Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

I thought that against Tipp but still the bench came on and finished it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭billyhead

Peter Casey and Cathal O'Neill still have to return from injury and obviously Cian Lynch so the bench will look a lot better than.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,722 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Limerick through to the Munster football final. Get the job done tomorrow and we can cement our place as the new dual power in Munster 😝

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Greasy Paw

Yes. Congratulations to Billy Lee and all involved. Best of Luck in the Final.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Hegarty gets a yellow….. no surprise there.

Dishing out the timber kinda fluirseach…..

• Advertisement

As I thought , Hegarty red, was definitely too generous with the timber.

Doesn’t need that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

No harm to Hegarty. Living on the edge for far too long. Fine hurler but reminds me of Austin Gleeson. Has all the talents but no head.

We could see the ref needing a bit of protection after this…..

Agree there, he is a great great player, but needs to be less generous with the timber.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Tommysocks11

Absolute joke, hegartys first yellow was never a card, up to clare man to move back, unfortunately gearoids perceived reputation got him carded, this is all brought about by a national media witch hunt, they are trying their best to knock limerick off our perch, otherwise I thought backs played well, midfield good but will has a tendency to give away lot of fouls, forwards poor overall, Hayes, boylan, Flanagan and Tom Morrissey poor, reidy has had plenty of chances and no improvement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,020 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

That's fair enough for the first if he hit the ball but he just pulled straight on the ball. It was stupid by him.

Those backs are an incredible unit absolutely mesmerizing to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭billyhead

Agree. There's great cohesion between them. They play on the edge but that hunger and drive is what all young kids should aspire to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭Figerty

Pulled on the ball before the whistle was blown while the Clare man was in his way.. Easy see why he would do that but the referee refs the game.

He made it easy for the ref later with the niggly stuff. Class hurler and for his size his mobility and control is exceptional.

Limerick has more in the tank than Clare do for the Munster final. Clear favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭C4000

Embarrassing refereeing from Colm Lyons today. Had a good view of both Hegarty's yellow cards, neither of which should have been given. For the second one, the ref didn't see anything in the incident, but as Aaron Fitzgerald was pathetically rolling around, he felt he had to do something. He consulted his linesman, who also saw nothing, and then went into his umpires, 50 metres away, before giving the 2nd yellow on the basis of absolutely nothing.

Hegarty was sent off for being Gearoid Hegarty, nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭High bike

100% correct,an umpire 50 or 60 yds away could see what happened when half the time they can't see whether the ball was a wide or a point.There was 2 such incidents in the Cork match today both in favour of Waterford

In a way the manner of the red card helps Limerick. Lyons is going to be dragged from pillar to post in the papers tomorrow and Fitzgerald will no doubt be getting plenty of feedback too whereas Hegarty, a guy who isn't whiter than white, gets to be the innocent party.

Not sure what to make of today accept to say Tony Kelly is a genuine classy hurler for any era and Clare will always have a chance when he's in this sort of form. Don't think we dealt with him well at all, tbh.

Hegarty would do himself and Limerick a big favour if he controlled his timber better.

Most honest folk admit he is ‘loose’ with the hurley which is why he attracts attention, not because he is Hegarty.

Those who know hurling can see this, and it’s a pity because he doesn’t need to do it.

He is a class hurler without any of that stuff.

I agree but Fitzgerald rolling around like he'd been sucker punched in the gut makes it very easy for Hegarty to argue the ref made a really bad mistake because he pre-judged Hegarty on his reputation. it was a disaster of a call and will probably impede Lyons getting bigger games for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Yes Hegarty is targeted all the time. The first yellow was a joke. The second a travesty. The outrageous thing is nobody saw anything. This was clearly evident in Lyons going from the linesman to the umpires. No one saw anything so he then said ' I ll send him off anyway'. Its so poor. If you don't see something you can't book a guy. Fitzgerald should be retrospectively carded for simulation.

Boylan was unlucky to he taken off. Flanagan was poor..Reidy totally ineffective. Oisin Rielly was poor. Mulcahy is finished.

Guys every single time I go on about Kyle Hayes shooting technique. It's appalling for a great kid. Whis coaching him. His head is up when he's striking. If he was a golfer he'd be taken aside and told. Everything skews off to his right. He doesn't strike through the ball. Why is no one helping him fix this.?

Nash ,Casey ,hannon and Byrnes were great.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i have to say dispite all the madness in the north terrace today i was mesmerised at the performances of said byrnes,hannon , nash and especially mike casey who was nothing short of sensational at times given what that clare inside line has done over the past two games

question for limerick supporters , limerick allowed tony kelly the freedom of the park today , who would be the best man to track him for the final if lynch is not fit , the two lads in midfield are not the type of player to cover him , neither is anyone in the half back line

great atmosphere in town today and a great game , lets hope the final is as good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Windy, in the last few meetings Limerick have never assigned someone just to track Kelly. It's a case of closest player to him at any given time picks him up as Kelly floats so much. Lynch would never be assigned to track him anyway. But in some game Kiely/Kinnerk could pull a rabbit from the hat and do something different. They are famous for it by now,

Having said that Tony is an outrageous talent and by far the best forward in the game right now.

Agree too on the Limerick backs. Brilliant as a unit again today. Great to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

lynch did a good job on him in 2019 and 2017 in thurlas , heagarty will get that red over turned but his persona on the field is killing him ,

also if i was a limerick supporter for the final i would like to see kyle hayes in the half forward line where he can power through defenders and not be static , also i think shamus flanagan would be better suited to be brought out to the middle of Alicante for the final where he can concentrate on his hair doo then loitering around the limerick full forward line aimlessly 🤣 , gillane will be a huge plus for the final

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I seemed like it was the umpires behind the goal who saw it, on TV it showed how it would have looked from their angle. And from that angle it looked worse than it actually was, you could only see Fitzgerald's back and Hegarty's hurley swinging around the front. You can see a swing, but not really if there's anything in it. I can see why a referee might give a yellow for that, "no need for it" and all that.

It didn't help Hegarty's cause that there was a vocal home crowd, and that Fitzgerald was in a heap on the ground.

The first yellow card was very strange, seemed really harsh.

It was a very very big call for a man who didn't see it and who's linesman didn't see it and who's umpires did not have any sort of clear view.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭C4000

While Kyle Hayes has done OK in the full forward line and is a presence there, I'd agree that he is much better out the field where he is coming on to ball and running at teams.

In relation to Kelly, I don't think they'll assign a man marker to follow him. They seem to prefer to let him off rather than disrupt their own set up/game plan. Even by his standards the first half was freakish yesterday, every shot he took went over, regardless of angle or distance.

Thought Will O'Donoghue was outstanding yesterday, won a lot of contests that were 60/40 or worse against him.

Gillane and Cathal O'Neill will be back in for the final which will make a difference to our scoring threat.

Looks likely that both Limerick and Clare will end up in the semi finals (Limerick 1/100 to get there with the bookies!) as the Munster final losers face the Leinster third place team or Joe McDonagh runners up in a quarter final.

I was in Parnell Park Saturday evening and Cusack Park yesterday. The smaller venues are great in terms of generating an atmosphere. They could seriously do with looking at the facilities in Ennis though, nowhere near enough toilet facilities particularly for the women.

Trying to get to the toilets in the East terrace is a disaster too. Also no running water to wash your hands.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,789 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

The referee went to them all to get as much information as he could - nothing wrong with that. No idea what the linesman saw or said.

Not sure how you can say the umpires didn't have a clear view. One of them was chatting away explaining what he saw for quite a while.

If he saw nothing - short conversation surely. He saw enough to convince the ref. That's part of his job. That yellow was fine I think.

If Hegarty didn't use the timber like he did, it wouldn't be a problem. Too many players fling the hurley like that, the more that are booked the better imo.

The booking for the sideline was much stranger and incorrect in my view.

Does a player need to wait for a whistle from the ref to take a sideline? The Clare player was clearly not moving away as he should have, trying to slow down the sideline being taken. I wish players would flake a little bit more in that instance to cut out that crap.

Well the umpires didn't have that clear a view cause they were wrong. You are very much in the minority thinking that's a yellow and the Clare player should be ashamed of that cowardly dive.

Both Clare players plain and simple were cheating and the ref fell for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭High bike

Oh sweet Jesus I give up

Advertisement