Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ journalist found guilty of sexually assaulting woman as she slept

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

She was asleep. That’s your expiration time. It’s common knowledge that someone can’t legally consent when they are sleeping. If they’re sleeping, don’t climb on top of them and grope their breasts.

Its really not that difficult to comprehend, folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

more rubbish... no conviction... no crime... sentiments have a little cry...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,491 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

On what legal basis is this conviction unsafe?

Sure they were all fingers and thumbs a few hours earlier is moot.

IMO it's definitely at the low end of the scale and I would be surprised if a custodial sentence was given, but if your claim is there was an error in law and the conviction is unsafe you'll have to offer evidence of this in the parameters of the law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭thefallingman

Would this case go to court if it was two gay men involved ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,118 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Well Pussyhands, there is a spectrum. You couldn't suggest that an agreement to accompany a man back to his place grants him immunity from prosecution for anything he does against the wishes of the girl.

Consent can be withdrawn at any time. Even if you are in the middle of the act. If it is withdrawn, then you have to stop. You're can't do a Magnus Magnusson on it

In this case it was never given. Regardless, the verdict seems harsh and out of proportion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,212 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Just curious as to what was discussed when she met up with him at a later date for over an hour. Seems strange when you are traumatised, suicidal, unable to be near strangers etc. What was she hoping she would get from such a meeting?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

A lot of wives around the country should be quaking in their boots right now so considering it's common for a woman to wake up in the middle of the night and then wrap their arms around their husband. He didn't give consent so a lot of women in this country are sexual deviants according to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,562 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Can you kiss your wife goodbye while she's sleeping?

Don't worry. I do promise to pull you up on any thread you express a negative opinion against anyone's actions where they have not been criminally convicted for those actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

“Have an oul' stab at reading the posts dude before jumping in headfirst and looking silly.” - I was agreeing with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

is this a black and white issue? No

Did he cross the line? Yes

Was it inappropriate? Yes

Was he the first man or woman who did such a thing? No

Was this an offence that warrants losing a job? being on a sex offenders register for life? Potentially a custodial sentence? In my view no.

But it has clearly had a monumental (perhaps disproportionate?) impact on the victim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,212 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I hate when that happens. You're just about to move when you glance at the form and see it's just expired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

It's a very odd one to get your head around...

Two things: She did this purely out of wanting him to suffer and she was not at all traumatized or suicidal or she was genuinely hurt and traumatized and believed what he did was very wrong, and illegal, and wanted him to face court.

I wonder what consent he gave to her to fiddle with him earlier in the evening?

Out of all the women I've had in my bed, none of them have ever asked me if I wanted their hand to touch my knob, they've just gone ahead and done it.

There's implied consent as the actions indicate so. Just like when 2 people get into bed after a night out and start kissing, it's implied that the other is fine with touching each other sexually. Yeah if they say they don't want to be touch, then they stop.

Judging by the comments here, a man and woman on a date and then the man goes in for a kiss at the end of the night, makes him a sex offender now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭thefallingman

rte are beginning to resemble the bbc with deviants and paedos and drug addicts now, we'll have Eoghan Mc D back on soon i'd say doing a show with young girls the way it's going

Obviously couples would have an understanding about what they are happy/not happy with. You would trust that would be established as trust builds in the relationship over time.

However, men have gone to prison for initiating full intercourse while their partner was sleeping. It’s up to you and your partner to establish those boundaries. You’re not free just to do whatever you like, whenever you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,524 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yeah the human mind is weird.

Latent tauma often takes time to manifest. That's pretty well established though. If you're surprised by something that basic, then maybe you're not the best person to make judgements based on your knowledge of human psychology.

That’s a conversation you need to have with your wife.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,507 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Earlier in the evening they were both awake.

When he decided to get started again, she was asleep.

What part of that difference don't you get??

• Advertisement

There's a spectrum Pussyhands.

If the woman woke up in the middle of the night and the fella had his lad inside her, you'd hardly say that that was alright because she had shifted him earlier in the night now would you?

That didn't happen here, and I've already said that I think that it seems very harsh on him. Am merely pointing out there is a spectrum

That was probably the point when she became unconscious. Pretty clear cut, wouldn't you agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Based on this case, what would you teach your son about consent? And has the fact that the law found this guy guilty, impacted your opinion that being unconscious affects consent?

It's odd how some can only think so narrowly, but I suppose it's normal when you're a male feminist. Most men are more likely to tell their sons to never go near a woman, than the nature of consent, as the consent game in the modern world seems to be a minefield, a minefield you're better of staying well away from in the name of total safety. If this stuff continues as is we'll have serious issues in the future among the genders, as both sides will be too afraid to go near each-other for differing reasons. People like yourself don't think of that though, you only think of your narrow world view and how righteous you are, with no care at all for where it leads humanity.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

So you're saying a man and woman go back together after a night out. They have sex and fall asleep.

The next morning the guy cuddles up to the woman and puts his arm around her. According to your definition of consent, she didn't give any consent after her consent was withdrawn, therefore this man is now a sex offender.

Unconscious? 🙄

I better ring the guards after the number of women who initiated sex with me after I fell asleep. Who knew so many women were sex offenders!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I don't like sexual shaming, but at the same time you'd really have to wonder about the men who push stuff like this. Have they ever even been near a woman sexually? As their views on the process of sexual relations seem to be so far away from reality.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,507 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

There's a bit (a lot) of a difference between cuddling up, and straddling a sleeping woman and fondling her breasts, would you agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

I’d say it was more a latent slagging from her friends, consequent embarrassment and then vindictiveness that led to this.

Call the guards if you want. Or don’t. You do you if you were happy with all of that.

However, don’t assume everyone else is. You’re threading a very fine line if you make that assumption.

I don’t believe this ever happened to you anyway because of your clear hatrid for women.

• Advertisement

Is treating this sexual assault by trivialising it, really a good idea? I'll tell you none person who takes consent seriously now, and that's the bloke in this case. He was probably guided by people who share similar attitudes to you, and they didn't do him any favours.

I don't presume this guy is a bad person or intended to harm yer wan (I don't know his intentions) but reading this thread shows there are loads of people who don't understand consent and are presumably teaching their sons that consent isn't important and being unconscious doesn't affect consent.

It's a pretty dangerous and misguided thing to teach young men. Just ask the guy in this case.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement