Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

Jaysus f christ - yet another hatchet job DaCor?

I eagerly await your similar treatment of all private investments in the renewable energy sector.

But what do you expect to happen when the minister in charge is actively stonewalling the company?

I reckon time Providence takes mr Ryan and friends to task for same.

Also in Norway...

Norway offers offshore licences to 28 oil & gas firms amid ‘great interest’

The Norwegian Ministry of Petroleum and Energy has offered production licences to 28 companies for further exploration activity on the Norwegian continental shelf as part of the Award in Pre-Defined Areas 2021 (APA 2021).

Since when are facts hatchet jobs? Did I misunderstand their share price history? Feel free to elaborate on what I got wrong in relation to it.

Like I keep saying, this is all verifiable info, go ahead and look it up yourself.

Here's another verifiable fact for you, that company you love so much, guess how many staff are working there, I'll give you a hint, count your thumbs.

A major exploration company they ain't. It's little wonder they are struggling and so many have concerns (the govt, investors, contractors etc) about doing business with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Total red herring. The strategy worked, whether its funded through a sovereign wealth fund, or EU grants, Or state borrowing.

The Hatchet job is your own bizarre and transparent attempts to paint a company involved in the Barryroe oil and gas field development as being somehow at odds or different to any other private exploration company with investors.

But again you refuse to back up the rubbish you posted about the company. Where is your link to Mr Ryans communications with Providence? Can't provide that no? So I guess still making stuff up then.

And anyone with half a brain knows that historic share price history is a reflection of the market at any given point in time, but also in this case the greens party's repeated attempts to bury the development by stonewalling it.

Tbh your fairly pathetic attempts at mud slinging are a reflection of that. And tbf between yourself, broken and eoft ' - its like you all got the same memo. The same rubbish and innuendo repeated ad nauseum. One copying from the other in increasing desperation that the development might just go through. And now you're suddenly concerned about the number of employees lol.

As asked where is your equitable treatment of various environmentally disasterous renewable energy investment companies which have seen sensitive ecological environments destroyed, the government left carrying the costs and or investors burned. Not a peep from you on any of those. Very strange all that.

And bizarrely the shyte you keep flinging at Barryroe gas field development is clearly mud slinging, not because you have any concerns for investors or employees or any other aspect of the business but rather you have openly declared yourself anti natural gas from the get go.

DaCor you've been busted. You can drop the pretext of concern. It wouldn't matter if the company developing Barryroe was a Triple A Rated, good plated investment - you'd still have the old hatchet out. Jack Nicholson wouldn't get a look in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,408 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The recent policies relating to mandating full gas reserves (90%) before this winter have absolutely nothing to do with that committee opinion from 2016

While my point about the LNG terminal not even passing the preliminary hurdle for planning approval (environmental impact assessments) is still true. Even if the UK announced tomorrow that they were blockading Irelands gas supply. The LNG proposal won't make a difference because its still at least 4 years from operation

The original link which you clearly didn't bother reading beyond the headline details the importance of EU strategic gas supplies. The same is detailed in the second link including additional reasons why this is now imperative for the EU.

And as outlined the Shannon LNG which is up for a planning decision this September has been detailed as having a two year completion date, not four or ten or whatever figure your pulling out of the ether.

And the funny thing is, if it wasn't for the various 'green"' objectors - the project would already be most ways to being up and running.

But like various detractors before you on this thread, bizarrely if the development doesn't happen tomorrow- then for some odd reason you reckon the whole thing is null and void. Even though we know we face another 30 years approx where natural gas and/or LNG will remain essential to providing energy generation during that period of transition to renewable energy generation.

Better that we have it, than going looking for it when the proverbial has already hit the fan and the UK has no spare gas to give

Post edited by Mecanudo on

You seem obsessed with making this personal. It's not. Try attacking the post instead.

Well that's untrue.

Pointing out the inconsistencies and lack of substantiation in what you've posted is most certainly "attacking the post". I appreciate that you may take personally, but I've no idea why you would do so.

