Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing Nanny to Ireland

Options
  • 14-05-2022 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

I currently live in the Middle East with my family. We plan to move back later this year. We would love to bring our Filipino nanny back to Ireland with us. From research to date, it seems virtually impossible for a Filipino nanny to be granted a work visa in Ireland.

Does anyone have any advice (even very 'out there' ideas) on how to make this work?

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Since your looking for "out there" ideas try this one.

Divorce your wife and marry your nanny.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭FreeFallin

While your idea may work, I'm looking for something less severe! Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 19,368 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

You could get her pregnant and have the baby registered as an Irish citizen and try to leverage off that. It wouldn't be guaranteed but it would likely help her stay if you can get her over to Ireland at some stage.

Run it by your missus as an alternative to the divorce.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭FreeFallin

Anyone?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

To do it legally would be extremely difficult. Legal live in nannies have become virtually non existent since minimum wage legislation was applied to au pairs. Given that the skills are widely available in the EU there is little need (according to our govt) to import those skills from elsewhere.

The suggestion in post 2 is the only way I can think of bit that is legally dubious aswell.

Post edited by Pawwed Rig on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,269 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Help her get a visa. That is really the only answer. Everything else will fall into legally dubious or extreme.

Curious about the live in Nanny and min wage point. Obviously they should legal protection on wages. But what exactly is the issue. Could they not be paid min wage, and then billed for rent and food separately? Does the hours worked become much higher than the going rate. Does doing it by the book cause too much tax liability?

Just curious, I've no idea what a nanny costs. I wouldn't be doing it for buttons personally.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

You cannot legally charge them for room and board (other than a derisory amount per month).

Say minimum wage is €10. That means you have to earn €20 per hour. This would be a significant %age of most people's salaries if the nanny is doing 8 or 9 hours a day and does not compare favourably to creche fees. A night out where she babysat could be pushing them into 45-50 hrs a week (which is a long week for anyone). To pay these level of costs would be a grand off your gross paycheck for the week. If you also consider employers prsi and filing monthly payroll returns to be completely legal is expensive and a pain in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I expect impossible if what i was told is correct... i have family member married to lady from Turkey... she is only allowed a visa to stay in Ireland for 10 days holidays this summer i was told... it makes no sense to me...

That makes no sense. If an Irish person (genuinely) marries a non national it is easy enough to get them over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

Bringing Nanny to Ireland

Imports of Nanny Goats from Great Britain would be subject to a period of isolation. I don't know if you could import a Nanny at all from the Middle East. Best to contact the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs.

ps... you could always try smuggling it in, in a goatee beard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭AyeGer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Thats exactly what i thought... i wonder am i mistaken and they are not married... i did not question as not for me to ask...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,891 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Arrange a marriage for her.

Do you have any single friends who have difficulty getting a girlfriend? Perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭eusap

Assuming the nanny wants to come to ireland, She could do a Health Care Assistant course and apply for a Visa with this skill

Sorry, I'm not following.

How can you not legally charge somebody money for accommodation. Thousands of people rent rooms. I'm suggesting you do it separately.

I also don't follow the jump from 10 to 20. If the cost for them is 10 per hour, where does 20 come from? But of course hiring a full time nanny for 40+ hours a week is expensive. Should it not be. These things are not affordable by your average person. To afford it you'd need to be earning a lot more than 1000 quid a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

What planet do you live on ?

Most people bring up their own children and don't have slaves to do the work for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,891 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Along with growing all their own food, make all their own clothing and care for their disabled grannies, too.

€20 is how much you need to earn gross to pay someone €10.

Re rent - all the info is here

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/types_of_employment/domestic_workers_in_ireland.html

Were the nanny already in Ireland then it would be easy to do all this under the table (which is what happens in a large amount of cases) but given the OP requires sponsoring the nanny they would need to be aware of everything.

Totally agree that a domestic nanny is expensive. The issue is that hiring a Filipina in UAE is a much lower %age of an average salary than it is here and the Filipina has many more rights in Ireland than they do in UAE where they are often treated and paid extremely poorly (not suggesting that the OP is treating his nanny poorly)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭Tow

There are a lot of BS here, you would think this was posted in After Hours.

1. You are allowed to bring the nanny back to Ireland and there is a visa available to do so. You should be able to find info on the GNIB web site, unless it has been removed.

2. One here you will have to meet Irish laws and standards. You will be her employer and pay Irish minimum wage (a small amount for boarding can be deducted). You will also have to register as an employer with Revenue and make Submissions to them each time she is paid. Any basic payroll package will do this.

This is where the fun starts, the Filipino Embassador to Ireland thought he could treat his Filipino maid the same way as it she was in Philippines. He ended up in the labour courts and the net result is there is no longer a Filipino Embassy in Ireland.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

You'd want to be earning far more than €20 gross before you're anywhere near considering a Nanny. But I get what you're saying, as that's the gross cost.

That link refers to deductions that can be made from a min wage salary. I was refering to renting a room separate, ie not on payslip.

That said, min wage with the €23 deduction would come to €369 per week. You want to be some prick if you were expectation to pay less than that. I'd expect the going rate i nthe market to be much higher - ie not min wage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement