Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Bus Network Changes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

"For information, a small number of changes have been made to this scheme following consideration of the submissions received during the third round of public consultation (at the end of 2020) and these are summarised below.

The Scheme is extended to include signalised junction of Nutley Lane and R138 Stillorgan Road;

A proposed ‘cul-de-sac’ at George’s Avenue (south) to motorised vehicles, allowing only authorised vehicles (such as emergency and refuse vehicles) to pass through;

The introduction of a new accessible ramp from the McCartney (Baggot) Bridge footpath to the existing walkway alongside the Grand Canal;

Offline traffic management strategy prepared to offset diversions due to online measures;

A number of Junction, Crossing and Parking Modifications including additional disabled spaces; Layouts of all bus stops enhanced and some bus stop locations and layouts have been optimised to allow better connectivity for bus passengers;

Landscaping updated throughout; and

Cycle facilities optimised throughout including improvements to tie-ins on side roads."

• Registered Users Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Nothing can start for any corridor until:

1) Planning permission is granted by ABP and that has not been applied for yet

2) Government again formally approves the expenditure post planning approval

That corridor is probably one of ones most likely to legal objections so it’s frankly impossible to answer your query.

When it happens is the most honest answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,445 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

So many bus routes dependant on that corridor.

Honestly can’t see how they get it over the line but perhaps I’m being pessimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I had a look at the drawings to the Rock Road corridor today. I am largely happy with the changes being made to it. However; I'm bit disappointed to see a little change being made to a proposed bus stop at St. Vincent's Park on Temple Hill in Blackrock. There's a proposed bus stop just located after the traffic lights which was meant to put in before the lights at that location.

Let's say if people living along the S8 route wanted to take another bus out to Blackrock or further out along the CBC maybe out Blackrock College or to St Vincent's Hospital. They would have to make a small compromise in their journey by walking down from a bus stop at Montpellier Manor down to Temple Hill to get another bus along that corridor.

If they cannot use the 114 to Blackrock by trying to avoid that situation if it was scrapped. They would have no choice to use the journeys like this as the talk of compromises have been put into the conversation when Jarret Walker was talking about making them when this plan was 1st launched a few years ago.

That talk of potential compromise has also been put into 3 proposed coach bays that have put in at the Rock Road junction near Mount Merrion Avenue, the Willow Park School entrance at Booterstown & St Vincent's Hospital in Elm Park.

Ironically those locations are currently being used as bus stops for both Dublin Bus & Aircoach. I just want to ask people here did Aircoach make any formal submissions to the NTA to include these 3 coach bays along this corridor or will they be used as layover stops for other private hire coach operators.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

I can't see how these tighter junctions make it better for buses as buses need as much as space as they can to menoeuvre left turns.

Once again, these designs are guided by 2 manuals, the DMURS (Design Manual for Urban Roads and Streets) and the NCM (National Cycle Manual) which punish buses and trucks in the process of punishing cars.

This is especially applicable to articulated trucks which use the affected roads many times daily.

These design methodologies are just bringing the function of each junction from one extreme to another with no middle ground. The road planners these days seem to want junction radii as near to 90° as possible regardless of the resultant constraints which is very simple minded.

The left turn from the Rock Road to Merion Avenue on its north-westerly trajectory has been tightened enough without the elimination of even more turning space.

I've always thought these reverse engineering projects are designed to make it safer for non observant pedestrians and/or cyclists. In other words, I see the NCM and DMURS as "The Complete Idiots Guide to Road Engineering".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Ha, largest investment in bus public transport in history of the state is "punishing" buses.

The stop line for traffic on Mount Merrion Avenue in the plan is retreated significantly, and the island in the middle of the road removed, which gives more than enough room for buses making that turn - it really is not "punishing" buses.

N4 and N6 are to launch on 29 May, both being high frequency routes.

The 17a and 31d will both cease operating from that date.

N4 will operate from Blanchardstown SC to North Docklands, adjacent to the 3 Arena.

N6 will operate from Finglas to Howth Junction only (existing 17a terminus) and not link into the Howth Road routes after all.

Full information here: https://www.transportforireland.ie/northern-orbitals/

N4 timetable: https://www.transportforireland.ie/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/N4-Timetable.pdf

N6 timetables are here: https://www.transportforireland.ie/wp-content/uploads/2022/05/N6-Timetable.pdf

While the routes are a welcome addition and the increased operating hours and frequency is great to see, the N6 will finish earlier than the 17a at 23:20 in both directions, which isn't a positive change.

Last buses on the N6 will be 10-15 minutes earlier from Howth Junction than the current 17a times and 27 minutes earlier from Finglas. That's a ludicrous change.

Edited for timetable links

Post edited by LXFlyer on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

There's actually a way to download the new timetables if you use the interactive map for both the N4 & N6 route.

It also says within the FAQ's section that the G-Spine & Western Orbitals will begin in later 2022. That bit about the Western Orbitals to start this year is wrong isn't it? They are not supposed to begin until March of next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭DaBluBoi

Tbh I’m not really surprised the N6 is keeping the terminus at Howth junction. It wouldve been very tricky to create a turn-around point at Kilbarrack, though it is kinda dissapointing

What I AM surprised at is no mention of the 70d or 42d being cancelled. I wouldve thought with the N4 serving DCU with a weekdays peak of every 10 mins that they would get withdrawn, considering the vastly improved connections it gives between North Dublin and DCU, but no. They’ll still continue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Does seem daft alright having the last departure so early. They should get rid some of the parking outside the DART station and have the terminus right outside the DART Station where the buses turnaround.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭TranslatorPS

It wouldn't surprise me if the only reason why 23.20 is the last departure on the N6 is because it just finishes neatly off the frequency (especially on Saturdays with the constant f-15 from 18.50), rather than creating a bigger gap for a 23.30 service. On the other hand, they could've done a 23.35 just as well, and then a 23.10+23.30 on Sundays to flow with the f-20 there.

The 17A Kilbarrack terminus remaining is a disappointment, it's now the third route to not be implemented exactly as per the released network (H1 short of Clongriffin, C2 around Adamstown, and now the N6) - however, at the same time all of these can be blamed on the lack of suitable roads or termini to offer the proposed service.

Go-Ahead's N6 is available on bustimes.org already >> https://bustimes.org/services/n6

EDIT: As far as I can tell, there would be around 17 buses on the N6 in the afternoon peak. The actual number of buses needed would depend on the driver break arrangement: if they're going to pull in somewhere off the route, more buses will be needed. I know the N4 PVR is 24.

What thoroughly annoys me is the farce of publishing terminus departures only. For crying out loud, the NTA has to print individual stop timetables anyway to install them, why on earth can they not publish them online just as well - without having to go through a bloody journey planner?! I absolutely abhor detest having to go through journey planners or full tables (the likes of bustimes.org) to obtain intermediate timings. Is it too much to ask for the bleeding PDFs if they're not going to create a proper PHP or HTML-based webpage or whatever?

Post edited by TranslatorPS on

Glad to see the N4 come into existence and especially the 24hr level.

The N6 is a downgrade of the 17a, let’s be honest. The timetable is poor and the reluctance to upgrade the route by extending the Kilbarrack terminus is really poor (there are solutions to be found if the want was there to continue it to the coast road). It’s also a route that will always suffer with the hospital detour in Beaumont in and out the same road.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

It's definitely an upgrade on the 17A. Let's be realistic.

Being honest the N6 timetable is not poor, except for the last departures, which should be at least 40 minutes later.

Beaumont Hospital is a major traffic generator along the route and as a PSO service it's right that it's served.

I think Charlestown SC would be a better terminus than Finglas Village

Then the routes wouldn’t intersect, and that’s important.

My bad sorry didn't realise it already passed it anyway. I thought the routing was the same as the 17a until Finglas.

Post edited by mikeybhoy on

The timetable is poor

The N6 timetable is literally 200% of the current Monday-Friday interpeak and Saturday daytime service on the 17A, and that applies to the N4 as well. Literally the only problem with it is the last N6 being 10-15 minutes earlier than in the current 17A timetable, so aside from adding a 23.35 and MAYBE a 23.50 departure both ways I don't even see how anything can be improved on that front.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭bikeman1

With the N4 being operated by Dublin Bus. Where are the extra buses and drivers coming from to operate this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭DaBluBoi

Dublin Bus did have a mass recruitment programme prior to this announcement. Perhaps that’s where the extra drivers will come from

As for buses, there are rumors that a bunch of EVs are to be reactivated. Its also worth noting that Conyngham are yet to receive PA232-245 as of now, so when they get delivered I can imagine a bunch of SGs cascading to Harristown

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭AngryLips

I'm surprised that the 104 is not being discontinued as a result of the N4. I had assumed that the N4 is essentially a replacement for this route.

The N4 only covers the Killester-DCU direct part of the 104.

It doesn’t cover the eastern section for which route 8 is the replacement for the 104. The 104 cannot be withdrawn until the 8 starts in 2023 (alongside the D-Spine) as that would leave CRC without a bus service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Can anyone please point me to a reasonably updated timetable for the remainder of the roll-out for BusConnects?

May 22 - N4 & N6

Aug 22 - G Spine

Nov 22 - S orbitals

2023 - Inner orbitals, western orbitals, F-Spine, E-Spine and D-Spine

2024 - A-Spine, B-Spine, Ranelagh radials and N8

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭thomasj

B-spine in 2024 as well

Go-Ahead have published their N6 timetable with selected intermediate points >> https://images-goaheadireland.passenger-website.com/downloads/Route%20N6.pdf >> as part of a larger press release, which tbh isn't that different from the TfI one >> https://www.goaheadireland.ie/bus-connects-phase-3

(For those interested as to why these stops are chosen as the intermediate points in GAI's timetables, they are the [reference] timing points as found on drivers' duty cards.)

EDIT: Going through bustimes.org it would appear that there will be new stops going in with the N6: for example, I spy a pair of stops 7828/7829 on Balbutcher Lane just before Ballymun Road, to provide a set with the Civic Centre stops on Ballymun Road itself. 7847/7848 will be the new stops on Swords Road between Santry Avenue and Coolock Lane, with stop 991 (last eastbound on Santry Ave) going out of service instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭thomasj

I was looking at the booklet for the upcoming N4/N6 from TfI and I did notice that , while the frequencies table did show the N6 finishing in the 11pm hour Monday -friday , it did show them running every 15 minutes after midnight on a Saturday , and every 30 minutes around the midnight hour on Sunday.

I wonder was that a typo, or did the original plans change?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭madnessnmayhem

N6 isn't 24 hours, only N4

Advertisement