Perhaps providing proof of your claims regarding communications between Mr Ryan and Providence would be a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Then somebody better get the finger out because Corrib at current consumption levels has only two years supply of natural gas left. And even that would be squeezing the pips. Ban LNG and your up the Swanee without a paddle. Don`t start on rabbiting about a French inter-connector again. Best case that is 4 years away and there is not a hope in hell of it supplying anywhere close to what would be needed to filling the gap.

• Advertisement

For years we heard from greens that following Germany was the way to go. As soon as Germany announced LNG terminals, going back to strip mining coal, and even before they also went back to gas exploration, one very vocal supporter here of all things Irish Green party, that has not been around for a while, called them a bunch of Healy Rae`s. Even though her policy on buying her own coal was a bit dodgy to say the least being of the a do what I say, not what I do variety.

Lately it has become Norway we should all be following. The same posters who are on here telling us the same as we were told about following Germany telling us now that Norway is who we should be emulating, have been cheering the banning of exploration licenses for natural gas in Ireland while Norway is firing them around like confetti at a wedding.

The level of hypocrisy is off the scale.

I made claims regarding communications? Curious

You'll have to refresh my memory, where did I make such claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

Lol, of course it makes a difference where it comes from. Norway has a wealth fund of a trillion ffs. The majority of countries are not going to borrow enormous amounts for your green agenda kind of like the majority of irish people who will not put themselves in long term debt for retro fits etc when it is not economically viable. The majority of countries same as the majority of households live from fork to mouth and borrow to keep the lights on not to achieve some green wet dream.

Anyway bringing norway into any conversation is laughable, the country is still making a fortune from oil and gas. You do know none of their oil sales etc are counted in norways co2 output figures because it aint used in their country. Laugable stuff

Indeed you have. So you've forgotten already?

So back to this DaCor? You make a claim and when asked to back them up - you ignore any questions asked / then deny or question that you said anything in the first place. So yet more disinformation, deflection and denial?

You have variously detailed on more than one occasion, that Mr Ryan and his department have been in contact with the company with responsibility for the Barryroe oil and gas field, concerning that company attempting to get permission to move to the penultimate stage of the Barryroe oil and gas field development

You have been asked about that communication several times now and again and again you've ignored those questions

You claimed

"As for Ryan holding anything up, all that is being asked for is that any application include information on the companies who will actually be onsite doing the work. ...That Providence do not seem able to provide this information"

Link

Another poster then asked

"Seeing as he has refused to meet anyone connected with Barryroe, then to ask these due diligence question how were they communicated to the company"?

Lin

You replied

"important to note, both of these fell through prior to there being the additional requirement from the Dept, "

Link

The other poster then asked

"So what are these additional requirements that have been communicated to Providence?"

Link

You relied to that question with a generic copy and paste which does not refer to Barryroe at all.

"Here you go.

https://assets.gov.ie/77796/965e4661-8bde-4f9b-8bce-464c80611981.pdf"

Link

So I specifically asked

"But where exactly is the information which shows that Mr Ryan has waved said regulations before the company looking to develop the Barryroe oil and gas field to its next phase, especially as you've already suggested that these additional requirements have been communicated to Providence?

Link please to that communication"

Link

And there was no reply to that question oddly enough

Yesterday again you claimed

"They have a set list of requirements to meet. If they haven't done so, no decision will be made as their application would be incomplete. If they have fulfilled all requirements then its just a matter of waiting. It'll be decided when its decided"

Link

I once asked again for details about the communication of those 'requirements'.

"It is on record that there has been NO return communications from Mr Ryan or his department despite multiple communications from the company.

So again unless you have to some special insider link to Mr Ryan communications - you're taking complete and utter horse manure.

If you claim otherwise and as requested previously - provide a link for your claims..."

Link

So maybe this time, rather than feigning surprise when asked about the communications which you've detailed between Mr Ryan and his department and the company responsible for the development of Barryroe oil and gas field, maybe you could simply provide an answer

Or maybe you'll just ignore this as well?

Eitherway throwing unsubstantiated claims into a discussion shows that your attempts to discredit the company are little more than rubbish. No one is surprised at this stage .

Your link has nothing to do with what you say it does, and it has nothing to do with building new infrastructure. It's primarily about ensuring that non-LNG storage facilities are filled, has a small addendum on including LNG stockpiles as part of the wider Natural Gas storage figures, and recommends member states purchase LNG to fill existing storage facilities where possible.

"Member States should take all necessary measures to ensure that the mandatory filling targets are met. With a view to the different regulatory regimes already in place in many Member States to support storage filling, no specific instrument to meet the filling trajectory and reach the filling target is prescribed, and Member State enjoy freedom to choose the instrument which is most appropriate in their national system, provided the conditions in Article 6(b)(2) and (3) are respected. Member States therefore have the freedom to choose which market participant(s) to oblige to ensure the filling of the storages. They can also decide whether regulatory means, such as measures to oblige capacity holders to free up unused capacity which are possible under existing EU market rules, may be sufficient to meet the filling targets, or if financial incentives, which might constitute State aid, are necessary. Member States should use coordinated instruments, such as platforms for the purchase of LNG, with other Member States to maximise the utilisation of LNG to fill storages, and reduce infrastructure and regulatory barriers to the shared use of LNG to fill storages."

Why do you always get basic information wrong? I see your latest post is you accusing DaCor of doing exactly what you always do, deeply ironic - "Hi, I'm Mecanudo. I'll make factually incorrect statements and when you prove that they are wrong via external sources, I'll argue in bad faith for 10, 15 or 20 posts just to avoid having to admit that I was, once again, wrong on the internet".

DaCor answered Charlie14 & your's questions. You then changed the goalposts and engaged in torturous and deeply irrational arguments such as

"How can you prove that a generic list of requirements that all applications must satisfy, was communicated to this one applicant?"

"You said that if Providence have provided all the answers to the list of requirements for the application, all they must do is wait. They haven't received a response from the Department yet, which proves you're talking manure!"

Amongst others. It's genuinely shocking that you think these are rational thoughts. They're terrifyingly skewed.

Whoever the person was who said Norway was funding their green agenda by selling fossil fuels - profits from fossil fuels go to their sovereign wealth fund which is invested internationally as a future pension pot. The proceeds do not get spent on domestic 'agendas'. Less than 2% of employment is in the Oil&Gas sector.

There is an amusing correlation between anti-green (note, not anti-GP) posts and being both ignorant & badly informed. Why are you all so wantonly daft? You could literally do anything else.

I was referring to the requirements detailed in the application process, also linked to, quite recently in fact.

It's pretty obvious that is what is being referred to.

Choose to acknowledge that or dont. Either way the issue appears to be a misunderstanding on your end.

By all means, continue with your misunderstanding though. Each to their own and all that.

Anyway, moving on.....

It is very obvious at this stage.

You were doing a snow job on Ryan or his Dept having communicated a list of requirement to Barryroe when Barryroe have stated they have received no communication from either on their application from 10 months ago. When asked by the Irish Examiner recently, (post #9305), The spokesperson for Ryan`s Department reply was that the application for a lease undertaking "was under consideration"

Not " The Department has communicated a list of requirement to Barryroe and is awaiting their reply" Not "We have requested additional information from Barryroe in relation to this application" Nothing other than the application "was under consideration" So if the Department is not waiting for a reply to a list of requirement or additional information, then what has been under consideration for the last 10 months, and if there is a problem with their "consideration" then why in all this time has this not been communicated to Barryroe ?

It is very obvious at this stage that you are vehemently opposed to natural gas, similar to Ryan and the Irish Green party and others here, but not one among you has anywhere even close to a viable alternative

Well thanks for the Attack the poster compendium there Wetasanottter.

Not the first time your tried that type of crap on this thread. But yeah maybe just for once try to read what is written, rather than making up rubbish including misascribing quotes to posters, when you've obviously not read the thread and have no clue what is being referred to.

I'll leave you at it.

If you want a licence, you meet the the licensing requirements or you don't get the licence.

It's basic stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Providence Resources look like a bunch of chancers. Oil & gas companies regularly deal with dictators and totally corrupt governments. I doubt the only thing stopping them investing here is a middle aged man who's slow to respond to emails. If there was profit to be made they'd be here. There's no magic bullet to our energy needs out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

badly informed ? pot kettle black.... you do know that norway through taxation on state oil companies will take in about 55 billion thats about 50 percent of its exports in 2022 / 20 percent of its gdp and that exclude contributions to the sovereign wealth fund. Norway can also access up to 3 percent of the the sovereign wealth fund every year thats another 90 billion so it doesnt take a genius to know that norway are using this to subsidise their green lifestyle...

it really isnt that hard to be informed and less ignorant

• Registered Users Posts: 29,299 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...getting the hell away from fossil fuels as fast as possible is the only solution, but a sh1te load of investment is immediately needed for that, and that may never happen....

So do you think they should do. Try offering Ryan a bribe for a license or just go ahead without one ?

There is certainly no bullet, magic or otherwise that will help with our energy needs out there if you are determined not to at least look

So you didn't bother reading the question already asked several times now. But rather substituted your own bizarre take on it?

There's "misunderstanding" there alright. And at this stage that appears deliberate at "your end"

The question asked is how do you know that the hold up is allegedly with Providence and the requirements of the "application process"?

According to published sources we know that Providence submitted their application over 9 months ago. Following that Providence have written to Mr Ryan and his department twice since December 2021 seeking explanation as to the delay of a decision being given.

The funny thing is that absolutely nowhere has any official reason for a hold up with the application process been documented.

And indeed neither has there been any official blame been directed at Providence for failure to submit information

Yet bizarrely you claim exactly that.

"As for Ryan holding anything up, all that is being asked for is that any application include information on the companies who will actually be onsite doing the work. ...That Providence do not seem able to provide this information"

So either you are somehow privy to Mr Ryans communications with Providence or you're making it up

A link to to that claim has already been requested several times now. And you've ignored that each and every time.

So If you are going to make bizarre claims like that in the discussion, expect them to be held up to scrutiny and if you won't provide a source for those claims - then it is evident what you've written is little more than made up rubbish.

A simple link will show if your version of the story has any veracity. The ball is now in your court.

It does not answer any of the questioned I posed which leaves you looking like you have been chancing your arm on communications between Ryan and his Department and Barryroe in that your are totally opposed to natural gas in any form, and similar to the Irish Green party and their supporters you do not have a single viable alternative.

You asked a question of me that can only be answered by the Dept, recommend you send it to them however as Providence are still waiting for an answer you may have to wait too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Maybe if Bertie was still around they could try the first suggestion. Doubt they'd try the second anywhere in the world. Probably best to give up on it. It's not looking profitable. I worked with BP around the whole "Shell to Sea" time (so it was in the news) and they were all puzzled as to why the Irish thought we were going to be the next Norway. There simply isn't the reserves.

They have looked, that's the point. Nobody is interested. The world is moving away from fossil fuels so there's no point in planning massive infrastructure projects for it. Might as well leave it in the ground. We can always tap it in the future if it's really needed.

You'd have to wonder whats in store for us this year

The World Meteorological Organization has noted five extreme weather events in Ireland last year that were reported by Met Éireann.

Extreme weather is the day-to-day face of climate change according to the WMO and there was no let up on that front in 2021.

• Unusual drought/dry spell from 29 May lasting up to 30 days
    • Unusual heat wave from 16 July lasting up to 10 days
    • Unusual Heat Wave from 1 September into the following 3 months
    • Unusual extra-tropical cyclone from 26 November lasting two days
    • Unusual extra-tropical cyclone from 7 December for two days

• Advertisement

New Zealand just announced they will be zero carbon by 2050. Their climate action plan looks remarkably like our own, with many identical or very similar actions required. Its almost as if the same things are at fault and need to be fixed, no matter the country.

Some of their plans include

• the end of new offshore fossil fuel exploration
    • major investment in public transport and rail, as well as programmes to encourage New Zealanders to buy cleaner vehicles (eg, Clean Vehicle Discount).
    • improving travel choices and accessibility by providing people with more convenient, affordable and frequent buses and trains, as well as safer walkways and cycle lanes.
    • improving insulation standards so new buildings will be warmer and drier while requiring 40 per cent less energy to heat
    • helping low-income households with funding for heating and insulation upgrades through the Warmer Kiwi Homes initiative

For anyone wishing to dig deeper, see link below

Advertisement