Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sweden avoiding lockdown

Comments

Nope, I've been arguing for choice. I have elderly relatives who made their choices and may or may not have ignored lockdown. That would have been their choice. There are elderly (or vulnerable) people who might have preferred to spend their final days with friends/family rather than isolation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Those people can lock themselves down forever if they want to. It’s when they expect me and everyone else to do the same that I start having a problem.

Very small sample size. Wonder how they feel now with their extra savings contributing to record levels of inflation.

At least they got to work in the PJ's for 2 years.

You can try to cherry pick and dress things up whatever way you want but people on here said that death tolls would be huge with no lockdowns.

After 2 years we are down to trying to prove that Sweden had some more deaths than other countries .

I personally don't care about Sweden at all. With no lockdown at all, they are around mid table in terms of deaths. Hardly worth getting bothered about

• Registered Users Posts: 15,212 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Not a choice Swedes had if they wished to keep a child off school because he/she had contacted the virus, so Sweden was not all about free choice either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Post edited by Flinty997 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,153 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Never mind the fact that their excess death rate per 100k was three times ours , as Fintan seems to want to ignore .

Ah don't be worrying about their elderly, jd , they didn't in Sweden . Didn't even admit them to hospital mostly or give them oxygen , wasted on anybody over 70 they reckoned , , just gave them morphine and closed the blinds .

But a lot of those supporting that sort of eugenics on other threads are here saying what a good job Sweden did .

Will get posters saying how their hospitals didn't become overwhelmed .

Many other hospital systems failed the elderly in the beginning like ours , but if we had banned people from acute care or ICU strictly on age basis we would probably have not needed a lockdown to preserve our health service either , but bodies would have piled a lot higher .

Their deaths are " not bad " by the metric of someone in UK or Italy or Eastern Europe but 3 times ours, and 9 to 10 times those of their neighbours in the Nordic region .

Stop spinning and winding people up with unvouched nonsense .

Ireland is not " following the Swedish approach " ..we are almost fully vaccinated and boosted and our hospital numbers and ICU cases are falling due to a milder variant .

Nobody else " followed" Sweden , with good reason .

And @[Deleted User] Ireland and other EU countries are not despotic . Most people while they weren't exactly deliriously happy about it were accepting more or less of restrictions because it was to help the vulnerable whom we knew would be the sickest by not overwhelming health services . Only a vocal minority protested here .

The proof that these countries respect their democracies and citizens rights are that they put in place financial supports for businesses and people affected , rolled out vaccines to everybody who wanted and needed them , and lifted restrictions when it was shown to safe to do so.

Sweden did not respect its citizens by lying about herd immunity which wasn't possible without a high death rate and/ or vaccination and not showing enough care to coordinate any supports for it's most vulnerable citizens .

That's not the idyll you guys are making out .

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭therapist3

Is everyone not following the Swedish approach now . . . . So then that means

• Advertisement

My goodness , thought this level of debate calling others " virtue signalling " when they disagree with your apparent " couldn't give a damn about anyone else" act was on another SM forum ...

At the end of the day, people on here would be better off spending their time questioning how a country like Ireland ends up with over 7000 deaths. Over 10000 if we include the north.

We have a young population. A great geographical advantage. And we had the strictest lockdown in all of Europe.

As I said already, i don't care about Sweden. But they didn't lockdown and their death rate is nowhere even close to what people predicted the death rate for a country not locking down would be.

Yes we are. Granted we are vaccinated but that's not much good to an 85 year old with terminal cancer. They'll still die with COVID and we'll still have COVID deaths.

The reality is enough people in Ireland ignored the lockdown to dilute the effects of the lockdown.

100% of such people do not die. So no they won't "still die" regardless.

I said the rules were despotic (and they were). Despotism (Greek: Δεσποτισμός, despotismós) is a form of government in which a single entity rules with absolute power. Normally, that entity is an individual, the despot; but (as in an autocracy) societies which limit respect and power to specific groups have also been called despotic. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Despotism#:~:text=Despotism%20(Greek%3A%20%CE%94%CE%B5%CF%83%CF%80%CE%BF%CF%84%CE%B9%CF%83%CE%BC%CF%8C%CF%82%2C%20despotism%C3%B3s,have%20also%20been%20called%20despotic.)

