Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The NMH at St. Vincents

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

So basicly people with money can get anything done in a private hospital. If the new hospital gets built there no operations that could be seen as contraception will be carried out. Does that mean women cannot get iuds without going to a private hospital. I'm not a medical expert. Are there no such operations carried out at public hospitals ? I don't think the Nuns should have total control over all medical operations especially since its the government that ll be spending millions of euros to pay the staff and the cost of building a hospital , which is probably 100s of millions of euros. I don't think the government actually expects women nowadays to have more than 2 or 3 children , this is not the 80s.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

The Government are assuring us that all procedures will be carried out in the new hospital.At present

Being honest, I have no strong opinions on the NMH, other than...weariness.They have backed themselves into a corner so to speak, really the cleanest solution would be to CPO a site elsewhere and have done with it.But with the time and money spent getting to this point, I guess that just won't happen.So we'll have to live with whatever deal emerges.

And you're right - people with money can get those procedures done basically.On top of that, they can get them done by consultants double-jobbing.The religious influence precludes contraceptive procedures such as tube tying, as a stand alone operation.The Irish solution is, of course, sure if we are in there for a C section,it's ok to do it, but to go in specifically to do it?No.

Not right at all, is it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Having done Law and looked at secular medical ethices, I released their is nothing there beyond the hot air and pomposity of the progressives scrambling for the moral high-grpund that is currently being build on the bones of their "repoduction rights" victims. In the past, there were mistakes made but at least some form of service was continued on a shoestring. In today's era, having abandoned any sense of shared societal ethics the health service lurches from one crisis to another, ignored by the left unless it suits their agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Irelandsnumberone

SVHG’s James Menton states that the State last approached SVHG with a formal offer to buy the site FIVE YEARS AGO. 

Last week, Stephen Donnelly told the Dail he asked SVHG to sell the site to the State after he became Minister.

Donnelly and the Govt are a disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I saw that reported on VMN last night and I'm surprised there's been very little reaction to the fact Stephen Donnelly either mislead the Dail or yet again had a bout of forgetfulness.

He was asked directly in the Dail had he personally asked SVHG if the site could be purchased and his catagorical answer was yes. (VMN played the Dail exchange)

Yesterday Roisin Shorthall asked the Chairman of SVHG was the purchase of the Site discussed and in essence he said no, apart from an aside during discussion with the HSE a number of years ago, it's not the HSE actually making any decisions its the Department of Health and Government.

There's more hole's in the Governments story on this matter than swiss cheese.

It's likely to proceed but Donnelly has some explaining to do.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

What's the cost for rent of the land?

Can it be increased at any time during the 299years?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

€10 a year. There's also trigger clauses in the lease that increase it to over 800k per year, if for example the State makes an attempt to buy the land.

We should at least know all the conditions set out where the rent could go up!

I'll quote the Irish Times:

"A nominal rent of €10 per year will be charged as part of the leasehold agreement but this can be increased to €850,000 but only if six pretty standard terms are not met including that the State does not try to buy the freehold somewhere along the line (there are laws which could allow this, so that’s why it is being mentioned again). The site must also be used for its intended purpose as a maternity hospital and the State must not try to give the lease to anyone else. In reality, the rent will be €10 a year, and no more."

• Registered Users Posts: 16,569 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

In fairness I think the Irish taxpayer would rise to the 800K PA...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭wildswan

Why are they trying to sell the myth that the nuns are divested from control?

From what I can see they are still on the board of the hospital.

So they have 2 mechanism to deny people the care they need:

* Interfere with hiring and firing, indirectly influence clinical decisions

* Threaten the government with the rent increase (via lawyers) - this will be more effective once the next recession hits

The vatican have not atoned fully for their crimes (or even paid compensation) - we can't allow them to have this influence.

Think about it - the churches are empty. Why do the rest of us have to suffer for the beliefs of a tiny portion of society?

Also what exactly are government negotiators supposed to have won in the current round of negotiations?

Im not saying they wouldnt.

Lets fast forward 30 years, its 2032, and next thing it emerges that because they are now doing X in the hospital the rent is 800k.

Everyone will go mad, and the politicians then will say (we are only adhering to the law/ lease).

This could be avoided now with a bit of transparency, and if its a non issue and Im being ridiculous than just show us the documents now!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,121 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Not being ridiculous at all but just to point out it should read 2052.

The full market rent is not a real threat. The State can well afford the €1m a year approx that it would cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Lot of non birthing people on here giving an opinion on a birthing hospital 😂

They should get rid of the non birthing people from the hospital too, sure what would they know?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,245 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Fast forward 10, 20, 30 years when the sh*t hits the fan... the politicians deciding this today will be long, long gone and some six feet under the ground.

So the public will get the usual palaver then from whoever's in... it wasn't us that made this decision... we'll take learnings from it....... we are where we are.. blah blah.

Just not good enough when there are clearly some fundamental fault lines. Whose 'constitution' is the most important, St.Vincent's (Church doctrine) or the States. And has been said already, there are many ways in which this new hospital can avoid certain procedures as in 'not part of our remit'... 'no staff properly trained for xyz'... 'no resources for xyz' and so on.

Won't that be for those people in future to resolve? Some of the what if "I can't access xyz at NMH in 30 years time" is quite frankly an issue to be sorted by the people living here in 30 years time.

The idea that this project could've been further stalled over hypotheticals and yet more medical politics is absurd. Holles St. is falling apart anyone willing to risk the further delay of this project clearly doesn't really care about women's or babies health, or at least puts it at a level below their own political posturing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,245 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yes though we've seen it all before in this country. Any citizen who has followed events in the last 30-40 years knows that 'Canon Law' supersedes State Law in the churches eyes. The church in Rome is still a powerful force with a view (as they are entitled to have) on all related matters.

As regards the responses of politicians in 30 years, how often do you want to hear the current hackneyed phrase "we'll take learnings from it"?? We've had other versions of it in the past but it all amounts to people washing their hands of responsibility for decisions taken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Wasn't there some issue in the NCH or James itself, were McDonald's wanted to open a Ronald McDonald House but it was denied because they didn't want McDonald's logos and the like? Much more preferable for a hospital to be associated with organisations that persecuted homosexuals, sold babies and imprisoned single mothers. Not forgetting the mass burial of babies in unmarked lots.

Anyone thinks we've progressed needs to wake up.

Post edited by Brucie Bonus on

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Deleted

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

A public Hospital on public land that’s what the Dáil has voted for

In a non binding vote.

Interesting that Costello and Hourican backed the motion against the government that they are part of. The strategist in me thinks that they see the writing on the wall for the Greens and they want to be thrown out rather than be seen to jump ship themselves. And no better way to jump ship than to be a martyr for "your principles".

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them with the soc dems for the next GE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

A number of cowards abstained I see.

The majority of people (who had the balls to vote) voted for a public hospital on public land

• Registered Users Posts: 15,121 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

More TD’s abstained than voted in favour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭foxsake

Advertisement