Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching from Ulster Bank to...

Comments

It's not a closing fee, it's the transaction fee or stamp duty you already owe.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭cnoc

How do I close my UB account. BTW I have absolutely no money in any account with them. I transferred all (!) my money to BoI a few months ago. Do I still need to actually close my account. TIA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,066 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

You can leave it for them to close when they're turning off the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭cnoc

Thanks 😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭MickH503

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

That charge sounds like transaction fees accrued in the period since they were last levied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,002 ✭✭✭✭GBX

There is an option in the Anytime app now to close your account. Should be the last option when you click - My transactions at the top, "close this account" at the bottom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭vickers209

I Received a letter from Ulster bank yesterday which I thought was about closing the account.

But when I read it it advised me from middle of June they will no longer process "OTC" transactions/payments from middle of June

The Letter states that these type of transactions are from a payment made from a gambling provider or payment from crypto currency and I was being informed as I previously had this type of transaction.

I had one or 2 wins on paddy power and transfered the win back into my bank which normally was processed in a few minutes.

Question I'm wondering is why are they are stoping this type of payment is it part of there wind down in general or is it some new EU rules regarding payments.

At the bottom of the letter it mentions pending accounts closure but no action was needed from me yet,

I'm planing on starting the move within next few weeks anyway

That's odd. OTC is Over the Counter, i.e. teller transactions. Not sure what the connection is with gambling / crypto.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

No, OTC refers to transactions in various types of investment vehicle including crypto etc...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I would image it relates to the close down. It can take months for some OTC transactions to settle so they need to provide a good buffer.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Over-the-counter_(finance)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,435 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I've just closed mine in the online banking so we will see. sure I would have some of the monthly charge to pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,925 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I have my current account moved over to AIB but have left my UB Current account open whilst I still have Mastercard and Visa Credit cards open with them. Be interesting to see if and when we get instructions about them shutting down the credit card services

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭runjb

Hi all,

I have my current account, credit card and savings accounts with KBC. I really don't want to pay bank fees on my current account, so I'm thinking on moving to N26 / revolut. I have a CU savings account so that can handle cheque lodges if I ever need it etc. From reading the previous posts, it appears there are some problems with salaries being paid into N26 / Revolut - I'm in the public sector, so I wonder do all govt departments have the same policy on it and won't allow payment of salaries into accounts with non-Irish IBANS?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭tamara25

I see it mentioned here that that people can also open a credit union account when switching over from UlsterBank. What are the disadvantages of having a credit union account as opposed to an aib account. I already have a credit union account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭phormium

Depends probably what is on offer with your local CU, I would have preferred to have gone with CU for current account as they have a good offering, well staffed branch should I need to go in etc and good online and all for €4 pm but you only get 2 free ATM transactions pm and after that have to pay charge, I use the ATM once weekly at the moment, I'm a cash person not a tap/debit card sort of person but if that wasn't something that mattered then CU in my case would have been best option.

I have opened with EBS for now but apparently they will be moving all their current/deposit accounts to AIB anyway next year so will probably end up with AIB anyway and can review again then.

You could get around that ATM usage restriction by getting a Curve card and attaching your CU debit card to it.

Also handy for EBS as they don't support Google/Apple Pay but you can attach your EBS card to a Curve card and then Curve to Google/Apple Pay. (This is what I do.)

See now all that sounds far too much like hard work! Don't want any more cards, Google/Apple pay or even the debit card other than to use for the ATM withdrawals. I have a credit card if I really want to use a card for the odd thing. I like nice simple budgeting and banking 😊

Curve allows you to combine all your cards into one card so you only have to carry the one card in your wallet. And an app that keeps track of all your spending in one place.

The essence of simplicity in my book!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,663 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I closed two old savings accounts. No charges.

Done via the app. There's a close account option. Very straightforward.

Nah, not selling it to me, cutting my two cards down to one is hardly worth it, 3 sections in the wallet so 2 cards and drivers licence is grand and I have zero interest in apps, need to carry my glasses around if I want to be using the phone for that stuff, I don't use the phone in general for banking unless unavoidable. I keep track of my spending old school style 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,435 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

2.21 euro

2.00 last period

0.21 to close

on the transactions page

just waiting to see money land in my new current account now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Slideways

With my tracker mortgage, AIB will be taking that over, will they automatically open an acc to go with it?

I live abroad and am trying to figure out how I can open an acc to transfer funds for the mortgage payments once UB closes down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭rameire

Unfortunately they will not open a current account for you.

If you have a UB account You will have to setup a new account and get a new bank direct debit working.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

Bunq account is what you need.

Irish IBAN and operates exactly like a bank with direct debit and standing orders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭ffocused

You should be able update your direct debit online from UB banking app by selecting ‘manage my mortgage’

I did it a few weeks ago and first payment due from new BOI account tomorrow, but unsure if it will process.

I have both banks blaming each other for failed direct debit on a UB personal loan a few weeks ago.

UB say it is set up on their end & BOI say they have no record of it, so I am expecting more of the same tomorrow.

Does anyone else here have issues with UB direct debits from BOI after switching?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Hi, we have our mortgage with UB 17.5 years left fixed at approx 2% for next 18 months.

We also have an UB joint account. From this account our mortgage payment and all our utility bills come out.

Because the joint account is linked to the mortgage does that mean UB are obliged to transfer our joint account as well? My wife thinks that they are.

On the Matt Cooper show today Charlie Weston was saying that mortgage holders in their last year of a low fixed rate should consider trying to extend the term at current low rates? Possibly with UB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,250 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

NSSO have no problem paying into Revolut with Lithuanian LT IBAN, so I doubt if they have any difficulties with N26.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭rameire

Ulster Bank have no obligation to transfer your current account. it is up to you to get a new account.

As for the Fixed Rate, it may be ideal for you to view their current Fixed Rates available and request a breakage cost from your current Fixed Rate, because if you are moving to PTSB when your fixed rate expires you will be probably offered one of their fixed rates or role onto the variable rate which will most likely be higher.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Advertisement