Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is VAT or duty payable on imports from the UK?

Options
  • 12-05-2022 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭

I want to buy shelving from a UK based company. I am buying it privately, not as a company or for business use. It's for my home.

I am being charged VAT at source at 23%.

Will I incur any additional Irish VAT or import duty?

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,009 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Potentially both, but duty is rare - generally only on items that were imported from outside the EU to the UK in the first place; and which actually have duty charged.

That 23% would suggest they are charging you Irish VAT (the UK rate is 20%). You need documentation to show this.

If they are charging you UK VAT, you will not get that back and it doesn't count towards Irish VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Some large companies like Amazon etc are charging Irish VAT rates etc at point of sale. In these cases, any VAT/ Duties are handled between the company and the state here, so no collection of additional fees. But others & ones that wouldn't send much to Ireland, will export from UK at what should be 0% VAT. The delivery company/ courier/ An Post then contact you when they arrive here and you must pay any Irish VAT/ duty etc., before they'll deliver.

Sounds like your supplier is handling the paperwork and charging at point of sale, but check with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Thanks.

When I saw the 23% on the quote, I thought it might be the case that they have some sort of arrangement with Irish revenue.

Will check with them, but just wanted to ask what others here might have experienced.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

if theyre charging the vat then chances are they are looking after the import

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Yes, that's what they told me.

They said they would deal with any issues, but they're not expecting any.

Will know in a couple of weeks.

Thanks.

D.

• Advertisement
Advertisement