Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 Targets

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Wottle

Two ticked off all ready and I feel I'm doing a good job listening to my body.

Seville - 3'25

Marlay Parkrun - 19'19

The mile I'll save for later and I'm currently ahead on mileage. I'd like to add a new goal and it might seem silly but not to me. I feel I'm in good shape but I've been to around this mark before, the problem is I don't kick on.

I'm sick of falling back down the ladder, only to work hard to get to the same place again. So that's it, to punch through the ceiling and find a new level of fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

For me, the goal this year is simple;

to not get injured and keep the consistency going

Of course in doing so, I hope I can have a good craic at some regular racing over the course of the year but I'd love to get to the far side of the summer with some speed back in the legs - which will only happen if I back off if\when required and don't break

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

5 months into the year.

1. Run a club race or two. For a bit of fun and to actually meet my new clubmates. Done. Not really a medal man but I've managed to collect a few Masters medals
    2. Sub 4:50 mile (4:57). Kind of done. My 1,500 race time translates to a 4:47 mile.
    3. 2:05 800 m (2:08). Just the one race at the National Indoor Masters. 2:11 for a 3rd place. A tactical race so could have run a little faster that day. Probably not near 2:05 though.
    4. 9:40 3 k (9:46). No runs yet.
    5. Somehow run higher mileage than last year (> 1,411 miles). Currently behind a little.
    6. Train a bit smarter. Nice arbitrary one. I'll have to wait until the end of the year to make a call on this.
    7. Run something in the 16:30s for 5 k (16:59). 16:31 at the Bob Heffernan & Mary Hanley 5 km. Not sure how well earned that time was but brute ignorance got me there in the last km.
    8. Get under 35:50 in 10 k (35:58) - Nothing yet and no races planned yet.
    9. Sub 60 minute 10 miler (1:00:58). 59:56(chip time) at the Trim 10 Mile. I can still see the clock clicking to 59:59 when I went under.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

Just a few comments.. No. 2 Nobody here is giving you a a mile time based off of a 1500m result, no way! 🤣 And number 7 means that number 8 is a pretty soft target 🤩

Well done on the targets so far. I finished just ahead of ya in the Bob Heffernan (16:27), you must have been able to smell my fear as I oozed misery all over the roads in the final km 😅

No. I guess I'll be having to run a mile 😆

I saw the name on the results but wasn't sure if that was you or that Diablo fella. I didn't smell a thing as I wasn't breathing for that last km myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭quick feet

@Dubh Geannain August 3rd there is a 1 mile race in the Dublin graded meet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Training or lack there of have prevented me from hitting any of the (lofty) goals I set for myself back in Jan. Covid, Hamstring, Phunomia, and various strains all put pay to a solid traing block similar to 2020, and 2021. Total run volume well down on prev years at this point. Anyway :-

1. 19:36 and 2nd on the "Good Run" Easter Charity 5K St Annes about best 5K performance. Also a few 19:3X and up on various local park runs, when ever I want to hurt.
    2. Done, got on the B team, but finished no where. Strong showing from many of the other M50 teams.
    3. Summer Series 2 miler - 12:14 best so far.
    4. Missed Raheny 5 as mentioned above, and was injured for 3 weeks before Dunboyne, but did push and finished in 33:28.
    5. Registered for Kilbeggan and on Aug 09. Will give it a good go. Did run Clontarf 10m and finished in 66:36, Great race very happy.
    6. Half, Ran 1:35 in Bohermeen, but did that as a time trial with Mark rathe that an all out...
    7. Just started the DCM training block. Hopefully sub 3:20 still on the cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Wottle

Closing in on 2,300 miles

Ran 3'25 in Seville and 3'18 in Valencia. Knocked 19 minutes in total off my PB from 2008.

Ran 18'35 at Marlay Parkrun.

Never got to do the mile and don't really see it happening in December.

Done ok listening to the body, I'm the best sleeper ever, good protein intake and getting better at pre and post session carb intake. Not great at listening to the niggles, have a sore heel for at least last 6 months.

Also st 10k & half marathon PBs but not exactly the number I wanted.

Currently at the airport contemplating a sub 40 attempt on the track tomorrow morning. The only thing stopping me are the Olympic standard athletes who've taken it over based on the tracks Instagram page.

Really excited for 2023, and a few lofty goals being formed.

Post edited by Wottle on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

1. A good marathon block and got the consistency in. Was up at 5 days per week from around May time. Tailed off after DCM but building again
    2. I was good until April and then it fell off, I'm looking at the matt and the kettle bell with dust on it as we speak. Next year
    3. Ran over 1,000 miles this year for the first time ever. 2,100km's on the clock today. I think I even had a 10 day running streak.
    4. Done, had a good run :-)

Also I got a 5K PB (official sub 20 for the first time) 10K in a HM and 2 x HM PB's. Not a bad year all round :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭FinnC

I think it’s the first year in a long time I haven’t set a PB in any running distances.

I dunno maybe I’m starting to slow down. I wanted sub 3 in the Marathon this year, which wouldn’t have even been a PB, but only managed 3:06 or something close to that.

I think I’m a long way off my official PBs, maybe I’ve reached my peak and have to start accepting those days are behind me. I suppose I could consider age grade PBs but they don’t really motivate me.

Have even considered maybe going back doing Triathlons which I gave up about 5 years ago. In a way they are actually easier on the body as I would spend most of the time training the swim and bike and it’s not really a PB focused sport like running can be.

I do have Manchester in April so will go for sub 3 there, but after that I dunno. Probably in a bit of a slump at the moment and finding it hard to get motivated or excited about much really.

Sorry to bring the mood of the thread down! Just the way I’m feeling at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,875 ✭✭✭squinn2912

When I consider where I was when I wrote this I absolutely smashed my goals! 2:50:02 and 2:48:09 marathons and 2300 plus miles run this year to date. Niggled again now and I don’t really have a plan for 2023… and I’m ok with that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,061 ✭✭✭✭event

1 - No. Didnt run a 5k race tbf

2 - Yes. 40:50

3 - Yes. 3:39

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

1. Success. 2.58 debut marathon in Limerick

2. Fail. The Summer ended up taking a different direction . No serious 5k or 10k attempts.

3. Training has been fairly consistent. I'm desperately trying to hit the 2600 mile mark by end of the year. Still down on the 2800 but that's ok.

4. Sub 1.21 in December. Was delighted with how I ran. Probably my best run race. Not a pb but a difficult route. Happy.

Overall a decent year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Fail, fail & fail.

Had one marathon and it was a 3'02, didn't attempt to go sub 3.

1,237 miles this year, severely hampered by injury would've got to 1,500 - 1,700 without that.

Think I posted 3 or 4 updates.

Really disappointed looking at that in writing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,061 ✭✭✭✭event

Don't be disappointed with an 8 min PB over a marathon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭4Ad

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Lost4Life

Unfortunately I didn’t post goals at the beginning of 2022, however wanted to reflect on a decent year before resetting in a 2023 thread.

*2022 goals: Updated*

Aim 1: ‘3k: 9.10-9.13 (track)’

2022 Actual: 9.18. Didn’t quite hit the lofty heights set out, however nice improvement from 9.28 in 2021. Didn’t attempt this race after track season finished in summer.

Aim 2: ‘5k: sub 16.’

2022 Actual: 15.59. Six attempts, all floating in around the low 16 mark, and finally achieved this goal in November. Enjoyed crossing the line for this one!

Aim 3: ‘10k: sub 34 later in the year.’

2022 Actual: 33.45. A solid post XC training block in early 2022 ensured I achieved this goal in April 2022. A nice improvement on 34.14.

Aim 4: ‘XC: Improve on last years times/performances’

2022 Actual: XC wasn’t prepped for correctly for the early races, however great to be on the ‘22 senior county winning team (first snr club title in 13 years).

Summary:

Looking back on the 2021 comments, I definitely stuck to my guns. Easy runs easy, on grass. Good sessions, always in the company of others, as much as possible. Rarely did speed sessions alone. Trained with those quicker than myself. Stayed patient in regard to goals - especially on the 5k distance. The time came when I didn’t put pressure on myself. It was always going to be tricky to improve from where I was end 2021 - however staying injury free was very important, good coaching and plenty of recovery.

New learning from 2022: listen to the body - you don’t always have to run for the sake of it (especially when fatigued).

Will need to think about 2023 goals over the next week or so, and shall remember to post this time! 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Got the sub 3:20 (Chicago), did the cross country (Dublin Masters + 2 BHAA), got the 10-mile PB (John Treacy). Did not attempt a 5k. Had one or two PB pacees at parkrun during the year.

Four out of five ain't bad, I suppose! 😀

1. Run a club race or two. For a bit of fun and to actually meet my new clubmates. Done a few. Won some individual and team medals.
    2. Sub 4:50 mile (4:57). 4:35 at the Griffith Avenue Mile. Decision made to retire my log off the back of this.
    3. 2:05 800 m (2:08). A few races this year (and one TT) The Best I manged was a 2:10. The days when I was in peak shape for a proper crack the races ended up being tactical. I'm not sure I was ever in 2:05 shape but would really like to have matched 2:08.
    4. 9:40 3 k (9:46). No attempts. I did run a 9:53 one day training where I was only aiming to go under 10.
    5. Somehow run higher mileage than last year (> 1,411 miles).  1,459 miles
    6. Train a bit smarterI did put myself in good shape for two target races this year and avoided injury with some PBs thrown in. But I also ran a couple of other races without tapering properly too. In particular the Trim 10 mile. I'll give myself a half point on this
    7. Run something in the 16:30s for 5 k (16:59). 16:31 at the Bob Heffernan & Mary Hanley 5 km.
    8. Get under 35:50 in 10 k (35:58) - A softish target and didn't need to go to the well for 35:43 in a TT.
    9. Sub 60 minute 10 miler (1:00:58). 59:56(chip time) at the Trim 10 Mile.

6.5 / 9 and I can't complain about the 3 k as I never gave it a decent go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Didn’t do any of this - well barely ran at all in 2022. Finished the year well though with a 23:50 5k with very low mileage under the belt so a good confidence boost for 2023. I’ll copy and paste for 2023 goals so no thinking involved 🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭marathon2022

I passed the 2000 miles mark at the end of December. All the years looking at the table on the Boards 1000 mile challenge admiring the sheer awesomeness of the guys doing +1000 and even +2000 miles and here I am doing what only a couple of years ago I would have thought was impossible for me. Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Simple goals are easily reached I suppose !

Maybe didn't race enough over the summer but made up for it in the latter months of 2022, plenty of XC racing (and parking of the ego) which will finish up over the next 4 weeks or so, time to transition to the roads then.

Never really got the speed thing back into the legs over 2022, hard to know if that's an age thing (slower to come back) or if its a case of leaving it too late in the year to really focus on racing hard.

Either way, an enjoyable year of running, roll on 2023

Advertisement