Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2022

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭RoTelly

This really makes Eurovision geopolitical, which is exactly what many are trying to say it is not. Same for the Romanian remarks.

Do you have any more info?

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Post edited by deise08 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,085 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Downloaded the Moldova song.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

So what was the story about the jury results not being used for some countries? What is the accusation or implied accusation? Were the jury's scheming together to give X country certain scores?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,443 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I liked Brooke’s song. It is very catchy. May be it’s overly Americanised bubble gum pop that didn’t go down well with European audiences? We keep doing so shite- maybe it’s the music or Europeans don’t like us! Though the U.K. came second this year after brexit and all that poison

It’s a pity they don’t split the U.K. into it’s constitute countries and the north back with is- potentially 3 twelves for Ireland and vice Versa each year!!!

Bizarre France, Holland and Lux didn’t have the funds then- they’re europes richest nations!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Wales: England 12 points

Scotland: Ireland 12 point

Ireland: Scotland 12 points

England: France 12 points

Wales: :/

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Howok

Iceland and Moldova have great songs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

They seem to have been repeat/recent winners who clearly didn't want to go again, or some other exceptional circumstances.

Netherlands had won 2 of the first 4 and the concept of 'winner hosts' wasn't yet enshrined, so giving it to someone else possibly seemed 'the decent thing'.

France had won for the 3rd time in 5 years.

Luxembourg had won as hosts, so hosting two years running was probably regarded as an unfair stretch financially. (Looking at the below list no-one hosted 2 in a row until the 1990s)

List of Eurovision Song Contest winners - Wikipedia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,821 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If you liked this year's entry from Iceland, check out Netherlands entry The Common Linnets from a few years back...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pnott

In the 2nd semi final 6 countries reported results from their juries that were ‘irregular’ according to the EBU and were replaced with results based on the pots each country is placed in to determine what semi final they participate in. As in the results that the EBU used for those countries was based on their historical voting patterns. The Danish broadcaster is accusing those 6 countries of exchanging votes to ensure qualification. In the final however the results of the Romanian, Azerbaijani and Georgian juries were altered by the EBU without explanation hence the reason why those three countries are seeking clarification. The EBU supervisor on the night announced the results of those three countries himself which he stated was due to technical issues. The Romanian, Azerbaijani and Georgian broadcasters say they had no technical issues at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^

hmmmmmmmmmmm

was it a case of Russian hackers trying to spoil the party?😶 all the countries mentioned above are from the former soviet bloc

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Nah, just the usual vote swapping that happens between juries every year at Eurovision. Bit unusual for six countries from one semi final to be doing it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The lyrics to the Serbian song:

"

What’s the secret to Meghan Markle’s healthy hair?
    What's the secret?
    What’s the secret to Meghan Markle’s healthy hair?
    What's the secret?
    I think it's about deep hydration
    Say that
    Everything is clearly visible on the skin and hair
    For example, dark circles around the eyes
    They indicate liver problems
    Stains around the lips, maybe an enlarged spleen?
    An enlarged spleen is not good, it is not beautiful
    And the artist must be healthy
    Be healthy, be healthy
    To be healthy, to be-to-be-to-be healthy
    Be healthy, be healthy
    I have to, I have to, I have to
    It is a great happiness that it exists
    Autonomic nervous system
    I don't have to control my heart rate
    The heart beats, the heart just beats
    On a bright summer day
    My skirts on my body
    My skirts, the dog and me
    The two of us walk, count the steps
    The skirt goes around my leg
    We walk and that's it
    And it doesn't have to be better, the heart just beats
    I give confidence, let him just knock
    I give confidence, let it knock, let it breathe
    God of health, God of health, God of health
    I don't have a booklet
    So how to follow me
    To take care of me
    The artist is invisible
    You don't see me, it's magic
    An artist can be healthy
    Be healthy, be healthy
    To be healthy, to be-to-be-to-be healthy
    Be healthy, be healthy
    It can, it can, it can
    In corpore sano, in corpore sano
    The corpus is sanum and what do we do now?
    I have to go to the bathroom
    Animus tristis in corpore sano
    I was expecting nothing in the body
    I am in a bad situation
    And what do we do now?

from google translate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Treedays

Really enjoyed this years competition. After listening to the whole playlist on spotify a few times over the last week, I find Portugal and Iceland's have really grown on me. Especially Portugal, it is such a beautifully composed and performed song. What's strange is the first time hearing all the songs watching the semi-finals, the ones I enjoyed most were the kind of "mad" ones (Norway, Serbia, Moldova, Latvia, Finland, Czech Republic). Found the slower ones a little boring at first, but Portugal's has that kind of lasting power as a song I could see myself still listening to it 10 years from now. Shocked that Spain finished ahead of them.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

+1 on Portugal surprised it didn't score higher, and the Girl who sang it is peaches & cream 😍 beautiful...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

In other words, the whole thing stinks a bit. Not the end of the world exactly but further devalues the 'competition'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

young attractive and putting the hard work gigging on their own in europe

Ukranian broadcasting bods are meeting with the EBU this Friday over Eurovision 2023 being held there.

https://wiwibloggs.com/2022/05/17/will-ukraine-host-eurovision-2023-tv-boss-says-ebu-consultations-will-start-on-friday/272523/

Ireland are in such a bad place that i'd say they would sh1t themselves if they had to take a chance on a brave song, The serbian entry would never have been sent by us and it's absolute belter!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I'd love to know what songs are being sent to RTÉ for Eurovision. There's usually around 300 or so every year, the tripe we're presented with on the Late Late can't be the best of the lot. I'd bet there's plenty of decent/underground artists who send in good stuff to RTÉ and it's turned away for the likes of Brooke Scullion and Brendan Murray. Imagine if RTÉ were sent a song like Shum, not a hope in hell they'd put it forward for selection.

am i right in saying - that if Ukraine got zero in the jury vote they still would have won???😶

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,821 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

No UK (466) and Spain (459) had more votes than Ukraine's popular vote (449).

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

but only just,

Damn it!!! i knew i should have put money on Ukraine back in March but 'some' of you folk on this thread cautioned me out of it😣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

From what I've heard, an 'Irish Shum' was actually submitted but wasn't in the final line-up.

• Advertisement

The Portugal song is a grower, reminded me of Laspley…

And another song which I’ve been going crazy trying to name - a bit like Laspley (could even be her), but could be Irish - think SOAK, Wallis Bird etc.

I say that as it’s been used in an ad recently on RTE Radio 1 (possibly for a car) and John Creedon has played it a lot. Can anybody name this song before Welsh Megaman go something something?

Advertisement