Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intermediate Scratch Cup

Options
  • 08-05-2022 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

I ended up booking the intermediate scratch cup in Tralee from seeing it on the Junior Scratch Cup thread. Thought it might be useful to have one specifically for intermediate.

A few that i am aware of..

Fota - July 29th & 30th, €50

Bantry Bay - July 9/10, €25

Open singles for some of the bigger courses that are usually difficult / expensive to play would be interesting too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

How did you find tralee?

Played in it myself. Cracking track and even with plenty of talk from the starter about slow play and to play provisionals it was crazy slow for 3 balls, 5 hours long but thankfully the course is such a delight to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

Ah here, 5 hours? That’s soul destroying. Especially in a stroke competition. No matter how good a course is, 5 hours would drain the life and soul from me.

How did you play as a matter of interest? 5 hours means you were waiting on literally every shot, I’d rather walk in and not return a card than deal with that. It happened me last year, played an open singles on a really nice course and I was looking forward to it for weeks. Took me an hour to get to the course. Then it took 2 hours to play 5 holes so I packed it in. I dropped into the pro shop on my way out and to be fair the chap was embarrassed but couldn’t do anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭IHateNewShoes

Loved Tralee. We were around in approx 4 hours 40. We were in a 3 ball, behind a 2 ball. Felt like we played quite quick, had to wait a while on 2 tee box and on maybe 3 or 4 other shots only. It’s a long walk, approx 16,000 steps so was happy enough with the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

We were a 2 ball. Our third had to pull out and we couldn't get a replacement. My partner and I hadn't seen each other in a while so we had plenty to catch up on. Played well 82 gross off 12 with 4 doubles really hurt and cost me my best ever round strokeplay.

79 won

80 second and third

81 fourth.

Post edited by rickis tache on

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Deporhostia

I played at Tralee and Ballybunion yesterday.

Tralee was great, but yeah 5 hour round. We were last out so you expect it. We were actually a 4 ball because of a booking error, and we were still waiting on every shot, every tee, sometimes there were 3 groups on the tee.

in their wisdom they scheduled an inter club foresomes comp behind us as well poor girls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 dosulli8

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

Yeah same as, 5 hour round. There seemed to be a bottleneck on the 8th tee I think it was (after the par 3). 2 groups waiting when we walked around to the tee. Still, a lovely course to play!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭slingerz

What were the tee time intervals there? That slow a round is horrendous

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Long courses, stroke play, visitors not used to layout, provisional balls, searching etc, those round lengths not outrageous, I’ve played both in casual rounds and they were 4hrs+

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

A slow 4ball for me is 4 hours 30 mins max.

5 hours for a 3ball is ridiculous regardless of the format. There’s zero enjoyment in that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Baltray should be putting up the dates for their scratch cups soon, usually july/June and always a great day.

I'd be expecting at least 4.5hrs on a big course that's full especially a stroke play event. Generally everyone has a bad hole and you have the odd one that's having a nightmare day that will drag it out.

My last second outing in baltray was 3hrs 45 minutes as a two ball in a congested course but I don't expect to manage it again, sheer luck I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭IHateNewShoes

Killarney on Kileens 28th of May.

Rosslare Golf Club have their intermediate scratch on this Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Dbu

As a matter of interest, what were the handicaps allowed for each of the events. Is it worked out on handicap index of playing handicap on the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Scratch cups are always your Handicap Index the day-of

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

and the limits change by region/county/club and maybe more

Advertisement