Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Softening house market?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

So, if I understand correctly, you were in a position to buy in the bubble but chose not to. You were waiting for the crash, which happened, but didn't buy then for some reason. After 9 years of price growth you have now converted over to "buy at any price". Would that about sum it up?

Do you not think you might be better off looking for advice rather than giving it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭DataDude

They might not feel too horrendous when comparing themselves with those who rented for 15 years and are now facing the toughest time to buy in history.

But if they compare themselves to others (the vast majority as not many people rented for 15 years in the past) who didn't buy in 07, but rented for a few more years and bought at any stage between 2009 - 2016 then they'll see they're many hundred thousand euro worse off for their decision. I.e. life altering sums of money. Work until they're 70 to pay off their huge mortgage vs retired at 50 levels of difference.

Saying "at least I'm not much worse off than todays buyers" - the most screwed cohort of all time wouldn't bring me much solace personally. But I guess if it does make them slightly less depressed then good for them!

Post edited by DataDude on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Everyone seems to have known now that trouble was ahead :)

The reason I dont believe anyone who says that is that they arent telling me that from their mansion in the caribbean :)

I was working in Stearns. We were in the same building as Northern Rock. That was a crazy few days. Coming out the front door and people shouting at you and tv cameras pointing in your face beacuse they thought you worked at NR. At that point it was far too late to be worrying.

Lots of people waited until the crash and bought just as things turned. It wouldn't be enough to retire to the Caribbean, but certainly saved quite a lot. I bought a house in SCD in 2013 for 450k that had been on the market for 1.1m in the boom.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,749 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If you were lucky enough to be able to buy in ~2012 then more power to you. But most people weren't in this position, and it's easy to suggest in hindsight that if people had just waited they'd have been laughing.

It is never that straightforward. When markets crash there is collateral damage, and many people waiting for a bargain will end up being that collateral damage.

No but if you were somehow smarter than 99% of the worlds surely you would have made a lot of money if you knew there was a crash vcoming and everyone else didnt.

I think what you meant to say was thaty like everyone else you thought there could be a crash sometime but it was just a feeling and that after it happened you indeed predicted it. Its a common thought process. People have it all the time. Every year in fact. Some posters have it every month.

There was a 1 year period from NR to lehman brothers (Sep 2008) where it was becoming increasingly clear that things were going very badly. I mean if you were working in the industry you must have been aware of what was going on. I assume if you were not, you work in some support area or something like that.

On the upturn, all I did was read the propertypin regularly, I noticed the sentiment changing at some point in 2012 (people who were bears starting buying, increased numbers at open viewings etc). At that point you have to make a choice, you know it might be wrong, but you just accept that and buy. There was still a fair bit of uncertainty in 2012 about the general economy. I didn't think there would be increases in the coming years. I thought it was laughable when some government minister said property prices are like a ping pong ball being held underwater. Turns out he knew a bit more than me.

In 2022 indicators for the market have turned negative, but not extremely negative like we had in 2007/2008. So, there is a lot more uncertainty now. I am glad I don't have to make the leap. I would guess a drop of 20% or so over the next 3 years has a reasonable probability of happening. So, if you can deal with that potential downside, it might make sense to buy if you can.

• Advertisement

If you want to take advantage of any crash you need to work in an area unrelated to the general Irish economy.

Or be cash rich.

If you're someone who is on the edge of being able to afford to buy right now, and are thinking that a crash will make a load of houses suddenly affordable for you, this is not necessarily going to be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

No crash in house prices coming anytime soon.

Hopefully acceleration of price increases slows bases on increased interest rates.

In my town of 15k people there are currently 2 houses on daft for rent with 24 for sale.

Supply is still dreadful, until that changes prices won't drop.

I get the point you are making here, but I didn't predict it, what I did was basically "trend following".

In the event of a crash, there will be very little available to buy given that in Ireland home loans are basically unsecured. I don't think there will be a crash like last time as it is not credit driven. I think we will see a normal type recession next year. This will impact peoples ability to buy and probably have an effect on prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

My take on this

If you are investing in property you need to fully understand the market and risks.

