Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,755 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Not going to happen.

I doubt any of the 23 from yesterday will be anything other then a spectator

• Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Baird will be in the mix next week if he came through the A game. It will be all change though from yesterday, nothing to actually play for and a final the following week, I think the full 23 could well be rested. Not sure beyond Baird who might possibly be pushing into the 23 for Marseille barring injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I would hope a few of the subs get 50 mins but not necessarily expecting it. There's a risk of some of those lads going in to the final undercooked. I really don't want Luke McGrath playing the last 20mins of the CC final with only about 100mins of rugby in 2 months. He looks rusty as hell when he comes on at this point.

I think Ruddock could do with a hit out (18mins in the last two weeks) and Ross Byrne is also in need of game time (68 mins since the Munster game in Thomond at the start of April).

It'll be a heavily weakened side but definitely a case for a few guys to blow off some rust, particularly McGrath.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

30k! Jaysus. So, I presume this match was pre-planned for the Aviva? I thought it was a scramble due to it being a cancelation from the previous date? That's quite a load of punters.

Europe is the goal for Leinster. They will baby the top players. A run against Munster will be ideal for young players like Clarkson. I'm unsure about Treacy and his injury status? If he's fit, he will play. Luke may need minutes and if RB does need minutes, it would be smart to have him on the bench. HB is unlikely to get anymore match time and there's no reason not to let him start.

Some lads have been crapped on with injury. Milne lost the entire season, Connors also and DK. But, I think Leo will give minutes to those who are leaving. It his a home match, after all.

Out of curiosity, if there's no profit turned from this week's match, Leinster will get nothing of benifit? Surely financial gain is the important factor to switching this match to the Aviva?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,034 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

The game was meant to be in the Aviva back at the start of April when there was a much higher chance that you'd have seen two full strength sides with more to play for as well as being a tuner for the CC Round of 16.

Switching the fixtures around and putting it last up has just unfortunately conspired to it being a dead rubber for Leinster where profit is likely the only benefit.

Also, there's a huge benefit to the second string players getting experience and/or minutes on the pitch against decent opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

They sold 30k tickets so they have made profit

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Leinster have earned the right not to field a full team next week. It will be some of the subs from yesterday, the veterans and the kids, and righftully so.

The season is running late. At thos rate there's going to be a short summer off. The Urc playoffs are not on schedule? Have they been moved back due the covid?

On the subject of using the Aviva, is that the union that moves the matches away from the rds? I don't see much logic in it. Playing to a half empty stadium versus a full rds. Obviously, next week will have a decent attendance, but that is due in part to nobody foreseeing that this fixture is non essential for Leinster.

Are the ticket prices similar? The Aviva is a decent venue but filling it is tough. I look at the arenas in S.A and the vast amount of empty seats. I know restrictions due to covid are responsible, but it's doubtful that the S.A teams fill those stadiums.

I look at the rds as home. It's not a great venue but it's Leinsters. I think the rds when full, has a better atmosphere.

Leinster have been playing the home URC game against Munster at the Aviva for the best part of 12 or so years.

I can't ever remember many occasions where the stadium was hugely empty, or that Leinster would have lost money on the decision.

Leinster have an excellent record in the Aviva too. I don't really see what the fuss is about. Even next week's game, a dead rubber for Leinster, will still have a good crowd and a good atmosphere probably given the opposition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,034 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

We played Munster in the Pro14 semi-final in 2019 in the RDS and it was a cracking atmosphere. Would love that if they met in a knockout game, it's played there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

So, La Rochelle in the final. Leinster will have to try and replicate the strategy used against Toulouse. Their scrum is a massive weapon so we'll need to minimise the number of contests throughout the game. Keep the ball in hand as much as possible, dominate possession and kick intelligently.

But a possession based strategy will have its risks, especially against La Rochelle. They look far more threatening on the deck than Toulouse were yesterday. If it becomes a slug fest it'll be very hard for Leinster to win. They have bigger men who'll scrum and maul all day.

Their attacking structure really isn't that sophisticated. They have huge men that get over the gain line who then offload to another big men. But their decision making when offloading is pretty poor and a lot of them go to ground. If Leinster can back them into a corner where they're forced to play from deep, I can see them making a lot of mistakes.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,625 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Leinster by 20+ in the final for me

La Rochelle are home to Stade Francais (currently 11th) next weekend, and currently sit just outside the playoff places in seventh. After that, they only have one league game left, away to Lyon (currently above La Rochelle in 5th).

That was a fairly bruising and energy sapping game today, so will be curious to see how strong a side they pick next weekend. Would have thought domestic support and ownership won't allow them to abandon the Top 14 for a potential European title, but maybe I'm wrong.

Matt Williams suggested post match that he expects Leinster's ultimate bogeyman Will Skelton will be fit for the final, when I'd heard on a podcast this week he wouldn't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Blut2

Leinster have sold over 30,000 tickets already for the Aviva game, and still have a week to go to sell more. The RDS only has a capacity of 18,500. Thats a massive difference in ticket revenue.

Theres a reason Leinster play Munster in the Aviva it every year, and thats because it makes them a lot more money than playing in the RDS would.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Can't see Leinster losing much sleep having watched that slogfest.

A better, fitter more experienced side compared to last year's semi-final. Sexton and Gibson-Park in the form of their lives (missing last year) and a laser-like focus on that fifth star against a La Rochelle side who have regressed slightly on last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I don't think La Rochelle will be as turgid in the final but huge difference from last year will be they are without Skelton, who caused havoc in that SF, and Leinster have Sexton/JGP back at halfback who are a very high-tier test quality pair of halfbacks. Leinster also have Doris this season who has become one of the best backrows in Europe. Going to be a very tough game, I wouldn't be looking at that SF and thinking Leinster will have it handy, they haven't made the final by accident, they haven't lost a game in the tournament so far, and they are pretty stacked.

Also, we've got about 12 months of Jonny Sexton left, just an absolutely remarkable player. I can't believe the level he's playing at at this stage of his career. He honestly is as good as he's ever been, I don't think he was significantly better the season he won WPOTY. It's still really hard to fathom he didn't start all 3 Lions tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

I don't think we'd be getting the brilliant performances that we're getting out of him had he started all 3 tests in SA personally. Him not going on that tour and getting the extra rest and full pre-season has been brilliant for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Lsdrugbyfan

thank god he didnt waste his time on that lions series.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Is there a danger Leinster have played their final in the semi-final and La Rochelle are timing their run well and will peak when it matters most?

It's good there's a two-week break anyway. It would be difficult to raise performance levels that high again in just 7 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,651 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Running trend on here of people wildly underpredicting Leinster ticket sales this season..

Its a Saturday in May, its Leinster vs Munster, it'll sell tickets even if its meaningless to the home team..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

If we play at 70% of what we did yesterday, we'll beat La Rochelle, and probably handily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Leinster are 1/6 to win. Holy crap.

No. Leinster played exactly the way Leinster play. There is nothing non-repeatable about the performance, there was no going to the well, no emotional battling back against a lost cause, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Sexton looks as good as he does lately in large part due to the evolution of Leinster's playing style, and the emergence of personnel to take the pressure off him. Lowe, Keenan, Ringrose etc sharing the duties at first receiver or receiving passes out the back from forwards.

That's not to say Leinster can't/won't fluff their lines in the final.

• Advertisement

Anyway, this Munster game. Need to avoid a repeat of the Rainbow Cup fixture which was lost 3-27.

Teamsheet that day was:

1. Edward Byrne
    2. Dan Sheehan
    3. Andrew Porter
    4. Ross Molony
    5. James Ryan
    6. Ryan Baird
    7. Scott Penny
    8. Josh Murphy
    9. Hugh O’Sullivan
    10. Harry Byrne
    11. James Lowe
    12. Rory O’Loughlin
    13. Garry Ringrose (captain)
    14. David Kearney
    15. Jordan Larmour
    16. Seán Cronin
    17. Peter Dooley
    18. Michael Bent
    19. Scott Fardy
    20. Martin Moloney
    21. Cormac Foley
    22. David Hawkshaw
    23. Tommy O’Brien

I'm not really a fan of Baird at blindside at the moment - based on what I've seen of him there to date. Doesn't have enough presence in the tight. Sometimes I think it's better to put a 'loose' 6 in as the athletic lock (alongside a powerful th secondrow) and have more of a grafter at blindside. I used to wonder would England/Leicester have been better off putting Tom Croft in the second row and bringing in a hard-nosed smash 'em blindside at 6.

We might see something like:

1. Edward Byrne
    2. John McKee
    3. Thomas Clarkson
    4. Joe McCarthy
    5. Ryan Baird
    6. Alexis Soroka
    7. Scott Penny
    8. Max Deegan
    9. Cormac Foley
    10. Harry Byrne
    11. Jordan Larmour
    12. Rory O’Loughlin
    13. Jamie Osborne
    14. Robert Russell
    15. Max O'Reilly
    16. James Tracy/Sean Cronin
    17. Michael Milne
    18. Vakhtang Abdaladze
    19. Devin Toner
    20. Sean O'Brien
    21. Luke McGrath
    22. Ross Byrne
    23. Conor O’Brien

The pack is probably on the lightweight side. They'll have to step up. Their experience on the South African tour should stand to them. When they're facing South African, or South African-style, teams it's first and foremost about fronting up physically.

If Larmour isn't available, I guess ROL to the wing with COB or Hawkshaw coming into the XXIII at 12. Or I suppose maybe Cosgrave on the wing. He's appeared there once or twice for the 'A's recently.

It's a dreadful pity Tommy O'Brien picked up another long-term injury.

Advertisement