Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** ALL ** Passport Queries take.two. **! Mod-note in post#1288

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Baker123

Yes. Seems though it is impossible to get an appointment for a fast track British passport. Thought opting for Irish ones would be the safer option!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭coco0981

I'm about to submit an application for my own passport and 3 first time passports for my kids

Does anyone know if you put all these together in one envelope as they all have separate postal labels with individual application numbers? If you can then how do people get around this as I only have one original birth cert which is needed for all 4 applications?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

All within Europe so looks like I'm okay, cheers. I'll book a new one for next paycheck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Seperate envelopes. You need photocopy of your passport with child's original birth certificate for a first time application. So you shouldn't need to send your original birth cert.

It says for child's passport it's either a photocopy of a parents current passport (ours is out of date so not current I assume) OR parents original birth cert. So I'll need the birth cert for Al 3 childrens application, plus for my own as its an old out of date passport that's being renewed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

How far out of date is your passport? Under 5 years should be treated as a standard renewal?

Ya it's well over 5 unfortunately, been a quiet few years because of the kids 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Baker123

Just to update in case anyone was interested. I managed to get through on the phone this morning. They have flagged all 3 applications and made a note of our tavel date. They seemed fairly optimistic we would get them on time and said to keep an eye on the tracker. If it doesn't move then we've to phone back later in the week...

• Registered Users Posts: 8 robin83

Phone call from passport office today. Passports ready for collection today from their office. Beyond delighted! Don't know what got them through in the end. Alot of calls, webchats, tears and tds! Persistence is definitely needed. I hope everyone waiting gets good news soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 bindyboo

I'm delighted for you. I was supposed to get the call on friday to arrange collection, it never happened. My family flew yesterday, myself & my daughter changed to today, we were planning on collecting this morning. Instead they decided to put it in the post, it still hasn't left the passport premises. Tracking number still not registering. So i have had to change flights to tomorrow, i can't even look at my bank balance at this stage. I have never experienced such an unhelpful bunch on webchat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Giotto3

I've been trying for days to get through on WebChat. I'm constantly refreshing - so much so that I'm afraid I'll give myself a seizure with all the screen flickering. Haven't ever seen that grey WebChat box turn green!

Oh I am so sorry to hear this. Major f up again. You definitely need a holiday after this

Avoid lunchtime and first thing in the morning. Takes forever but it can be done. Think 11 or 3 ish were best times for me

• Registered Users Posts: 21 bindyboo

Hiya Michellie, has your an post tracker updated yet? Mine is still not registering with An Post. I also got a tracker number on sunday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Mine was the same. Dispatch notice on sunday and then an post updated the tracker shortly after 5pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Tracker only updated at around 4pm yesterday, we were going demented tracking it.

Checking again this morning to see if it is with the postman, hoping to book today to travel Thursday.

Hope you make your flight today!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Passport arrived. 1 day earlier than estimated date.

1 week and 1 day late for the holiday. New holiday rebooked now. Best of luck to everyone in their struggle to get their one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 first time applicant

Resubmission consent form updated on tracker now. A week after being delivered from An Post side. New issue date is 8th June. We fly the 12th of June. 🙈🙈

You should have it in time hopefully. My new estimated date is the same day we fly.

Got through on the phone yesterday and the lady said there is zero can be done their end to speed it up.

Best I can hope for is that most of the checks were done before the hold up and that it will move more quickly than if they hadn't.

Too expensive to change flights so now looking at husband going with the two older kids and me staying home with the youngest.

Apparently this happens multiple times a day so makes you wonder why they don't do something to prevent it happening so often....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Who are you suggesting does "something to prevent it happening so often"?

• Advertisement

I think that delays because to quote the passport office lady I spoke to 'the garda might not have looked up the book properly or have been too busy' could be avoided.

Delays caused by a name not being logged properly by a Garda could also easily be avoided.

If this is happening by her reckoning hundreds of times a week then something needs to change to make the system more efficent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Craftylee

My application has moved to printing today (Woop). I guess I can expect to receive it next day or two?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

I'm in Northern Ireland, and have a British passport which expired last year.

I decided to apply for an Irish one this time and have been trying to do so via the portal. However, every time I key in my passport number (and I have double-checked and triple-checked it's correct!) it says "Invalid passport book number" and won't let me proceed. Have tried support but the webchat is continually greyed out and the phone service just redirects me to webchat.

Has anyone else in the same situation encountered this?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I read that like you're putting a British passport book number into the Irish passport website. Have you previously had an Irish passport?

No, I haven't. But when I start the online application process, it only asks me if my most recent passport was issued less then 15 years ago (which it was) - then goes through a few more checks before asking for the passport number. At no point does it ask if my expired passport is a British or Irish one. I feel like I'm answering the prompts honestly and accurately but it's still failing on the number.

That's your problem. By most recent passport they mean Irish passport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭MissElle

It won’t accept a British passport number - all the questions pertain to an Irish passport. You will need to apply for a first time application since you have not held an Irish passport before

Misunderstanding on my part then, the front page of the passport online service said it's open to Irish-born citizens in Ireland, NI, GB and abroad for first time passports and passport renewals. I took that as meaning you could switch the expired GB passport to an Irish one when renewing.

You would be seen as a first time applicant for an Irish passport. Probably better off renewing your UK one if you're in a hurry.

• Advertisement

Thanks all, that clarifies it.

Advertisement