Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derry Girls (Channel 4)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,017 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Except it was pretty obvious...given the fact the character was shoe-horned into the episode.

Really dreadful stuff. I did a rewatch of S1 and S2 at start of the year and S3 is honestly the closest thing I've seen to the "Dan Harmon-less years" of Community, but even worse than that.

And that version of "Praise You" over the end was nauseating.

Am hoping given tonight focuses on Good Friday Agreement that it'll be a return to nostalgia of S1 and S2.. because it's unlikely it'll be a return of the humour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Felt like they shoe horned in the death to force some type of emotional response. Not entirely sure what purpose it served

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

what was the point of season 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,443 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

should have done after season 2. there's some good one liners but that's it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,405 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Thought last nights episode was okay, not great but better than the others this year, I think they should probably have stopped at 2 though. I like the idea of doing an episode from a year later to wrap up the story, that could work well.

• Advertisement

i thought they'd be finished school in season 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,744 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think the point of Derry Girls was a group of teenagers in the 1990's who had to deal with the troubles and day to day life. This would include coming out, getting into tricky situations, going to doscos and the death of a parent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Caught up on the last 2 episodes last night in advance of the finale tonight. Thought last week's episode was very good, the girls playing the older cast members from 20 years ago was well done, they were actually very good at it. Last night's episode I wasn't gone on - felt a bit silly and scrappy. I am looking forward to it all wrapping up tonight - I hope it's a good one. Granda has been the stand out character for me this season.

• He's the standout in every season in fairness. The chemistry between him and O'Tiernan is the best part of the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Oh agreed!! I just felt that he's really carried this season compared to the others. If it wasn't for the banter and smart remarks between himself and the son-in-law there wouldn't have been much to watch or laugh at this season.

• Advertisement

• Tonight's episode has to have a scene where someone talks down to Gerry(Tommy Tiernan) and Joe calls the person out and sticks up for Gerry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,085 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

The Good Friday agreement was signed on 10th. April 1998, however ‘The Rockafeller Skank’ by Fatboy Slim wasn’t released until early June of 1998.

#pedantic

#justsaying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭siblers

A lot of that has been lost in season 3. It may as well be set in Dublin in the modern day. Apart from the 90s music, there's very little connection anymore to the 90s, Derry or the Troubles

Lisa McGee waffling away in the paper about all the amazing storylines that didn’t make the cut, perhaps they should have :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭Deeec

Last nights episode was rubbish. The death of a little known character from an aneurysm. Would have made more sense for him to have been a victim of troubles killed on the way back from dropping them to the fatboy slim concert.

Lisa McGee has said that you have to had watched last nights episode to make sense of tonights episode so we'll see what happens tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

In the immortal words of Dylan Moran.

"„Then this song came on—I will never forget it—it was called "The Funk Soul Brother." And I will always remember that because it was also all of the lyrics… and, er, it was that school of songwriting, you know, very easy on the words in case they get wasted, I don't know what— there's a shortage, and… it sounded like a million fire engines chasing ten million ambulances through a war zone and was played at a volume that made the empty chair beside me bleed. And it went, erm, "Funk soul brother… right about now… yeah… it's the, it's the funk soul brother… check it out. It's, er, well… it's the funk soul brother, essentially. He's, er, he's coming. He's coming at you. It's the… well… it's the funk soul brother." And after a while, I began to penetrate the meaning of this song, you know? I gathered that somebody was about to arrive, and everybody else was terribly excited—maybe he was bringing cake, or something, they didn't say—but the thing was, you see, he wasn't there yet. Ha ha, that was the hook! And I'm not saying it's a bad song, you know, or anything like that. All I'm saying is that if you get, I don't know, a broom, say, and dip it in some brake fluid, put the other end up my arse, stick me on a trampoline in a moving lift, and I would write a better song on the walls. That's all I'm saying.“

(Although I have definitely played Right Here, Right Now since watching last nights episode.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,744 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,247 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I enjoyed last night's episode. I found it funny and then emotional at the end. You had to feel sorry for Claire she had just found the love of her life maybe and then her Dad dies.

I am looking forward to tonight's episode. Surprised that C4 did not keep it till next week.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭furiousox

Wff is this $hite?

Get on with it!

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,859 ✭✭✭hynesie08

How the **** are they still in school?

There’s more playing with the timeline than ‘Back To The Future: Part II’.

Ms

Wow Michelle is looking amazing.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

That was quite a cameo at the end!

Ryan Tubridy currently painting the walls white.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

Surely if Claire was living in Strabane she wouldn't have been voting in Derry?

Ms

That was a good last episode. I thought it was anyway

So a movie next ye?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

Thought the third series in general had run out of ideas compared to the first two, but that was a great and fitting final episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Brenatron100

Weak enough as finales go. Drifted through the middle. Didn't need all the fluting around at Jenny's party. A normal 30 min treatment of the same thing would have been more solid.

Advertisement