Suggested reading 'Leviathan' Thomas Hobbes. Throughout the pandemic, we essentially adopted his model of government where citizens offer up all of their rights and freedoms to the state, in return for safety. (whether or not the safety part is fulfilled). One thing that governments have learnt throughout this pandemic is the enormous power that public fear can give to them, they won't forget this.

I wonder how much correlation there is regarding those supportive of the measures and not really being affected by it (i.e. only inconvenienced in a minor way) and those unsupportive and perhaps having massive problems because of it (missed career opportunities, financial issues, mental health problems etc). 

True, I can't argue that - however the number of choices revoked in Sweden was significantly less than IE (it's a question of scale).

I seem to be going in circles a bit with you, self-lockdown would have been a choice. If you were dependent on others then they could have taken extra precautions too (as would be morally correct). Covid is a selective disease (in who it harms the most) but we dealt with it in entirely unselective ways (blanket restrictions on all, banning of zero risk activities) - this is part of what makes the rules and response so despotic.

COVID is NOT selective in how its spreads.

I'm not sure anyone can fail to grasp this after so long.

Again, I have to quote myself because it seems that you don't read thoroughly Covid is a selective disease (in who it harms the most)

• Advertisement

You don't seem to understand how transmission works.

I think I am wasting my time conversing with you. Of course I understand that, don't try to patronise me. I also understand that you are not reading my posts and instead going round in circles with arguments that are not related to my points. Replying to you is optional, as far as I am concerned.

You've literally just demonstrated you don't know how COVID is/was transferred between people, or the implications of that.

You are free to think what you like, and there is no more impregnable fortress than a closed mind. How could a person who locks themselves down be at more risk than if we all are locked down? Food/medicine can be delivered without human interaction. This is, after all, how the virus spreads.

I won't be replying further because, frankly, it's pointless and a waste of my time.

Ah stop, surely you don't believe the nonsense you're posting.

You're here defending lockdown and now saying it didn't help Ireland because people didn't obey it...

You might be more comfortable living in the likes of China.

That you think delivering food and medicine is all that required shows how little experience you have of it. Thus impossible for you to have any understanding. You are limited by your limited life experiences.

It just simple logic. Just point out a flaw in logic does not mean I want to move to China. That makes no sense.

People are on this thread claiming everyone was in isolation and in lockdown. if that was 100% true it can't spread its physically impossible.

We also had loads of reports, videos, of breeches and it being ignored. High profiles ones, Golfgate, Boris and his parties.

I'll bite one last time (though I am sure I will regret it).

Virus will spread under lockdown. You need something like a third of the (workforce) population to carry on going to work (supply chain/food stores etc). Therefore, some degree of human interaction is always going to occur, and therefore, some level of spread. It is not me that doesn't understand viral transmission, it is you.

If those in charge, who created the rules, broke them - what does that tell you about the rules? HINT: It tells you everything you need to know about them.

And don't comment on my life experience, you know nothing about me. You are free to speculate, but it's purely an academic exercise for you.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

It tells me the argument we had 100% lockdown/isolation is complete bogus. Some people tried, others didn't bother.

it quite obvious you don't get the transmission and controlling spread. Its basically give up because none of it works. But that makes no sense due to the data we have where it does work. It not perfect. Should be give up because something is not perfect? Let people die because they'll die anyway, and you don't value them. Very defeatist tbh.

• Advertisement

Not at all, I appreciate that there are degrees of mitigation, it's not on/off or yes/no - there is nuance. A lack of nuance is one of the great problems in modern society.

I never said lockdown didn't work, or that I don't value lives (a false assumption on your part) - I've always argued for choice and personal responsibility (a dirty phrase these days, I appreciate). The point I was making was that it was a value judgement. But this idea that lockdown completely stops transmission is wrong, and it appears, as jacdaniel (or Fintan) said - lockdowns are not needed to exit waves of transmission (in real time cases are falling in UK/IE without lockdown). The only way lockdown could entirely stop transmission is if it is permanent and total.

I suspect there will be more waves in future (as does the Scottish Health minister). So, we need to prepare a response to those future waves that is proportionate and takes civil liberties into account.

Advertisement