Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ journalist found guilty of sexually assaulting woman as she slept

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

the problem here is although he would surely get a suspended sentance, his life is as screwed as if he was a pedo basically

a couple of years in prison wont make much difference

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

in writing...

as they say "i never went to bed with a bad lookin woman but i often woke up with one"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Rightly, things have changed over the last decade.

The ONS should be benched.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,256 ✭✭✭✭walshb

So is this man in your eyes a sexual deviant? Do you not take into account the situation, drink, their consent to engage in intimacy, their meeting up afterwards etc. The length of time before the incident was reported....

do you also believe that what happened to this man could happen to almost any man in a similar situation? If you do, then we are all no different than he.

I am sure there are many many many decent and good and gentle men who have ended up in similar situations....none meaning in any way to harm, hurt or terrorize any woman

It seems you want to demonize this man based of a very very short time where he acted and she said stop/no, and he then stopped.

This feels like a discussion scenario presented in a consent workshop- except it’s not. It’s very real for the two people involved, and their families.

I can understand some of the reactions on this thread in favour of the male but I’m not sure people are comparing like with like experiences they’ve had themselves.

The elements to this case are:

1. They were not known to each other previously nor had any history of sexual contact - I think that’s significant, especially when it comes to sexual norms between two people who are in a loving relationship - there was no previous history of agreement on what was acceptable
    2. While they engaged in certain foreplay activities, the victim then clearly shut this down until possibly the following morning- maybe this was alcohol related or maybe just she decided that’s what she wanted- either way the instruction was clear
    3. Whether to the court or to the Gardai or to her or to all 3, he admitted sexual assault (feeling breasts) while she was asleep -in addition, he was on top of her while she slept so it appears to be more than a gentle caress - we don’t have the full detail here (and may never have it or indeed she may never have it) but when she awoke it obviously affected her greatly -
    4. Finally, and actually quite simply, if you admit to fondling someone’s breast whilst they are asleep and they haven’t given you consent to do that, that is simply, sexual assault, and if they then pursue a criminal case against you, it’s inevitable you’ll be found guilty- I don’t see “reasonable doubt” here, at all

The victim feels the way the victim feels and they took the course of action they took. The fact that another person may have felt differently about the event doesn’t come into play

It’s a sad case; but hopefully there’s some learning here too for some people who read it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

Caroline Flack, smashes a lamp over her boyfriends head when he's asleep, get's arrested and then tops herself before she faces justice, now lauded on social media as a victim by women and someone who was hounded to suicide. Interesting comparison.

#bekind

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Amenhotep

Sad story, she regretted it, decided she would be vindictive and ruin the guys life over it.

Whats gonna happen is guys will be afraid of approaching women in the future, will just lead to guys using hookers more imo ..

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭foxsake

i read the consent was for sexual intercourse - not for the foreplay activities that they did,.

he didn't have sex with her or attempt it after her initial no to intercourse.

he isn't a creep - well based on what is in the paper I don't see he didn't anything wrong.

even if you argue he did wrong , the consequences do not fit any by any measure what he. he is now convicted as sexual assault. the prison (or not) is irrelevant - that is all society will see.

that puts him on the same level as one of these dirtbags - the one who wasn't convicted of rape but sexual assault . is that fair ?

if anything this case will make men wake up and lawyer up on this first mention that another party isn't happy after the event which is a terrible indictment of our country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I think whats going to start happening is that guys will just secretly have their phones on record all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

one nights stands are always dangerous imo especially inviting those strangers to your house, male or female.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,369 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

That's a bit disingenuous. I don't think he was done for sexual assault for saying, "Hey are you awake? Fancy a ride?" He was done for starting while she was asleep. Not for waking her up.

You didn't answer my questions. Based on this case, what would you teach your son about consen? And has the fact that the law found this guy guilty, impacted your opinion thst being unconscious affects consent?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Actually RTE have a long piece on it.

The woman said she believed if society supported victims better, she would not have had to deal with such devastating losses. The only person responsible for the relationships and friendships she had lost was Ó Leidhin she said and yet she had been shamed and blamed because of what he did to her.

I noticed this part of of it and she has absolutely every right to believe this but it does seem a little extreme to claim he's responsible for all her own personal relationships. I hope she can find some personal peace and healing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,808 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Demonize is a strong word, but yeah he's a creep, climbing on top of an unconscious women is creepy, Doing it to a woman who already told you no to sex is fcuking creepy.

It could happen to any man, If only there was some way we could avoid it? Like is there any scenario where we won't be found guilty of sexually assaulting a woman? Anything at all?

But hey, He stopped assaulting her when she woke up, what a hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,232 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

In the case from the facts I have seen I would not find guilty of sexual assault. I have a doubt and thats enough.

There is no plausible route to come to that conclusion given the defendant admitted it. You can't consent when you are asleep, the law is crystal on that.

As for the judge not tempering the victim impact statement, I wouldn't be too sure about that, I remember a more contentious case which revolved around not using a condom where the judge did just that.

Mr Justice Butler noted the woman in her victim impact statement indicated she was in fear of the accused and afraid of him coming at her with a knife or sledgehammer. He said there had been no suggestion of any such violence or any violence at all other than the rape

• Registered Users Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭Christy42

I really, really didn't think that don't get on top of sleeping people unless you know how they will react was a hot take. It really isn't hard and is really f'in obvious. It is really, really simple.

No I don't think it could happen to almost any man. My own friends are far, far smarter than that. As am I.

Might in the morning means you find out then, you don't assume it is a yes and then react to the no. If something is a might you assume no until they say otherwise (this goes for anything, if someone says they might loan you some cash don't grab their wallet just to see if they say no).

Yes she went to his bed but maybe she was interested then and changed her mind. Maybe she felt ill from drinking, maybe they went through foreplay, he was muck and killed the mood, maybe it was late and tiredness overtook interest. Honestly who gives a f. She is allowed to change her mind and staying in someone's bed is not a Carte Blanche.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,808 ✭✭✭hynesie08

If a women performs oral sex on you, are you allowed slip it in her mouth when she's asleep?

If your reaction to a woman waking up and telling you to stop is "sorry I'm horny" you are in fact a creep.

He committed and was found guilty of sexual assault, there was a very easy way to avoid that.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

my issue is there was not the blow by blow accounts you have, of the, "he said/did she said/did", "she said she posted etc." you have of Depp/his ex and Rooney/Vardy in Civil trials about ego and lost income of rich people!

They went back to sleep. Later, Ó Leidhin gave the woman a lift home. The court heard they spoke later that day via a phone call and texts in which the woman expressed her unhappiness about what had happened between them. Ó Leidhin called over to her house that evening and they spoke for about an hour.

this is from RTE but lacking in the indo - which I read initially.

she took a lift home to her house - then had him back to her house the next night for "speaking". then waited a year to go to the gardai.

sounds so weird to me .

I'm actually stronger in my opinion that he did nothing wrong and this is vindictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

she was so traumatized by the incident that she couldn't sleep in the weeks after it, but she somehow managed to go back to sleep after it had just happened

weird

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

„Prosecuting counsel John Delaney said they agreed to differ about what had happened the night before and there was no contact between them after that. The woman reported the incident to gardaí in April 2019.“

“This convicted man, used sexual violence as a method of violence towards me," she told the court. She said he had violated her body, her mind, her sense of self and her sense of security in the world. It had impacted, she said, on every facet of her life. The woman said the night of the assault was the last night she would ever go to sleep believing she was safe and the thought someone would sexually violate her while sleeping was beyond comprehension.“

That’s a lot of drama for having reported the incident a year after the event, and after having agreed to differ on the matter. As stated earlier: a mockery..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Majority of sexual encounters occur with alcohol, you can't legally enter an agreement while in intoxicated, so most hook ups after the pub, are done by parties who legally can't consent

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Legally he's on the wrong side of this, which he's accepted. What emerged from this seems to be a much more complex collection of feelings and beliefs. He will get a sentence, which could be custodial, even though a suspended sentence might be the right choice on balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Morning sex often starts by one or the other letting the other know they're horny.

How tf does sex even happen these days if you have to consent to every little thing? 😂

So a man and a woman are in bed and they start to kiss and she puts her hand down to a mans knob, guess that's assault so considering she never had consent?

Stay safe out there lads, there's some absolute nutters out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,847 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

That's fine. I'll just pull you up on it the next time and point out the hypocrisy if you criticise anyone for any bad behaviour if the person has not been convicted of a crime for that behaviour. I'll remind you that your position is that you can not express any negative sentiment towards that behaviour unless a crime is proven.

the only winners here as far as i can see are the puritans.

one liner driveby posts claiming this is a good example of a sexual assault conviction add nothing to the debate around what is and isnt a good case to have come before the courts.

and crowing about the verdict looks as good now as raving about how unfair it was about paddy jackson being found not guilty did back then.

the bar for reaching a courtroom needs to be higher in circumstances as blurry as this, and the ability to grade such occurrences at a low enough scale such that it reflects the circumstances is needed.

nobody wants serious sexual assault to continue with its current pathetic rate of conviction but celebrating the blunt instrument idiotic application of the law in people's beds like this is not going to help that actually serious issue

• Registered Users Posts: 56,256 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Again, over-dramatizing it to paint him in a very bad light.

You are not at all willing to see all the other mitigating circumstances. Even using word "unconscious" to bolster your take.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

• Registered Users Posts: 19,847 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Edit: Apologies to Fandymo. Should take my own advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Yer man mustn't have been told there was an expiration time from when she was perfectly happy for him to be all over her just a few hours before.

What he did is a common move by both men and women to initiate sex after themselves waking up.

I wonder what consent he gave to her to engage in sexual activity earlier in the night??

• Advertisement

i can't agree even if I believed he was wrong legally (which I don't) that a sexual assault conviction is a reasonable or fair outcome.

In the long run , a jail term is irrelevant as people will only see his conviction.

which is the same as one of the lads got from the case I linked above .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement