Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭supernova5

who said Lohan intends to field a 2nd team next Sunday,? putting out a lot good number of the panelist's would be the sensible thing to do in my estimation, but that's not how the Red helmeted one works...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭kk.man

See RTE TV covering all Munster games. It would sicken ya with their obsession with Munster hurling. I'd love to see a team from Leinster win the AI to stick it to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭usernamethatsnotinuse

a leinster beating a munster team!! thats crazy talk

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Kilkenny hurling and the upcoming round of games and where we may stand after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Mankbag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

I expected Offaly to win last night but not as comfortably as it transpired, that group had high expectations since u14 when they made a Tony Forrestial final losing it to Tipp, beating Dublin by 9 points in the semi final a few weeks ago also suggested they were a serious side, think there seen as the best Offaly underage team in a long time, definitely a decade maybe even 15-20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

There's no doubt offally have got their house in order and fair play to duignan and all involved. U20 football and now leinster hurling is a good going.westmeath have being putting in the work underage and kildare have also made strides.I know its not great when it's at our teams expense but it's great to see the progress being made.We've sat on our hands in kilkenny for the last 15 years at underage and history shows winning teams are backboned by underage success.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭conor05

I have to say the standard of the Joe McDonagh cup is getting higher and higher each year.

I watched Kerry v Offaly in Tralee on the stream last Saturday and the skill level and intensity was huge.

Westmeath won the Joe McDonagh cup last year and went toe-to-toe with Kilkenny for 50mins and drew with Wexford.

I personally think the hurling landscape is changing, Offaly are going to be a force to be reckoned with in about 5 years again, Kildare also and a lot of new clubs etc are popping up in Kerry and they are surrounded by serious hurling counties.

Antrim are at a bit of a disadvantage isolated up in the very North surrounded by all football counties but they seem to be going well this year too and could beat offaly in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Any news on whether Huw makes it for saturday?

From what I heard they were hoping to have huw back for the leinster final should we get there. Kk will be happy enough the way things are going we lost one match by a point we easily could of drew albeit galway were better on the day but they were home and we gave away alot of easy scores. I think Richie Reid is a better option at 6 instead of deegan. No one will get carried away with last Saturday,our puckouts and deliveries aren't at the level of the few top teams. Kk never do complacency and they should bring a good performance Saturday night and wexford should aswell but you'd expect us to grind it out. Wexford will probably have to go back to what worked for them under davie cause at the moment they haven't a clue what they're at and that league semi final defeat has damaged their confidence. Lads like Liam Ryan and dee o keeffe are out of form at the moment but I do expect them to bring a crowd and rise their game. I doubt there will be many changes from the last day.

Fergal horgan is the ref and he's the best in the business. Alot of talk about players feigning injuries at the moment but it has creeped into the game and I know its impossible to see everything but they need more help from linemen and umpires. Simon donohoe is wexfords biggest culprit as we all seen against gleeson in that semi final.i hope refs eventually punish players who feign injury but I'd be suprised if we haven't got some sort of video evidence in the next few years.its only a matter of time.

The u20s will be up against it Sunday it would be a huge boost to the county if they could get a win. Its a young team so hopefully this will stand to them. Any word on Harry shine?

• Advertisement

Harry Shine is meant to be missing according to Richie Power earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭Rosita

A couple of points: Wexford cannot just decide to ignore months of preparing and go back to what they did a few years ago overnight. They are what they are now. If Kilkenny are performing well with any shout of progressing they will win with a bit to spare.

As for " feigning injury", you are forgetting that even attempting to strike a player is an offence. And the primary onus is on the player who strikes/offends. That's the reality. Let players not swing the hurley, or elbow, at opponents. The game will be no worse off without such things despite the strange equivocation of some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

Wexford will come with everything this weekend. The black and amber to Wexford is like a red rag to a bull. It will be a great test for this KK team. Physical tough game. Hopefully KK will come through it without any major injuries. Should be a thriller.

Cant see it, they've not been going well at all. Would be very surprised if its anything like previous years matches

I know wexford can't just turn it on like a switch and play the system that davey used but I'd be shocked if they don't go with a sweeper. I think Kevin foley is only sub so maybe he'll start thats what I meant.

If anyone here has played hurling at any kind of a level they will know there was always digging and heavy hitting but players didn't go down as if they were shot. Its 30 lads with hurls all after the one ball. The game has changed over the last few years and you simply can't be loose with the hurl but lads going down rolling around taking off the helmet after a tip is a trend in the game now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Ripping off the helmet and the medics running on immediately is definitely gone crazy. Even the minors in the Leinster Final were at it. Players might get a knock on the arm or leg and the helmet is ripped off as if they're murdered.

Wexford whole season depends on this game, so I agree if there is anything in these yellowbellies (which the last 5 years shows there is) they will give Kilkenny plenty of it.

You're getting too fixated on previous form, yes it matters but look at Cork at the weekend v Waterford when they were fighting for their season. Cork were not playing well up to this and every media pundit and forum had them 4th in Munster and they went down to Walsh Park like a pack of wolves who hadn't been fed in a week.

Wexford may not win on Saturday night but they are going to die with their boots on and throw the kitchen sink in a knockout match v Kilkenny.

if they have to leave the field to get treatment and wait to be let back on it might cut out some of that. bit harsh on legitimate injuries but its getting ridiculous alright

Expect they’ll fight and give it a good go alright, Wouldn’t want to be complacent. Be surprised if it’s within 5 points at the end though.

