up abuse. She has asserted that we have refused to cooperate with the police and Garda and the PSNI, presumably on matters pertaining to abuse. I want to say again, categorically that is untrue, that is a falsehood."

You are having to exaggerate, not a good look.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,724 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Only in the delusional fantasy world inhabited by some, direct quotes were provided, including by yourself now. I'm not sure the debate is fair anymore as it simply involves mocking those who don't have the capacity to understand what's going on or more arguing with a dictionary.

(a falsehood is a lie francie)

If that is what you call 'vitriol' all I can say to you again, is the best of luck with that.

How was it not a falsehood, the RUC/PSNI were found to have sat on information and arrests for 10 years.

Again, the definition of a 'cover-up' may need some review.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

I missed:

MLMD called MC a liar.

Can you link to it? Thanks.

Someone on RTE referred to this in a radio programme. MLMD is suing RTE. 

If you are referring to the Morning Ireland show, the host said MLMD doesn't believe abuse victims and supports the IRA interviewing them. Not as clear cut a package based on you saying she called MC a liar, even if she did.

A lot of energy going into this considering you don't seem to know the details and a lot of bile regarding so called SLAPPS considering she is the alledged victim and if she feels she was defamed its not a SLAPPS at all.

So yourself and others are not believing the alledged victim and questioning her intent since day one. Nice. Lucky for Maria Cahill she's useful to youse.

Indeed Bruce. The selectivity is a thing to behold.

Bringing Saville back into the thread again despite an explicit warning not to do so. Threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You have turned yourself into a parody account now. That clearly accuses Mairia Cahill of lying, of being a liar.

However, that quote is very very interesting. If you want to analyse the syntax as carefully as you do, when Mary-Lou refers to "categorically, that is untrue, that is a falsehood", given the grammatical context, she is only referring to the allegation of refusing to co-operate with the police and garda and PSNI. Because the accusation of SF covering up abuse is in the previous sentence, if you take a purely grammatical approach, you have to conclude that Mary-Lou isn't actually stating that is a falsehood.

Now, that is as technically correct as you stating that Mary-Lou didn't use the word lie or liar, but if you want to get to that detail of analysis, you therefore have to concede that Mary-Lou didn't challenge the statement that SF covered up abuse. Now, I believe Mary-Lou intended to challenge both sentences when she accused Mairia of lying, but then I am looking at the broad strokes, not taking the pedantic grammatical approach that you are doing.

If the RUC/PSNI knew enough about it for 10 years to make arrests then somebody is telling porkies about a 'cover-up.

MLMD did not use 'vitriol' to say that.

Other than that, I just think you are spinning so much you are making both of us dizzy tbh.

We have a new standard here, if a TV programme is not taken to court, they have proven what they alleged.

Does that apply to the PIRA killing Paul Quinn? Does that mean that Gerry Adams committed perjury in your eyes in the Liam Adams case, as the story he told to Spotlight, and didn't sue for, is different? Does it mean that everything else in that Spotlight programme is true, including that Liam Adams was part of Sinn Fein for a very long time after his brother knew he was a pedo? Does it mean that the allegations about Morris are also true? Here is an article from the Broken Elbow, is this all true because nobody has sued?

The webs you weave lead you into nonsense territory again.

• Advertisement

Again, and going down into your rabbit-hole of pedantic analysis of grammar and language, the Mairia Cahill claim as paraphrased by Mary-Lou, and subsequently unchallenged by Mary-Lou, refers to her accusing SF "of covering up abuse", it doesn't specifically reference Mairia's claim, so you would have to demonstrate that every single case of abuse wasn't covered up and that Mary-Lou did not challenge the statement.

Or we can end this silly game of pedantic grammar and language analysis and accept that Mary-Lou called MC a liar.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement