Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ journalist found guilty of sexually assaulting woman as she slept

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

This is pretty much a textbook example of how education around consent could be so useful.

Sure, people who know what they are doing is wrong won't learn anything, but I'd wager this isn't such a case.

I'd agree that this guy isn't some dangerous abuser or whatever, just a guy who doesn't know what the law says. A guy who thought that (to use an expression already used on here) he was just 'trying it on' and never imagined it could amount to sexual assault. And no doubt he's not the only one who got in real trouble for that.

Education on consent, even if just about what the law says, and what could get you in deep sh!t like you never imagined, would be very worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Im a bit old and past it now for that sort of shenanigans, but in my youth there was many a time on a one night stand i was woken up by some sexual activity. If I wasnt in the mood i could have said no, but it was a nice way to be woken up.

I thin what happened here is they were both ok with how the night went. She probably wanted to sleep when he got horny, so they both went back to sleep. Then they over thought it afterwards. Him texting probably trying to say the right thing and her getting more and more upset. Eventually court and a conviction. On the evidence I read here i definitely would be having some very reasonable doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

• Registered Users Posts: 56,273 ✭✭✭✭walshb

• Registered Users Posts: 19,847 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

They were found not guilty. Legally there was no crime proven. That doesn't mean you have to condone their behaviour or what they did. You can still form an opinion that what they did wasn't good!

• Advertisement

I think most of the doing was not done by them... not guilty nothing to condone... end of...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

common sense died a long time ago when it comes to sexual encounters , now not only are men presumed to be in the wrong , the whole thing is utterly politicised

Purely your opinion and up to you. You can think their behaviour was fine and appropriate and didn't reflect on them badly at all. I don't. Difference of opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,245 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

According to several people here you are a raging pervert, a creep and a threat to the moral fabric of society.

We have daughters - if they met a lad like this and were in this situation, told him to stop and he stopped. Then I'd have no problem at all with him on that basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,232 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

On the evidence I read here i definitely would be having some very reasonable doubt.

Reasonable doubt on what legal basis?

He corroborated her story, a juror doesn't get to give a hot take on what they think happened and come to a conclusion that way, the law is explained to them clearly.

You can't consent when you are asleep, so by the letter of the law there is zero reasonable doubt.

It's that simple, now a juror outside that strictly defined framework may echo your opinion, but that's moot.

The only one whose opinion has any weight is the Judge, it will be very interesting to see how she scales the case.

• Advertisement

not everyone automatically assumes every woman has honourable intentions

education ( of the ideological kind you have in mind here re_ " consent " ) is what landed this guy in trouble in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 9,808 ✭✭✭hynesie08

So you'd have no issue if your daughter came home and told you that after telling a lad no she woke up with him on top groping her?

As you said yourself not guilty... your and my opinion irrevelant... justice prevails...

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭foxsake

so she stayed the night sharing a bed with a fella she had consented to some sexual activity earlier with the suggestion of more later. then she is traumatized when he tried to initiate it again later - while still in bed together - she says no and he backs off .She then stays the night in the bed with him - texts him - meets with him later to discuss his bad behavior.

She wants to meet her attacker ...like ffs you gotta question this.

then waits a year to complain to the garda that he grabbed her tits. a fcukin year. I guess his apology didn't come with the mea cupla she wanted so she went for the pound of flesh too. This complaint and prosecution was vindictive in the extreme. A misunderstanding and an apology shouldn't result in this.

This completely devalues victims of actual sexual assault. Because his conviction labels him in the same vein of people who actually attack women.

but he grabbed her tits ! the white knights will say - sure!! maybe kak handed come on in but not a crime to lack the Casanova touch. he was in bed with her already post some sex activity - he didn't grab her in the street ffs .yet now will be labelled like he was going around attacking a woman.

I hope people judge him on the story not the conviction.

Post edited by foxsake on

There's no problem, she said stop and the chap stopped. That's respect. In these grey areas between people, that's the best you can hope for in real life. When someone says stop, they cease.

To lose his job, have his name all over the place and be on a sex offenders list is just plain ridiculous.

Well if you don't condone their behaviour then you can easily state so. But you can also condone it if you want. Up to you. Your posts imply some measure of agreement that their behaviour was fine and respectable and not below par

• Registered Users Posts: 9,808 ✭✭✭hynesie08

She said stop sexually assaulting me and he didn't further assault her? That's it, that's the bar is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I was on a jury for a sexual assault case some years ago. That really opened my eyes to what goes on in a jury room. Lets just say some minds are made up as soon as they see the defendant and hear the charge and no amount of evidence is going to change their minds. Since then I would always make sure to have evidence before I make any decision on guilt. In the end it was unanimous, but there was no convincing some of them of anything other than their first opinion the whole way through. They didnt even bother waiting to hear the evidence before deciding.

I also had another event where i supposedly witnessed a sexual assault (I just had a conversation with the couple and had been gone for hours before the event, that it turned out never happened) and had to go to the police station to explain exactly what I saw, so I know what pressure the gardai put on you to say what they want to hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

So she was so traumatised that she called this “deviant” and invited him over to her place?? Women like this give women a bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

So just to clarify, for a friend. There is no way that a court will take evidence from a sheep..right!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭vegandinner

Hopefully the judge sees sense and applies a suspended sentence for 30 days or something minimal.

waste of court time and tax payer money.

When someone goes home with you for the sole intention of sexual fun. I would take that as open consent until such a time they say they’ve had enough, or they leave in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I think this whole episode should teach people a few things.

Say nothing to guards in terms of statements or interviews without legal representation. I think this young mans goose was cooked when he gave them way to much info.

Always enure you have decent representation in court. Surely to god his barrister must have been telling not to accept the verdict and to appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭foxsake

human sexual relations are more complex and nuanced than your absolute statement. Assuming you are a logically adult you would know this.

you'd have a point if they hadn't been sexual prior and sharing a bed. that offers a whole other dynamic and you know this.

he started round 2 , she said no . he stopped and said sorry.

he isn't a danger to anybody - this conviction serves no public interest and only the vindictive nature of the women in the case

You can’t be “found” innocent, as that is your default state. Innocent until proven guilty, therefore, if not proven guilty, you remain innocent.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

There was very little coverage on RTE (and other Irish media) quelle surpise - surely a far more significant case to be covered than that of the wives of English footballers gossiping about each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Only With a solicitor present and two weeks written notice before hand

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement