Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭Jizique

Good few frees missed today, both Bennett and Gleason

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Hard to say much to soften the blow today, I'm nearly using this as therapy session. Hats off to Cork, by far the better team. Won on the pitch and won on the sideline.

Not a lot of positives for us. The full back line did ok considering the ocean of space in front of them. Austin did well up to his red card (I haven't seen it back and was in the wrong place to see it at the time). Paddy Curran had a few moments and Dessie was sharp in the first half when we got ball to him, he got no ball in the second half.

Puckouts were an utter disaster. Watching the forwards they're timing was miles off that of O Brien on goal. He was also way too slow when there were quick ones on. No fault of his for the goals though. I can't understand why we don't use Kiely for them, instead we send him in low ball.

We were beaten comprehensively ón breaking ball. Possibly connected to that was Jamie Barron didn't look close to being fit. Twice he had chances to run forward into open space and twice he didn't.

All in all a really disappointing performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Cahill himself exposed today. Can blame the players all he wants he’s got to look in the mirror too. All well and good getting a reaction against Clare team already qualified next weekend, today was the day to stand up and be counted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

I met two Cork friends of mine in Youghal this evening, both of whom are as staunch Cork hurling as you’ll meet. The first thing both of them said to me was that Austin was “blackguarded”. Mullane got the same treatment for years and if Mullane did something then he got it in the papers. Austin Gleeson gets it on Facebook, Twitter etc. Both men said Gleeson was effectively taken out of the game and to play as well as he did in the circumstances shows how good he is.

Anyone criticising Austin Gleeson would want to go and **** off for themselves. The chap pulled us through I don’t know how many games over the years and the grief he gets is just plain wrong. I’d like to know what people expected him to do today? If players go out of their way to get someone sent off, it’s going to happen. Once Austin got his first yellow today, the writing was on the wall. Cork did their best to get him red carded and it worked.

For those criticising Kieran Kingston, you can go and get fucked as well. The man has gotten absolutely vilified down here in Cork and it was all on the line for him today. Cahill’s interview was shocking also I thought. If I was a player after bursting myself for him for the last couple of years I wouldn’t be too happy with him. No need for his comments especially as I think he ballsed it up today himself anyway. Where do we go from here as a county? I’m not sure. Underage we’re a total mess and if/when Cahill goes then I honestly don’t know who comes in to replace him.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Yeah puck outs were bad and some of the delivery into the forwards was poor with the ball going over the sideline. The Sunday Game gave credit to Cork for marking up for the puck outs.

I don’t think we send enough direct ball into Kiely. He’s proven that he’s a handful in every game. Makes an old school nuisance of himself and opportunities seem to break off him.

Do we go for goal too much? I thought on a few occasions that lads in a yard of space could have taken a point (not guaranteed but a decent chance) but instead played risky passes which turned the ball over. I think it’s fine in the league to target goals but in the heat of championship, the score board needs to tick a bit more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,316 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Do we need a Director of hurling position

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Shellshocked lads, I can't put into words how disappointed and pissed off I am after that. The worst performance under Cahill and boy did we pick a good day for it to come. Had we kept a stinker like that for next week after we qualified or a Munster final you wouldn't be too bothered as we'd go again but now it's out of our own hands regardless of what happens in Ennis. I don't see us beating Clare anyway (even if we had beaten Cork it was always going to be very tough to get a result up there) and Cork have renewed purpose that any win over a Tipp team on their holidays will somehow see them through.

Can't believe how many passengers we had today, nobody apart from Aussie stood up. They can all go out to put that right next week but it's summer over I feel. Absolutely sickening, I genuinely haven't felt this sickened since the '16 and '11 Munster finals, '08 AI final if I'm honest...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Ian OB

RTE player wouldn't function on computer at work this afternoon. Come home & Saorview decides to lose half the channels. Am royally p1ssed off with the whole world right now. It'll be this time tomorrow before I'll be in a position to get the Sunday Game on the NowTV RTE app.

No idea what Cahill had to say after the match. But if he isn't taking full ownership of the performance & outcome then he needn't hang around until next Sunday night before considering his term to be finished. We're going to have a greater need for Tipp to win than ourselves next weekend. We have to cheer for Tipp!!! &£#££'##_&£##&£##£ sake

• Registered Users Posts: 6,027 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

same thing happened us in 2016 , we even had paul kinnerk back with us that season , won the league , lost to ye a few weeks later won one or two mediocre qualifiers against offaly and a bad limerick team at the time and thrashed in the all ireland q/f by galway ,

this format is unforgivable , if there was a few more minutes added on today in ennis and limerick grabbed a late score the whole picture changes , cork should never have been written off in the way they were before todays game , they played some brilliant hurling in the second half against us and brought it back to 2 points from 13 at one stage ,

• Advertisement

The only plus side is that I'm going to live forever. Because it doesn't look like Waterford will win the McCarthy Cup in my lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

So the players are 100% absolved of any blame for losing today?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

It's a carbon copy of that for Hegarty. i dont blame the refs but most of the time a linesman or umpire can see it.

Notice how quick they were to red card Aussie in the league when he struck back with minimal contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

On a plus, the match day programme had some details on the redevelopment of Walsh Park. Looks like it’s going ahead, “again”. Phase 1 starting in August of this year.

So far Cahill hasn't accepted any blame for a poor result. After 3 years, this is his squad following his instructions. Therefore the buck stops at his desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Dont Stop

In Game Management awful today i though. Both games in Walsh Park havent been good and the gameplan doesnt match the ground, it seems. Very reactive and slow in trying to get at Cork today. Well bet, both on and off the pitch today. Cahill has to take some blame as the players, as a group seem leggy and off the pace.

Come on Tipp! Never thought id say that, and its a poor state that its gone from our hands after all the hope we had this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Still trying to pinpoint where this has all gone wrong all of a sudden, we’ve gone from being league champs and everyones second favourites for the AI a few weeks ago to what can only be described as a collapse against a Cork side that had no form whatsoever leading to to this game. The warning signs were there in the patchy performance against Tipp.

one thing that stood out for me yesterday was the demeanour of management teams on the sideline. Kingston was animated and and as fired up as I’ve seen him and the team really responded to it,

Cahills body language wasn’t great. Looked pissed off and moody half the time and I wonder is the relationship between players and management all as it seems. It’s year 3 of the project now and barring us actually qualifying for the AI series it’s hard to to say that it hasnt run its course

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭OEP

It was clear that Aussie was being targeted for the whole game, and I don't blame him for the second yellow, but the first yellow was stupid. He went to do the Cork man with a very late challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Linesman was too busy watching the Waterford lads on the sidelne in front of the stand.

I'm surprised he saw any of the match.

He Was like Fr. Dougal on flag duty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Gardner

Piss poor and gone from championship.

Even though I don't agree with the numpty on the Deise banter page on Facebook but something did stand out to me about the crowd. We have a bunch of gobshites following us, everytime there was a free, there was people shooohing for the free taker. **** off out to ballinakill for yourselves if you want that shite.

Stephen Bennett is actually nearly like Pauric Mahoney at this stage, only there for frees which he is piss poor at it also. Absolute passenger. Watched him in warm up and he was slicing balls all over the place.

Think Cahill is done, can only beat the players for a certain period before it becomes tiresome. We've lost 9 out of 11 round robin games since the introduction of the system. Absolutely shocking stat.

Cahill out

Paddy Joe out

Woman following hurling out

Bring back Derek

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭JD. 60

The wheels came off big time yesterday. Where did it all go wrong ? Peaked in the closing stages of the League, maybe.

The much vaunted panel strength and being AI contenders has gone out the window (certain pundits are being very quiet all of a sudden).

In the unlikely event of Waterford squeezing through next weekend, what chance would you give them in the AI series.

As regards Cahill, this was supposed to be the year to 'kick on'. Maybe he'll walk away after next Sunday ; if so, good luck to him ; he did his best and gave us some good days. Would Darragh O'Sullivan be in the frame as his successor.

Wouldn't blame Aussie if he felt like walking away too, given the amount of abuse he gets. He's his own worst enemy at times but you could see the Cork players in his face all day, especially their No. 2 ; I was surprised Aussie didn't just flatten the little f***er (at least that would be a genuine sending off offence).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

I think Cahill will go and from what I’m hearing after yesterday he won’t be missed by certain people. The players probably know the game is up now and I’m not sure what kind of performance we’ll see next week. Clare will absolutely tear into us and anyone thinking they’ll put out a dodgy team are sadly mistaken, there’s lads fighting for places in a Munster final so they’ll want to lay down a marker.

Still not sure what happened yesterday, to me it looks like they’re overtrained. Cahill’s system and plan is based on every player running themselves into the ground - forwards working as a unit, forwards and backs working as a unit. There was none of that yesterday, the whole thing was just flat and it looked like the players couldn’t do it as opposed to didn’t do it. These aren’t bad players and two weeks ago they were rightly praised for their effort against Limerick. So I don’t accept any criticism or digs aimed at them. Players can have an off day, they’re young fellas and doing their best. They’re on the go a long time this season already and put an awful lot into the league campaign. Has it caught up with them?

Ill mention the Gleeson incident once more and I’m finished then. He didn’t swing the Hurley at the cork player, he wrapped his arm around the player and was holding the Hurley in his hand. For anyone thinking Gleeson was in the wrong listen to Brendan Cummins commentary. He was watching it and said Gleeson was the innocent party. Gleeson is getting awful abuse and it’s just a constant with him at this stage. He’s a young chap who has given up 8 years of his life playing senior hurling for Waterford. I don’t really care if he has an off day, a bad day or a red card in every game he doesn’t deserve the grief he gets. Grand from outside the county that’s always going to happen. But some of the stuff being said about him around the place by Waterford people is just not on and it has to stop. If he walked away from it this morning then the tributes would flood in. Waterford people love nothing more than building people up only to knock them down at the first chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Cahills stock is falling quickly, wont ever get the tipp job and being honest wont be winning an all ireland with waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Gardner

• Registered Users Posts: 2 symbio

Cork man here

Obviously thrilled with the result from our standpoint but being honest I was very disappointed with ye yesterday. Start of the year I thought ye could win it with the panel of players available to ye but by the looks of it something has gone amiss this year.

Bennett has to be nailing those frees and I expected a lot more from him after his league showings

Hutchinson is one of my favourite forwards in the game but in the last two outings he’s been well marshalled by ODonoghue but you need more from him.

Might be a controversial opinion but I thought ye were mad to drop Daire Lyons from centre field. To me he epitomised everything Cahill was about, an absolute work dog.

Calum Lyons is a joy to watch. Aussie in full flight the same. Sending off was probably harsh but I can see why the Ref gave it I must say. I’ve seen OLeary come in for some stick but it takes two to tango and Aussie was giving as good as he got. I actually think Aussie enjoys that side of the game too much

From our point of view we have to go and beat Tipp after a performance like that but being frank about it we are all playing for 2nd place again this year, can’t see anyone getting near a full strength Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

is there any decent video of the second gleeson yellow?

Missed the sunday game last night, the live feed moved away from the scrap just as it was getting started.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Interesting Stat

Out of 34 puckouts, Waterford only went short 5 times.

Went long 29 time of which we won retained possession only 13 times.

Cork scored 1-6 from our puckout.

Waterford get 20 scores from 41 shots - 49%

Compare that accuracy to Limerick (67%) and Clare ( 73%) yesterday.

Not having a reliable free taker is really hurting us.

Advertisement