Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What unpopular food opinion do you have?

Options
  • 18-05-2022 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Patsy167

To get the ball rolling...I would choose a good pizza or gourmet burger over a fancy 5* restaurant meal any day, even if money were no object.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I have many.

Ketchup belongs in the press, never the fridge.

Mayo belongs in the bin.

That nuclear orange, ersatz sauce you get in the likes of Eddie Rockets is far superior on cheese fries than actual cheese.

Burger King > McDonald's.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Carbonara is far better with cream added.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,747 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Thread started with what is likely a very popular food opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 14,747 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I agree here. I actually think Burger King is awfully underrated (maybe a lack of marketing in Ireland doesn't help from our perspective)

Supermacs though, although nice, is awfully overrated

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Pizza is just fancy toast with toppings.

Pickled vegetables' be it cabbage, onions or kimchi are all horrible and just taste acidy.

Sorbet is superior to Ice cream.

Supermacs is superior to McDonalds.

No one actually likes salads, they like salad dressing and cheese/protein.

Beige dinners (chips and nuggets etc) aren't only for kids and once they're not everyday are fine.

It should be acceptable just to sit and eat a bowl of cream or custard with toppings as if it was ice cream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Cold baked beans straight out of the can are delicious.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭hayse

I had a hot Indian take away last night my ring is on fire. Never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Processed cheese slices are better than real cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭XLR 8

Pop a jax roll in the freezer hayse :)

Any Supermacs chicken is excellent. Shame about their chips. Haven't tried their beef burgers to compare to other fast food chains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭Allinall

I should have gave a few examples - Easy Singles ("Mature" version is the gold standard) is better than Gouda/Cheddar/Edam slices for any sandwiches, burgers, melting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

An egg a day is okay!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,320 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I'd have Lidl crisps over Tayto any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Mr shmar

Eating a whole large tomato by itself, once ripe, is very tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,320 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Both come in disappointing sad little bags, but yes King is nicer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Well, I agree processed cheese slices ("american cheese") are superior on burgers. Although premium ingredients are used for the meat, bun and condiments in places like Dash Burger, they default back to processed cheese slices because they 'steam' and melt better than anything else. There's a split in my house over this, everyone else goes for a cheddar that I feel just ends up rubbery, and has a less pleasant mouthfeel.

But I'm not sure this is really that unpopular an opinion, considering how widespread the use of this cheese on burgers is.

I personally wouldn't use it in any other context, particularly where it's not melted.

A truly unpopular opinion? Hard to actually think of something that there isn't at least minority support for...

I guess I'd suggest that truly, truly good pizza, from the likes of Little Forest and Pi Pizza, is all about the base and the tomato and cheese toppings. I sometimes think the truest expression of good pizza is just a margarita, not when it's loaded down with a whole load of other ingredients. It's not a question of not liking the extras, it's that I think it takes away from appreciating the base and the tomato and cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,582 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Bechemel sauce in dishes like Lasagne, just don't get it.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I remembering hearing a podcast that any toppings that don't appear on the Italy flag are frowned upon - The Italian flag made up of three ingredients that help form the base of the country's cuisine: basil, mozzarella and tomatoes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭dmc17

Absolutely. Those little sunstream tomatoes or similar out of the fridge on a hot summers day are divine!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Nachos are just wrong. Saucy or melty stuff shouldn't be put on crispy stuff.

No cheeses is the best cheese on a burger.

Poached eggs don't need hollandaise.

Tayto Bistro is the best cheese and onion crisp available.

A crisp sandwich is better with decent bread than with sliced pan, obviously. And can have ham, cheese or other ingredients.

Irish stew is never made with beef and is never browned or thickened, no matter what your family had and called it Irish stew !

Shepherd's pie is made with ground, roast lamb or mutton, no matter what your family had...

Marmite and honey is great on toast.

Stuffed vine leaves are rank.

Water is way better without ice.

Doesn't everyone think Burger King is way better than McDonald's?

Almost every pizza in Ireland has way too much topping. Way too much.

We deserve the expensive rubbish pizzas, as a nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭ongarite

Ketchup belongs in the bin, not the fridge.

Ketchup on a steak is a war crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

is matt the rashers still in Kimmage? i'd murder a fry with Liver

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

The senses of smell and taste are inextricably linked. Most things taste similar to how they smell and vice versa.

The characteristic “fishy” smell of fish and seafood comes from trimethylamine - a compound that is present in their flesh. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trimethylamine

Trimethylamine is also produced by bacteria in cases of bacterial vaginosis, hence the smell in that case too. They’re not just similar smells, they are literally, chemically, the exact same smell.

I find this smell, and it’s associated flavour to be revolting, hence fish and seafood is pretty much the only thing I won’t eat.

I’ve tried it numerous times, fresh caught, I just don’t like it…..and it smells like dirty vag.

Also Supermacs is fuckin mank

• Advertisement

My favourite pizza is Domino’s Pepperoni pizza.

It might not be traditional pizza, the Italians might despise it, I don’t care.

I’ll eat ‘proper’ pizza if I am in Italy or a nice restaurant but if I have the choice I would always choose Domino’s Pepperoni pizza.

🍕

Advertisement