I think it was more a case of Waterford not turning up, they were shocking, one eye on the Munster final. They’re lucky now Clare have nothing to play for. Hoping the fact that Kk could be knocked out, however unlikely, would be enough to avoid a similar performance

• Advertisement

There's no way kk will be complacent under cody. He always gives every team the respect they deserve.i know a different manager but the last few years wexford have really troubled kk and there has being little or nothing between the teams. We all know If wexford have anything in the belly at all they will throw everything at us. Wexford haven't being going well since the Waterford match but they drew with galway and lost to Dublin by a point but they got sucked into a dogfight against westmeath and were very wasteful and maybe had their eye on this match saturday.Dont forget westmeath gave as good as they got for 50 mins against kk and caused dublin problems also. We all agree we're not as good as we showed last Saturday but Dublin just blew up and they seem to have a mental barrier when it comes to kk. Wexford on the other hand will absolutely raise their game and they've had success underage and senior in kk so that won't faze them. They also have a couple forwards something Dublin don't have and chin,conor mac and Rory o could cause us bother. I'd like to see mikey butler go after Rory o and deegan will probably pick up chin. Delaney and McDonald should be a good tussle. It's a big day for delaney. They will try isolate him and Tommy Walsh.Lawor is a big loss.Hanlon has followed tj in the past and pauidi foley on wally.If wexford go with a sweeper I'd be much happier with Richie Reid as our loose man he just needs to improve the deliveries like most of our lads when giving ball into the forwards. Mullen especially against laois and dublin was very accurate. Himself and Murphy are accurate from distance so this is a big plus.Wally will be anxious for a good performance after being taken off at half time but his form has being very good to now. Padraig is a little concern after a good league he was poor against galway and taken off the last day. Hopefully he can go well Saturday. Mossy usually follows up a good game with a bad one and we mightnt see him for a few weeks again but mossy is a lad I like and gives us something different in attack. Not the most stylish but he's hurling is improving. He can never be faulted for effort. Kenny settled early the last day getting an early score Hopefully he goes well he definitely has good potential just maybe needs to fill out a little more. On paper anyway we've a much better bench than wexford and Billy and donnelly are very good subs to bring on when the game opens up. James maher,browne and blanchfield are also good options.

If galway beat Dublin and we lose we still qualify for the leinster final unless we get bet over 10 points.We all seen what cork done last weekend when no one gave them a hope. There could be a big twist in this round Robin yet. We know what kk will bring Saturday night and I'd be suprised If wexford don't come all guns blazing but we should have our homework done and we should be ready.The mood in our camp has to much better than wexfords. We've met each other enough recently and know what to expect. I just wonder will that westmeath result be hanging over them. Confidence must be low after a result like that. Kk could try go after them early and put doubts in their head straight away.

Good post and sums up Saturday evening perfectly.

I also feel they will try and get Conor McDonald one on One as much as possible v Delaney.

No doubt about it. Conor mac might suit him but I would be worried about delaneys pace. He hasn't much hurling done either but he is a good hurler. Conor mac is dangerous on his day but he sometimes doesn't put it on the scoreboard.Its a big day for delaney,hopefully it goes well for him.He looked to be our full back before he got injured a few years ago.we need to get the matchups right.Rory o Connor and chin have caused us plenty of trouble the last few years.im looking forward to the match its probably our last home match of the year,hopefully lads get out and support the team instead of waiting for us to lose and come on here looking for cody to go.

Would be more worried about the half forward line and midfield than the backs. Dublin were well on top in the first half the last day. TJ, Wally and Padraig barely touched the ball. Hope to see some improvements here before the next day

At least we got to half time the last day before the first substitution, no shortage of players that are good coming on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Any mad rumours this week???

Id imagine the same team that started the last day will be very close to starting again tomorrow.

Maybe with maybe blanchfield coming in and T walsh to lose out with deegan reverting to corner back.

The half forward line needs to do more damage. Walter and padraig were flying in the league but have been quiet enough the last few days. Both need a big game if they start

Tommy Walsh is a better back than Deegan. I'd move Deegan out the field, but it won't happen. Walter played well up to the last day, Padraig is off form longer.

Been a poor week for rumours :)

Would prefer to see Deegan tried out in midfield than corner back. Think Padraig was always going to struggle there against Dublin, should hopefully get a bit more space this week

Cork beat Kilkenny and Clare in last year's championship. There's was always going to be a game in Walsh Park same as there was when Waterford played Tipperary. Cork have a good game or two in them.

Wexford, on the other hand, are an illusion. In the last four championships (including the one they won in Leinster in 2019) they gave played 14 games against 8 counties and won just three. Two of those were against Laois and Carlow. The only significant day they did not fail was the 2019 Leinster final.

If Kilkenny lose this it is a catastrophic result. To not win with some degree of comfort would be an early hint of a short summer. None of this is to say that Wexford won't come out fighting but their form line both long and short term is not good.

• Advertisement

Pessimism/optimism doesn't really come into it. Some people appear to be bigging this up into a huge cliffhanger. Obviously it's significant as there is a set of circumstances which could knock Kilkenny out. But in reality Kilkenny are playing a team which could not beat Dublin (beaten by Kilkenny by 17 points, or Westmeath (beaten by Kilkenny by 16 points). Every game has its own dynamic and its quite possible that it'll be a close very competitive game. But Wexford's record is there for a reason, including a poor ability to score goals in really competitive games, and makes Kilkenny very solid favourites. I'd expect a hard-fought contest but with Kilkenny pulling away well towards the end.

Advertisement