Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭50HX

Does all this big money for heavy cattle translate to a demand for lighter stores at the back end of the year or will ration/fodder price but people off I wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭kk.man

• Registered Users Posts: 18,520 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I hope you are right

There is probably too big a fear now of costs at present. By my calculations it will cost me about 130/ head extra to finish cattle this year compared to an average over the last 3-4 years.

Beef price is up my 80c/ kg of what I was paid last year on average. That equates to 264 euro on a 330 kg DW carcase.

As I often said ration and diesel can not be too dear for Irish farmers.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

Bags of ration went up another euro a bag in castleisland yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭orm0nd

an AAX cow made that sort of money in Ennis last Thursday ,

I seen reports of cont. cows making over €3k in a few marts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭DBK1

Is there any way of looking back at the sales prices on the marteye app? Maybe it’s just me but I’d comfortably have Marteye down as only a very poor relation to the other mart sales apps. It’s very badly set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭k mac

Is there any value in any cattle at the minute...I was hoping to buy a few light angus or Hereford heifers but they are probably the dearest going!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Depends on what you’d do with them. Finish in the shed this side of Xmas? Or out of the shed in Feb/March? Or off grass next May?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

I think that is the question that always needs answering before you buy cattle. There is value out there but you need to know what you are doing

Young lad was watching girth a lea last night a 444kg 28 month old HE heifer made 940 euro. If you put 150 kgs on her over the summer at 4.5/kg she would make 1350 euro at the back end of the year

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭Dunedin

444kgs at 28 months???? I’d be leaving her there…..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

The lessor one's walk up the kill line the same as the show one's. Granted she wouldn't break any records for price or performance but beef is the name of the game let it be P or E grade atm. All you have to do is get her fat and if she left a hundred or 2 it's all money. Its the same thing buying for €1000 and selling for €1300 as buying a better one at €1800 and taking €2200. The only difference with the dearer one is they look nicer around the house and you've more money tied up if thing's go wrong.

Ya I reckon she is good for 3-400 euro before the end of the year. A lad I know bought AA 28-30 month old heifers last October they were 440kgs. He weighted them 5-6 weeks ago they are 550+ at present.

By August they will average 650+kgs. Age weights as the saying goes. There is a nice twist in that heifer. Would I buy her no. But that is not game I am in

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Ballymac123

Lads what's yer opinions on weanlings at August September, will prices go back or improve?? Costs have obviously gone up but will the new measures (15000) help the situation

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭Grueller

"Up to" €15000. Will the Government actually implement what the EU have said they are allowed to? It is not even clear if it is EU funded or whether it will be exchequer funding or 50:50. There will also be conditionality. I wouldn't start spending it just yet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I think it'll be 2023 before you can apply for that magical lump sum for the EC.

And even then, they haven't announced that it would be "new funding". That is, it would come from the existing budget and most likely from pillar-2 which provides funding for GLAS, organics, TAMS, etc.

So, if they are giving with one hand, they will take with the other.

It's easy for the EC/DAFM to make big announcements, but nothing is ever as good (or as bad) as the media say.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

What would yearling angus and Hereford heifers bucket reared between 250 to 300 kgs be worth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I saw 2 smashing wh yierlings 305 kg make 800 in listowel but the general run is double the weight and 100 euro with it so 250 kg might hit 600 and 300 should make 700 euro .Small enough money in my book

Thanks I was thinking around the 700 mark....as long as there is no jersey in them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Good loser

You can watch trade live in the marts with a phone app. Very easy to operate once installed. Anyone in a mart office will fix you up. You will need a 'modern' phone. Posssible also to watch recordings later - from some marts I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

If the EU want to help protect agriculture etc. Link the payments to the inflation index and back date that for the last few years.

The 15k is a joke otherwise.

• Advertisement

Where payments are linked to production it is not in a farmers advantage. Many will produce excess product which reduces prices to consumer and increases the profit of retailers and processor's.

When decoupling came in beef was 85p/lb or 2.38/ kg. Since decoupling the direct payments have reduced to 60% in monetary terms, however indirect payments (GLAS and TAM) have increased.

Beef prices have increased as well. Before this year on a 7-10 year average we were probably @4/ kg or about a 70% increase.

Yes inputs increased but the market is starting to return the difference. As well for those buying dairy calves there price has reduced in real terms since the decoupling.

The 15k will not be given to every farmer. It's a limited percentage of the Pillar2 budget. As well it's will not be paid until October 2023 si I am not exactly getting excited about it.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

Who will qualify for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,768 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

So much for weight limits.

CHX Bullock 925kilos making a phenomenal €3000 3.24/kg

Facebook

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,253 ✭✭✭tanko

I saw a 14 Lim cow 610 kgs make €2080 today.

The 2 that came in after him were no small bullocks either! Anyone know his age?

The AA bullocks at €2170 are the dearest yet I think, somewhere around 600kg if I remember correctly. I don't know what beef price would be wanted to balance them up but I don't think €6 would come close.

I imagine they weighted them in suitability sized bunches. That's how we'd work it anyway, divide in 2 or whatever fits. Gross weight comes up as X amount divided by the amounts of heads on the scales, repeat as necessary, add all together when everything weighted and average weight on the board then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,768 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I dropped into Ennis mart earlier. Anything with weight, regardless of age or gender, is making great money. Where are the weight/age limits now? I hope it continues.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement

I don't think weight limits would be mentioned at all at the present time. Once it has flesh, 4 legs, a head and a blue card it will do the finest. The trade seems to be strengthening by the hour from what I see each day.

Advertisement