Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

She-Hulk - Disney+ (***Spoilers***)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Superhero landings! 🙂 How can I not remember any big jumping like that since the Bana movie?

There must have been some scenes of big jumps in the MCU before now right?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

The first Avengers movie maybe? Think he jumped around NYC a bit. 😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,184 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,521 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

from the trailer, is Marvel getting to the parody stage?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Iron Man is surely the biggest culprit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,951 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The CGI really doesn't look great. I think it's because it's just her face but green, whereas with Hulk because it's not exactly Ruffalo's face it's not as noticeable. Hopefully won't detract too much. It looks pretty fun though, and I know a lot of people don't seem to have liked Smart Hulk in Endgame, but I enjoyed it a lot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Looks like a bit of fun, though it'd be cool if they fully committed to the lawyer part and had it just about her travails of a law career mixed with occasional hulk outs. Doesn't need big conspiracies or whatnot to work.

As to the CGI, it's not bad, but I see why it's a bit funny looking all the same. She just looks like a greener, taller version, rather than something monstrous like Mr Hulk, so the Uncanny Valley alarm goes off quicker.

Must check Shang Chi again but hadn't he gone back to human Banner by then? Or was it just the holo call portraying him that way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

think i'll pass

Yeah, but I think there was also an official set-photo (not a leak) from She-Hulk released showing him in Banner form too, so maybe he'll find a way to be able to change between the two during the show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,757 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Abomination is in it so that alone will have me watching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,699 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I adore that Tim Roth is back. Great casting it seems, but the CGI seems dodgy and tbf it's starting to rack up complaints for the MCU as a whole, not entirely baseless.

eg.

Completely unrelated to this I'd watched several seasons of Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law recently. This is not that, but if people are interested it's basically the same tangential premise, superhero attys for superhero clients, except birdman was an attorney for fred flintstone, the jetsons, and everyone else you could think Hanna Barbara had a hold of.

In fairness they used to just swap out Bill Bixby for Lou Ferrigo so *shrug* Imagine if Malslanny just played Jennifer Walters and some WNBA player comes in when she hulks out, fandom would be split down the middle between people loving the 80s series throwback and angry at the cost cutting.

What would worry me is that if it's a case that Bruce can switch between Human and Hulk at will that he has reason to be Hulk in the relevant scenes because that would be a massive waste of cgi money if he could have played out as human.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

I wouldn't worry about the quality of the CGI work. The show is still 3 months away so no doubt they are still refining it. There have been may times in the past that the trailer for a movie has been criticised for having ropey looking effects but the fact is they are usually still refining the look right up until the last minute. I'd reserve judgement until the show is actually broadcast.

I don't even mind if the CGI is bad as long as the story and acting are good and Tatiana Maslany certainly knows how to act.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Without checking, did Marvel change their FX houses? Or is it simply a case if having things fast, cheap or good and you gotta pick two ... cos iirc Thanos looked great back in 2018, both present with some heft in the scene and fairly emotive too.

My reaction was that they were moving Hulk from Movie budget to TV budget.

Visual effects seem to be tiered and my impression is that TV shows have to use them sparinginly compared to films. Many, I think, figure out story tricks and such not to need to use them for chunks of time. That can be good for a show like if a big special effect tech/powerup or something comes along and saves the day at a last minute. Likewise.. when one comes along and moves a baddies plot along to make em more ominious or powerful than seemed previously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,192 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I was kind of looking forward to this....really good actress in the lead (she is outstanding in orphan black)

But this trailer doesn't seem great...the tone seems a bit odd...CGI dodgy...

The title is a bit cheesy as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭brianregan09

The CGI has always been ropey in places but it's never taken away from anything cos the content ,story etc is enough to keep me engaged , you bring up Thanos but in the same infinity war we saw a bruce banner head floating free flow in the Hulkbuster armor lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,757 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wonder is this where we will get the reported Disney+ Daredevil introduced by the back door in a lawyer vs. lawyer court room scene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,169 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

But who would win? And sure we've already seen him in the MCU.

Kingpin because something about them fighting was his plan all along? 😁

Oh yeah forgot Banner in the hulkbuster suit. I retract my praise of Infinity War then lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

They redid the entire Sonic movie after initial reviews of his portrayal in the trailer- They'll bump it up yet

They delayed the Sonic movie in order to do it though, and no one really notices when Sonic might move funnily as he doesn't look human. She-Hulk is out in about 3 months and they're more restricted in what they can do.

I think they'll definitely improve it before it comes out, especially given the feedback it's received thus far, but there's also only so much they can do. The fact she looks almost entirely like the actress but green means any imperfections are going to be more noticeable than the likes of Smart Hulk (which is based on Ruffalo's face but not a 1-to-1 copy like with She-Hulk) or Abomination. They seem to have gone full CGI whereas maybe makeup would have been a better choice for close-ups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,699 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

But then how do you scale, I guess would be the next issue.

I can't speak for their production expertise but you'd also think they'd apply the tricks used in Hobbit and Lord of the Rings to force her perspective.

But, for Marvel shows maybe this approach was too daunting or restricting, they'd have to set up very very many peter-jackson level clever shots for whats supposed to be a television show with a slightly less performative budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,562 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

That trailer Tbh looks crap, green painted face ffs, worse than lou showing up as the hulk

Is that why they are going the comedy route

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Iron man and War machine suits when they'd the faceplates open were CGI from the chin down then raised a bit when in scene with others, same for those time travel suits they'd in Endgame. They face swapped for the their past doubles when you'd needed to see both.

Should have just used her actual face, with a mix of practical makeup and CGI enchantments.

I mean mostly just for the close-up shots, painting might have been the better option as any need for scaling would be minimal.

• Advertisement

The character of She-Hulk looks like her normal appearance, just green, larger and muscular. Whereas the like of Hulk's facial features deform a bit and don't look like their own face.

Regardless, they're going the comedy route because for the most part in the comics, She-Hulk is more comedic than others. She breaks the 4th wall a bit like Deadpool (though not nearly as much) and in general she's just a funny character. So they're bringing that from the comics to the show.

Advertisement