Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Softening house market?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

2200 a month to rent mobile homes in donabate. Suck it up though lads. No one should have to pay any sort of tax, lpt, water charges. Unless you are one of irelands wolf of wallstreet, earning 36k a year... at that level, such comfort.50% is very reasonable

https://www.donedeal.ie/mobilehomes-for-sale/mobile-homes-for-rent-on-site-in-donabate/28816789?campaign=3

Post edited by Murph85 on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Most property in Ireland is owned out right with no mortgage. The media needs to get eyeballs. Lots of stories about property are just space fillers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I'm from Tallaght but live in Leitrim and since I've moved since 2019 house prices have gone from 90k to 200k alot of people moving down the country and commuting to work, before i moved about 8 years ago prices where down to 38k a house crazy and comparing it to dublin is just qn entirely different league

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Xidu

Do we realize that house, especially good house are luxurious, for last thousands of years it’s the same.

it’s like handbags. You have money you buy a Hermes, Chanel, LV. You don’t then buy a 20 euro backpack.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

Apologies for the assumptions.

200k or even 250k is not a huge mortgage.

200k is €780 a month on a 30 year or €895 a month on a 25 year term.

And that can be fixed.

There has to be compromise.

Ideally it would be permitted for a direct family member to build a 40sqm self contained garden space subject to conditions, but such an idea would never get approval.

I maxed my mortgage at every move I made. In a way it's saving for retirement and it took many sacrifices, but now about 7 years from retirement we've no mortgage and will trade down at some point freeing up a nice few bob.

Currently your savings are getting 0% interest, inflation is 7%, so in a way it is being eaten away.

I'd max the mortgage and get something now with a 25 year fixed rate of 2.5%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭adocholiday

I bought a 20 year old one-off 4 bed on 2 acres near Rathdrum, Wicklow in 2018 for €395k, borrowing €350k. At the time we were advised by a well meaning relative involved in property not to buy, we were at the top of the market and we'd be in negative equity very soon.

This year we did an extension and renovation costing €150k and when the bank had it revalued it was estimated to be worth €500k had we not touched the place, and €700k with the renovation complete.

Now I don't think we'd achieve €700k here if we decided to sell, I think that's wishful thinking at best, but the higher valuation gives us more equity in the house and access to better rates.

But the point ultimately is that in 2018 people involved in property thought we were at the top of the market and here we are 4 years later with prices still climbing. It's hard to really call how things will play out with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

in my experience , Estate Agents only tell you property is priced right if they are selling you a property , should you buy off someone else ,they tell you it was too expensive , I bought a two bed apartment in Limerick at auction in 2015 for 120 K , it was worth over 160 K less than eighteen months later and its worth 250 K today

a week after I bought it , I was speaking to three different auctioneers in Limerick about properties all of them had for sale ( as i was looking for more property at the time ) and I referred to what I had just bought in passing , each and every one of them remarked that " I had paid an awful lot for it "

Auctioneers come in two sizes for the most part

bullsh1tter5

clueless people

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

quote button not working , in relation to the price hike in the likes of Leitrim

I can believe that , I live in a rural area within the Galway city commuter belt and houses in many estates are up 80% in two years , Tuam ( about twenty minutes drive away ) is up at least 60% , now it was very under valued for a good sized town but thats one hell of a jump , little villages with estates are up more

This is the issue. Too many people get overly concerned about the headline price and what it might be worth in 3, 5, 10 years.

Then those who listen too much to negativity spend another 20k a year on rent.

Then the market starts dropping and they wait again and spend another 20k a year on rent.

Then they finally buy, but the repayment at the then current mortgage rates means their monthly payments are similar to when prices were higher.

So I'll repeat again. Anyone who is on a variable rate or even a tracker rate of 1.5% or higher or is on a short term fix, I would be on to an Avant broker tomorrow looking to take their 2.5% fixed for 20, 25 or 30 years.

This country has never seen such certainty at such a low price ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭sk8board

We just fixed with AIB for 2.35% over 5 years.

just to put a figure on the comment above about ‘a lot of houses having no mortgage’, there are 735k mortgages outstanding according to the CB, and I believe there are about 1.75m residential addresses in the country - so 42% of all properties have a mortgage outstanding.

there are 88k BTL mortgages, with 10% still in arrears.

Needless to say, there’s a lot of PPR mortgages that are actually rented houses - no one I’m aware of called up their bank looking for their tracker to be moved to a 4.8% BTL 😏.

https://www.centralbank.ie/docs/default-source/statistics/data-and-analysis/credit-and-banking-statistics/mortgage-arrears/2021q4_ie_mortgage_arrears_statistics.pdf?sfvrsn=7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭sk8board

Saw that earlier - the headline had more bark than the article has bite. It basically says that prices are high now, but not in the same way as other places and any drops would be “moderate”.

you can tell they were only dying to use those 2 words “soft landing” 😏

So true. But prices are lofty at the moment. I also noticed no time frame. We all know prices will drop and rise again

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The going rate for a newly qualified accountant (who should be in their mid twenties really) is 60k. No accountant is on 40k 8 years into their career unless they have zero qualifications

Oh and constantly quoting the national average salary is a bit meaningless considering:

It would be higher in Dublin versus nationally

Average includes part time workers

Its not particularly difficult to find a career in Dublin that pays over 40k 8 years in..

• Administrators Posts: 53,749 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but 40k is very low and is absolutely not "quite high" for someone in their early 30s (presumably with at least 5 or 6 years experience behind them) who is professionally qualified in any semi-useful field.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Yeah absolutely - 8 years would suggest 4/5 years pqe so they should be looking at 75+ realistically with many being touching 90 even if still in standard roles.

The smarter people with 10 plus years left on a mortgage would be fixing for 10 plus years.

This statistic illustrates the home ownership rate among the total population of Ireland between 2007 and 2019. During that timeframe, the home ownership rate oscillated between approximately 69 to 78 percent of the total population.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/543383/house-owners-among-population-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭therapist3

The CB rules can't be circumvented, what's happening is we've settled into the upper range of affordability. The jump was compensatory because of the lockdowns and accrued savings.

Without a radical altering of the CB rules prices will remain as they are and track pay increases.

Rents will rise, this will encourage new construction biased towards rental units, that then will encourage new housing developments but everything will remain elevated

We did it to ourselves again, stabbed the trades in the back during the hard years, ran them out of the country, built no real social, affordable, subsidised etc units and you get what you have today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭therapist3

Eh you're over egging the pudding there

Take 20k off, maybe if in the thieving big four otherwise nope

Edit for a reference

56k, updated on Saturday 😎

https://www.glassdoor.ie/Salaries/dublin-accountant-salary-SRCH_IL.0,6_IM1052_KO7,17.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

One thing i have noticed is that its the people who decide to wait for a crash to come to buy a house invariably end up worse off than the people who bought as soon could buy something to get out of renting. Even my friends who bought even a 1 bed apartment or a studio in 2006 and 2007 are delighted they did now. At least they hgave been out of the rent trap since then and also they have a huge dent in their mortgage. Anyone like myself, who waited, is still waiting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

You keep bringing this up, but it seems like you are just describing your own situation. You need to be able to decide when things turn from positive to negative and vice versa. It is always easiest to see a trend continue but to take advantage you need to know what indicators would make you change your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,240 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Wow. Not sure what to make of that. They might be happier now but I know of a few couple who bought 1/2 bed apartments at the height of the Tiger and were left with savage negative equity for a good ten years during and after the bust. They had to put family plans on the long finger and were generally miserable.

I keep bringing it up because it is a fact.

Its not about trends, its about stability. There is no stability in renting. Even rent controls, an attempt to bring stability to the market have actually introduced more instability. Far more than would ever have been there had there been no rent controls. More rent controls bring even more instability. Then it bleeds into sales.

No matter which way the market turns, positive or negative you are better off buying than renting.

Time is your friend with a mortgage. Time is not your friend if you rent.

Ask anyone who bought just before the last crash and ask them are they glad they did now. Anyone.

And now it has been established also that if you buy now and fall on hard times your house will not be repossessed unless you let it be repossessed willingly. As long as you make some sort of effort to pay something each month you can live there as long as you want. So once you are in your house you are in a far better position than renting.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭B2021M

But those who bought in 2006 or 2007 could have bought for over 50% less in the following years. So they would have been significantly better off in that scenario.

If they had a crystal ball at the time sure. But as now, at any point in time you just do not know whats ahead. So even though those people who bought just befroe the crash thought they had done the wrong thing for years, they actually didnt when they look back now.

Likewise anyone who could have but didnt buy in 2015 and waited til now, is probably sorry they didnt, but as long as you can get out of the rent trap now, you are winning.

The only losing game is renting.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭B2021M

I see your point but in that case they did do the wrong thing. I don't fully agree that you needed a crystal ball to know there was trouble ahead in 2007.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

The market was softening in 2007 anyway. But in September 2007 we had the run on Northern rock. At that point it was clear that things were not going well. I went travelling at around that time (I had finished up a contract) and remember being worried about the situation. Bear Stearns collapsed in March 2008, at this point I was so worried about the state of the economy that I came back home to find a job. Finally Lehman Brothers collapsed in September 2008 at that point if you were not worried about what was happening then you must have been asleep.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement