Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So "X" - nothing to see here. Elon's in control - Part XXX **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

It looks like twitter might in fact, like Facebook, be misleading advertisers in terms of the exposure their ads get. Effectively, that twitter could be a bit fraudulent (like Facebook). The inactive versus active and bot account issue is starting to really upset the Twitter omerta and I see the CEO had a big rant about the matter without bringing much clarity on the matter.

If all of this leads to twitter getting taken down a few pegs then I have to welcome it. These Silicon Valley vehemoths are far too big and, if they won't be forcibly broken up, then anything that hurts their influence has to be welcomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

The under 5% estimate provided by Twitter had so many caveats and assumptions that it is completely meaningless with Twitter unable or unwilling to stand over the figure.

I doubt we will ever hear the true figure, but any reduction in the share purchase price will tell it’s own story.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,701 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Story going around since last night about a software engineer at Twitter who was recorded in a conversation saying that Twitter only censors right-leaning views and is purposefully biased.

When I saw the headlines, my first thought was that it was probably one of those Project Veritas things, the group who have been found faking such "leaked videos" etc before. Sure enough, it is directly from Project Veritas and pretty much the only Google results for the engineer's name on the first few pages are all links to articles about the Project Veritas video. Like the guy never existed before about 8 hours ago despite being high enough in Twitter to know the policies on censoring groups. Not to mention the vast amount of right-wing stuff that Twitter does allow which makes his point completely redundant.

Just said I'd give the heads up before someone comes onto the thread claiming there's a leaked video from someone at Twitter who says they purposefully censor the right on Twitter. The video and all articles stemming from it come from an account of a group of known liars.

It's.......... Project Veritas' account.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,331 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

It sounds like Twitter employs a lot of work shy commies.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Wow, I could not have timed that better...

• Advertisement

who else is doing undercover journalism? an easy guess. the trick now would be to go off and find that this guy is an actor and doesnt work for Google at all.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Immediately dismissing something as not true because of its source is just as bad as believing a conspiracy. A reasonable person waits and sees if it's true or not.

When the source is Project Veritas, it's entirely reasonable to dismiss it.

if it helps you sleep but if the guy is an engineer at Twitter and he is more forthcoming because his defenses are down the full clip ( i assume this is just an excerpt) should be entertaining.

If it's shown to be 100% true, will you continue to dismiss it as false?

• Advertisement

Of course not. If it's shown to be 100% true, then I'll consider it to be true.

However going on Project Veritas' record, I'd be shocked if it's even proven to be 10% true.

Well as long as you accept if it turns out to be true, that is reasonable. I won't even bother watching it until it's verified.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,984 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

There's been no visible downside to de-platforming disinformation. No idea why people would welcome the idea of a completely uncensored Elon style Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I can't believe they gave that twitter engineer a script and made him read from it. Project Veritas are so evil and so forth

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Remember when the lab leak was a conspiracy and fake news because Trump said it, then when he was out of office it resurfaced as a likely scenario. Funny how the truth is conveniently ignored when it doesn’t fit the narrative. The mainstream media really have shown themselves to be unreliable and biased. No wonder people believe some of the crazy theories/stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Cordell

Because any visible downside has been deplatformed as well. And because it will be like a breath of fresh air :)

I don't know about you but I'd like to be able to judge the information myself rather than having someone else do that for me.

The current scientific consensus was and still is that the virus is zoonotic in origin. Investigations have been unable to confirm it, therefore other theories, for which there is less consensus (e.g. lab leak) cannot be ruled out.

Early in the pandemic, Trump engaged in speculation that it was released by accident or intentionally. That did not reflect US intelligence beliefs at the time (although it couldn't be ruled out) it's likely that speculation was off-the-cuff.

Also whenever I see the phrase "mainstream media", alarm bells go off.

You might be fine at filtering information, the problem is the general public. If false information is not filtered it can become the "truth" for portions of the public, sometimes a significant portion. As we've seen before, that can pose dangers for society.

Populists and charlatans have shown how relatively simple it is to convince millions of people of completely false information using social media and the internet. Modern disinformation is very clever and pre-empts attempts to counter it with correct information.

During the pandemic for example, just about every internet platform or social media platform had to take action to curb the spread of harmful medical disinformation simply because of the unfortunate fact that people cannot be trusted to "decide for themselves what's true or not".

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

If false information is not filtered it can become the "truth" for portions of the public, sometimes a significant portion. As we've seen before, that can pose dangers for society

Yes, it is a danger. But an even bigger danger is entrusting a private for profit entity to filter the truth. A much bigger one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Who decides what is or isnt disinformation?

Thats the problem - as soon as you add in some kind of censor or editor you will be curating content based on that person's bias. It is the case with every newspaper, media channel, and social media. There are plenty of things in the world that are neither definitively true or false, or at least are highly contested.

Most scientific discoveries and philosophical ideas come out of a healthy discourse - shutting opinions down because you take a questionable hardline on the subject is not a healthy discourse, and is ultimately regressive in nature.

People who think that Twitter under Musk's ownership is going to be some sort of mecca for free speech are really going to get a rude awakening one way or the other.

Case #1 It will be an absolute shitshow akin to 4Chan. (Although I'm sure some on here will love that because it seems that's where they get their info from anyway)

Case #2 It won't be anything near a free speech platform, which renders all the yap from certain quarters as the usual hot air.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Man last seen holding copper rod on hilltop during lightning storm found electrocuted. Cause of death unknown.

Statistically what are the odds of the virus not coming from that lab but surfacing so close to it?

Twitter isn't anywhere close to being a platform for "healthy discourse" though, is it. It was never designed for discourse. It was designed for quick shout outs and to find out what your mates were doing. It doesn't have the scope to allow for actual discourse, unlike a platform like Boards for example.

Twitter is a load of mic drops in 150+ characters. There's no ability for nuance. No ability for expansion on an idea. No ability to construct a decent, logical, argument. It's people shouting soundbites and, in some cases, merely spreading propaganda that they know to be false. Which is the very reason that there needs to be some kind of moderation there.

Otherwise you'll have idiots believing shite like the Democrats have pedo rings in the basements of pizza joints and then deciding to take matters into their own hands because some guy on Twitter said it was true.

Not really, it's a region that receives food etc from remote areas of China. Remote areas are also where deadly viruses tend to originate. Plus I'd suspect it's advantageous for such a lab to be in such an area since it's where viruses do surface.

Otherwise you'll have idiots believing shite

Such is life. You also have idiots believing shite like given that Twitter is censored and curated and fact checked all there is there is the truth.

Just the other day some idiot shot up a load of people because he believed the "great replacement" conspiracy lie.

There's people's lives at stake here. That supersedes a silly desire to read baseless nonsense in the name of "free speech".

"Such is life" indeed. 🙄

Expert consensus is a key example.

There is constant normal and healthy debate between scientists, historians, academics, etc. That bears no relation to false or unsubstantiated information. So when it comes to a situation of judging information, the expert consensus is the best guideline.

Of course there are grey areas, but for the more black/white stuff the above applies.

If anyone could post anything on Twitter tomorrow, it would be consumed with fringe views, hate speech, everything, because extreme views thrive in any completely unfettered scenario. The volume of nonsense one fanatic can produce is extraordinary, often producing it far faster than it can be debunked/addressed. Just to pull stats, something like 12 individuals/groups are responsible for over 60% of global anti-vaccine disinfo.

I would rather have the danger of that than having some twit deciding what is true and what is not true based on his personal opinions thank you very much.

Also I think that lunatic was more into violent racist stuff which is clearly illegal and not a matter of opinion. This is where you are confused, I'm not against filtering out illegal content, I'm only against filtering out opinions that don't align with the opinions of the people doing the filtering, or the ones paying them.

• Advertisement

I would rather have the danger of that than having some twit deciding what is true and what is not true based on his personal opinions thank you very much.

You'd rather have people getting murdered than have a social media platform regulate lies.

Fuckin hell.

Advertisement