Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI App issues - blocked

• 11-05-2022 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I've been repeatedly blocked from my banking 365. I use my app to log in. I was 100% sure my pin was correct. Entered it and got blocked. Rang 365 followed steps and changed pin. Same thing again. Blocked again. I am sure i am entering everything correctly.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭thefallingman

happened me at the weekend aswell Milkmusic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,129 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Has happened to me several times. The app is a disaster. They need to study the Revolut app to see what we need in an app

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi MilkMusic,

Thanks for your post.

Sorry to hear you're having difficulty logging in. If you can please call us on 0818200362 and select option 3 our colleagues will check this for you.

Thanks

Tara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭DJB030244

I’m having same issues even now - I’m on Apple app and can’t log in with correct login details - very frustrating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Aisling

Hi There,

Thanks for getting in touch.

We're sorry to hear this. It would be best to contact our Customer Service Team on 0818 365 365, one of my colleagues will be more than happy to assist you with this.

The team is available Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm.

Thanks, Aisling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭brookers

Hi there,

Same thing here, phoned the number quoted above, talked to four different people who thought they had me sorted, changed my pin and just blocked again there now. tried changing pin myself on the automated phone line too numerous times today. I feel like crying, so frustrating as once I typed in the pin this am, it never loaded up. Is there any way I can contact the media about this and let other people know not to spend a whole day worrying about this. There is obviously a major fault there that has to be addressed. I look at my banking app a few times a day as I am in the middle of a very stressful time and need to know where I stand with my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭maldini

Won't let me log in this morning. failed 3 times, I'm afraid to try again as I'll get blocked and have to jump through hoops to get it sorted.

What's going on here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland Reps

Hi there,

Sorry to hear this.

Please contact our mobile app team on 0818200362 and select option 3.

Our colleagues are available between 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday to resolve this for you.

Thanks,

Declan

What's the point in ringing if I have to change my pin only for it to be blocked again. Just tell us what's going on and why the app is screwed?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭brookers

Hi Maldini,

Just got sorted there, yesterday was a mare. same as you put in the correct pin but accounts didn't load up. a really nice girl fixed it for me this am. If you go on to the automated service, if you put your birthday details incorrectly you are then automatically transferred to a customer service agent who will help you. I found that out the hard way!!!! Best of luck.

• Advertisement

Hi there,

Our colleagues in the mobile app team with account access can check your profile and we can advise further on the issue to resolve this.

Sorry to hear about the issues you have faced but unfortunately we don't have access to your account/profile from here to advise further on the issues you have experienced.

Thanks,

Declan

Thanks for that Brookers. Did they tell you what's going on? It was only last month I was locked out of my account for no reason and had to ring and change the pin. Now have to do it again. Tis is a bit of a shambles!

Thanks again

Rang up and got my account unblocked. Apparently it's app updates. Try to log in now and it fails again. Gonna get blocked again. This is a national Bank oooooofft

Just to update anyone else suffering from this.

Rang again. Got unblocked again. Uninstalled the app. Reinstalled the app. They reset and refreshed my devices list.

I registered my phone again.

It works now.

I think boi really needs to look at their app development and updating process 🫣

We're glad to hear this issue has been resolved and we appreciate your feedback.

We'll certainly pass this on to our colleagues.

Thanks,

Declan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭DJB030244

It’s still not working for me - changed pin again . There’s definitely an issue with the app

I spent ages waiting to get through on phone and have reinstalled app etc the - farce

The app is a complete piece of **** but how sure are you it's being entered properly? Just asking because 90%+ of the time I try to login on the app the number pad disappears after a couple of seconds so it's easy to mess up the input. The app is a slow, useless piece of **** though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,235 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi DJB030244, Buttonftw, 10-10-20

Sorry to hear the issues you have experienced.

Please contact our mobile app team on 0818200362 and select option 3.

Our colleagues are available between 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday to resolve any issues you are experiencing.

Thanks,

Declan

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭happyplants

I am having this frustrating issue. The block occurred (password entered properly) co-incidentally with the app starting up everytime now saying "updating app" and getting to 0% and no more, and then refusing to take passwords (despite being changed) or refusing to progress further.

There is literally no way to proceed on the phone menu to anyone to deal with this, other than get through to fraud services.

And now after changing the PIN and trying to log in, the whole thing stalls, and I get another text about how several attempts are being made on my account and I'll be blocked AGAIN.

• Advertisement

Hi,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here.

Sorry to hear this. There is currently no reports of issues with our mobile app. Please uninstall and reinstall the app as sometime this helps. If the issue persists please call us directly on 0818 365 365, team is available weekdays 9am to 5pm and Saturdays 10am to 2pm.

My colleague will happily assist you.

Thanks,

Niamh.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭happyplants

When I'm reporting an issue about your mobile app, what is the point of using the text in reply that "[t]here is currently no reports of issues with our mobile app." What do you want to say here?

Further, that phone number is next to useless to actually conduit one's way to a human. Could I trouble you to tell me the options that should be selected to actually get to someone rather than more automated menus?

Hi there, thanks for checking back with us.

You can select these options to reach an Advisor 1, 2, enter account number, 5 * 3 on 0818365365 - weekdays 9am-5pm, Sat 10am-2pm.

Alternatively, you can dial 0818200362 select option 3 this will put you through to Advisor. (Team available weekdays 9am-5pm)

Hoping this helps,

Alison

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Just seen this thread, and a possible issue is that it appears that BOI have recently changed the level of Android that the app will run on, and if you don't have the relevant level on the phone (assuming not Apple device), I'd not like to hazard a guess what might be happening if the phone is using a now out of date version of Android.

The app now apparently requires Android 8 as a minimum level.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Thanks Irish Steve for joining thread.

As you correctly mention, App will work on Android operating system 8 and above.

We've some more info on this here https://www.bankofireland.com/help-centre/faq/can-i-use-the-bank-of-ireland-app-on-any-smart-device/

Many thanks, Alison

I posted my earlier message as I nearly got caught by this recently, less than a month ago, I was still using a Galaxy S7. which is not an ancient phone, but it is Android 7, and I am thinking that it might be a sensible move to ensure that if a change of this nature is in the plan, any users that will be impacted by it should be as a minimum given some advance warning of the plan, so that they can take appropriate actions, given that it's no longer possible to use a laptop for on line banking without the relevant confirmation from a phone or similar.

It would be highly inconvenient to suddenly discover that it's not possible to access banking services as a result of an change of Android levels, and depending on the circumstances, an urgent upgrade to a newer phone may not be possible, or achievable at a sensible price, the newer smart phones are no longer a cheap item.

Companies like Microsoft publish very widely the dates when a specific version of their operating systems will no longer be supported, and a number of the major software suppliers also publish their upgrade plans to give users advance warning of changes that may require them to upgrade their hardware, I cannot recall seeing any warnings about the change of Android levels with the 365 app. Losing access to the app with no warning would have been very unhelpful, and caused problems for us.

Regards

Steve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,235 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Agreed @Irish Steve, and that's all without considering the impact of these types of changes on older users. I know my own highly technical father now struggles with basic banking due to the multitude of changes, and he's not on a phone contract where he can easily obtain a new device just because BOI now don't support Android 7.

Where is the customer engagement piece in all of this? Banking is for the masses: that includes the elderly, isolated, hard-of-hearing and poor-sighted.

Hi there, thanks for getting in touch with us.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused by this for you. Our  App will work on Android operating system 8 and above as we are always looking at ways to improve the app with each new version that we release. We have information on our website of all devices supported by our App please see attached.

Bank of Ireland app supported devices - Bank of Ireland Group Website

Thanks, Sarah

Sarah

I'm sorry, but as usual, BOI have COMPLETELY missed the point that's being made here, with all the multitude of sometimes incredibly bad changes that have been made to on line banking, a mobile phone associated with a bank account is now deemed by BOI as essential, rather than optional, if the phone won't work for whatever reason, then the user has NO access any more to any form or version of on line banking, which was and is a massively retrograde step.

As was pointed out, not all users have perfect sight, or hands that can cope with trying to type on a stupid little mobile phone keyboard, or hearing that means they get to hear the phone chirping because a web site needs an authorisation to process a payment, or the mobility to get to their phone and log in before the ridiculously short time out period expires, and all of these issues are things that the vast majority of the people designing and developing the latest and greatest version of the mousetrap are not even aware of, they're more than likely mid 20's graduates with very little real life experience, and next to no experience of the sorts of issues that are faced by the older generations that are trying desperately to keep up with the latest loops and hoops that they are being forced to jump through.

I'm very fortunate, my first exposure to banking systems was when the UK went over from the old 240 pennies to the pound to decimal 100 Pence to the pound, and I was working for a company that supplied 3 of the big 4 UK banks with mechanical adding machines, as well as the first versions of on line computers, and the like, and we spent weeks testing the conversion process, because every bank in the country (and in those days there were LOTS of them) had to be able to do the conversion on the set day, and be up and running the next day with the new currency.

I also know a lot about on line banking, that happened at around the same time, and I've watched it developing over the years, along with the various generations of ATM, it's hard to believe that the first ATM's only gave you £10, and kept the card, which was posted back to the user, and then they moved on to a card that was good for up to 20 uses, but still only gave you £10, and after the 20'th use, they had to send out a new card, so in some ways, things have improved and moved on, but in other ways, the loops and hoops now are only unreal, and with the increasing number of attempts to defraud, it's getting very hard to know who or what to trust.

The point I was trying to make, and clearly I didn't make it hard enough, if BOI are going to make it impossible to CONTINUE to use a specific version of the operating system of a phone, then it is incumbent on BOI to give the user advance warning of that change, NOT just suddenly tell them, "You need version X of Android to use our application", that is an unreasonable and unacceptable way to treat users, and in some cases, it may mean a user has no access to funds at a critical time, and no easy recourse to alternative sources of funds. For anyone within the bank to see that as even remotely acceptable smacks of a very bad culture within banking, which will only serve to make increasing number of people move away to alternative providers who are being more aware and accommodating of users with any sort of physical or mental difference that makes it harder for them to function.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭daheff

@Irish Steve

BOI are ignoring the point here.

In any case BOI, why can you not have your system be back compatible to older versions of Android? Why can you not do any kind of research into seeing what number of users will be affected by a system change like this? Is it because you just don't care about your customers? Or are incapable?

Why are you not pushing out notifications to users to let them know ahead of the app updates that a prerequisite for the app to work is Android XYZ and above? Its all well and good telling people afterwards that you have a list of supported devices on your website, but if that keeps changing does that mean users have to check the website everytime they want to use your app?

Advertisement