Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault Megane E-Tech

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭fafy

Intersting to hear about the showrooms, this will be a huge seller for Renault, and its a very interesting price point.

We have the 395 km range, Renault Zoe, starting at about. 28k, the entry level Megane E-Tech “40” only has a range of 300km, but clearly a big step up, in standard, size and performance, which will be priced significantly higher than the Zoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭johnf2020

Renault are saying that they aim to have the new R5 EV which will be the ZOE's replacement with a range of 400kms, priced less than the ZOE and will have all the latest tech, so assume they mean the Google operating system that is featured in the Megane E-Tech. Now that will be interesting. If it has the looks, the tech and the price all correct, then this could the car car that will get an awful lot more customers including younger drivers into EV Ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

if this is priced well and also bearing in mind the launch of the Cupra Born, the ID3 would want to watch out

This is really 2 different segments.

Megane ETech “40” range of 300kms, The only similar range and spec EV is the i3

Megane ETech “60” range of 470kms,(or 450kms with more powerful motor) a real Direct Compeditor to Id3/Born

Was looking at the French website, and while we’l hardly get all the trim levels over here, they have 3 trim levels for both 40 & 60 vehicles ,so 6 different configs. The French prices are before, the deduction their SEAI equivalent, of 6k.

https://www.renault.fr/vehicules-electriques/megane-e-tech-electrique.html

• Registered Users Posts: 28,077 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

This is a big enough car and I'd imagine the drag coefficient won't be the best so I'd take those figures with a pinch of salt.

• Advertisement

Its actually not as big at the pictures suggest. While the SUV styling bulk it up, its actually shorter that the currect Megane ICE and also shorter than the ID3 I believe.

Thats correct, its 60 mm shorter, a slightly bigger boot than ID3, but less room in 2nd row.

The ID3 is also about 40mm wider

Its also 60mm lower than a Zoe, as the Megane E Tech has a much thinner battery pack.

Its about 50mm lower than an ID3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

Selling a car in 2022 with 7 kW charging and no DC capability I'm not sure about. It would work for many 99% of the time but in effect makes this car sale proof for people with occasional long distance needs and/or no charging at home. Twice as good as 2012 Fluence doesn't sound good in 2022. Tread carefully with that particular trim level. I can't think of any other EV on sale in recent years with this bad charging setup. Fluence >2013 and very basic LEAF UK models up to about 2015 come to mind. If it was 22 kW AC then it would at least be similar to 2013 Zoe.

Apart from the base model this seems like a really interesting car. Did I mention: Just whatever you do not buy the 7 kW only version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭silver_sky

I saw a mention (can't find it now) that all Irish cars will have 22kW AC onboard spec'd. It makes sense I suppose as Zoe has that. I would assume (hope) it will have DC as standard also - they really fucked it up with the Zoe on that making it optional.

It looks like only 7KW AC only, with no DC, on 1st reading, on the entry level trim. but it sounds too strange to be true ? Are we missing something here ? , as no DC, make no sense at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 theinferior

• Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭ted1

That has no DC charging. You need to add €2k for 85 kW charging.

Good spot ! Keeps the cost down though, for those on lower budgets. Not everyone needs rapid DC charging, bit it is very unusual to have no DC charging at all.

That base model, may not even be sold here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Old diesel

On DC charging we will ultimately need to see what specs Renault Ireland decide to offer.

They could decide that AC only charging is taking the urine in 2022 and just make DC charging standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭oinkely

I'm not so sure that DC charging is a must have if you are aiming at the 'decent sized second car in a household' market. Our two evs haven't seen a rapid charger in about 4 years as we never use them for more than the range available. I'd be happy to buy a newer EV with 300km range and no rapid DC charging. It would suit us perfectly. That said, no intention of changing either of our two at the moment and definitely not until this new crop of cars are available at a reasonable used cost.

In the UK, they just launched a “priority” reserve system, to get in the q, you have to cough up £500, and mention a special launch edition limited to 300 only, but, still no pricing announced.

There is some info on specs, and an indication that all models will be 60kw batteries, but that could be just an initial launch strategy,with smaller battery models added later:

What seems to be the case is, with supply chains the way they are, looks like these will be, like all EV’s at the moment - like hens teeth.

The UK versions will have a 9 inch screen instead of the 12 inch available on the mainland. Also, there is no mention of an option for a heat pump. I'll be curious to see if the Irish versions are similarly downgraded.

Good spot, thought 9” was quite small. I’d assume we will get something similar to what the UK gets, theres not many countries in Europe with RHD.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,861 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Renault tend to give Ireland whatever they are giving the UK

• Advertisement

Here is the link to the current UK Brochure though it just look more like an overview rather than the full range that will be offered.

https://cdn.group.renault.com/ren/gb/transversal-assets/brochures/car-ebrochures/MEGANE-E-TECH-eBrochure.pdf.asset.pdf/4beab559de.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

In terms of spec? We had the Fluence here (it was immensely popular) but didn’t bother with the U.K.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Renault were very involved in the Russian market. Wonder are the embargo’s hitting them harder than most

The UK isnt a saloon car market for this size of car as such, so rather than develop a RHD Megane Saloon just for the limited amount of countries that would take it, they took a Korean Built Samsung SM3 as rebadged it as a Renault Fluence . Renault own a large share of Samsung Motors in Korea and once again share platforms and models depending of localised market requirements.....(things might be about to change for this tie up though)

UK prices were announced a few days ago. Between £36k for the cheapest model and £40k for the top of the range. They are not quite as well-specced as the continental models -- 9" screen instead of 12" on the infotainment, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭D_D

So pretty much exactly the starting price of the VW ID.3

Assuming all things being equal, the Megane e-tech will probably start at €44.5k here?

They are only selling the 60kw battery version, so it has more power than the ID3 205hp version, as E tech has 220hp, it also has a little more range, ID3 Life DX is 415 WLTP, Megan E Tech is almost 450 km WLTP.

also interesting is VW just updated the ID3 pricelist, new price list is dated June 14th, but kind of pointless, as the range starts with Life DX: the 1st 3 are not generally available- Life, Comfort, Business.

I’d guess the “Equilibre” entry 60kw model will be less than that, perhaps 42.5k, it will need to be close to the ID3, allthough its definitely better specced, bigger range, bigger boot, more power, but a little less interior space.

The 9” touchscreen downgrade, is quite hard to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,077 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Autogefuhl look up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Uk dealers seem to be having them for open evenings and/or video promotions now.

A potential indication of movement

Advertisement