If you are buying a home, it’s totally different it’s all down to your personal circumstances and affordability / job security

Where do you live now, are you happy with it is it secure.

Where do you want to live, are kids involved or soon to be involved

What are you, are you willing to rent for longer in the hope of getting a better or cheaper house in 5 to 10 years time

Do you have a deposit now or will soon have one.

Are you able to lock in your interest rate and duration so that it is affordable.

What if you lose your job.

If you buy now you are buying at high price but it could still go up more, if you wait you might need a larger deposit and you might be paying a much higher interest rate.  If prices fall but you saving remain the same, your % deposit grows still you could be looking at needing a 20% deposit.

Basically we bought in 2012, very close the bottom mostly by good luck, we were renting a nice apartment but wanted to start a family. Times were bad, banks wanted a 20% deposit due to falling prices, nothing to do with C.Bank rules.  The longest mortgage we could get was 27 years due to my age. We went from paying 1300 to a little under with interest relief on top. But our costs went up, twins!

I know one couple who sold in 2007 made a killing but never got back into the market they are still renting – and are basically f-ed 

"I know one couple who sold in 2007 made a killing but never got back into the market they are still renting – and are basically f-ed"

I really don't get this. At worst, if they stayed in cash, the money they received would buy the same house again now. If it was an expensive house it'd still only cost 75% of what they sold for. Assuming they were at least some what astute and invested their equity they'd have quadrupled their money to now.

Rent for the vast majority of that period would have been well below the equivalent interest on the same house for at least 10 of the 15 years. So they'd have had a lower cost of living for most of the period (not in past few years when rents exploded), an opportunity to 4x or more their money, and can now buy the same asset back for the same or less.

Only issue would be access to credit if they're older now - but I assume if they bought well before 2007 and then sold in 2007. They would have had a very low mortgage anyway so not a major factor.

Could have lost their jobs I guess or had big chances in circumstances and had to start living off that money.

Fair point! Keeping house probably wouldn’t have helped too much there though unless they just stiffed the bank. Otherwise they’d likely have a fairly monumental mortgage still left.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Waiting on a final loan offer from ICS and their rates went up 1% today (so another 250/300 euro per month), I guess others will follow suit and perhaps that will slow house prices. But ouch for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Id say 100% it will put the brakes on house prices. Not many people will be able to stump up that extra cash per month and bid 100k over asking...

The Banks are probably a little nervous now seeing what's happening with house prices in NZ and Canada, and soon to be US and Australia. ECB is behind the curve but it will get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,240 ✭✭✭Gusser09

It'll help slow prices but I think houses will keep their current values. Less buyers means less supply which is the main drivers behind inflated prices.

Yes, don't see a crash at all. Forget about 40-50% decreases in prices.

Even 10% won't happen I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I think you're correct there. I would suggest that the ECB will start raising interest rates at some point towards the 2nd half of this year, if not earlier..... This means, money, or lending money will no longer be that cheap and will increasingly "get a price". This will certainly dampen the house buying mood in Ireland, as the full financed amount will naturally increase as the interest rate goes up.

In the end house prices will go down, or gradually go down, but the cost of financing them will go up. For the first time buyer not much will change.

However this will not solve the supply and demand issue, or create a more relaxed rental market. This can only be solved by offering more supply and this will take a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

If banks are predicting a 15% drop, then that means they'll drop at least 30%

Given New Zealand’s inflation is running at nearly 6% annually, Westpac’s forecast implies a peak-to-trough decline in real house prices of around 25%.

What's very strange is that New Zealand has gone from having such a supply shortage such that house prices rose by almost 30% in one year just 6 months ago.....to seemingly having too much supply? This despite borders now opened again to foreigners.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I think from the ICS website that the variable rate is actually cheaper than the 3 year fixed. That's not a good sign.

Apparently, rates are going to go up in July. Will be shocked if the ECB doesn't move considering they are so late already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

It's ok though. Great value for money 100km's away from Dublin for the workers to commute 3 hours a day :)

• Advertisement

The supply issue is a different animal. It's driven by skills shortages and material prices. If anything a credit crunch could make things worse in my opinion. The supply issue will temporarily keep house prices artificially high. You can't compare Ireland with NZ.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement