Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sweden avoiding lockdown

Options

Comments

Not at all, I appreciate that there are degrees of mitigation, it's not on/off or yes/no - there is nuance. A lack of nuance is one of the great problems in modern society.

I never said lockdown didn't work, or that I don't value lives (a false assumption on your part) - I've always argued for choice and personal responsibility (a dirty phrase these days, I appreciate). The point I was making was that it was a value judgement. But this idea that lockdown completely stops transmission is wrong, and it appears, as jacdaniel (or Fintan) said - lockdowns are not needed to exit waves of transmission (in real time cases are falling in UK/IE without lockdown). The only way lockdown could entirely stop transmission is if it is permanent and total.

I suspect there will be more waves in future (as does the Scottish Health minister). So, we need to prepare a response to those future waves that is proportionate and takes civil liberties into account.

You are here criticising Sweden's approach of no lockdown and now also saying that Ireland's strictest lockdown in Europe didn't work well.

It's getting difficult to know what you actually want.

Its well worth while to read the Inflation thread on boards. Lockdowns is what was caused all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,244 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Its a moving target. The lethality changed as did the mitigation effect of vaccination. It makes no sense to make a sweeping generalization about a rapidly chaining situation. Even the lockdown was constantly changing.

The point of the lock down was to get from A to B. Not an end in itself, or that it would be 100% effective. Though it can be if you look at physically separated locations that choose a stricter lockdown than we had.

But this is about Sweden. Sweden tried something and it didn't work. In that it resulted in excess avoidable deaths that were preventable in Sweden.

I'm just pointing out these black and white terms you are using are meaningless. Saying we had a strict lockdown when some people ignored it completely, and it wasn't enforced that strictly. That's the reality. Did it have an impact on the numbers. Sure. The data reflects that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,150 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

On the matter of scale it can easily be argued that the choices revoked were in correlation to the number of excess deaths. But really when you are talking about the policies chosen, comparing us to Sweden or any country that used lockdown, you are comparing apples to oranges.

Our policy, like all those that used lockdown, was attempting to slow or control the spread of the virus, Sweden`s policy was to encourage the spread attempting to achieve herd immunity. This is very clear from Tegnell`s emails while formulating the policy. Especially evident in the emails between him and his Finnish counterpart on school children and spreading the virus.

• Advertisement

Perhaps more accurate to say herd immunity without (waiting for) a vaccine.

Well, whatever one thinks about it all really is academic. I have my views, you have yours. What happened has happened and no amount of bickering will change that fact.

One thing I will say though, is that there are going to be crises in the future (immediate and distant), some of which will be about public health and some of which will be about other things - but how we react to those crises is just as important as to whether or not we achieve the objectives.

A teleological view would state that the 'ends justify the means' - but, I think this is a short sighted approach and we should definitely concern ourselves with the 'means'. After all, it is the 'means' that define us as a society.

I'm just interested in stats and the analysis of them. Or in this case the fallacies of logic that can't possibly be true.

I am not sure what logic you are referring to, but I don't think I have typed any fallacies.

I do not know of anybody that believed lockdown would eradicate the virus. Lockdown was mainly to hopefully slow down the spread in the belief that science would come up with an answer, or the virus would mutate to a degree that would negate the need for lockdown. As it turns out to date both those believes have been correct. Sweden`s strategy was the opposite. It was anti science in chasing herd immunity, and the belief that once infected you would then become immune to any future variants was also wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,099 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

still repeating the ireland had the strictist lock down in europe lie dispite it being destroyed and debunked billions of times over i see.

there is no real evidence so far to show lock downs have any part to play in inflation as it began happening after lock downs were lifted across europe.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Our Taoiseach admitted with glee on live television that we had tougher restrictions than other countries.

You can't actually be serious about inflation... We borrowed billions and caused havoc with supply chains. Short term inflation was predicted by our Government. Then medium term.

Now we've switched to oh f*ck there is a war, we're absolutely f*cked.

tougher restrictions then a couple of other countries does not equate to the strictest lockdown in europe, you need to get your story straight first of all.

we borrowed a small amount and we will be able to service it and pay it back.

brexit and the war are causing serious issues, it was covid which caused some supply chain issues previously rather then the lockdowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

What countries had tougher/longer restrictions than us?

Didn't Australia have the longest in terms of days. I assume the harshest would be those that actually locked people up and not let them go to the shops. Or locked them up with no vaccines. Lots of ways to define it.

Maybe. But you'd swear people had been in solitary for a year.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

As an owner of a few non-essential shops (some of which are essentially outside) it felt like 2 years.

Oh hang on, it was 2 **** years.

Weird. Because the lockdown wasn't constant for two years and definitely not for non-essential shops.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

100% correct. But for SME biz owners the break in flow of business it may as well have been.

Now, I'm speaking from my own experience ( indy biz owner in the South Dub city, Howth and Brest) the lame, half hearted re-openings accounted for an actual drop in revenue (expectation of supply/demand and rents). But hey, if you've personal experience of the businesses you run and the affect of lock downs on them then I'm all ears.

If you made the case that the trading period was too short to break even, then fair enough. Most people will be aware that things like insurance, commercial rates and rents, refused to drop there prices and forced people out of business. There's also an economy of scale, volume even for a small business.

But no you implied the lock down kept you closed for 2yrs. Which is disingenuous. But its your livelihood, its understandable. It highly emotive.

Were all the lockdown rules perfect no. They were sweeping generalisation to catch the lowest (stupidest) denominator.

For many people just having kids at home forced them out of work. Lots of indirect ways people were effected as well as the direct ones like losing their job or business.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

What a convenient load of ..flannel, to deflect from my post which states that the government you say offered personal choice did so by lying to its citizens and not protecting or supporting them, especially its vulnerable elderly , either medically or with any coordinated financial measures. Whatever your post above means...( can't say that I think it is anything but waffle) does not excuse such negligence . Nor does it seek to address my points in any meaningful way .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

A problem with a lot of discussion on this thread is that people are not using figures to justify their arguments or are basing them on outdated newspaper reports. If we look at the cumulative excess deaths during the period of the pandemic, we do indeed see that Sweden had a greater proportion of excess deaths in the early part of the pandemic. I did an analysis towards the end of the first year of the pandemic and found that the difference was fully accounted for by Sweden's older age profile. Since then, as the graph shows below, the gap has closed to the extent that, cumulatively, there is no significant difference. This means that, given Sweden's age profile, Sweden has done better than Ireland in terms of preserving lives during the pandemic when age is taken into consideration (as it should be).

Seeing as this thread is Sweden avoiding lockdown an interesting study on consumer spending in Denmark and Sweden carried out by the Danish Center for Economic Behavior and Inequality using real-time transaction data from a large Scandinavian bank found there was just 4% difference. Sweden`s consumer spending dropped by 25% and Denmark`s by 29%

I've no idea what that graph is. I would be expecting if your assertion was true your graph should have roughly the same percentages overall but at different times. Because the two countries didn't have the same timeline. That's not what your graph is showing. One is mirror of the other. Transposed to higher %. That would imply they had exactly the same waves of COVID exactly at the same time. That our health service manged it identically to Swedens health service. That they all had the same super spreader events at the same time.

Besides you don't need to create your own graphs lots of info on the web.

You can see all countries mapped below and even compare countries with similar age profiles.

As you would expect different countries exposed to COVID at different times and different death rates, have different profiles. None looks anything like yours.

You can also compare countries with similar age profiles directly.

Ah, so you are one of the “I’m alright Jack” crowd. Lockdowns didn’t affect you so they must not have affected anyone else.

I'm not the one inflating what the lockdown was or wasn't.

You may see it as 'flannel' (lol by the way, I never heard this term in this context before), but I am fairly certain this is exactly how Thomas Hobbes would have formulated a response to this crisis and it's exactly how future historians will see the response to it, a Hobbesian contract that individuals make with an absolute (despotic) state - sacrifice freedom and rights for safety. Just FYI, Thomas Hobbes is generally considered as one of the founders of modern political philosophy, a hugely influential figure. (A 2 minute video worth watching if you are interested in history https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02b922h)

I cannot comment on whether Sweden's authorities 'lied' to its populace - I can't prove or disprove that statement. What I do know is that the media in this nation (and in the UK) projected an image (directly or indirectly, purposefully or not) that we were all equally vulnerable to the worst effects of this virus (which was not true). Take from that what you will.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement

You realize can just look at the media at that time and see what was being reported.

Advertisement