Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

It's factory that is buying them up this way anyway, some of the smaller factories that appear to have good lucrative contracts. I hear it was a was a ring side factory agent that bought these cattle in Roscommom too...

Post edited by Anto_Meath on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Killed 3 serious bullocks a couple of years ago all a little over 500kg dead off grass and a good bit of meal for 8-10 weeks. U+ 3- and they killed out at 58%. Maybe they’d kill out better out of the shed but never had a bullock kill out 60%. Good bulls maybe. Maybe the scales is weighing a bit heavy or yours a bit light.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,520 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

At 5.5/ kg first bunch would want to kill 69% DW allowing for mart& slaughter fees as well as transport. That not allowing for a buyer fee.

That up on a pigs K/O

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭DBK1

Scales here is accurate anyway. Best I ever had was 2 heifers that killed 62%. But then that would vary from factory to factory. There’s 4 factories around here and kill-outs would vary massively between them. Easily 6-8% of a variation from best to worst.

Now 5 cent a kilo extra is easily available in the worst one but that would be the dearest 5 cent a lad would ever get.

You only start learning all these things when you start weighing cattle in your own yard.

Mart weight could be anything from 5-8% less than fresh weight in the yard. A 750kg mart weight would easily have been 800kgs fresh weight. A 58% kill-out on 800kgs gives 464kgs dw. Divide that back into the 750kg mart weight and it’s almost 62% kill-out on the mart weight.

The lads buying these cattle in the marts are not stupid. They know their figures, they know what stock will kill out at and they know what to pay for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭smallbeef

You'd love to know what the factories are instructing the buyers. They must be promised a base price of 5.30+

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭leoch

Would the lads buying them be allowed to kill them straight away no minimum residency in herd number I mean ??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,949 ✭✭✭893bet

It’s the factories buying them. The can be over age, over fat and lame but they need to fill their contract.

Prefer to over pay on 20 percent than raise the base a tiny bit again.

@893bet that's exactly it, the lads buying them are on a days wage or some much ahead. They are told how many they have to buy & get as many as are needed. Base price doesn't matter to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Exactly when they want the chills filled the price doesn’t matter, buy and get them on the line. Kill out on big cattle with age can be surprisingly more than some lads think. When worked in the factory the big feeders cattle came in the afternoon and straight to the line for the best kill out possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

Not a price issue as such. I sold livestock on April 12 in mart in the SE. I rang them after 2 week to see where the cheque was and they reissued me a new one. That never arrived. I rang last Friday to arrange payment over the phone and they never got back. Has this ever happened to others? The manager blamed An Post.

• Advertisement

I be calling to collect a cheque. That smell fishy.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭White Clover

I agree with Bass. Sold cattle myself in Castleisland a couple of weeks ago on a Wednesday and had the cheque on the Friday or Monday. Can't remember which, but I thought it very quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

I have a 36 month old Black LimX heifer that I thought might be in calf but isn't. She's looks fat and finished and weighs 705kg.

Mart or Factory and roughly how much should she make, and will her age over 30 months go against her?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Mart I'd imagine, bord bia bonus gone over 36 month, factory agent may cover it when he's buying her in the ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Thks.

2200 would be a great price if I got it, it would more than cover the lack of a calf from her after feeding her all winter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

Just off phone and payment will be into my bank account

Assuming she is an R+ heifer she should gross about 1900-1950 in the factory. That is what you should remember if she goes to the mart. There is QA bonus as she is over 36 months. I am assuming a base price of 4.95/ kg and 6c extra on the grid for R+.

Depending on how you weighted her and how long she will be standing in the mart waiting to be sold actual mart weight will be 20-50 kgs lighter.

If she has a frame I be tempted to feed her on for another 6 weeks, she should put on 20+ kgs DW in that time.

At present she should hang 375-385 kgs. It all depends on her ability to carry weight. In six week she could go up 1-2 places on the grid.

Of her mart weight is 660/670 kgs she will not go much beyond 2 k if even that

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 8,949 ✭✭✭893bet

beef up 20 cent this week according to Agriland

Yes She's a big loose heifer and would easily put on another 50kg or more by the end of June. I'd like to get 2k+ as in my mind She's a typical butchers heifer with much better meat than what's in those cull cows making 2k+

• Advertisement

If she is a big loose heifer I would hold her for another while. Of you can put cheap weight off grass on her I would leave here there to the end of June. She could kill out only 52/53% at present. In a month's time she might KO another 1% or more than at present. Most weight she will be putting on will be flesh from now on

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

She'll hardly make that imo. As Bass says when you take the weight loss from haulage/standing in the mart off you'll be back nearer 650kg. Even at 680kg @ €2200 you're talking €3.25kg. As good a trade as cow/heifers are I don't see them making much with €3kg especially if sub 750kg. I'd consider 2k a right good price atm being honest.

As above I'd feed on for another month unless she's very fat as it is. She should horse on another 50kg in 6 weeks and come up a grade or 2 and killout heavier. I can't see beef slacking much in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭50HX

She's well past a butchers heifer at 705kg.....drive her on, weight in a month/6weeks and see where you are then, anywhere near 750kg I'd be hanging her

• Registered Users Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭tanko

An 800kg CH bullock over 40 months old made €2780 in Carnaross today i’m told.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭kk.man

There's a guy or guys who have a small plant in NI buying these types in ROI marts atm. They are roumored to have good contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭tanko

This morning was the first time the bullock ever got meal in his life, a sorta going away treat. So much for the 30 month rule.

All the QA rules are out the window for heavy cattle in the marts at the minute. Age, movements & quality assurance doesn't come into it around the ring, they just have to be near fit to kill.

@memorystick get payment on the day after the sale, I know with Carnaross you can collect your cheque the day after you sell & if you don't it's in the next days post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

I saw a 770kg black limo make €2750 near the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,768 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Talking to someone yesterday and his neighbour got 2900 for a cow in the mart recently.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Advertisement