Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

Imagine what they'd make on the open market and how many units the proceeds would build in another lication

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Nero2900

Been reading this thread and so many people are misinformed. Yes, demand has a role to play in property prices but so many people are forgetting the Macro environment. The environment around the world has a much bigger part to play then the artificially restrained supply.

We are heading into a tightening phase of massive proportions. Its likely the rate increases are going to be bigger then ever seen, percentage wise. Right now they seem scary but are being talked down.

People are being squeezed by rising prices.

Economies are slowing down.

We are likely to see some form of recession.

Foreign investors are going to pack up and leave here. This has already started, its the poor everyday buyer who is now buying at the top and will be left with a debt burden for years.

The property market has been propped up by our useless government by years. They pretend to be trying to fight prices while doing the reverse, it makes for good business. Now we have hit peak asset prices. Stocks, crypto and property prices are likely to all burn together. A massive trimming on asset prices is necessary.

I have two properties, recently kicked out renters and went sale agreed on rental.

Hopefully it will be closed soon.

I've seen these cycles a few times.

Its always the same, there's always a reason why property cant drop, prices are always reasonable and fine.

People don't understand the government has been facilitating properties rises. Not, just here, all around the developed world. Its always the same, they push it as far as they can, then pull the plug, make some excuses and start again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

100% it is the government and the capital "S" State (ie central banks) that have inflated the bubble and this is why Johnny Taxpayer will be the mug paying for the fallout again. This time how we will pay is that we won't see any return for the corporate tax boon we experienced the last few years. Instead of investing in the economy and improving life in this country, the exchequer windfall went into the property market and on public expenditure in the form of welfare supports and increased salaries in the public and civil sectors.

I read today that Iarnroid Eireann won't have a catering service on the train for the foreseeable future, for no good reason. We have therefore no train service with a catering car in the country, that is just embarrassing. Why this is mentioned is that it highlights the lack of investment in infrastructure, housing and education as well as SMEs has been a catastrophic failure of FF and FG and there won't be any accountability.

Every new BTR apartment block coming on the market seems to be geared towards the high paid worker. There are zero rentals newly built targeting more moderate incomes. This, to me, is just so utterly out of control and unsustainable that I think a fairly hefty correction is on the cards. I have flip flopped in my head around how much of a correction could happen but in the rental market for sure I could see something material in the level of correction possible.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,754 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Brand new accounts popping up telling us they're selling off their portfolios, we're all doomed and nobody has the understanding to truly grasp what is about to happen, it's going to be armageddon.

It's March 2020 all over again on the boards property forum. 😕

We'll be hearing about the estate agents cold calling people begging them to buy houses next.

You will find lower transaction data being blamed on a lack of supply and that more supply will result in higher transaction activity. That's when you will know the game is up!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Lower supply quite literally leads to lower transaction activity. You've pinned your hopes to some really odd hills, a slowdown in job growth isn't going to tank our economy either.

We have lived in a low rates, easy money world for so long that people dont understand the ramifications of this changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,663 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The "for no good reason" is that it doesn't make enough money to pay someone a reasonable wage - and that nobody is willing to work for the wages that are on offer.

Our Intercity services are the equivalent in distances, capacity etc to regional services in other countries. These also don't have catering.

• Advertisement

My point is that we will be waiting for Godot when the lower transaction activity comes through in data if you were waiting for more supply to cause a pick up in transaction activity, because the reason for the lower transaction activity will be the affordability crisis moreso and less to do with supply.

Post edited by Amadan Dubh on

If you were in any other job you'd quit out of shame

2k pcm for a 3 bed house in dooradoyle, limerick. 5 homes available for rent in Limerick City/suburbs

Yes, no invested interest there at all. Criminal.

And people somehow think the likes of Dell or Northern Trust or some other MNC will hire more employees in the region? 5 rentals in Limerick. 5 rentals in Ireland's third largest city. 5 rentals.

To say that our whole economy is at a tipping point is not hyperbolic in this context. It is truly staggering that the housing crisis is going to sink the economy and yet here we are. This has been a gradual but steady build up and I don't think there is any orderly unwinding of the problem. It is just going to be a crash.

The number of houses available on Daft is not a factor when MNCs decide on headcount. This is not how it works.

It is also, in my experience of hiring, not a significant factor for candidates either. Most of our big MNCs are tech, and by far the biggest problem in tech right now is salaries, the market is incredibly competitive.

Many of these companies are based in the Bay Area as well, much worse problems than Ireland. It is not a major factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

I would say over 99% of the population do not care about or are even aware of the plight of large MNCs trying to hire people.

You've made the same point a lot recently but highlighting it here repeatedly is probably not going to change that fact.

I think most are more concerned about their own personal circumstances..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭enricoh

I'd agree with that but they people will care if the MNCs corporation tax + income tax take starts to wane. Plus the government won't have the dough to pump into the housing market.

We are hugely reliant on the MNCs to keep the show on the road. Maybe the MNCs will end up building apartment blocks for their workers, I hope so as it'll keep them here instead of looking to relocate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,412 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

You say salaries are the biggest issue in tech right now but isnt that because of the nature of housing in Ireland as well?

If a MNC wants to bring over a Senior Engineer, they know that they will have to be paying big money for rent, so will want big wages to compensate. I do know from experience the recruiters are fully aware of the housing issue and have asked candidates before they made offers about their rental/housing situation in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,412 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

If some bigshot from Facebook, or Google or Workday or whoever makes noise about jobs being moved away from Ireland because of the rental/housing issue, that will be big waves alright.

Most people in Ireland don't care about the average young guy/girl/couple trying to get a place to rent or buy. They do and will care if the tax base that our MNC gives us, which pays their pensions and salary, is threatened because of the housing issue.

• Advertisement

To date it has not been but right now supply has never been this low. 5 rentals in Limerick is absolutely dire straits. I assume we would need to go back to pre-covid times when it comes to your experience with hiring decisions as WFH would have been the case the last two years and housing would not have been that big of a factor?

It won't be long until some news emerges from a big company. I just do not see any probable outcome that doesn't involve an Irish economic shock, in particular with respect to our FDI model. 5 rentals in Limerick, how do we reconcile this with expectations that MNCs in the locality continue to hire?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Stagnation in MNC hiring wouldn't cause an economic shock, they'd have to reduce in size to have any impact. Our tax base doesn't dissapear because (if) they stop hiring.

Honestly, you read every single thing through a prism of doom, you may be right one day (though it wouldn't justify years of doomy predictions), but Facebook announcing a hiring freeze will never be the death of the Irish economy.

A global recession is the most likely thing to hurt our economy, not our own housing crisis.

I've also made the point last summer that people should go "low for very long" with their mortgage interest rates and at the end of last year that the ECB would firstly change its narrative around inflation and then ultimately change its position around rate rises, resulting in an embarrassing tail-between-the-legs introduction of interest rate rises, despite their insistence that inflation would ease into next year and rate rises wouldn't be necessary this year. I also posted last year commenting that it feels like we were at the stage of the cycle where human psychology is the reason for a change from bullish to bearish; from euphoria and FOMO the last few years, there would then be a sort of doubt or uncertainty take hold, without any real trigger event, which would then ignite a general sentiment in the market leading to an expectation that things would start to go sour which ultimately does lead to things going sour. We are at the point where the tone and mood is starting to shift to uncertainty, though it is tough to point to a trigger event, instead we can flag multiple incidents that maybe have fed into this uncertain narrative.

I do not see any murmurings yet of an MNC indicating it may have to reconsider Irish hires as a result of the uncertain outlook (which is what they will say but in reality housing is the big issue), but there is a precedent already in the public discourse on the housing crisis, here:

"But that wasn't a housing crisis issue", you may say. I'm not so sure;

My two biggest unanswered questions right now are (1) with 5 rentals in Limerick, 350 in Dublin etc. how will companies keep expanding in Ireland? (2) how is it in any way sustainable for any new supply of BTR (which is essentially the only supply coming on stream) to be geared towards the upper end of the market with no (as far as I can tell) more modest income targeting rentals?

I maintain that we have not learned the lessons from the last crash so I fear we may end up back where we were 20 years ago, economically, as a result of mistakes being made in the lead up to and after the 2008 crash. But, as I've said, I will be emigrating so perhaps this will frame a more optimistic view of the Irish housing market in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

They won't keep expanding without some where to house workers. Without expansion the growth story that is facilitating enormous borrowing in Ireland will peter out. The government will find it difficult to continue to pay HAP etc. and may eventually default on some debts.

The high end btr will become unsustainable without government support and the house of cards may collapse.

This is all obvious and has been answered many times. Not sure what you expect the people on this thread to do. Maybe talk with your local TD.

What would happen if Russia launched a nuclear strike on Ireland? Maybe we'd all die? If it happens it happens. It hasn't happened yet.

Looks like a lot of supply coming on the market in about a year. Huge developments going up around Dublin 8 etc. including social getting close to completion.

No, salaries are going up because there is a shortage of talent. Even if there was no housing issue, salaries would be going up.

It is a very competitive market out there, even when you do get talent it is difficult to retain it these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

We are being informally told that if we see someone for a position we are looking to hire in that we can look at basing them on the continent. Ideally they would like them here but we can be 'flexible'.

So we are in agreement as far as I can see. The huge supply will hit the market just in time for the economy to slow and SF get closer to power (which will result in more supply on the market due to panic selling from individuals) resulting in a softening in housing costs. I won't even go into the likely impact of the Chinese housing market collapsing over the coming years but to say that it will result in cheaper materials for homebuilding in this part of the world.

So I don't really understand this point about not discussing the topic because it may not be possible to do anything about it. We all are stakeholders in the property market and therefore our micro decisions and actions in relation to our housing needs all adds up to effectively "the market". We are the market makers with our micro level decisions.

A head in the sand approach might be fine for someone not really that involved in the market anymore (ie not looking to move anytime soon, little to no mortgage etc), but for the likes of myself, young family, renting etc there are plenty of micro decisions to be made in the short to medium term at least with respect to my own housing needs so it is important to try to be somewhat educated (that being said, confirmation bias is definitely a risk when doing one's own reading and interpretation).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭combat14

the income tax situation here is almost a bigger if not massive disincentive for anyone skilled to come here from abroad .. compared to france/uk/usa our higher rate of tax starting in the mid 30k is an absolute joke .. the mad rents here just top it all off ..

with remote working why does anyone with the requisite skill sets need to even be based here at all...

and if we open that can of worms the whole house of cards built on quick sand could come crashing down..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Unfortunately the market makers are not FTB’s but investors/councils.

On top of that the micro decisions won’t make much of a difference because these people have to live somewhere and they have no option but to pay high rent. It’s like saying food prices are to high so if everyone stops buying food the price will drop while forgetting that people need to eat in order to live.

Advertisement