Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

I feel for you with a young family, however you're asking conditional questions to which you know the answer and the answers are based on probabilities.

It seems you don't want to emigrate or have concerns. I can understand that too. Just not sure what I can do to help.

We were in the UK for a while with our kids, it's difficult moving and it's surprising how nice Ireland actually is when abroad. It wasn't the worst move, there were highlights but glad to get back. Good luck on the move abroad, you seem like a nice person, just don't know what I can do to help at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

All actions taken on a micro level make up the big picture, including the decisions of individual institutionals and policy makers. However, with particular reference to institutionals, while they are significantly involved in new housing, as a proportion of the larger housing market their activity is relatively low. I think in a lot of respects, given the different moving parts and stakeholders, the macro view on housing is not the most accurate way to assess its state. I think it is harder to make predictions with macro factors alone and the micro level of activity (eg FTBs using HTB on new builds, older couples downsizing, couples picking a rental to move into, subsequent home buyers of 4 bed semi-Ds in South Dublin, KW setting rents at €3k+ pm for their Capital Dock development, Minister O'Brien introducing legislation to cap rent increases at 2% pa etc) when picked apart, does give a much clearer view of the Irish housing market than looking at macro trends (eg mortgage drawdown activity increased X% since last year, 90% of new apartments did not make it to the private market for purchase by individuals). It's a bit more tedious but the market is basically dozens or hundreds or thousands of sub-markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Im not speculating on the likelihood of crashes (my own view of what's "likely" is flat lining property prices with huge general price inflation in the economy peaking at 10% this year [Ukraine conflict isn't in the food prices yet] with ECB base rates of 0.5% to 1.0% by year end with more to come in '23) but the actions of the biggest player in the market (the state) will determine what happens to residential prices in my opinion.

Will they continue to keep the HAP and Homeless HAP chequebook open - probably. The radio had the story of a family in Dublin 15 entitled to 1950 on homeless HAP of 1950 per month or just shy of 24k a year. That's a big chunk of a wage for a higher rate tax payer (48k earned at the higher rate to get 24k net) so that's one juicy subsidy from the state. As long as the state is handing out such amounts, why would REITs/funds/landlords drop the rent? The state will be able to muddle through for a few years before this gets wholly unsustainable. Hell, they may get to a next election and leave the next crowd with an all merciful mess to fix.

Will the state continue to keep buying turnkey properties at high prices? - yes. 5 billion "housing for all" will see to that. They are even showing they are willing to throw half a billion to developers to build apartments but put it through the heritage budget and call it something fluffy "as gaeilge" so people mightn't notice

If a developer gets into a bit of hassle and starts to struggle to sell to private buyers (horses get spooked, interest rates, general uncertainty, belief a crash is coming), do you think the state will stay on the sidelines and say "Weren't you a silly lad paying all that money for land and building properties"? In the short term some public servant will be authorised to purchase more to house a few more people on the list so targets can be exceeded and be seen to be delivering "real houses for real people" (I don't know where the fake people are, I wonder who'll think of them. This again will support a floor on house prices.

Exit strategy for a REIT or opportunistic fund is the unknown in my mind - will they be able to sell the units individually to buyers (will planning allow and does design of block allow) or will they have to sell in bulk to some other fund? Would they even need to sell at all? I wonder who would be one of the first people for them to call if they did have to sell in a hurry? Again, they may sell direct to the state or better yet, agree a long term lease with a council, state guaranteed on upward only CPI and sell to a pension fund who is happy to take Irish government counterparty risk with a nice yield uplift versus a sovereign bond and run for the hills.

The people that make the decisions to purchase and lease on behalf of the state have zero incentive to drive a hard bargain - they'll pay what's asked. Why would they put a commercial hat on and say "we're the only show in town, X million, take it or leave it". People who think like that are on the other side of the trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

Indo reporting that many mortgage holders are switching from trackers to fixed rates

Poorly advised imo another potential investigation in the future

• Advertisement

Excellent points and well made. Not to dumb it all down but what I get from your post is that the big question is whether there is in fact a magic money tree that FF and FG have been hiding from us the last few years!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,500 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

They can revert back to trackers after fixed rate ends. However I would be slow to change from a tracker even at that. It's unlikely that we will see interest rates hit much above 2%. The economy is not designed to takes rates above that anylonger

Slava Ukrainii

These properties are valued on the extortionate tax free rents so are way overpriced for private buyers who have to pay tax.

Construction industry have stated that apartments are "more expensive" to build so between reits/investment funds and construction industry, they have been allowed to control supply and therefore price.

My bet is that many will be offloaded on the state through various mechanisns. Some posters claim that because these investment funds are funding these builds, they are carrying the risk. Let see who's holding the bomb when the music stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,034 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

friends of ours were interested, agents said they had so much interest that they were selective in who got a viewing appt and all are gone they say...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭DataDude

Wow - that’s remarkable. Makes me feel very good about our purchase so! Look forward to seeing them hit the PPR.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,754 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'm not at all surprised they sold, they really are beautiful houses in walking distance to the town centre and the Dart. Definitely better value for money out there as DataDude alluded to but I don't think you'd ever be disappointed or regret one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭combat14

the warnings have started ..but will they be headed!

Homeowners could pay €400 extra a month if interest rates ‘normalised’

Head of Bonkers.ie warns of potential impact if ECB raises rates amid soaring inflation

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/homeowners-could-pay-400-extra-a-month-if-interest-rates-normalised-1.4881248

What do you mean will they be heeded? What are you expecting people to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,500 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Mist of the investors in Apartment development are pension funds. They can carry the risk. There will be no pressure on them to sell. They have been involved in renting properties all over the world for the last 50+years. It's just part of a portfolio. The unit values in the fund go up and down as the rent varies but there is no panic to sell a property as the money is not borrowed. I cannot understand how people cannot understand that.

Any projected rise will mostly effect first time borrowers. Most other mortgage's are on a 3+ year fixed rate. If you bought a house 3+ years ago and are coming off a fixed rate so what. You will have purchased a house 20 %+ below present values. As well your fixed rate then is probably the same as the new fixed rates are now.

You wages may have risen by 10%+ since you bought the house. New fixed rates seldom increase by the same rate as variable rates. Very few use variable any longer.

Variable are raising by 1%. On a 300k loan that is 3k/year or 250/month. That increase will see us probably to the end of the year.

Chicken Licken is running around again

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Many of these companies are based in the Bay Area as well, much worse problems than Ireland. It is not a major factor.

The bay area has massive recruitment problems - theres a reason companies are expanding more regionally in Texas, Oregon, and the East Coast US also. It simply isnt feasible to keep attracting enough staff to Bay Area campuses anymore - you can expand much quicker and more affordable by doing it regionally.

Same is being seen in parts in Europe now, as Dublin becomes too expensive companies with no other Irish offices will consider recruiting to other European offices. In our field there has never been more recruiters looking to recruit from Ireland to work outside of Ireland. UK and France (regional cities) are really pushing to draw staff out of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,034 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

anyone with an ounce of financial knowledge is preparing for rising interest rates ideally by fixing as low and as long as they can.

I agree. I think people are panicking and rushing in here. I’m reading of people looking for 7, 10 year fixings. A bad decision IMO

The thing is, even lumping an extra 400 euro on to a mortgage, it is still likely going to be cheaper than renting a similar property.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

Nowhere in Western Europe is any cheaper than Ireland though. Sure, it's cheaper if you compare the capital of Ireland to a regional city elsewhere like you mentioned, but that's hardly comparing like for like as they could move to a regional city here where it is also much cheaper. I work in tech and one of the draws of moving back home to Ireland was how much cheaper housing is here compared to London where I lived for about a decade. Yeah, I could move to Sheffield and it'd be cheaper again, but that's because there are fewer jobs and less people wanting to live there. Ireland is not in any way exceptional in terms of the state of the housing market.

That's kind of my point, there is very little risk when

you in part control supply,

Tax free on income and capital gains,

The State underwriting your investment with the most expensive social housing policy in the world.

MNC block renting you properties for their employees.

Capture of the political system with ex party members their lobbyists.

The only issue is the degree of risk heaped on the taxpayer

This is public private partnership 2.0 with the state covering the losses and the investor capturing the profit tax free. A bit of a no brainer investment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Nowhere in Western Europe is any cheaper than Ireland though.

Uhh, you sure about that?

This puts Ireland 6th in Europe (not EU) in cost of living, including rents, purchasing power etc

This puts Ireland 11th worldwide in cost of living, 5 of those ranking higher are tiny islands like barbados or turks and caicos

Ireland average house prices against EU members and EU average (EU avg = 100) - from eurostat.

Irish Property Owners' Association and Institute of Professional Auctioneers and Valuers telling us the sky is blue and the grass is green;

“If private landlords continue to exit the market, the situation is going to get worse,” it warned.

This quote right here is where tenants and small landlords need to realise that they should not be fighting one another, but should be focusing their efforts on how the market is tilted in favour of the very tiny minority (i.e. institutionals) to the detriment of the overwhelming majority. We need to get small landlords into the market en masse and levelling the tax playing field is absolutely crucial (i.e. make institutionals pay a premium for doing business in the market compared to individual landlords since small landlords are the essential component to significantly increasing supply), incentivising smaller players (e.g. easier evictions for non/delayed rental payment) and undoing some of the institutional-lobbied policies of the last few years (e.g. RPZs and the RPZ exemptions that institutionals can use);

The report also claimed the taxation treatment of private landlords compared to institutional landlords was acting “as a serious disincentive for private landlord participation in the market”.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭tigger123

"This quote right here is where tenants and small landlords need to realise that they should not be fighting one another, but should be focusing their efforts on how the market is tilted in favour of the very tiny minority (i.e. institutionals) to the detriment of the overwhelming majority. "

Good luck getting any tenant to start advocating on behalf of a landlord. It's quite a lob-sided relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

That's not comparing like for like as Ireland's average is skewed by the massive one off houses that blight the countryside giving us a much larger average house size than most countries - eurostat doesn't have a statistic for sqm but puts us behind only Malta for number of rooms. If you look at other sources with a more accurate comparison of price per square meter such as this one: https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/region_prices_by_city then you will see that Ireland is not remotely out of the ordinary for the average person looking for an apartment or three bed semi.

so you want small landlords to compete with FTB’s…is that not just moving the problem from one area to another…

Not really

Rented houses are far more likely to have max occupants

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

the discrepancy is the cost of renting , house prices here are not out of line with other european countries of similar wealth but rents are

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

So, if people/ government stop renting expensive apartments from reits, then the ROI for investors in REITs will decline. If those investors decide to exit the REITs, the REITs may need to sell assets.

Not saying that will happen but it's not a no risk scenario.

The pendulum is shifted entirely to institutionals. First and foremost, they need to be charged a premium for doing business in our housing market. After all, as you say, demand is rock solid so they won't be going anywhere. Then use that windfall to reduce the tax burden on individual landlords. There's no silver bullet but the main point is that institutionals have controlled the FF and FG government policy which needs to be unwound now and the trend of smaller landlords leaving must be reversed which necessitates targeting the policies that favour the institutionals.

• Advertisement

Reducing tax on individual landlords won’t make that much of a difference because they could probably buy a Government bond and get the same return and have none of the hassle of renting out a property.

The biggest driver for lower individual landlords is the fact that unless they are a cash investor they will struggle to get lending from a bank for an investment property.

Advertisement