Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTÉ journalist found guilty of sexually assaulting woman as she slept

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Teacher2020

The word groping was used in the article. You can use any excuse you like to defend him but what he did was wrong and I hope they give him a severe sentence to send a message to all the people who think this behaviour is acceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

as i said earlier , the lesson is if a woman ever starts this kind of thing , ask her to leave immedietely , once she no longer has any interest in sexual activity , her reason for being there in the first place is erased , she is effectively a stranger in youre house who could potentially steal from you or anything

i dont bring back people to my house to merely nap beside me in bed , its always been this way too and its served me well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

I'm not defending him, I'm just pointing out that people get touched all the time when asleep , but to me the main point is when she said stop he stopped .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Right, So you knew if the other person would be into it by non verbal cues and body language, Has anybody here argued with that? The only lads here talking about contracts and nightlights probably need to stick their hard drive in the microwave.

No-one is saying that a vebal yes has to be communicated every 90 seconds for it to be consent, what the rational people are saying is a communicated No and falling asleep are very much refusal of consent and if you ignore them you are a creep, and if you defend someone ignoring them, you are a creep.

(I'm not referring to you BTW)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

I wonder what did she expect him to do after meeting him to discuss the situation because of the way she felt after their encounter...they couldn't undo what ever happened but she obviously expected some kind of recompense for her grievances towards him?

Fair enough.

To me it's simple , she said stop, he stopped and said sorry I'm horny.

Now I dont know what he said to guards etc but based on all this consent we hear about, being asked to stop and then stopping seems straightforward to me

I would like to know why it took so long for it to be reported because something doesnt add up here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Assuming you're right (I'd ask what evidence you have to reach that conclusion but I doubt you have any), then they're two very different things aren't they. One is sexual assault, the isn't. Similar to if you walked down the town ccenter and got mugged - you might regret your decsion but its not really the point as the mugger is the one who committed a crime. So they're pretty different categories of decision.

You can trivialise the bloke's decision if you want, and say its the same as the woman’s decision, but it would miss the entire point what's happened, wouldn't it?

You know the law better than the courts? It doesn't seem so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

• Advertisement

I do feel sorry for the bloke in this instance (assuming he shared the same last of knowledge consent that's on display in this very thread, thennhe might not have known he was committing a sexual assault.

He now has the double whammy of discovering he's committed a sexual assault, is a sex offender and has caused trauma to someone when he didnt intend to. That's a tragedy on all fronts.

There are loads of people in this thread telling you they would do the same and not consider it a crime. There's a severe lack of knowledge and discussion around consent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

he didnt " have sex with her " !

anyone who cant read a piece properly would want to have a long hard look at themselves

"She said the assault had left her traumatised and feeling lost in the world. She said she was sexually violated when she was at her most vulnerable.

She said the night of the attack was the last time she would ever go to sleep feeling safe from attack."

So traumatised that she actually went back asleep and it took a year for her to report it ?

Last time she would ever go to sleep feeling safe from attack ( she went asleep right after said attack)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

Getting on top of someone and groping them as they sleep is sinister as ****. Goes way beyond a gentle attempt to initiate sex.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Once again, this is a criminal trial, not a civil one.

The lengths people will go to defend this.

In your heart of hearts, don't you see what the problem is with what he did? Initiating sex with an unconscious person, without consent is OK by you as long as they stop when told to do so? You see no issue with Initiating sex with someone who is asleep?

We were discussing the purpose of her meeting with him shortly after the incident Sherlock!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

Can she now issue civil proceedings against him for damages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

Wandered in here. I’ve believed for a long time that going home with a complete stranger while under the influence is a bad idea for everyone - male and female.

• Advertisement

sexually assaulting someone and stopping halfway through because they said no is not consent, please tell me you don't actually think that.

And you know that how? Were you in court when this evidence was presented?

Also, you seem hell bent on defending someone who thinks it’s ok to perform a sexual act on a sleeping person. An insight into your behaviour perhaps?

She wasnt unconscious though was she ?

In your heart of hearts do you not see the problem with her just going back to sleep in the same bed as him after such a "traumatic experience".

Do you seriously not think that a lot of sex has happened from someone initiating sex with someone who has been asleep ?

Wait, you don't think she was asleep or you don't think sleep is a state of unconsciousness?

Sure. Lots of sex is initiated while one person is asleep. If that's thier bag then there's no problem. If it's not their bag, then it's sexual assault. If they've discussed it in advance, then there's consent. It they haven't discussed it then it's in the lap of the gods whether it will be greeted with appreciation or a conviction for sexual assault.

Hope that clears it up.

I have never once had sex with anyone which was initiated from either them or me being asleep, because I know exactly what could happen if I do.

As said, some might like it, but if that’s the game you want to play then see how far it gets you when you find someone who doesn’t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

There’s nothing more than a hell of a lot of bravado nonsense talk in this thread tbh. I don’t believe for a minute that any of the lads making claims would do what this man did by climbing on top of a woman while she slept and proceeding to commit sexual assault. Of course he knew what he was doing was wrong, and so do all the lads here winding you up.

Talking about consent or anything else wouldn’t stopped this man doing what he did, it wouldn’t stop anyone who didn’t care that the other person didn’t want to have sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Are you seriously this niave? What do you think she's going to do after the criminal trial now? Civil here we come so he better hope he doesn't have extensive assets yet.

The ridiculous contradictory victim impact statement was all about this. Hamming it up as much as possible. It doesnt even make sense. So traumatized that she went back to sleep that night directly after the incident, let him drive her home, texted him after the incident, met up with him after the incident & then decided over a year later to go ahead with the accusation. Yeah, sounds very traumatized alright.

Unconsciousness is the state in which a person is unable to respond to stimuli and appears to be asleep. They may be unconscious for a few seconds — as in fainting — or for longer periods of time. People who become unconscious don't respond to loud sounds or shaking.

If I was asleep and someone was touching me I would know, but If I was unconscious i wouldn't know !

Look if you're not bright enough to keep up with what's being discussed then that is your problem entirely!

• Advertisement

It's not a game, it happens.

i have been asleep and my partner has initiated sex with me, sometimes I have responded and sometimes have said " not happening"

Same applies the other way around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

Do you ever get tired posting complete and utter scutter?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭vegandinner

That woman sounds like a danger to society. I hope she doesn’t live near me or my family or friends.

I find it difficult to convict this man considering what happened straight after with her falling asleep, waking up and being driven home, initiating contact, meeting up, agreeing to disagree on what happened, and then a year later reporting to the cops....

I'd hate to think this was her doing this as some sort of 'eff you revenge scenario,' but from what we know, there was no violence, terror, intimidation used here. She woke to a man trying to be intimate with her after both having been intimate already, told him no and he stopped and they fell asleep.

Did this really need to go to court and for this man to now have his life ruined?

How many females have had similar scenarios where they would think that was a bit odd/off/scary/not right, but don't end up going to court over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭tjhook

My default position is to put trust in what a jury has decided - they've heard and seen far more of the case than I have. I felt that way following the NI Paddy Jackson case, and I'd feel similarly in this case even though the outcome is different.

I like the principle that if you break a law, you take your punishment and then your debt to society is paid. However it doesn't apply to any crime tagged "sexual".

It may be that this offence lies on the milder end of the scale. If it is, and if he had instead been found guilty of slapping some randomer that he's had an argument with, I might consider that a more serious incident. But this case will probably ruin his life, follow him forever, even if the judge also thinks it's less serious. To be fair, it's theoretical for now as we won't know how serious/mild it is seen to be until the judge gives sentence.

OK. Have it your way. Sleep is a type of unconscious as I see it but were agreed she was asleep in this case, right? So not awake and not able to consent until whenever she woke up, right?

In response to your second question about initiating sex with someone who is asleep: Sure. Lots of sex is initiated while one person is asleep. If that's thier bag then there's no problem. If it's not their bag, then it's sexual assault. If they've discussed it in advance, then there's consent. It they haven't discussed it then it's in the lap of the gods whether it will be greeted with appreciation or a conviction for sexual assault.

Hope that clears it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

No one on this thread or in the court case, has said that, or tried to have sex with an unconscious person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭Homelander

The details and timeline of the case do seem really unusual but at the root of it all, climbing on top of a sleeping stranger and groping them isn't acceptable.

I think people are equating two different scenarios together and summarizing that they're equal.

Having had sexual contact with an effective stranger earlier that night and later you attempt to rouse them subtly is one thing.

But it's absolutely not the same as them abruptly waking up to find you've climbed on top of them and are groping them.

Nothing as reported indicates it was the former so I'm not sure why people are concluding that it was or must have been.

Maybe I am missing something.

But if he was intent on assaulting her would he have stopped ?

Also you missed my question about her going back asleep in the same bed as man she claims assaulted her shortly before ?

Oh she’ll seek damages now will she?

Give us the lotto numbers there while you’re at it pal.

Christ some of the incel, misogynistic bile being spouted here makes you wonder about how some people think when they’re holed up in a box room fighting with people on the internet.

It seems that he himself really convicted himself with his honesty on what happened, possibly believing that what happened was not sexual assault in the sense of real dangerous and predatory. There is always context and levels and shades to this, and he may have felt that what happened was him not in any way being a menace, or dangerous or wanting to hurt; evidenced by his stopping when she said no.

I cannot fathom how anyone could not feel some symapthy for him here. Doesn't mean you have no feelings for the female.

• Advertisement

The irony of you questioning anyone’s intelligence while you seem completely unaware of what consent is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

In reality this situation isn't really something that should result in a conviction. He touched her she said stop, he complied. They had been engaged in similar or perhaps more intimate touching previously.

I think his biggest mistake was apologising as he was admitting a more serious wrong doing.

For all the usual suspects here beating their usual drums, there's no hope of getting a reasonable discussion on a topic like this from them so why bother? Nothing is ever taken on board, just let them be.

Glazers Out!

She was asleep.

She can’t consent while sleeping.

Why do some people struggle with this fact?

And she said stop and he stopped. He apologised and said he was horny. It wasnt some random he saw flat out unconscious on the street and decided he would have sex with her

This girl was so traumatised she went back asleep in the same bed as him.

I'm well aware of what consent is.

Consent was when she was OK with him feeling her up in his bed which she got into it.

The bit that throws me is when he tried it again shortly after,she said no, he stopped but over the next 12 months she became suicidal, and traumatised .

But he was doing it while she slept!

When she is sleeping, it does not give him the right to do whatever he wants to her until she wakes up and says stop. He just helped himself while she was not in a position to say otherwise.

What part of that is so difficult for you?

Don’t think you’re aware of what consent is at all.

You also conveniently miss the part where he just helped himself while she was in no position to tell him otherwise. Why is that?

Do you think it’s ok to commit sexual acts on anyone you see fit while they sleep and are not in a position to say no?

The part where she was so traumatised that she tried to kill herself , yet took a year to report and stayed in the same bed of the man she claims assaulted her ' and then got into a car with him and let him know where she lived !

"The court heard that she was annoyed at the man and told him that she was clearly asleep."

"he woman said she went back to sleep. Later that night he drove her home and over the following days she texted the defendant expressing annoyance at what had happened."

You said he just helped himself, How do you know he was not trying to pleasure her ?

So in your mind consent is permanent and can't be revoked? consent then applies to every situation (asleep, showering, on the bus)?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I wonder did something happen her before reporting him that caused her to go on a man hating spree? She has ruined the mans reputation, he'll never get a journo job again and anyone googling his name will bring up that he's now a convicted sex offender. If there was a gofundme to support this man I would contribute.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement