Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

personally i think limerick defended as well today as they did in 2019 , when they hammred us out the gate , there backs are there catalyst and driving force , thay are brilliant but we need to be doing more up front , we won very few breaks or second balls inside the 45 , the fact is without lynch i dont think they have anyone to stay with kelly

the cork game two weeks ago young joyce kept tony to frees , all our scores came from elsewhere , if there is a weakness in the limerick system that seems to allow players like david fitzgerld to run amuck also at times , if i was to be blunt i would not be raving about the likes of o'donovan and o'donohue or the midfield in general , hence the 3s and 4s swarming in the middle 3rd , a true kinnerk tactic

but going back to the limerick full back line you need to be sharper to the breaks , we beat them well in 2018 and the full back line played really well that day but we won everything on the break that day , david reidy and colm galvin were sensational in that department its somthing we need to work on for the final

i heard lynch was out for the championship but take it with a pinch of donky ford salt 😉

Post edited by windy shepard henderson on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I would be seriously considering wholesale changes for the Waterford game.

3 tough matches down, more to come, I think we need freshness - and of course to avoid injuries/suspensions.

Munster championship matches are fiercely physical, and Waterford are fighting to save their season. I don't want a good performance v Waterford and to be flat in the Munster final.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Greasy Paw

Interesting to hear Galvin gets in a 'bit of trouble'- it must run in the family- he is a cousin of Ger Hegarty. Jake Morrision is also a relative, although he seems to keep a low profile. Of course you would expect him himself impeccably, not like us Limerick and Clare Barbarians- then again Tipp are pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Figerty

Duggan won the battle today, but the Limerick defence was excellent, swarming him on the ball. He had the beating of Casey in the air and won some amount of ball. Not all to hand but the winning and breaking weren't used enough. Surprised he was taken off as David Fitz had burned himself up with 10 minutes to go.

One thing that was obvious was the number of times Taylor was caught in possession today was surprising. Limerick figured out that he shows the ball a bit too much when moving it to the hurley and dispossessed him four or five times. It was obvious player analysis to my mind in the backroom. Same with Malone. Deny possession and he's not effective.

The game will be completely different with Gillane on the field.

While Kelly was the obvious man of the match from Clare, I thought Hayes side step of Flanagan one the end line and left Flannagan on his face. Both were smiling afterwards!

Get Shanaher and Reidy on next week from the start and get their legs working at championship speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭supernova5

Agree with all you said apart from the last part about next weeks game, for me its a very much an unwanted distraction

they expended huge stores of energy yesterday and Waterford are a massive physical unit who will come with savage ferocity as they are playing for their lives. This is a nothing game for Clare so it would be pointless going full throttle with a near full team and seriously risk injuries, suspensions. They will need all the reserves they can muster for a gruelling Munster final and all Ireland series. How management manages/handles this next game could prove crucial in over all scheme of things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

I definitely take your point on this. It was mentioned on one of the GAA pods I was listening to this morning, Tipp in 2019(?) were through to a Munster final, but got Bonnar and Cathal Barrett injured in the last round robin match when they were already through. At the same time though, I think Lohan will want to keep up the momentum. He did say after the match though that he will assess the condition of some of the players. I think two obvious candidates for me to be rested are Malone and Taylor given the huge shifts they've put in a midfield these past 3 rounds, they're the two probably carrying the most knocks and bruises. I imagine any player, a bit like Gillane yesterday, dealing with soft tissue injuries will be rested. But all in all, I still think 3-4 changes will be the maximum, but probably Lohan using his bench alot more this fixture as he is usually pragmatic in introducing substitutes. I guess we will see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Gael85

Any word Mark Rodgers fitness?

Was thinking back to 1998.

We had probably the best team in the country, but we played so many high intensity matches that it just caught up with us in the end (very flat in the 3rd game v Offaly), along with the suspensions and injuries with go with that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

I’ve heard he has returned to training but the Waterford game might be too soon. Aidan Mc is also back training, might feature this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Gael85

Be great lads to bring off bench later in season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

I think it's important that the likes of Kelly are rested next week. If Kelly gets injured then it's all over for Clare. Id leave Malone off aswell and maybe Conlon. I wouldnt care about the result if I was Clare.

Kelly was fantastic but that missed free to put Clare up in the 69th minute was a serious error. But draw was a fair result. I dont see Clare at Limericks level if Limerick have everyone back but Clare have made great strides. Taylor has improved hugely and whilst O Donoghue is a colossus Taylor stuck at it and got 2 important scores.

There's talk that Limerick want the final in Cork. Take Clare out of their comfort zone. They know the Limerick support will travel to Cork whereas Clares might be more fickle.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Any links to that. Limerick would have no say where the final going to be

That last line is a needless dig imo, both counties have great support that will travel to the final. I'm from Limerick but can't see Lohan resting anyone tbh, ye have two weeks off after the final but momentum is so important for this Clare side (as it is for any side just starting to come together). Clare are on a hot streak now, be foolish to end it for no good reason.

I take your point regarding momentum. But injuries would be especially serious for Clare. They've a lighter bench than most

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Definately Limerick will have no say on that, but Cork County Board might. I forecast some time back that Cork will get games later in the championship, both hurling and football to make up for the 3 games they were forced to play away due to Mr.Sheeran. Win,win for them, concert money and match money.

i would imagine,given a choice, Limerick would always opt for Thurles, as would Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭PIORUN

that last line....WOW....talk about just making something up on the spot and putting it out there haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Figerty

Clare bench is getting stronger at the moment with experienced players coming back in like Reidy. Not sure we have enough to take down Limerick but time will tell.

Watch this space. Thurles isn't a done deal at all. I wasn't just stirring the porridge.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Geographically Cork is further away, and for this reason historically any neutral Clare-Limerick games are in Thurles. No need to make fans travel further.

I doubt either set of players or management particularly cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭deisedude

Congratulations on reaching the Munster final lads. I think a well-earned break now this weekend for the likes of Tony Kelly, Peter Duggan, John Conlon, Rory Hayes and a few more would be just the tonic to recharge the batteries for the Munster final! 😉

• Advertisement

couldn't agree more, those 4 mentioned players plus at least 4 others, the red helmeted one doesn't operate like that though...

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Tom Thumbless

Cork marathon on the same day as Munster final so hopefully that will rule it out. Thurles makes sense for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

Kind of stirring the pot here as a Limerick man, but I know it won’t happen; how would Clare fans here feel about the final at the Gaelic Grounds, Limerick?

Pros: it’s central and a lot closer for some Clare fans than Limerick fans.

Clare don’t have a bad record there.

cons: Limerick would have home advantage, but does home advantage matter in a place like the Gaelic Grounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭deisedude

Good point. The Marathon route goes very close to Pairc Ui Caoimh so sincerely doubt the GAA would be allowed by the Gardai to put on a match there on the same day

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Greasy Paw

I think they will hope to play their own high intensity game and will mark Tony as best they can, without completely upsetting their own system- remember he scored 17 points- I thimk- two years ago and the boys still won by 11. Unlike Kilkenny in their pomp, Limerick do not do Hammer the Hammer. They seem to feel it is more important to play their own game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Personally I think the team that tops the group should have home venue but without that being in place not a hope in hell would I concede home venue to Limerick in a Munster final, we used to have a home and away arangement but that was never in place for finals, think 93 in Ennis, 95 in Thurles and 96 in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

Would rather play in Limerick than Cork if that was the choice. Great to see Lohan and Clare resetting the game of hurling somewhat back to the basics ,marking your man and winning your own ball, moving the ball at speed. Long overdue and Brilliant to watch and Im sure other teams are looking in and taking note. Its a simple game when played correctly and no need for some of the mental tactics we have been treated to of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Marathon aside Cork would make no sense, the only positive I could see is that its a beautiful modern stadium, everything else would weight on favour of Thurles or even the Gaelic Grounds if Clare didn't mind the game at the venue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

I do too, but no way would the Munster Council go for that in case Clare or Waterford topped the group.

Advertisement