Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Softening house market?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

^^

None of these calculations are wrong, though the numbers we have aren't exact.

Various computations put the vacancy rate in Ireland at around 10%. Some say 12.5%. If we assumed 10%, then you the multiplication above gets us ~ 1.854m houses x 2.75 people = 5.1m people. Which is only 70k away from the 2021 population estimates, and basically within a margin of error.

Then you throw in things like holiday homes, people splitting their time between various properties, etc, and you can see how it fits together.

So where does the 30k a year come from? Well immigration, for a start. Which is running around 30k per year. Obviously many families, so it's not 30k new dwellings. You also have the natural increase - individuals who were thus far living in parental accommodation, seeking to move into their own properties. And you have natural cycling of the housing stock - properties falling into disuse or disrepair and being abandoned.

The substantive issue here of course is that 10% vacancy. If we have ~200k vacant properties (that are apparently not being used as holiday homes), then indeed why are we looking to build 30k new houses a year?

But ultimately even in the last crash, vacant properties weren't that big a factor. Between 2011 and 2016, only about 30,000 vacant properties (out of 215k) came back into regular use. Which suggests that for one reason or another there are a lot of people sitting on a lot of empty houses with little or no interest in selling or using them. Most likely inherited or otherwise acquired and not bought. Thus, when the market does slow down, the vacant stock won't really be a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

The whole supply thing is farcical. Theres enough houses, they may not be cheap enough or well located enough but they are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭hayse

Who wants to live in the likes of Leitrim or Carlow for example. We are metropolitan people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

But why should people who work hard have no other choice but to choose places like Leitrim to live when those on the housing list and not working can dictate any location they like. Our welfare class and left leanings have the tail wagging the dog in this country for quite some time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭bullpost

I know someone who inherited a house and is letting it idle because they dont have the money to do it up and they have no intention of moving from where they live. I'm sure if there was some scheme to buy it from them as a going concern they might be interested. Wouldnt take a huge amount to make it into a family home. Wonder if this is same for lots of other unoccupied homes?

• Advertisement

If the price is too high its like what happens if an apple thats usually 20cent becomes 1 euro, people make a choice and simply substitute the apple for a banana. This might mean emigration, retraining, remote work , living at home until your 40 etc.

Could be anything...

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭1percent

In these conversations over the last year the options available to the young aspiring renter or wannabe nest leaver seem to have been done to death. I think I can outline them rather succinctly here:

1. Earn €60k+ with good prospects from good stock and couple up with a fellow AB socio-economic class. Play the game and buy somthing good to very good in a good to very good area of dubin.
    2. Only open the the girls, dont work have a child or two. Don't have a relationship with the father(s) Play the game and be given somthing good to very good in a good to very good area of dubin.
    3. Live at home into old age
    4. Rent into old age
    5. Move out of dublin
    6. Be homeless

The whys don't mater when you are at the coal face of it all, giving out about the way it should be won't put a roof over your head.

We have all been delt a fairly **** hand this round all we can do is play it. Decide what you can do, then what you want to do, then go make it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,395 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Yeah. If only there was some kind of service where you could go to a person who would find a buyer for a house you wanted to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Nero2900

Softening😂.

Serious question, who is buying houses in this environment?. You must be mad.

Ive gone sale agreed on my second property and the relief is incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

Your post is a bit of a oxymoron "who is buying in this environment?" and you have just had 2 people buy 2 properties off you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Xidu

Could be the buyer didn’t get mortgage approved. Happened w my colleague

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭hometruths

The substantive issue here of course is that 10% vacancy. If we have ~200k vacant properties (that are apparently not being used as holiday homes), then indeed why are we looking to build 30k new houses a year?

But ultimately even in the last crash, vacant properties weren't that big a factor. Between 2011 and 2016, only about 30,000 vacant properties (out of 215k) came back into regular use. Which suggests that for one reason or another there are a lot of people sitting on a lot of empty houses with little or no interest in selling or using them. Most likely inherited or otherwise acquired and not bought. Thus, when the market does slow down, the vacant stock won't really be a factor.

I am broadly in agreement with you on the vacancies, but I totally disagree is that the only solution is to build more - that's a long term fix for a short term problem. Yes there are "a lot of people sitting on a lot of empty houses with little or no interest in selling or using them", but that's largely because for the last ten years they have been disincentivised from selling or using them.

The solution is to fix that, incentivise them to sell or use the properties. Doesn't really matter whether it is the carrot or the stick, as long as they're incentivised. Of course the stick is tax, but whilst that has been talked about for ages, it's implementation has always looked unlikely. Eg last weekends SBP:

The introduction of a vacant homes tax next year is in doubt after the Revenue found a “low level of vacancy” across all counties.

Around 1.7 million households were required to provide details of any vacant properties they owned in their Revenue property tax returns last year to prepare the ground for a new vacant property tax next year.

I take your point that it was not a load of hitherto vacant properties flooding the market that caused the crash last time, but rather a withdrawal of demand. But the high vacancies were definitely a factor in the lead up, with properties being bought to leave vacant, contributing massively to the excess demand in the first place.

The ESRI even went as far as to factor in forward demand for purchasing new builds to leave vacant in their projections around 05/06!!

Yet today in their projections they do not even factor in the current number of vacancies! Go figure!

