Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ journalist found guilty of sexually assaulting woman as she slept

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Until he got the horn and climbed onto her and grabbed her breasts while she slept.

A key piece of information being ignored by everyone it seems.

I genuinely wonder if some people here have ever been in a healthy relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,808 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Yes, and if you think trauma has a timeframe then you don't have a clue about trauma.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Think you're past the point of respecting consent when you're fiddling with someone in their sleep.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I'm confused. Isn't the official story that he stopped once she woke up and said no? Are you saying otherwise?

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

And you seem to be ignoring that fact she was able to sleep beside this man who traumatised her so much, then get into his car for a lift home , meet up with him a few days later and wait a year to report .

No need to make a snide comment on peoples relationships just because they have a difference of opinion to you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

I don’t think the ‘I’m guilty but so are you’ defence will work. Yes, neither of them had valid consent for anything that happened in that room but he went next level when he did what he did when she was asleep. There are no grey areas to what he did.

She told him that sex was off the table and that's when they stopped fooling around and went to sleep, if he had of just left it there this would be a very different story.

Instead he sexually assaulted her while she was asleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Are you not a little curious as to why she then arranged to meet with the guy ( the one who left her in such a state that she was suicidal, traumatised, couldn't bear to be near strangers etc) ? I mean can you think of any reason apart from hoping for a payout why she would want to meet the man who apparently caused her such distress?

Come on seriously she went told him to stop that she was asleep, then went back asleep

Survival instinct would kick in if you thought you were in danger. you would at least have left the uncomfortable situation . I will give her the reporting of said assault for the year but im not buying the going back asleep and then getting lift home with him

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

And there’s no need for people to make excuses for helping themselves to someone while they sleep because they’re horny, but here we are.

• Advertisement

How do you know they're still happy with it after they fall asleep? How do you revoke consent when you're asleep?

They only out I can see here is if he genuinely didn't know she'd fallen asleep.

I wasn't there, so I'm not going to speculate how she was or wasn't feeling, but there's no set reaction to a traumatic experience, and no rules on how you're supposed to act.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Amenhotep

Disingenuous comparison ... he stopped as soon as she told him to stop ... he can be forgiven for assuming she would have given consent since she was already naked in his bed and they had been playing with each others genitals an hour earlier ... but again he stopped - this is the important part, sadly it seems the jury gave in to this "believe all women" and #MeToo nonsense ...

unconscious! :D Gerrrup ourra dah!

No rules but basic human instinct

"The woman said she went back to sleep. Later that night he drove her home and over the following days she texted the defendant expressing annoyance at what had happened."

A few days later she seems to have some feelings towards what happened. Annoyance

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Ffs, some of ye're love lives seem to be as exciting and off the cuff as a trade union meeting!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,369 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I said there is need for greater discussion of consent. Thst goes for men and women.

The point of failure in this case wasn't anything she did. It was the guy sexually assaultingbher while she was asleep.

Maybe you think she should have been explicit that consent is withdrawn when she's asleep, but thats the kindnof thing that should be known and should be discussed so everyone knows thst you can't consent when you're asleep.

Would you say you agree that you can't consent when you're asleep?

If that poster suggested he raped her, then I think they're incorrect.

whoa now there

youre saying theres a grey area in needing to be sober to give consent?

oooh, very edgy comeback!

How about this: "beats having sexual assault lives!"

I take it you're done discussing maturely and have nothing further to add to the conversation? Grand, so.

• Advertisement

Yes. When she was awake and could give consent and withdraw consent. It became not OK when she dozed off because she could no longer give/withdraw consent while asleep. So the assault took place specifically in the time when she was asleep, as far as I know. Are we in agreement on that much?

I dont see this as black and white as that. She went home with him, into bed, foreplay, no sex by agreement obviously but a maybe for the morning, He tried to initiate foreplay / sex with her and she said no and he stopped.

She then fell back asleep, now forgive me but this not seem to me to be the actions of someone who was traumatised

I'm at a disadvantage because I don't pretend to know what's in her mind. I can only go by the evidence we have. She certainly says she was traumatised, the law views what happened to her as sexual assault. You're saying you don't know her mind, but I think if push comes to shove, you don't believe her claims. Where I just don't know. The law knows whether the behaviour constitutes a sexual assault though.

I've said I don't assume he's necessarily a bad person, but if he didn't think he was committing a sexual assault, then he was mistaken about the law and consent. That's a tragedy. If he jad known more about consent, he could have woken her up the normal way you wake someone up, and tasked if she was on for the ride in the normal way and everything would have been fine. Tragic for both him and her, assuming he didn't intend to cause harm and was just mistaken -as many people in this thread also seem to be mistaken.

You missed the crucial detail in you're retelling. You left out the word 'asleep'. How could you retell the story and leave out the crux of the whole issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 56,244 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Actually, I'd find it more difficult to believe that she went through all this out of spite and revenge and that she was not that traumatized at all.

It's more likely that she did this out of a genuine feeling of it needing to be done because of what she experienced. That is why I can sympathize with both parties here.

Other scenario is that she is touched and unstable and did it for whatever reason was in her head.

One other point to touch on: You say had he waited until awake and had they engaged in intercourse, all would be fine. We cant know this. Plenty examples of females making sexual assault allegations in these situations; real he said she said scenarios.

Maybe this man was damned if he did and damned if he didn't

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Was the only reason they didn’t have sex initially because he couldn’t get a stiffy?? If so, and that then resulted in him getting the horn a bit later after a short nap, then that is a very costly case of brewers droop for this unfortunate young man.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,315 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Considering your selective quotation marks - the irony in your post is off the scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,315 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Unfortunately for this guy, the jury was not made up entirely of Boards keyboard warriors or he would have gotten a medal instead of a conviction.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,465 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

The full summary of the VIS.

In her victim impact statement, the woman said she wanted to document the impact sexual violence had on her. She said she was sexually violated while sleeping. "This convicted man, used sexual violence as a method of violence towards me," she told the court. She said he had violated her body, her mind, her sense of self and her sense of security in the world. It had impacted, she said, on every facet of her life.

The woman said the night of the assault was the last night she would ever go to sleep believing she was safe and the thought someone would sexually violate her while sleeping was beyond comprehension. She said the stress and fear did not end when the attack ended and it had replayed again and again.

In the aftermath, she said she felt grief and distress beyond explanation and felt totally disconnected from reality. The woman said relationships with her family had become strained. She said she had lost her social circle and many friends and had not been able to progress in her career. She described to the court, becoming depressed and suicidal and making an attempt on her life.

The woman said she believed if society supported victims better, she would not have had to deal with such devastating losses. The only person responsible for the relationships and friendships she had lost was Ó Leidhin she said and yet she had been shamed and blamed because of what he did to her.

She said she had to pay for counselling sessions and doctor's appointments.

The woman said it had taken three years from the time she reported the assault before the trial took place. This was completely unacceptable she said and forced victims of sexual violence to be stuck in a state of trauma. Giving evidence and being cross examined was unbelievably distressing and she felt she was going to have a heart attack.

She said that giving her victim impact statement did not put an end to the trauma for her, and she would have to deal with it for the rest of her life. She said she would not forget it but she would not let it define her. She said she would leave behind everything unfounded and untruthful said to her in court, as well as all her pain, guilt, silence and shame, with the sexual offender who was responsible for it all.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Cdemess

Been reading through the comments and I keep getting Tommy underwear adverts popping up. I bet I get an evil look from a bus passenger.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement