Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GDPR - Photographing

• 17-05-2022 8:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I know that - in general - that you can’t be recorded where you have an expectation of privacy.

If you feel that you have been recorded - such as in your front garden while laying a drive by a busy body neighbour - how can you prove to the DPC that it did occur and what can they do about it.

(To avoid any hassle we will put up temporary hoarding - it’s all very frustrating)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

What? Why would a busy body neighbour have any interest in photographing you? And why would it matter? Maybe get someone else to do the job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I don't think you have any way of getting the DPC to do anything for you in this case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

There wouldn’t appear to be any GDPR matter arising nor is it something which is likely to concern the DPC.

The actions by the neighbour which you describe would be very unlikely to constitute an offence. If it were to be a sustained pattern of photography together with other elements, there could be cause to report the matter to the Garda on the basis that it amounted to harassment - but such would be a long way from you describe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,826 ✭✭✭✭28064212

You acknowledge you can't be recorded where there is an expectation of privacy. Presumably, you acknowledge that you can be recorded where there isn't an expectation of privacy. What isn't clear is why you seem to believe you have an expectation of privacy in your front garden?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭karlitob

I accept that this is the front garden and of course can be seen from the roadside. What I don’t expect is to be recorded when I’m on my front garden - whatever I am doing - by someone recording from their sitting room window. This is surveillance from my perspective and if I am being recorded I think I have rights under GDPR, or at least an arguable case

https://www.newstalk.com/news/is-your-video-doorbell-illegal-under-gdpr-1281674

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭karlitob

There’s a long back story. There is a sustained pattern of recording, harassment and nuisance. Thanks for reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Does GDPR even come into it if they aren't doing anything with the footage?

Where is the neighbour located? Can you do anything to block their view?

Have you lodged complaints with the Gardai?

Advertisement