Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle today part III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Not today, but Saturday 14th. Took part in a charity cycle and it was my first time cycling around in the Wicklow mountains. I really enjoyed it.

Probably took way too much food with me but I feel like I was well fueled and didn't bonk. Route was around the lake, Sally Gap, rest stop in Laragh, Wicklow Gap back to the N81 and then on a bit to the finish.

Not the most amazing effort, but I didn't get off the bike or stop on any of the climbs and passed a few folks on much nicer bikes doing just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

Well done, it's a brilliant cause. I'd intended doing it this year, but got sidetracked

• Registered Users Posts: 14,939 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I don't think so - I see buzzards nearly every time I go out on the bike, kites less often. On Saturday there was at least 6 buzzards doing circles above me near Kilmacurragh, they've become much more common than they were (I don't think I'd ever seen one prior to about 10 years ago).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,558 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

two laps of howth, passed the DWCC folks setting up for the hill climbing competition this evening. a messy windy day for that, seemed to coming from all angles on that course.

Not my cycle but my three-year-old son's. He was done with the balance bike and got him his first pedal bike at Christmas but he was a bit young and didn't take to it so we let it be for a while.

The young lads around the estate were mad cycling this week due to active schools week so we gave it another shot and he just sat up on it, told me he didn't want help and cycled off. He flew up and down the estate for the evening like he'd been doing it for years.

He's obsessed with bikes and has been since he was very young. I hope he gets as much enjoyment out of it as I do.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,558 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

He's obsessed with bikes and has been since he was very young.

what's his opinion on rim brakes vs disc brakes?

that aside, that must be great to see. i can still remember the first time i cycled without stabilisers.

Yeah me too. My dad saying "pedal, pedal, pedal!!!!!!!" I gave both my daughters the same advice when the stabilisers came off 😁

Was only a month or so ago with my youngest, she'll be 4 soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭secman

I remember learning to cycle without stabilisers in St Stephen Green Park, crashed and hit my knee on the wrought iron little rail around the grass, its set at an angle and I needed a stitch in my knee was under 5 years old. ..almost 60 years ago but still remember it. An olive green frame, red mudguards and white fat tyres 😃

Ha, his father has controversially moved to the dark side of late.

He covered the rotors in WD40 a few months ago so you can take it he's not a fan.

Skeleton crew out again today, 14 lads and lasses in Mallorca. Headed from Ballycanew to Gorey for meet up , on to Carnew, Clonegal, Bunclody and on towards Enniscorthy Turned at Scarawalsh roundabout back to Ferns , Camolin, Gorey and back to Ballycanew.

90kms , 611 meters and 30.6 kph avg

Blessed to miss the showers, we seemed to be following the clouds and only getting wet roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Club spin today and a bit more after. 115km.

Got wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

Tramore-Kilkenny by the scenic route yesterday, quiet flat backroads from Waterford to near Carrick, then turned north up a 5.5km drag before dropping down to Kells, Callan and on to Kk on more backroads. Essentially a flat route with a huge lump in the middle:

83km, 630m @ just under 23km/h

did the Miners Cross Audax on Saturday. First time doing an Audax or 200, I'd never done much more than 100km previously.

It was a fairly tough route, very lumpy going up what seemed like every short sharp hill in east and south Wicklow, but beautiful countryside, quiet roads and good company (the weather was pretty decent too). Good selection of food at the control points. The last 50km was very tough as I didn't have much left in the legs; my granny gear got a good workout.

Total for the day - 220km; 3500m ascent; a shade under 20km/h

got called out today by a motorist for 'parking' at a junction; i'd pulled in in curragha to figure out where the biblical rain had been or was heading for and a motorist called out the window 'are you a motorist?'

'i am?'

'well, why are you parked on a junction so?' and he drove off.

Commute from office up Greenhills Road and up the embankment, Lisheen south , and upby Three Castles into Blessington. Back the main road and discovered that a long stretch from just past the Lamb to almost Brittas is being recovered in tar but at the moment is in a stripped state...the vibrations cycling over it is brutal...😪 back down embankment and home.

49km 369 m and avg 28 kph.

Nippy enough in summer kit 😨

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Nice spin up to Drogheda this morning via Oldtown, Garristown & Duleek, then back via Bettystown, Laytown, Naul & Swords. I'd never cycled that far north from Dublin before and it showed in my choice to take the main road from Duleek into Drogheda! Such a contrast from the rest of my spin where I had empty roads almost the whole way. Decent westerly breeze but otherwise was a beautiful morning to be out.

116km, 784m, 26.1kph.

https://www.strava.com/activities/7210305647

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

92k around south Meath. Stamullen, duleek, slane, walterstown, kilmessan, dunsaughlin, skryne. 900m climbing too surprisingly.

Then another 35k this evening from there back to the seaside. Not much climbing at all but started it with a spin up skryne hill.

Some day for it. Perfect weather for the bike.

