Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Mikey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

Every time I watch a Cycling Mikey video it reminds me not to be so petty with other road users.

I mean every cyclist knows and experiences the bad and downright dangerous driving out there, yet still the stuff that he posts, reports to police and makes videos of always seems to be of the less egregious kind compared to a lot of the day to day dangerous driving that one sees. He seems to see minor infractions as really serious events. It always makes me think not to be too self righteous on the road as a cyclist as we all sometimes make mistakes and bad decisions as drivers and as cyclists (or at least I’m not perfect).

Anyway, it’s just an observation. I don’t really want to get into a flame war with his defenders on here so it would be nice not to attacked for expressing that opinion (the point of a forum like boards I think).

Every "minor infraction" he highlights has been the cause of the deaths of pedestrians, cyclists and other motorists e.g. Using the phone while driving, driving on the wrong side of the road etc.

They are minor until they are not at which point they often become life changing for those involved

• Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

"They are minor until they are not at which point they often become life changing for those involved"

It's this observation exactly, thank you DaCor.

It's also culture change Mr. Cats. For example, when are drivers, including cyclists who drive, going to accept that it's not acceptable to access a phone while behind the wheel of vehicle? Not even while stopped. The only tools we appear to have access to are sanctions, as asking drivers not to do this has not worked. Shocking ads on TV have not worked.

Drink driving culture did not change because drivers copped on or suddenly and gratuitously became more considerate, it changed because detections and sanctions strengthened to match a hardening national resolve to get off the bottom rung of the tolerance ladder within the developed world.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The fact that driving on the wrong side of the road, breaking red lights or driving with a mobile are considered minor by abyone is deeply worrying.

These are all extremely dangerous behaviours that cost lives. If you think they are OK when driving then please stop driving!

Every one of these things should carry 6 points and a fine. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

YouTube algo still throws his videos at me. Seems he's getting worse this week.

A reminder to all.. don't engage with morons and don't antagonise them. Especially when it appears he's winding people up off camera (hand gestures etc)

I fear for the guys life, his ego is ruining a good thing he is doing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I had a guy on Wednesday morning pull out of the line of traffic, cut me off, mount the pavement and drive along for 30m to make a red light. All in all it may have saved him 6 seconds. When I tipped the car to wake him up to the fact that I had been there, he went on a rant for 'touching his mota', that I must have been speeding as I wasn't there when he pulled out and I was a c*nt. ID4 (and ID3) drivers are the new w*nkers defined by their car based on a small sample subset. I calmly pointed out that he pulled out in front of me and drove on a pavement. He just didn't get it, the only one in the wrong (and I was), was me for waking the useless f*ckhole up.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

They just don't see it,

I constantly call out how thousands of cars on a daily basis drive on footpaths and this needs to be dealt with. Commonly I get replys saying that they never see cars driving on paths.

To which my response is, "How do you think the car got on the footpath to park on it, did it teleport into place?"

People just don't see these things as an issue and its frankly scary, the past few years I've learned the frustration of bringing little cabaal around in a buggy and idiots parked on footpaths. I've had a number of run in's with motorists about their behavior.

I'd hate to have any sort of mobility issue in Ireland because we as a society don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Does this 'don't engage' approach apply to the rest of your life? If I let my dog crap on your lawn every morning, will you avoid engaging? If I skip past you in the queue for the till, will you avoid engaging?

Tell us more about his off-camera hand gestures that you didn't see? Any specific examples please?

Oh how I laughed at the suggestion of hand gestures off camera, is Mikey doing stuff like this then?

😂

• Registered Users Posts: 15,952 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Well when I watched one of his latest videos as was mentioned above it was clear to me that he was making gestures to the driver he was winding up. Then I think Mikey even admitted he was doing it

• Advertisement

8:40, someone on phone but leaves them alone as he moves to next car where he can wind the lad up better with the window down. 10:00 mins hand gestures

Is this the off-camera hand gesture you're talking about?

Haven't watched his videos in a while, he's definitely more antagonistic in that looking for reaction and the name calling is new too?

He absolutely was harassing that driver, and winding him up.

But unfortunately, he can't be identified and reported to the police.

What a complete and utter arsehole. I agree with the driver - pathetic behaviour.

Yes, the identity of the caped crusader will never be known.

Nice of you to pick sides with the dangerous driver though.

Yes.

you were looking for examples. I don’t know what he was doing off camera though, how could I.

Please don't conflate my opinion that the cyclist was acting like an arsehole, as approval of the driver using his phone while at the wheel.

He was winding the driver up. He made his point, but then made the situation worse by continuing to film, and taunt the guy. It was harassment.

As far as I'm concerned, after that, he loses any credibility for calling the guy out in the first place. And while "cyling mikey" may be known amongst the cycling community, he is probably not known to non-cyclists, or the driver of the car.

To him, he is probably just another nut-job who needs to get an actual life.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

He was being an arsehole. Driver was too, but so was he.

Again it's like the Irish lad a few years ago who started answerer criticism with antagnosim themselves in search of a reaction.

Just a bit surprised that people are commenting on off-camera gestures that they didn't see, when in fact, the gesture was repeated on camera when questioned. The implication that he was using off-camera gestures to secretly wind people up doesn't really stand up.

Sorry for my misunderstanding.

He was certainly taunting the guy, but it's a bit of a stretch to call it harassment. If the guy was actually feeling harassed, the first thing he would do is put up the window and stop engaging. The driver wanted an argument, and was very keen to engage. When the engagement didn't go according to plan, he decided to play the victim card and claim harassment, while continuing to engage and abuse.

Mikey literally told him how to find his channel on YouTube, so any suggestion that he was hiding behind anonymity doesn't really stand up either.

• Advertisement

Lol it's this level of antagonistic bs that pisses people off. You've thrown those ridiculous scenarios at me before... They just don't compare.

The off camera hand gesture was Mikey waving his little finger at a driver to call him small dicked. It went on camera as the driver called it out. You think that's a reasonable thing for a grown man to be doing? Actually no need to answer, because I suspect I know...

"The implication that he was using off-camera gestures to secretly wind people up doesn't really stand up."

Incidentally there was no implications. He was actually gesturing off camera before he then had to repeat it on camera because the driver called him out.

The two of them were acting like arseholes.. what's the point in getting involved in a roadside argument (other than to produce material for yt..).

One day he will come a cropper for sure. Hopefully not, but if he keeps going down that path it won't end well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I don't get the antagonism in the UK where his video will end up getting them punished. Over here nothing would happen so I would see the point in antagonism just to get the point across. This obviously is a personal choice and I 100% respect anyone who doesn't because f*CK knows nowadays how vicious a reaction someone could have.

So what if he pissed people off? Maybe people who drive round on the phone need to be pissed off?

That's his choice. If you don't like his style, don't watch his videos, just to get yourself all riled up. They're not mandatory.

The idea of some conspiracy around the gestures is nonsense. Of course it was off-camera, because the camera is on his head and his hands are at a lower level. He had no difficulty in repeating the gesture for the camera when it was queried. He didn't seem to be embarrassed by the gesture. There is no indication it was off-camera for any particular reason.

It's hilarious the lengths to which people will go to have a go at the guy who's got over 1,000 penalty points issued to dangerous drivers, got 15-20 dangerous drivers disqualified. He has some record to be proud of.

No. I'm not riled up in any way. Not by Mikey. He does a good job, I just think he needs to wind his neck in a bit before he gets thumped.

The antagonistic bs that I refer to was *your* comments - all your talk about dog crap or whatever. It's nonsense comparisons and you've been here before.

Regarding this stuff about conspiracy theories, what are you blethering on about? I said he was being a prick (yes off camera) and he was, what's the big deal? Why do you get so upset that I call this out? Especially to go on a multi page crusade each time it happens? There are no lengths to go to lol. Good people can be dickheads too you know..

These discussions always go round in circles. You have your style, I have mine and I know which type of road use I prefer.

Lol

Mikey's style has gotten over a thousand penalty points issued. What has your style got?

Mikey could have got the 1k without the interaction and afters, how does him antagonising people gain more penalty points?

Honestly, what's your problem?

Don't be critical of Mikey or you'll upset AJR!!!

• Advertisement

Exactly the good work he does is separate to his backchats and smarmy comments. Dunno why I'm being personally brought into it tho lol

Advertisement