Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home heating automation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭deezell

Do. I've just realised what you meant about the fuse spur in the way. Your sideways picture threw me. The Horstmann needs 100mm clearance on the left of its base, the Drayton on the right, hence the problem. Upside down as you say, or else swap the spur fuse and Drayton over, they both use identical wall boxes, you'd just need to drag cables around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Ah ok swapping them around would be slick, didn't think of that but I'll see how I go! I could be tempted by the simple solution, as no display on the wiser and would probably have minimum interaction with the buttons on it. I'll open the fuse box up and asses cable slack

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭coff66

Just so I am sure, initially when you suggested that a Tado stat could be wired into the existing heatmiser in the master bedroom, I was of the belief that these could work simultaneously. That the Tado would control the smart TRV's and the heatmiser would still control the master bedroom. From reading this reply it seems that is not the case as the master bedroom does not have a TRV, so when the Tado's are calling for heat the master bedroom will just continue to heat until the Tado's have reached temperature? Or have I totally misunderstood!?

That essay was an interesting read, good to have some understanding as to the way things work. It's also good to know that the Tado is very compatible with the UFH.

I'm suggesting you replace the master bed Heatmiser with a Tado stat. The heatmiser has no facility to interact with other stats or TRVs, it's just a temperature operated switch, with a timer built in. There's no logic in having two different devices call the heat for the zone. The heatmiser is not confined to the master bedroom, it switches on the hot flow to the entire upstairs, but measures the temperature only in the master bedroom. Placing wireless TRV's in the other rooms requires a means to call the zone. TRV's only to a receiver relay connected across the heatmiser would be incongruous, as part of the system would be invisible to the other.

My recommendation is replace the heatmiser in the master bed with a wired Tado stat which can call for heat, but also act as a relay for room TRVs. If the master does not have its own TRV, careful adjustment of the master bed lockshield valve will minimise temperature overrun there if a room TRV calls the zone while the master is at temperature. An ideal TRV zone is when all rads have a TRV, the main stat is the wireless relay for them all, and the master bed TRV uses the main stat temperature sensor to control its operation, not its own built in sensor. (it could use its own sensor, in which case the wired stat is configured as a wireless receiver relay with no temperature measuring function). All this is configurable with the Tado system, with the only wiring being a two wire exchange of the thermostats.

TRVs which work to a receiver relay only without the need for a wall thermostat are not commonly installed, but the Drayton wiser system can be configured thus, with the TRVs calling the receiver relay, independent of the (non wired) wall stat. I consider your system best suited to the Tado wired stat, for ease of installation and expansion to the other two UFH zones.

Of course that all makes sense, I had mixed up what you had said about the wireless receiver and the wired stat from the first response.

Last question I think, it seems that the radiator in the master bedroom is the only one without a TRV, which appears to be the recommendation when having a wall mounted stat the radiator in the same room does not have a TRV. If I put a smart TRV on this radiator will it be essential to take one off another room? Obviously can just do as suggested and leave it as is and use the lockshield to prevent over heating, but this somewhat prevents the whole zone being 'smart' which would be the ideal scenario of going to do it at all.

• Advertisement

It's common enough to leave the bathroom/hall rad open, or on its manual TRV if fitted. It will heat for any room call for heat. Such an arrangement of individual smart TRVs allows finer control of rooms heating and greater savings, provided doors are kept shut. Newer A rated houses have at least manual TRVs in all rooms except the stat equipped one, plus spring loaded door closers. New occupants invariably get fed up of the constant slamming, and disconnect the springs. Having total independent control of each room is then only partially efficient, as warm air moves from one to the other. In this case, you might only install a smart TRV as a local sensor and control in a room which consistently lags behind in heat, which is exactly your case. This goes back to your original query of having more than one stat doing the same job, turning on the entire zone, and of course this is partially what happens when most rads are open or just have manual TRVs to cap their room temperature.

Many users here have implemented full TRV setups, and the need to leave at least one open loop has been discussed, especially in the context of mixed stove/oil or gas sources. This is usuallly hall, landing, or bathroom rad, towel rail etc, plus HW cylinder. It's not an issue though in gas or oil systems, where a simple low flow bypass at the boiler will suffice to protect against closed loop should the boiler be on while the zone is fully closed, a condition that shouldn't occur unless a fault happens,

Some users have used a wireless TRV as an additional stat sensor, sitting on a shelf without physically fitting to the radiator (if it didn't have the correct valve body). This suffices to monitor that room temperature and can be programmed to give the room a boost when it falls below the main master wired stat setting. Again, the master room may heat a little past its set temperature in this instance, but it's a compromise to solve the 'cold corner' issue. I have a single TRV for this purpose on our kitchen rad. It ensures a warm kitchen at specified times, but also reduces cost by closing off during the day and earlier in the evening than the rest of the heated living space.

By now you should have a good idea of the objectives and compromises of individually heating zones, then rooms. It may be overkill if all rooms are in use, and doors are open. It could save you money if unused rooms are capped and doors closed. You might find whirring smart TRVs unacceptable in bedrooms, (I was presented with our master bed TRV like John the Baptists head after her first disturbed nights sleep).

Think it through. Don't underestimate the improvement of good lockshield valve adjustment to prevent overheating of individual non TRV equipped rooms such as your master bed, so a single extra smart TRV wirelessly linked to the smart master wired stat may be all you need to see more balanced upstairs heating. Further smart TRVs present the opportunity for tighter control and some savings, but with the caveats above.

I managed to sucessfully wire up the Drayton Wiser and it 's on the network. Trusting the isolation switch and phase tester was hardest part :-D

It seems to be stuck on the app registering the system online for cloud access. Has anybody had this issue? or does it just take a long time?

The error is now "Failed to verify Hub connectivity with the cloud" please try again. Googling hasn't yielded much so far! All working when i'm in the house. but won't work outside it which would be a major drawback

Turns out the wiring was the easy part...having a very frustrating time with drayton wiser hub

1. The Set up LED doesn't flash for some reason. It doesn't seem to impact the set up as i can still connect to the hub wifi network
    2. I set it up on my home network but it's not stable, keeps dropping. I think this is related to the issue why I can't get it to connect to cloud.

I've power cycled it, created a guest wifi network with no password, but no use. The system remains connected to the network but the app doesn't find it.

I use decco mesh system at home but googling i can't see of anybody having issues for that reason, only with 4G routers manufactured by huawei. I have a TP link 4g router. Others have used a wifi extender to circumvent the 4g router issue which seems specific to huawei so I don't think that could be the issue due to different brand and using a mesh system.

EDIT: I'll call it a day, currently on network so hopefully a firmware upgrade overnight will sort it all! Least i have 5 months before i need to use heating to get this sorted...i hope!

Post edited by mp3ireland2 on

Try removing all the mesh boosters, reset the wiser to factory, connect your phone to the router wifi directly, the redo the hub configuration and then the wifi handover. If it works, reintroduce your mesh.

• Advertisement

You do make a very valid point that I could have been over engineering the whole thing and the simplest solution would be changing the heatmiser stat and adding the smart TRV to the coldest room, but I do like the idea of individual room control for all the bedrooms.

There are a total of 8 radiators in the upstairs zone, explored leaving some on manual TRVs and leave them open and have the smart TRVs in the bedrooms, or could swap out the lockshield to the radiator in the landing and add the smart TRV to the master bedroom.

A lot to consider and good to have a clearer idea of the ins and outs. The financial outlay to all of this will also need to be be considered. Is there any particular site or source that would be considered better value than others or is direct from Tado the best route?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Amazon sometimes reduce the price to under £50 for the tvrs

I've just had an email for this offer valid for a few weeks, but its more or less always available. Starter kit for £100. (€117). These are 'refurbished' but seem brand new out of the box last two I installed. TRVS are £45.49 each (€53) or £84.49 for a pair (€99). Additional wired stats for your UFH are £78 each (€92). So Starter kit stat, 2 extra wired stats and 2 trvs, £349 or €400, free delivery, Irish Vat included and that's Tado.com/ie site despite the pricing in Sterling, which they promised to rectify but still haven’t. Thats a lot of kit for €400, I've had zero problems with 'refurbished' bought for myself and family. I think they are mostly amazon returns, often unopened.

'

Having researched online I found that a strange tip was to power it off, and try registering again with a different email address. I also created a new WiFi network direct from my router for the heating. I'm now connected to the cloud! Some frustration but at least I'm there. The LED not working is a strange one, but I'm reluctant to go the the hassle of remomving it and sending it back to amazon for only that reason!

I'll leave it be for a while and then try to put it on the normal house network. Not the end of the world if that doesn't work. Some people had to create a new network with no security to get it to work....that wouldn't have been good!

Thanks for all your help from system slection, through to install and then trouble shooting! A highlighy recomended heating consultant!

What sort of ballpark figure would a trv valve install be?

I had wanted to keep thermostat in kitchen for the "living area" zone and then have the living room unheated during the day, and the office unheated in the evening. I think it's the most efficient strategy, that doesn't involve moving the stat from the office to the living room at evening time The valves in the older part of the house were updated but strangely the extension ones weren't!

The hardware is just a trv valve body like this, https://www.stevensonplumbing.co.uk/myson-trv-2-way-valve-body-only.html

To swap out for the old manual twist one requires draining the rad, and the removal of the old manual valve from the riser pipe. To avoid draining the whole system, a plumber can freeze the water in the pipe to prevent flow while fitting. Otherwise its time consuming to close off all other rads at both ends, then close off the cold feed and drain down the whole system, followed by filling and removing air. Pumped circuits with perhaps one way valves in line can be a pith to bleed air from, hence the pipe freeze method keeps it local. An hour to hour and a half? I've no idea what a plumber charges, my heart couldn't stand the shock. Not since I was quoted €11 grand for a new oil boiler and HW cylinder during the boom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

do any plumber or heating company provide installation service for replacing regular heating controls with a drayton wiser?

i dont have the skills to do it hence trying to find someone who can do it for me if i purchase all the required kit - controller and trvs

It would be an electrician or a heating company.

As dezell explained to me though it's not as difficult as you think, long as you know which trip switch is used to isolate and you can verify there's no live wires you'll be safe.

Then just connect up the wires per diagrams, comparing the old and new. The live and neutral are obvious and then just three other wires if it's a 2 zone with water. I found it very satisfying giving it a go myself, hadn't done anything like it before.

You'll find that even an electrician might only couple up the wires to the new hub or wired stat, but you'll have to do the device configuration yourself, usually straightforward but you can have issues of mesh networks as described earlier, or existing smart device hubs/dect phones causing interference if too close physically or in frequency to the devices own wireless spectrum (smart TRVs/wireless wall stats don't use WiFi, they use much lower power and bitrate connections to their hub, which is mains powered and can support the power demand of a WiFi connection to the router). A sparks is not going to want to get involved in this. Its no surprise that brands of 'not so smart' heating controls popular with the trade in new builds and upgrades are simple ready paired devices, or ones which will work manually with app connection a later add on for the owner to play with. EPH and Heatmiser are a bit like that.

As for installation of TRVs, a plumber will change the valve body of your rad if it doesn't already have manual TRVs, but again adding the smart TRV head is a trivial task, by screwing down a knurled ring nut to the valve. Once firmly fitted, the configuration and calibration is something you usually do yourself, the plumber may not be familiar with the brand or have ever set them up. Youll need a certain familiarity as you will have to replace batteries from time to time, which is usuallly a twist off of the smart TRV Head in the case of Tado, a little side panel on Drayton.

Churchfield home services are a company who would have the expertise for Honeywell, Nest, EPH and Climote. The latter two are not particularly versatile or smart. The Nest was a leader on it's introduction, but it doesn't have a TRV option. I remember back a long time ago a Nest installation from this company was 4 multiples of the cost of the Nest stat itself, 11 or 12 hundred euro, so they obviously considered it tedious, time consuming and fraught with problems. It was the first smart install I ever did, abroad, and to an attic gas boiler. Nest have their own unique method of wiring the stat to the receiver over a low voltage isolated pair, or wirelessly with a power adapter to the stat.

If you run into probelms with the set up let me know as I've been through the frustration this weekend!

The main advice is if you have trouble connecting to the cloud (it will be loading for ages or sometimes give an error) in the app on your phone

1. Hit the back button (on phone) and you'll see the set up locally if connected to the same wireless network.
    2. If you are using a mesh network activate the router's own network, this may help with below (if not ignore this step)
    3. Turn off the power to the wiser hub (using trip switch)
    4. Turn on the wiser unit (using trip switch) and press set up button
    5. Go through set up again under a new email address (If you have gmail through a random full stop into your standard email address anywhere before the @. Then it'll go to your regular gmail address.
    6. Connect to the wifi router network.
    7. Skip adding devices (they are already connected to the drayton wiser hub)
    8. Hopefully it'll now connect to the cloud and then your homepage will load with all devices on it.

Connecting to the router directly may not be necessary but it's eliminating a possible issue, a deezel suggested. I've now moved mine back to the mesh and no issues.

Hopefully the above helps you or somebody else!

I must say Drayton customer support were very responsive today when back in offce, they arrived into a blog with most of problems solved by the end of weekedn :-D

They are sending me wall mounting brackets for my thermostats as there were none with my kit. And i'm sending them a video now to show that i've no green LED working next to set up button

• Advertisement

The hardware is so cheap! The heating guy who fixed the boiler when it wasn't firing up seems to offer this and do BER reports. I've to get a BER report in august after solar panels are fitted also have a leaking tap and a loose tap that i coudln't figure out so maybe if I get a few things done at once it'll be better value...I'll take the hit! Freezing the water is a clever idea.

Thanks again deezell, I have a shopping cart on the Tado site with over £500 worth of kit in it!

Think I have decided that leaving the master bedroom radiator with the lockshield in place will be the least invasive method of getting the smart set up, and possibly being able to DIY it. If down the line I am struggling to control the heat in the master bedroom with the lockshield adjustment, I can look at getting a plumber in to add the smart TRV to that radiator.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

thanks guys for the input. i will be having a new radiator fitted in next few weeks. may be i will ask the guy to help me in replacing the panel. i will then work myself on configuration. lets see

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

What are the opinions here on the new ecobee smart thermostat, with supplied SmartSensor (additional SmartSensor at €50 each)

Does this do away with the requirement for Smart TRV's installed on rads? I have yet to invest in a smart thermostat, I think something like this could save me allot of effort. I can either carry the SmartSensor to whatever room I'm in (usually its the homeoffice during day, or sitting room at evening) or buy additional smart sensors and enable to presence detection feature. I'd appreciate any opinions before I buy.

https://www.ecobee.com/en-us

It's a thermostat only, it is designed for the US market to interface with HVAC systems, (heating, ventilation and a/c.) None of its connections (and there are many) are designed to work directly with mains switched boiler or wireless TRV valve controls. To give you a flavour of this, here are the wiring connections for the Ecobee and the Nest (US version).

ECOBEE

NEST

As you can see, this is a standard connection scheme over there, but alien here, in UK or Europe. The first Nest I was asked to install years ago was the US version, and had to be returned and replaced with the European version, which came with receiver box and mains switching relays. I'm not aware that Ecobee intend devising a version for the European Market. If they did, it would be similar to the UK/EU Nest, capable of measuring and controlling the heating in the zone in which it sensed the temperature, with all the other bells and whistles of a smart stat, scheduling, geofencing, learning etc.

Additional sensors to measure temperature in other zones or locations are only really effective if that zone has a controllable switched heat source, such as a separate zone valve, or TRVs on its radiators. I'm always amused by declarations from users of certain brands of single stat that somehow a single electric switch responding to the temperature of a single room can somehow magically divert the heating independently to required area, without overheating an other area. I've had some heated (!) arguments on other fora and here over the zealous beliefs of some users. Hub controller and Climote come to mind.

So, in short, it won't work here, unless you have a fully integrated and zoned low voltage HVAC system and controls, with multiple zones, and even then, its still only a single stat. You can add as many Tados, Nests, Hives as you want all over your house, but if your heating plumbing is whole house, unzoned, then any sensor will turn on the heat to the entire house. At best an extra stat will keep the heating running for the coldest room, but will overheat the others unless they at least have mechanical TRVs on the rads.

There is no magic bullet to replace plumbed zoning, despite all the marketing hype (rhymes with tripe) put out by proponents of so called smart one stat solutions. They even conned the DOE and the EU with dodgy stats, the net result of which was the installation of grant approved single stats turning manual stat 2 zone heating systems back to single zone, with claims that it was more efficient.

The Ecobee site reads a bit like that tbh, lots of claims, no mention of how your existing system is configured or installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

I have a hive single zone thermostat, with some hive trv's. Currently like this when the heat comes on the gas boiler heats the radiators and hot water tank. Is there a smart way to set things up so that the water can be heated independently of the radiators?

I'm assuming before you got Hive it was always the case that heating hot water required the radiators to be heated also. Or did you have a system with a rotary timer beside the boiler and a manual wall stat for the heating? I've seen this arrangement, and it works simply enough in that the timer operates the gas boiler which will always heat the HW cylinder when it fires, pumped flow from the gas boiler going directly to it. Flow to the radiators on the other hand is controlled by a single motorised valve in the CH circuit, controlled by the wall stat. Set the timer on and you have HW only, turn up the thermostat and you have both. In warmer weather the CH will remain off, or can be forced off by turning down the stat. It was simple and it worked. It's considered to be a two zone system, (or a zone and a half, as you always heat the HW when operating the CH, not necessarily inefficient if the HW cylinder is insulated, it will only take what it needs from the flow).

Replacing the manual stat and the timer with a single zone combined stat and timer such as the Hive removes the independent heating of HW, as the Hive will now fire the boiler as a timer, only when it opens the CH valve as a thermostat.

IF your system was as described above, you should have had a Hive receiver with separate HW timer relay fitted, with the HW relay wired to the old timer position, and the CH relay wired to the CH valve. The Hive receiver is then configured in 'Gravity' mode (10 second press of HW button followed by three blue light flashes). This allows a CH timing event fire the boiler via the HW terminal, while opening the CH valve via the CH terminal.

If you always had only HW and CH on together, the addition of a zone valve and a hive 2 channel receiver will allow the above HW only operation. If you already have a Hive receiver with both HW and CH buttons, then someone made a bags of your installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

Thanks for the reply Deezel. It has always been like this for as long as I can remember. I will look into having a valve installed and take things from there.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

It sounds like I have a similar set up.

Originally I had a mechanical clock on the (system) boiler which was replaced with a Hive dual channel receiver.

In the hall I had a manual wall stat which I understand is not wired back to the boiler at all but rather is wired to and opens a valve in my hot press to direct water to the radiators if the wall stat temperature drops below the set temperature.

As originally installed this only allowed me crude separation of heating and hot water as the heating schedules on Hive don't interact well with the mechanical stat. The installer (who was under the auspices of Bord Gais their partner at the time) just shrugged at my wife when queried (unfortunately I wasnt home at the time of install) and said to turn the wall stat all the way down in the summer to turn off the rads and all the way up in winter to turn them on.

I actually hacked together a workaround a few years ago where I replaced the wall stat with a Z Wave on/off switch controlled by a Raspberry Pi running Domoticz (could do similar with Home Assistant). It has a plugin that can read the Hive status (and also control it) so I set up routines to open/close the radiator valve in the Hot Press depending on whether it is reading various combinations of Hive heating & Hot water on or off. This worked well for a time but it is community developed by reverse engineering the Hive API which is not officially supported so has broken a number of times (and has for me again recently).

Therefore I am looking again at whether I can put a better fix in place. I am not familiar with Hive HW and CH relay's are those alternative terms for the receivers? I am only aware of dual channel (for heat and hot water which I have) and single channel (for heat only or maybe also additional zones?).

By my boiler I have a dual channel receiver (see pics below). This appears to be wired Neutral / Live / HW OFF & CH OFF not connected and HW ON and CH ON bridged and connected to a black wire I assume goes to the boiler to switch it on.

Is there a relay or receiver I could use to replace my Z wave switch in order to control the hot press valve directly with Hive? One thought I have had is could I use an additional single channel receiver for this (probably set as an additional zone) and have my heating schedule use this zone.

Would that have the first receiver fire the boiler when needed? How would I wire it? I am pretty sure I have a Neutral / Live and switched Live where the stat was (now wired to my Z wave switch). If this is feasible would I wire the switched live to CH On and would I need to leave or remove the bridge on the receiver at the boiler?

If removing the bridge on the dual channel would I switch it to Gravity mode (and have the second zone on normal).

I have seen some wiring diagrams that bridge the Live to Common on heat only, would I do that?

I realise this still won't give me totally independent control of heat and hot water (which would be the ideal) it would at least allow me to have the hot water on without heating radiators unless the house was also cold enough to require it (which is the minimum I want).

Also I presume I could possibly achieve similar by having a sparks run wiring between the boiler receiver and hot press valve but I don't really want to punch holes in ceilings and upstairs floors at the moment.

• Advertisement

Without reading a paragraph of your post, I can see in the picture that the two outputs of your Hive receiver/(relay), CH On and HW On, have been joined together, rendering your entire system a single zone. Massive fail by the installer. A disgrace. He probably was a subbie, with a fixed fee for installation. You've no comeback at this stage, if you changed the Hive receiver firmware. All your system required was a little bit of wiring from the receiver to the boiler and the valve, which our friend wasn't prepared to do. The fact that he left the old stat in circuit proves his laziness or incompetence.

If you can return the switched live control wire from the valve back to the receiver, remove the black strap between terminals 3 and 4, connect the black wire to 3, HW On, and your valve control wire to 4, CH On, then assuming your Hive receiver firmware is still operational or can be restored, configure the receiver into 'Gravity' mode. Take the old stat and/or your Z wave relay off the wall and seal up the cables. Your Hive stat will control your CH independently of HW timings. HW cylinder will heat during CH calls which is not an issue, and not wasteful of heat once the cylinder is properly insulated. In fact its likely that during CH calls, the hot flow is not going to be as hot as during HW only calls, so the flow through the cylinder during HW calls may not transfer much to already heated water.

I shudder to think of the millions in grants that went to utility companies to botch install useful smart systems like Hive, and some useless brands as well. As I said earlier, I seen quotes of €1100 for installation of €250 worth of hardware, and this was net of grant. The promotions of free Hive or other stats were worth hundreds of euro to the utilities in EU credits, in your name and backed up by fanciful statistics, and in some cases equally useless wall thermostats. Bad stats and useless stats!

You'll have it working as it should in no time.

Edit. The valve control wire is the switched side of the old wall stat, it might help in getting it to the Hive receiver, rather than down from the hot press

Hive receiver relay outputs.

Post edited by deezell on

Advertisement