And yes Mr Spuckler I avoided all but about 20 yards of Duleek Drogheda road. One I stay well away from always

I actually don't particularly mind the short stretch of the R152 back to Drogheda if it's early doors, I'll usually swing left after Platin as that leaves me closer to home and that smell of stew or curry from John's Centra further towards town is something after a spin so I avoid it 😁

Ballycanew to Gorey , Arklow, Woodenbridge, Rathdrum, across Deputy Pass and on to the Beehive, Jack Whites, Arklow, Gorey and back to Ballycanew.

103 km, 670 meters, avg 31.4kph

Bit windy too

• Registered Users Posts: 14,386 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

ballyshannon Killough rossinver saddle Hill Manor Hamilton and back to ballyshannon. Great day for it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Did the Tour de Conamara on Sat (along with hundreds of others). Met folk that I hadn't seen in ages so it was good to meet up.

The group I was with were doing a decent pace. The 5 of us merged with a similar number from Belfast's Phoenix Cycling Club and brought each other on.

However when we reached the first rest stop, my rear tubeless tyre had a puncture. Sealant wasn't holding it closed. Tried a small rubber seal which didn't work. Tried a large rubber seal which didn't work. Went to the mechanic stationed at the food-stop to see if he had a puncture repair kit - he didn't. Did he have a tube for me which I reckoned he wouldn't (28mm but with the 55mm rims so I'd need a long valve). thankfully, he had one in his tool kit. Sound man, he took the tyre off and put the tube in getting himself covered in the tyre sealant in the process. Then we discover that there wasn't just enough length on the 80mm valve so the track pump couldn't latch on. Tried my pump and also my CO2 but none worked. In the end, I held the head of the track pump against the valve and he pumped and got it inflated. ~200kms on my new tubeless rims before I had to put a tube in them - not impressed!

It wasn't long after that when one of the lads was starting to get a bit cramped. After the second stop, the cramp meant he was lagging behind but we stuck together anyhow.

Made it back to Clifden and had the complimentary burger and far far far too many pints leaving me badly hungover on Sunday 🤕

Good craic, good company, smashing weather overshadowed by a PITA from the Vredestein Fortezza tyre

Just over 140km @ 28.2km/h with 1100m of up.

https://www.strava.com/activities/7217149259

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭ARX

I was just thinking yesterday that there's nothing as cruel as the smell of a chipper when you're 40 km from home!

had my first serious fall off the road bike, which is probably not bad going after 12 years. Coming to the bottom of the Enniskerry bends intending to go over the footbridge, I foolishly attempted to bunny hop onto the path at the last gate entrance before the bridge. Unfortunately the path was not as low as I thought, my wheel clipped the kerb and I went flying across the ground and banged my head against the wall.

The helmet did it's job, but my neck took a lot of the impact and is pretty sore today, along with my elbow and knee getting somewhat de-skinned. More importantly, the bike is fine and my clothes seem to have survived. I think I probably got lucky all things considered, we get nine lives right?

Anyway, 60km and 1100m climbing @ 21km/h (the last 10km somewhat slower than the rest as I trundled home feeling sorry for myself).

for the second time in recent weeks, i had to come to a near stop due to a gaggle of geese loose on the road a couple of km south of oldtown. maybe that should go in the road conditions warning thread.

Reminds me that I saw a swan take off from the Boyne over the weekend. The only reason I saw it was because I heard it from behind me first and I was wearing headphones!!!! The whoosh from the wings of something that big taking off is quite something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Used to do a lot of kayaking, flat water training etc.

Scary noise and worse sight when you're not used to it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I was kayaking on Suit between, Cahir and Newcastle and we were slowly gaining on a herd of 10 swans or so. Maybe going from 300m to 100m over 10/15mins.

Two swans got up and fly back upstream and shortly after flew back downstream before returning to the herd.

Within about 2 mins they all turned around and in V formation came straight for us, and went they finally got airborne and above us they probably cleared us by 2-3m.

Fear and awe in equal measure.

The collective noun when airborne is a wedge and a bank when on ground. Herd, game flight and bevy can also be used it seems 😊

Yeah the one I saw flew about 2m above the water for about 200m I'd say. Not something you'd want to see coming towards you in a kayak.

Got out last night after 7pm and still managed 60km.

Did a long threshold effort up a good climb and down the other side, hoping for a PB and a trophy.

Was going well when I reached the plateau at the top when I happened upon a game of road bowling (not unusual in my neck of the woods). The game didn't seem to be in play but there was loads of betting going on. As usual, the men were on the road and tried to intimidate me into going off down a different road road which would add about 20km to my spin so I just kept going, albeit slowly, while running the gauntlet. They weren't happy and I got some abuse for continuing (not unusual) but they had no permission to be stopping people and I had to get home. Got going again but lost my momentum.

Got a nice chase from a spaniel later in the ride, but he hadn't any speedwork done so I was able to sprint away from him as soon as the road levelled. Nipped my pedal a few times but I didn't panic.

Took a minute off my PB for the up and over the hill effort which was nearly 14k in total but the 30 seconds or so I lost to the bowling cost me my trophy, four seconds off a top 10.

Overall, 60km with 650m climbing at 31kph. Lovely spin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭De Bhál

one of the lesser heard group Cycling calls

"Goose Down"

Advertisement