Just one of the many reasons I take these projections with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭LJ12345

Whilst it’s too early to say what sort of correction we might have I would be shocked if we didn’t have a drop. The demand is there but at a lower price point. The market had stabilised between 2018-2020 but what came then was a need for space both internal and external and anyone who was in a position to do so did. At the same time investment funds and councils were stripping supply, so we had a situation where councils and reit type funds were buying up new and second hand property and those fortunate ones were hoovering up cheaper rural property most likely not their principal private residence but a 2nd or 3rd property where they could escape to and work from. We then had a stock market surge due to all the free printed money sloshing around which bouyed the markets giving some other lucky people wealth or possibly the illusion of wealth.

It’s absolutely different to 2007 as we’ve been protected from ourselves by the ECB rules, but I think the change due to sentiment across the board will be quick, if the younger cohort have been investing their deposits, it could be wipeout for them and as the tide turns I think we’ll see a lot of people racing for the exit doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mr Hindley

I was talking to a colleague yesterday whose family run a property business, finding properties for investors. He said that about three weeks ago, they noticed levels of incoming interest 'dropping off a cliff'.

Anecdotal, but interesting. The same colleague, who reports to me but could buy and sell me ten times over due to his family's wealth, has been hunting around for a top-end apartment for the last few months, as a cash buyer, and being massively outbid by other cash buyers. Will be interesting to see if that changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Its annoying the way the discussion is always dublin centered. Cork market is also out of control for a long time now. Galway no different.

The biggest insult to anyone renting and trying to save is the derelict ireland hashtag on twitter. The amount of property just left sitting there yet 2 government minister say it not a problem. Now while some of the properties are just fit for knocking there are others that could be bought on stream a lot quicker that building from the start. We reslly need an enforced vacant property tax. Can think of 2 estates in cork featured one in rochestown and another over by carrig na bhfear. Ghost estates from celtic tiger sitting there windows smashed in. With rising cost would mske more economic sense to let someone renovate these.sure there are examples of these 2 estates all over the country

Also local councils need to get the finger out. For example in templemore the number of houses council owned and left sitting there. One example counci bought house last year by garda college.had been lived in. Only needs cosmetic work but still sitting empty since in the meantime nothing available to rent in the town and people/couples crying out looking for somewhere to rent or affordable to buy.

No new developments in nenagh either started in the last few years. A short communite from limerick.any house that does go up for sale is selling in a month for crazy money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭DataDude

Interesting. Was only looking at this other day semi related to work and wondering how quickly it would be felt.

Investors are extremely cold in calculation of price, and it’s generally based on risk premium on risk free rates (bond yields). Mortgage rates irrelevant to them. Yields have risen 1.5% or so across most durations in last 6 months. If 6% was previously the acceptable yield on a property for an investor. Simplistically they now need 7.5% for the same risk premium as they had before. (Inflation expectations are also a factor but somewhat muddied by limits on rent hikes and likely future rent freezes I expect).

In theory an apartment renting at €2,500pm would have been worth c (2,500*12/6%) = €500k 6 months ago. If they need a 7.5% yield it’s (2500*12/7.5%) = €400k now.

So a 1.5% rise in yield requirement drops the price by 20%. It wouldn’t suprise me at all if investor demand died completely at current prices.

The issue then becomes, with build costs so high. Does construction just grind to a halt as the cost of building exceeds market price. That’s a major issue and no doubt the reason behind recent news of government subsidising apartment construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mr Hindley

Yes, a bit of me wonders if there'll be a short-term (next year or so) lull / drop due to dropping consumer sentiment, but then a drop in new supply feeds through and starts pushing up house prices again - given all the demand still out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,272 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I know of a 7 bedroom detached house surrounded by a huge garden in a cork city suburb that went up at 575k and is on the PPR as having sold at 510k - fairly big drop. Now, there is a fair bit of cosmetic work to do to the inside - it's fairly old fashioned, but still...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Was bidding on our dream home and were highest bidders as of last thursday. Agent comes back and tells us they are going to a sealed best and final bid on monday. Not happy about that but we had to comply, felt like bidding against ourselves. After getting some advice from a friend in the business and from speaking to the agent we bid another sizeable amount to secure and were confident that we would be successful but unfortunately found out yesterday we didn't get it. Absolutely gutted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Not saying they took some cash in hand, but wouldnt be the first house-sale to get over the line that way...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Not softening in Dublin 8 - Nice house up for sale in Inchicore (https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/new-to-market/a-woodwork-teacher-s-revamped-home-with-covered-deck-outdoors-for-495k-1.4873525) . Asking price 495K and as far as I am aware the current bid is at over 630K...I know the area and it is definitely improving as an area but that is a mad price for a 3 bed....

630 for that? Bah Bah Bah, let the baby have his bottle...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

There's an Ireland Property Investor group on facebook and i've seen a few people saying they are selling their properties as they think prices are going to come down. "the 15% gain in the last year can be lost just as quick" one said.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Nearly everypeoperty investor I know has already sold. Only two left and they are having issues with non paying or moving tenants.

Really cant see there being too many normal landlords left soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭bullpost

Genius - but like I said , House is not in a state to be sold .

• Administrators Posts: 53,749 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It is hard to argue with such insightful commentary, and it's on Facebook no less!

If property "investors" are looking at their gains and losses in such short timeframes like 1 year then they are in the wrong game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

If investors believe a price drop is coming, then why wouldn't they decide to sell and then re-buy at a lower price?

As regards for your "it's on facebook no less!" comment, comes across as very arrogant. Sure why would anyone take notice of you then? Sure it's on boards no less!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement