Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

How many query's are Nbi/Vodafone/sky etc getting when people are going to pre-order, surely they can let the providers know a few weeks in advance first and align the systems then open up for orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

woo hoo, just ordered via vodafone chat!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

That's brilliant could you send them down to Cobh next ?

I'll slip em a tenner when they install and see how it goes

15 days apparrantly, but not going to hold my breath on that, I know the poles outside my house are rotten, they replaced up to about 200yds down the road, and stopped there, I am assuming they held off replacing ours until an order wne through (we are on a cul de sac effectively)

Expecting them to come to install

And then have to go away and return when poles ate installed

they replaced a pole outside out place about a month ago and we have another in the front of the house , the wife doesn't want the wire coming from the pole so I have to install some ducting but to be honest if it means if can ditch tethering off a phone , I would dig a mile for ducting , not long now anyway , nbi are all over the place in Cobh at the moment and I cornered a bloke yesterday and he said they should be out of Cobh in a month .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Have they not already strung the fibre up on your pole? Or did they terminate with a DP further up the road before they got to yours?

The dp is about 4 poles away from me, the pole that the dp is on is good, the next one is good, but the last 2 are in awful condition, I was assuming they didn't replace until someone placed an order, as again it will only be us using them.

I had an eir copper line comming in to the house overhead from the very last pole on our road, but it was disconnected about ten years ago or more when I got a wisp in. The wire is still there, but sagging and running through a lot of overgrown trees

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Well done. What is your "Anticipated date for connection"?

I'm April 2022 - June 2022 but still in pre-order.

Vf told be I'd get a call for an appointment in 48 hrs, connection in 3 to 5 working days, with an SLA of 15 working days.

I'm more realistic, I give it 4 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

What I mean is, before you went pre-order, NBI gave you an "Anticipated date for connection". Do you remember what it was?

• Advertisement

Sorry, it was March to April 2022, so they are fairly on the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

Finally pre-ordered in the midleton DA looking like June sometime for connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭snapper365

When we got connected, we had the call from KN to schedule an appointment the day after we placed the order, and we got connected a week later. So you never know, don't lose hope yet! That was in Carrigaline DA though, whereas I know a friend in Cobh had to wait something like 3 weeks for his appointment once his premises went live for ordering. So I guess it can depend on the DA and how many crews KN have working there at the time.

You mentioned about a couple of poles outside your house needing replacement. I'd be surprised if they actually turned up to install without having replaced them first. It seems more likely that your order will trigger a work order to replace them (assuming they've marked them as needing to be replaced) and they'll schedule your actual install for after that date.

I say that because they do actually seem quite on the ball with regards to the work that's required for each individual premises. For example they had obviously marked our house as needing a hoist and two crews arrived on the day, as opposed to one turning up and going away again muttering "we need a hoist", which is what you'd normally expect with these kinds of things!

I guess this is the net result of all the info garnered from the surveying they've done, which possibly explains why it can be hard for people to get an eircode for a new build added in previously surveyed areas. It would seem on the surface to be a no-brainer, but the surveying does seem to be quite detailed at a premise level so they can't just add new eircodes without having a look first. Whether that's the most efficient way of doing things is up for debate.

Just curious ,you said a friend of yours got connected in Cobh with NBI ? didn't know any part of Cobh has gone live yet .

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭johnnyboy08

So fibre installed earlier, kn came on time at 9, ran the cable, hooked up the ONT and initial tests with their equipment was 840d/113u.

Digiweb Fritz box arrived in the post while kn were here so happy days I thought.

Plugged Fritz into switch for some wired tests from my pc, noticed there was no internet connectivity, checked the Fritz event logs and saw authentication failure messages.

Got on the phone to Digiweb who are saying it's NBI haven't activated the connection account. So I'm here, still on my 5Mb connection, looking at an ONT and modem ready to go and they're as useful as a chocolate fireguard at the minute.

If dealing with Digiweb I'd recommend double checking everything is set up with themselves and NBI prior to install.

Post edited by johnnyboy08 on

• Registered Users Posts: 33,946 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Would love this problem. Maybe il have it in 2025 :)

Have you configured the PPPoE set up on the Fritzbox? For Digiweb it's the following:

User: nbisetup@nbi.ftth.viatel.net

Password: nbipwsetup

VLAN ID: 10

Absolute legend! That was it. Now why couldn't Digiweb have told me that.

Post edited by johnnyboy08 on

Don't be leaving it like that, what's your speed test ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭clohamon

Maybe a typo, but Denis Naughten seems to think the schedule has slipped to 2028.

By 2028 we will have 146,000 km of fibre cable stretching across 96% of Ireland's land mass.

https://www.kildarestreet.com/debates/?id=2022-05-17a.5&s=Telecommunications+Services+speaker%3A206#g86

Look at his next sentence though!

By 2028 we will have 146,000 km of fibre cable stretching across 96% of Ireland's land mass. Setting a goal, therefore, of only covering the populated areas of the country two years later, by 2030, is not very ambitious

I don't think he misspoke

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Wasn't he referring to the 5g network rollout, which was the subject of his question?

In those two statements he was explicitly referring to "fibre cable" and the same 146,000km figure that NBI have been using, but instead of the rollout being complete by 2026, he's now saying 2028 for the finished fibre rollout explicitly. Previously 2028 had only been the goal for covering all premises with a "gigabit network service" as per the "The Digital Ireland Framework" doc here:

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭snapper365

Sorry, my post was poorly worded - I meant that there was an approx 3 week gap between his order date and his appointment date. He's not actually been connected yet - the appointment is tomorrow!

Denis Naughten says "by 2028 we will have 146,000 km of fibre cable stretching across 96% of Ireland's land mass", no mention of delaying beyond 2026. I hope he's correct in saying that fibre will be on the poles and in the ducts by 2028. The Dept and NBI are still saying 2026 completion. Denis Naughten, who's no longer directly involved in the NBP probably knows as much as we do about the dates at this point.

The document you quoted refers to gigabit networks combined no later than 2028, so not just NBI.

The 2030 goal he was referring to was 5g coverage to populated areas. This from the document

Ireland’s overall digital connectivity target, one of the most ambitious in the EU, is to ensure that all Irish households and businesses will be covered by a Gigabit network service no later than 2028, with all populated areas covered by 5G by no later than 2030. 

Reading the whole paragraph together he's pointing to 5g coverage

On 1 February the Government launched its new national digital strategy, Harnessing Digital - the Digital Ireland Framework. One of the objectives set out in the framework is to make connectivity available to everyone. It set a target that all populated areas would be covered by 5G not later than 2030. Today, Eir has 5G coverage of more than 70% of Ireland's population, covering 322 towns throughout the country. That is close to providing coverage to every town with a population of 500 or more. Three has a population coverage of 79% for 5G technology. By 2028 we will have 146,000 km of fibre cable stretching across 96% of Ireland's land mass. Setting a goal, therefore, of only covering the populated areas of the country two years later, by 2030, is not very ambitious. On top of that, Government will have to tender for the new Tetra radio communications network, a digital radio service for An Garda Síochána and for the other emergency services, which is costing the taxpayer €40 million per annum at the moment. This network needs to be replaced with a 5G network to have geographic coverage.

Regarding 5g coverage goal in that document, I would guess by that date we'll have much greater coverage beyond populated areas by then. Around my locality many rural eir masts are already 5g, albeit 3.6 GHz. also 3 network masts. The 700 MHz band will expand this further once the band is released. I also assume the 3g network will have been replaced by 4g/5g services long before 2030.

Post edited by The Cush on

So some part of Cobh has gone available to order ? That's good news

But if NBIs dates are correct, then he should have said "by 2026 we will have 146,000 km of fibre cable stretching across 96% of Ireland's land mass"

It actually would make the 5G coverage question even more compelling because they would have 4 years to use that fibre to add 5G coverage instead of 2.

The 2030 5G coverage date is not in question BTW, it's very clear from the conversation that date is about 5G

2028 for the fibre specifically is odd though. The Digital Ireland doc calling for "gigabit network service" available to all premises by 2028 sure as hell sounds like the NBP to me. Are there other gigabit connectivity schemes ongoing by the government that I'm not aware of?

Why single out government sponsored networks, open-eir and SIRO add to the combined total gigabit network availability.

This from that document

Investment by commercial operators in quality, secure and resilient Gigabit network services to the vast majority of premises, in primarily urban and suburban areas covering circa 77% of the premises across the State;

The deployment of Gigabit network services through the National Broadband Plan’s State-led Intervention to primarily rural areas covering circa 23% of the premises across the State; 

It actually would make the 5G coverage question even more compelling because they would have 4 years to use that fibre to add 5G coverage instead of 2.

Licence coverage obligations rather than fibre availability would be the reason there. Depends on how quickly the MNOs want to invest in their network rollout

Ensuring the State’s 5G Spectrum continues to be released with appropriate coverage and deployment obligations, and continuous monitoring of the use of this spectrum for both indoor and outdoor locations, to ensure it is used efficiently and effectively;

Ensuring that the appropriate spectrum is reserved, and mobile connectivity solutions are provided for the use of public services;

Post edited by The Cush on

• Advertisement

I singled out the government sponsored networks because I'm pretty sure Denis Naughten isn't privy to the rollout plans of Eir and Siro, let alone the quantities of fibre they plan to roll out. The government have no control over eir/siro to commit them to deliver anything by 2028.

I mean, the NBI page (https://nbi.ie/about/what-were-delivering/) uses the exact same wording!

NBI:

Around 146,000 kilometers of fibre to connect over half a million homes, covering 96% of Ireland’s land mass.

Naughten:

By 2028 we will have 146,000 km of fibre cable stretching across 96% of Ireland's land mass.

So something smells. At this stage I'm convinced they know it's going to take til 2028 to finish NBP, and they're just re-framing it by avoiding using "NBP" and instead saying "Gigabit Network Service"

Advertisement