Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,586 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Probably true.

What would you really miss if you didn't have it?

Some might pay to have Late Late Show, LiveLine, etc, but there isn't much there to make you cough up a tenner every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

First item on the agenda is to decide what sort of Public Broadcasting Service we want.

By the way, you can listen to Liveline and in fact all of the radio stations in Ireland for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭RoTelly

So what Public Broadcasting Service do we want?

People would pay for RTÉ SPORTS IMO, it would be interesting to see how RTÉ NEWS would survive.

But none of the current parties sitting the Dail have ever suggested dropping the licence fee, they are all in favour of swapping the licence fee with a new fee/charge/tax ... before working out what kind of Public Broadcasting Service we want!!!

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Free? That depends on how you value your time. The business model is as part of the deal a listener must also give up their time and head space to advertisers and other promotional activity the broadcasting enterprise engages in. The station must carve out a captive audience for itself. If say you just only want the weather forecast (or death notices) and radio is your only means to get that information, you must wait for it, paying attention all the while. Radio stations are competing with smart phone apps, podcasts and information services.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

What I mean is free at point of use.

No licence, no subscription, no wi-fi or phone deal to pay for.

Just buy a cheap radio in Tesco or suchlike and off you go.

After that it's your choice to listen or not.

• Advertisement

That is the question that dominates so many of these discussions.

Sports for sure, maybe a bit of drama, a documentary or two, some investigative journalism.

Presuming news includes current affairs, etc. etc.

Really the sky or the budget is the limit.

We really need to put a lot of thought into it.

We really do imagine if for example we kept the funding to RTÉ as it currently stands, would it be expectable for you if RTÉ continued they way they are into the future, would this be the public/the minister/the legislators saying we are happy how things are?

______

Yesterday

Announced today

A new €10.5m BAI fund for TV/Radio will support

climate change awareness - €5million

Irish language broadcasting - €2m

live music productions - €2m

and €1.5 for general Sound and Vision production schemes.

Sound and Vision currently gets 7% from the license fee. c €10.5

The Broadcasting Authority now has €20m for productions.

I'd question how the minister can define this as part of the SandV fund as the Broadcasting Act has stipulations on how that fund can be spent.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Theres a new scam with the TV licence.

Its now addressed to the person, not the address.

It makes it much harder to avoid paying.

The TV licence looks different, has a PIN you need to input.

Where are they getting the owners name? I had 3 notices sent to me, which I sent RTS/No longer at address, the final one to The Occupier, after 3 eventually got it right. No PIN on the letter, is this after you bought the licence?

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Yes, after I bought the licence, had my name.

I've decided to go rogue next year... TV going in a skip, getting a projector, using web based feed.

I'm not sure what you are getting at but I think it makes sense to continue funding RTE until whatever plan we come up with is in place.

If that goes on for too long I suppose it will be the old "kicking the can etc." syndrome.

You might get a bit of money for that TV or maybe gift it to someone.

If not you might consider taking it to a municipal recycling centre where they will take it with no charge.

And they are not kicking the can down the road? The government have numerous reports on RTÉ. The BAI recently commissioned on from Mediatech (or some such london based organisation), the Commission on the Future of Media has yet to have its report released, the Oireachtas Committee have a full report that is published, in 2002 there was the Snoddy commission etc etc etc.

But lets say after all these reports and all is said and done and it was agreed that RTÉ would get no extra funding, would you be happy with RTÉ to continue as they are? I am not removing funding.

For example are you happy that Dee Forbes said that it cost €3m per episode to produce Normal People, but never mention similar type programme e.g Can't Cope Won't Cope that only cost €150,000.

Are you happy that RTÉ said they wouldn't cut funding to children's content but cut it by 75% with in 2 years of saying that?

Are you happy they cut funding to Lyric FM but increased funding to 2fm?

Do you think RTÉ management were right?

______

Yesterday

You've already paid for the recycling of the electrical goods, that is attached to the cost of the product, it is NOT FREE.

https://www.epa.ie/our-services/compliance--enforcement/waste/weee/

When you buy certain new EEE products, you must pay a small additional charge called a ‘visible Environmental Management Cost’ or vEMC. This is used to pay for the recycling of the product when it eventually becomes waste - WEEE. The vEMC applies to products such as fridges, TV’s and certain types light bulbs. The amount that you must pay depends on the type and size of the product. There is no vEMC for batteries.  

______

Yesterday

It's like deja vu all over again.

We have covered this ground before.

I support the concept of a Public Broadcasting Service and think it should be funded by direct exchequer transfer.

I just wish the government would wake up and get on with it.

That would make me happy.

I didn't say it was FREE, I said there was no charge at the recycling centre.

And it seems as stakeholders "drag their feet" we will continue to be in groundhog day.

I support licence fee also, but I don't support RTÉ (as an organisation), its board or its management. I have no faith in them to reform following the reform of the licence fee.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Tragically the age of public service broadcasting is at its end; the RTE license is a complete waste of your money. If this smells to you like a conspiracy theory then you, and your children, are in for interesting times ahead. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

It's always worth a refresh of the 'secret producer's' work exposing what a shambles RTE actually is.

So apparently the only question that we should be asking is: What's the best to pay for this?

They seem to want direct exchequer funding so they can keep shoving 10's of millions down the toilet, it's just that you won't be thinking about it as much.

Hey Dee, how about you get the top 10 earners figures out there....cheers Babes.

• Advertisement

When Dee Forbes started there was an exudos at the top of RTÉ and a rush to get a new exe board.

Head of News exited

Head of TV exited

Head of Commercial Enterprise exited

CFO retired just last year

HR manager made Director

Head of RTÉ one and 2 made Director but now Marketing and Audience

while Head of Radio became Head of Content (but I imagine that he's nomially TV with the Director of Marketing and Audiences being head of TV content)

anyway in all of this a new role was created Director of Operations and Production Services, and given to someone with little to no broadcasting experience, she left in pretty much after taking up the role...

Now a report shows that she was involved in some property firm around that time, I wonder did she exit due to this?

All of this has just resulted in jobs for the Girls rather than jobs for the Boys. I see no difference.

______

Yesterday

Also a lot just asking that RTÉ provide the minimum, News and Sport.

For the last decade or more RTÉ have being moving in this direction with the exception of Radio.

RTÉ's strategy seems to be to move content as much as possible to other funders and co-pros. You have the situation where Entertainment takes up 50% of their total independent commissions fund (€20m of about €40), while the other areas of content have seen their funding reduce with the exception of Irish Language programming, largely due to commitments put on RTÉ, but I can see them working with BBC Geailge as time goes on.

50% of all independent production's funding comes from other sources such as 481, Screen Ireland and co-productions. This brings the funding to around €80m. Indeed soon Drama will just be co-pros and imported Irish produced dramas, actually with the exception of Fair City I don't think RTÉ alone funds any Drama on their own and almost all Dramas are give very little from RTÉ.

I can actually see RTÉ's "IPU/Commissioning Department" moving over to the BAI, with funding coming from the exchequer and eventually no requirement for RTÉ to have any independent productions.

They'll then start the push to move RnaG over to TG4, while RTÉ will press to move RTÉ CO over to the NCH along with its sister orchestra the NSO. Again all funding coming from the exchequer, and sure stick Lyric FM on to that also.

RTÉ is then left with just News, Sport and Radio 1 and 2fm (who needs those pesky digital services really). And RTÉ will happily live alone in Montrose with no one to pander to.

Post edited by RoTelly on

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

I am a bit unclear how such high level executives could make a decision like this. Its lucky that the union noticed and brought it to their attention before it progressed too far or they may have accidentally strayed into the relm of cronyism making up well paying positions for their friends to fill in a sneaky and underhanded manner! Phew!

It is of concern to me that this is the type of stunt that gets pulled when money is said to be tight - who is to say things wouldn't get worse in this regard if there was more money to throw around. I certainly don't think practices and culture would improve. Sure its all taxpayers money at the end of day as they say.

The type of public broadcasting I would like to see is one free of cronyism and vested interests and with open and transparent governance and editorial practices. I don't think that's too much to ask.

While I believe there are some hard working staff who have some integrity at rte I think that it's current practices and attitudes are irreconcilable with the notions of value for public money and best practices.

While what constitutes "value for money" in terms of public service broadcasting output is subjective I think that everybody, regardless of personal tastes, can agree that cronyism is not good value for money. Apart, of course, from those who gain from said cronyism. I'm sure they would be very supportive of it.

^^^

They simply failed to ensure that NK Talent Management weren’t hired as the recruitment consultant. 😀

My experience is that such agencies charge 33% of a years salary as the fee. Plus, in this case, they’d be getting a regular slice of the talent’s salary. Win - win. For them, anyway

Staff assistant executive director for content, wouldn't think that they would not have an agent as they are not on screen "talent".

I'd also point out that RTÉ had made up the position of "Director of Operations and Production Services" for an external appointment with no open competition.

______

Yesterday

My contribution was, in the main, supposed to be ironic….. you’re right, of course.

The whole thing still stinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

RTE doing a musical about the Toy Show. Will be part funded by licence fees. PSB my arse.

So you won't be paying 80+ euro for you and your family to go?

@political analyst am I right to say that there was no 9 news on Saturday night due to Eurovision?

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 82,514 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes I really can't understand it, does their mandate permit them to engage in a fully commercial enterprise like this? Does BBC have fee paying musicals? Surely such a move would require ministerial approval.

• Advertisement

No AFAIK RTÉ are allowed to utilize their brands as they see fit. I assume that the brand has been franchised out, much like the PJ's in Pennys.

______

Yesterday

Advertisement