Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Curiousness99

i Had planned on getting panels installed on a south facing roof. However is there any merit to getting some panels on a west facing roof instead as it might mean I get more solar later in the day? I am slightly oversizing the system so it might mean I use more of it later on the day or are the timing differences marginal…

thanks

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Go South and west if you can. Nothing wrong with oversizeing the setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭WHL

Hi. My usage is about 6500 kW per year and I have a south facing roof. I got a quote as follows:

4.48kW

14 x 320W panels

Solis Hybrid Inverter

3.5 kW battery

Power Diverter

No manufacturer listed. €8,600 after grant

How does this look to meet my needs Would have thought that the solar storage and the battery mode would have been a bit larger. Slightly expensive?

Any thoughts?

I was about to say its ok but then I noticed the panels. 320w is very low these days you should be aiming for 380w to 400w plus. That would be a near 6kwh set up.

If you get those sizes I would suggest a 6kwh hybrid inverter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭con747

I would go 5kw at least. Depending on the battery make it might only discharge 80%, some discharge 90% under warranty.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Personally I would double it and if you can afford it triple it.. What battery type is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭burdburd

On the roof rail supply lead time (delay).

RECESSED INSTALLATION

I have a old slate roof and am re-slating in coming months....remove slates, battens then add membrane, new battens and replace slates. I am Mid terrace with a full north and south elevation. I need to retain original Bangor blue Welsh slate however, I am thinking rather than rail mounting over expensive slate... I could recess the pv as I have seen in some installations. I think they are fitted atop the battens directly. I could avoid cost of slate on South. Elevation.

Anyobe confirm the detail of mounting integrated/PV panels?

Or which installers offer them?

Much appreciated

Alex

I think those are flat plate water heating panels, not Solar PV that you have seen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭BoxerX

I read an article on this, it is said the only small negative is less cooling for the panel, but there are positives too like less wind load. If you like I can PM you the article?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

A caveat, which might be a delaying factor, from the SEAI installer guide, and could affect the payment of grant money

The following mounting configurations are not considered acceptable (without prior written approval BEFORE installation by SEAI) for the Scheme.

• Horizontal or Vertical mounted (i.e., laid flat on roof or ground, or fixed flat to wall or another surface).

• Building Integrated PV (BIPV), i.e., where solar PV is used to replace traditional building materials such as glazing or cladding.

• Solar Tiles, Coatings or Flexible Solar Membranes.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

Hi guys, just looking for some feedback on a couple of quotes- Hoping for a system with the shortest pay back time. Retired couple, Small terraced house, only room for 8 panels. Average bill €260 every 2 months. South facing. Standard immersion type hot water system but heated from gas boiler. Don’t ask me why they didn’t just fit a timer to the immersion instead of having to go upstairs, move the hand valves and switch on the gas boiler. No dishwasher either, again I don’t know why but age is a factor.

Both quotes are for a 3kwp array of 8 panels

Quote 1.

8 panels

2.4kwh battery and Eddi diverter

Comes in €8100 after grant

Quote 2.

8 panels

NO BATTERY

Eddi diverter

€6800 after grant

Similar spec on each quote.

Is the battery worth an extra €1300 given the longer payback ?

I know I like being off grid for large portions of the day because the battery negates the need for the grid when a load comes on. I’m leaning towards it being a nice addition to a complete system that allows you to take full advantage of the south facing roof.

If you are in Leinster (and moreso Dublin) then go with the Solar as a Service for €30 per month over 10 year - so total after grant of €3600.

Should I pay an extra 1k for Huawei inverter and battery compared to a solis inverter pure battery

Saw some youtube video suggesting solis was better in low light conditions

Anyone have ideas?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭golfhead

Any thoughts on this quote?

This is inclusive of VAT and before SEAI grant

Install of 4.92 kWp Solar Photovoltaic system including black mono panels, Single String Standard Invertor, Isolators € 9,600

Batteries & Chargers

Supply and Install of 5.3 kWhr PV battery, 8 modules can be connected together €3,000

Additional 5.3kWhr PV Battery in addition to above € 2,500

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Straight answer is no, the solis is not flash but dose the job brilliantly. Save your grand or put up more panels. I would go with more panels

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

The increase in prices lately is crazy, so much so that it would be cheaper to keep paying higher electricity bills-

Say 7k for something that might save you €500 a year, 14 years is a ridiculous pay back period.

I see the attraction with the pay by month but I think In my case they were hoping to ‘invest’ their money in solar so that they would get a return on it, with the current quotes they could be six foot under before breaking even.

I will take your advice and keep ringing around or wait for the slow down 👍🏻

• Advertisement

Thanks Maulbrook - JA Solar Panels, Solis inverter and PylonTech battery

Already planning on getting 20, what about over sizing a system😅

From a purely financial perspective I don't think solar makes sense based on current prices

Will there be a slowdown, definitely at some point

Will it be much cheaper, profit margin yes but equipment I'd say could be quite a while

What got me over the line is doing my bit for the environment which includes getting a EV, and being less reliant on utility companies

Plus I've wasted plenty of money on other less worthwhile stuff over the years

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭burdburd

A ha, OK. Makes sense they could well be water heater panels thx

@BoxerX please send on article when you have a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

From a purely financial perspective I don't think solar makes sense based on current prices

Really? Yeah, I know installation prices have increased a lot recently......but so has the electricity price. Six months ago, last December I was paying €0.22/unit day rate. Now I see in my latest bill it's €0.31/unit day rate, so an increase of ~41%.

Assuming it was just break even previously (which we know it wasn't... but let's say it was) for solar to be non-financially viable now installations would have to have increased by more than 41%. Sure installations costs have gone up, maybe 20%.....but 40%+? I don't see it myself - but maybe I'm missing something.

No, I think even with all the increases solar is still a worthwhile investment fiscally. Sure.....100% there will be edge cases where it's simply not worth doing the install based on the consumption, or the profile but for the vast majority I think people will "win" long term even today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭deravarra

Hi all. I have a date for install - May 25th!

Going with SAAS - 12 x 370.

Just wondering about the weather. We have a forecast of rain on the day of install. How much will that affect installation?

TBH that's a question for the installer and the weather God's. Just sit back and let it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭deravarra

Getting a bit giddy with the excitement!

Can't wait to be sharing the details on a regular basis.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement